Started by Demitri, January 17, 2015, 07:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Display name question
#1  January 17, 2015, 07:08:36 pm
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
First off, sorry if this is the wrong place but I couldn't think of where it would be better to post this.

So obviously everyone has a username they register with, then the display name. Once that display name is taken by someone, obviously it can't be used. But what happens when the person who takes said display name almost never posts and hasn't logged in in 8+ years and someone (like me) wants it?

Obviously it'd be unethical to delete the user in-case they suddenly decide to come back and happen to know their login and whatnot, but I've actually released a few things under this name and have been using it since 2008.

Could there be some kind of display name change done for that person until they login or a sort of request forum that staff can review and decide if they'll make that change/exception?
Or am I just stuck with this silly period before my name forever?

GLB

Re: Display name question
#2  January 17, 2015, 11:08:42 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
You're stuck with it.  :devil:
#3  January 17, 2015, 11:15:43 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
kinda of a hard question, he has the original account with that name even
#4  January 17, 2015, 11:34:36 pm
  • stillRetired.
    • USA
 ¬_¬ I did not notice that

Hmm i wanna argue the being offline for over 8 years but then like i said who knows if they'd log in....
What if i 'borrowed' it until they logged in (could PM them with a link to this topic and I guess work it out from there if they ever signed in?)
#5  January 17, 2015, 11:41:00 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
That doesn't sound like an irrational request at all, that user has a grand total of 3 posts and hasn't posted since the triassic mugen period. I think it's fair to assume he won't mind.
#6  January 18, 2015, 01:07:23 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The 3 posts he made can't even be accessed. Meh, being 8 years and no post history to do anything with I don't see too much harm in just removing the account and they could make a new one if they came back. Most people do after that long anyway.

What you say Iced?
#7  January 18, 2015, 01:30:58 am
  • stillRetired.
    • USA
Yay!

The inquisitive part of me wants to know why an admin can't even see the 3 posts? slightly offtopic i know
#8  January 18, 2015, 01:50:26 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
I agree.

There was a point where the old foruns had to be archived, after a few bad attacks from other communities.

Turn .genesis into genesis then.
#9  January 18, 2015, 02:21:33 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Done. I hope your email account was accurate because it just sent you a new email. You'll have to sign in with a new pass.
#10  January 18, 2015, 02:24:23 am
  • stillRetired.
    • USA
All is good. Thanks for hearing me out and helping me out guys!