YesNoOk

Joe (SF1) - Spriting has begun! First Anims on Page 4! (Read 122733 times)

Started by Sean Altly, April 23, 2014, 11:42:51 pm
Share this topic:
Joe (SF1) - Spriting has begun! First Anims on Page 4!
#1  April 23, 2014, 11:42:51 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly

So, over in the Full Game section, you may have noticed a little project gaining steam, MFG Presents Street Fighter. I asked JNP if he thought there might be some interest in maybe crowd funding a sprite set for an update of Street Fighter 1's Joe. We discuss it at length HERE.

There have been some interesting ideas being thrown around, but the general consensus is that Joe would be a bit of a Tyler Durden type, a pit fighter who maybe has a screw loose but is otherwise an average guy. He would have a mix of some Kickboxing (based on his original character bio) and some rough street fighting/MMA type stuff. The moveset hasn't been fully fleshed out yet, but we'll get there. As we iron out more details, I'll add them here.

The above sprite is my take on him with a few different design concepts. I prefer the mechanic's shirt, but some others prefer the hoodie or shirtless design. We can discuss that here as well.

Anyone who is willing to donate, let me know in this thread, and I'll keep a tally that I will update regularly. Don't send money until we know we'll have enough, and in the same vein, please don't say you'll donate if you can't (though unexpected changes in income are understandable). Please specify how much you can donate so the tally can be accurate.

My goal is $350. If that seems cheap for a whole sprite set, it's because I have had some passing interest in Joe in the past. If that seems expensive, well, you have no idea how much work goes into spriting. :P

If you have no interest in donating, that's fine, you can still discuss the character and other things like that here, but let's try to keep it on topic.

Here's some art of the character's original appearance in SF1, for comparison's sake.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

***CURRENT DONATION TALLY***

Donations PLEDGED:

JNP: $100
Iced: $20 (approximate exchange on 15 euros)
Judas: $100
Ink: $110-130
Senorfro: $10
Balthazar: $40

Total: $380-400

Possible Donations:
Walt: $20
Gritsmaster: $20-40

Total: $40-60

Donations RECEIVED:

JNP: $100
Ink: $130
Balthazar: $40
Senorfro: $15
Iced: $20
Judas: $50

Total: $355

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:13:22 am by Sean Altly
Re: Joe (SF1) - Character for MFG's Street Fighter project (Seeking Donations!)
#2  April 23, 2014, 11:53:00 pm
  • SNK is life
Loved Original or Shirt. It looks like a very viable design that I'd love to see re-incorporate into the SF mythos.

Sean in the other thread said:
If you look at the way Adon, Birdie, and Joe were updated for later games, it was never just a straight respriting or anything. Their designs got extra details, flourishes, and exaggerations.
I didn't perceive it that way. In the vein of SF4 ("back to basic") he should be shirtless though, to keep it simple and sticking to SF canon so he doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, since for the most part the SF1 designs have been largely unchanged (Gen was barely changed, I see no changes in Adon, Eagle unchanged too)

I can't guarantee this, but I'm sure I could donate $20 (just gotta get a Paypal up and running, with my goddamn phobia of electronic commerce and providing vital sensitive information through the internets)
Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:57:04 pm by walt
#3  April 24, 2014, 12:15:37 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Original looks great to me, for now you can consider 15euros from me.

I liked your ghost step thing more than the one I was suggesting too.
#4  April 24, 2014, 12:17:43 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll contribute $100 towards this.  I prefer shirtless and it'd be simple to later go back and add a muscle shirt CS
#5  April 24, 2014, 12:26:56 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
@Walt

Eagle got gloves, his bowtie was changed to an open collar and an ascot. Adon's hair was exaggerated more, and he got hand wraps (though he has the wraps in his artwork, but not on the sprites). Birdie doesn't even look like the same character. Gen's changes are admittedly very minor, but the added sash and more exaggerated beard (not to mention the longer hair and hat added in SF4) definitely fall into the category of "extra details, flourishes, and exaggerations." Considering Cody was going to be Joe, that would have been a major design change. I don't think adding an open shirt would make him stick out like a sore thumb, and I honestly wasn't a big fan of SF4's "back to basics" approach anyway.

@JNP

While I like the shirt better, if enough people insist I'll definitely stick to shirtless. Way easier to animate for me.

Download Last Bout now!
#6  April 24, 2014, 12:36:43 am
  • SNK is life
Just one more thing - I think his face could use a bit more light, and most of the art pieces I've seen of him have him smirking or outright smiling, so... I dunno

#7  April 24, 2014, 12:40:30 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1

That looks great. I like it.
#8  April 24, 2014, 12:41:17 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yep, adds to the character too. He's free when he's fighting. Actually able to enjoy his true self/nature.
#9  April 24, 2014, 12:47:48 am
  • SNK is life
Here's a still frame for you guys to look into detail, if it's of any help.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#10  April 24, 2014, 12:51:54 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I picture that stance where he kinda hops back and forth from foot to foot. Kind of like Vanessa's stance when she starts hopping.

#11  April 24, 2014, 12:54:07 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice wish you luck sean shirtless is definitly my favorite
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#12  April 24, 2014, 12:55:31 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I will check my funds later to see how I can contribute. Joe is looking great!
#13  April 24, 2014, 12:58:30 am
  • Merciless.
    • USA
    • blackdevilscream.com
I'll chip in $100. Expect it to be two separate $50s, though. Funding and junk.
#14  April 24, 2014, 01:02:27 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#15  April 24, 2014, 01:04:34 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
That updated face looks nice, thanks Walt. I assume it had so little light before because of his hair.

@Judas

Thanks man! By the way, haven't forgotten about your sprites! Working on them today actually.

@JNP

Yeah, that's a cool concept. I'll see if I can make it work.

@Ink

Looks like stuff is adding up fast, you might not have to throw in much, haha.

Thanks to everyone else commenting.

Download Last Bout now!
#16  April 24, 2014, 01:05:34 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/

more like, rick strowd bounce.

I forgot about him. :v

Still, the on one leg then the other though. He just bounces on both. Combine the current Joe stance with Vanessa leg movement (at a slower swaying pace) and Strowd's stance.
#17  April 24, 2014, 01:07:59 am

The smile fits the character. I'm not sure about the forehead lighting edit you did though, doesn't the hair cast a shadow that covers his face? Maybe it's just me, but I would have kept SeanAltly's shading (I'm just talking about the face).

Well, Sean said it himself (:ninja:).
#18  April 24, 2014, 01:09:52 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The hair probably would cast a shadow but I think the extra lighting makes it pop more. Aesthetics > reality
#19  April 24, 2014, 01:10:57 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#20  April 24, 2014, 01:37:08 am
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Maybe considering the style as far as ideas, it may be good to compile a list of users of the same sort of fight style, as far as Street Fighting goes, I immediately think of Miguel/Bruce from Tekken, but I don't know if many of their moves would translate well into Joe. I guess the nice thing is since the original characters had a fairly limited move set you can take a fair bit of creative liberty with some aspects of him. Good luck though man, I'd certainly contribute or donate if I had the money, perhaps as work picks up now that I'm finished school.

Also...if you haven't seen it it may help to work some ideas out with the guys in the topic below
http://mugenguild.com/forum/boardseen./topics/joe-mike-lee-retsu-geki-139549.msg1950167.html#new