YesNoOk

Castle Crashers (Blue Knight) Sprite Project (Read 24098 times)

Started by RandomLake, November 23, 2014, 07:36:52 am
Share this topic:
Re: Castle Crashers (Blue Knight) Sprite Project
#21  February 07, 2015, 01:43:50 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
Well, he's supposed to be wearing armor. I think it looks pretty good.
I think a highlight color for the "blue" would add to the image.
vs

Also, I think your sprite look great but I've noticed something browsing the forum.

If you notice how he drops the black outline, it adds to the character. Obviously you NEED the black outlines now in the early stages. I'm just pointing this out because I think it make such a difference. Bringing it up in case you've never seen it.

There aren't black outlines though, just darkest shades of the palette. It would look good with the traditional "shading color to outline lit areas" or some more detailed SFA style anti-aliasing but there's no need to go any more extreme on it.

What I would say is that some things appear to be lit slightly apart from areas next to them - mostly in the right (artist's left) knee and foot, and where the two segements of the shoulder pauldrons are, it doesn't look quite like they're all being lit from the top-right. The sword is probably better mostly in shadow as it's obscured by his big head and not quite large enough to keep the shading discernable.

Also, judging by the shape of their heads (a big flat cylinder), the light probably shouldn't be curving around his helmet so much - more of straight shading with a little curve towards the bottom would be my suggestion, and looking at games official art.

That's my take anyway - I also made his thumb and the sticky-out bit on their helmets a little chunkier, push the eyebrow in a pixel and a tiny bit of shiny metal shading - think Dr. Doom or Magneto in MVC.
Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:19:46 pm by The 100 Mega Shock!
Re: Castle Crashers (Blue Knight) Sprite Project
New #22  February 21, 2015, 05:53:12 am
  • Learning The Ropes.
  • Back to Rise!
    • Mexico
    • fabiansolares3@gmail.com
Well, he's supposed to be wearing armor. I think it looks pretty good.
I think a highlight color for the "blue" would add to the image.
vs

Also, I think your sprite look great but I've noticed something browsing the forum.

If you notice how he drops the black outline, it adds to the character. Obviously you NEED the black outlines now in the early stages. I'm just pointing this out because I think it make such a difference. Bringing it up in case you've never seen it.

There aren't black outlines though, just darkest shades of the palette. It would look good with the traditional "shading color to outline lit areas" or some more detailed SFA style anti-aliasing but there's no need to go any more extreme on it.

What I would say is that some things appear to be lit slightly apart from areas next to them - mostly in the right (artist's left) knee and foot, and where the two segements of the shoulder pauldrons are, it doesn't look quite like they're all being lit from the top-right. The sword is probably better mostly in shadow as it's obscured by his big head and not quite large enough to keep the shading discernable.

Also, judging by the shape of their heads (a big flat cylinder), the light probably shouldn't be curving around his helmet so much - more of straight shading with a little curve towards the bottom would be my suggestion, and looking at games official art.

That's my take anyway - I also made his thumb and the sticky-out bit on their helmets a little chunkier, push the eyebrow in a pixel and a tiny bit of shiny metal shading - think Dr. Doom or Magneto in MVC.

I took some of your advice.

However i like his helmet as it looks like in the game so i'm gonna keep it like that.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Also working on his new Standing Anim.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Thanks by the way.

Edit:
Updated the first post with the new Standing Anim. and some sketches.
Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:55:41 am by RandomLake