• Welcome to die!
    • USA
    • Skype - thepaniqd
Re: #GamerGate
#22  March 06, 2015, 04:03:57 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Where's the "I'm neutral and couldn't care to be involved with all that dramatic bullshit." option in the poll? XD

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#23  March 06, 2015, 04:04:11 am
  • Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
Looks like a lot of people are misinformed/don't care so gimmy a moment and ima get all the useful links in the op.
#24  March 06, 2015, 04:14:45 am
gamergate will never "end", and neither will social justice warriors. they're mostly silent until shit happens.

having lurked the gg boards and the twitter hashtags, the idea that gamergate is a movement to keep women out of games or just harass them and send death threats to them is ridiculous. professional victims like anita sarkeesian are the kind of people that file criticism as harassment. i believe some people have said horrible shit in the name of gamergate, but that's bound to happen. anyone can identify as gamergate just like anyone can identify as democrat or republican or whatever, and they can make that mindset look shitty by doing shitty things. gamergate is not about doing that kind of shit. if it was, the amount of death threats these people would be getting would be gigantic.

if there's one kinda disingenuous and hypocritical thing a huge portion of gamergate supporters have done (i saw it happen, lots of tweets, lots of posts in threads) it was the mass emailing to gawker's advertisers because one gawker writer made a joke about bullying nerds
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/522771545287303169
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/522771545287303169
they did something social justice warriors are known for: phony outrage. tons of it. that's a dumb little joke that in the grand scheme of things isn't going to change anyone's life, but let's take it out of context and blow it out of proportion. it worked, several advertisers pulled out of gawker, reportedly costing them "thousands, maybe even millions". it was hypocritical, but you know what? i was really fucking happy this happened, because gawker takes shit out of context all the time with the intent of ending and burying careers. it was nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine. sucks, doesn't it
#25  March 06, 2015, 04:25:56 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
The problem that GamerGate created was two fold, IMO.

On one side is the social justice warriors (horrible name, BTW. Whose idea was that to give these people that name). I understand the need for equality, but they have to start wondering at what price would it take for their goals? Yes, there are games out there that can be considered sexist. Yet, they don't see that are far bigger issues in gaming today then the perceived notion of 'equality'.

Then you have the people... scratch that, the cowards who hide behind the #GamerGate name and attacked people who challenged the notion of what a video game could be. This whole thing started as a 'he said, she said' argument between two people who were fighting. The idea of threatening people with violence and rape threats and other heinous acts is just beyond disgusting to me. As human beings, there has to be at least some notion of reason in the world. The actions here just prove that the internet is a great place to hide and attack... no one ever knows who you are when you're behind a computer screen.

I feel that this whole thing is a waste of time. I said this before... there are far bigger issues in gaming today then this argument over equality. Until we, as gamers, can put down the pitchforks and stop attacking people who defend people like Brianna Wu or Zoe Quinn, then the notion of 'equality' may never be reached.

The sad part: The whole notion of GamerGate was dealing with real issues within the industry, yet many people hijacked the name and laid out some vicious attacks. To me, that's the worst part of this.
It must be the May birthdays.
#26  March 06, 2015, 04:40:10 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
they did something social justice warriors are known for: phony outrage. tons of it. that's a dumb little joke that in the grand scheme of things isn't going to change anyone's life, but let's take it out of context and blow it out of proportion. it worked, several advertisers pulled out of gawker, reportedly costing them "thousands, maybe even millions". it was hypocritical, but you know what? i was really fucking happy this happened, because gawker takes shit out of context all the time with the intent of ending and burying careers. it was nice to see them get a taste of their own medicine. sucks, doesn't it

... it's almost eerie how much I agree with this. I hate those tactics because I think it's stupid to destroy someone's career over some stupid shit taken out of context (or worse, shit that happened years ago), but holy SHIT did Gawker and tons of others deserve it just to show them how it feels.
#27  March 06, 2015, 04:44:51 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Equality in videogames is a frivolous goal, and all the people preaching it should honestly get a better cause. But hey, gaming journalism ethic is equally meaningless, so whatever.
#28  March 06, 2015, 04:50:54 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
My understanding of this whole Gamergate thing is that it is two camps of incredibly shitty people being incredibly shitty at each other in a very loud manner for reasons that are vague and muddled at best.  Am I close?

That is precisely my feelings about it.
From my personal experiences with this movement both sides pretty much act the same so yeah same here
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#29  March 06, 2015, 04:53:27 am
how are ethics in games journalism meaningless? i don't want a bunch of shitheads colluding to bring down games and developers i like
#30  March 06, 2015, 05:01:51 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
...well yeah, that's a fair point. Unethical media can create an unfair market.
#31  March 06, 2015, 05:10:46 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yep, enjoy your censored games apparently later games are getting even more male characters because of sjws, as making female character is extremely limited less you step on someone's toes.
#32  March 06, 2015, 05:34:12 am
i don't necessarily hate SJWs, alot of them were really supportive to the families of the muslims kids who got murdered, and they're generally respectful to other people's religions. so yeah, I'm neutral.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#33  March 06, 2015, 08:08:27 am
  • Welcome to die!
    • USA
    • Skype - thepaniqd
#34  March 06, 2015, 08:20:54 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
yeah I'm on the "play some damn games and fuck politics" side. At this point I'm almost convinced both sides are just angry tweens on tumblr taking a break from putting on gray bodypaint and drinking tea to yell at each other and get "triggered." Reminds me I should check on Dashcon 2015's status

* Jango Hakamichi checks

oh it got cancelled
#35  March 06, 2015, 09:09:38 am
  • For honor!
My stance is "I'm busy playing a video game go take this shit seriously somewhere else."
Iroha stripped for me
#36  March 06, 2015, 09:35:48 am
pro GG said:
Gamergate is about ethics in game journalism and public representation
SJWs are "white privileged" who claim to fight somebody else's fight but are just intolerant and only want their side to win, rather than actual equality
SJW said:
SJW is about stopping mob mentality against women and promoting equal gender representation
GG send death and rape threats and are mentally deranged human beings
Do I get cookies

Addendum ;
Both sides only see the worst of the other side and demonize them, but the real underlying points of either side is rarely addressed by the opposition. It's easy to join one side when you only see the other's bad points. Those bad points are things no one supports and which everyone wants to band against.

That said, sjw's evil is worse, gg's evil is on a personal level (personal threats) while sjw evil impact the whole of media's and aim to impact society itself. In a bad way.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:59:19 am by DKDC
#37  March 06, 2015, 01:24:56 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
its in the very flawedhuman nature to try to portray your ideological opponents as  "mentally deranged human beings". You can see it all the time on democrat vs republican arguments, the other is always alien.
On a personal level its easy to see that happening due to imaturity or whatever, but when there is a movement around it then you fall into the cult mentality of "with us or against us" and you get people trying to blacklist others because they dont follow the right cults

I think that it was proven due to the gamejournos leaks that the scandal that was gamergate was a real thing that was happening ( ie, the media reporting on videogames were colluding to decide which narratives were more interesting to feed, which was the one where they tried to push people like anita and quinn to the spotlight while trying to show themselves as being pro socially "positive" changes that are about morality) , but I also think that the amount of people trying to make gamergate a movement hurt it more on the long run, since anyone with two thumbs can claim to be part of it and theres a lot of dumb people.

Its a really interesting thing to observe tho, I have compared it, and femfreq efforts, before to the comic book burnings that shifted the comics in america towards morally approved comic codes. I think the comparison still holds.

I dont think no one without a few screws loose would be against equality of genders, the presence of women in the industry ( which has always happened) and be against diversity. Yet the narrative is so thick that there was a whole SVU episode dedicated to gamers raping gamergirls in order to level up in the darknet for the glory of dankmemes
Its very telling when gamedevs prefer to claim they agree with the collusion of journalism because they are scared of ending up on the blacklist of "mysoginy" that the IGDA was telling developers to use in order to block out abuse online and get their potential career ruined. .
#38  March 07, 2015, 08:57:38 pm
    • USA
I'm not 100% sure of EVERYTHING about all this.

But I've lurked KnowYourMeme's image gallery for this subject.... And seen plenty of really nasty hateful things spewed from the anti side.

My biggest issue is, the mainstream media pretty much reports the views of only ONE SIDE, rather then allowing both sides to have their story told.

It's basically, "GamerGate is about misogyny, and driving women out of gaming". But they fail to report on the fact that there's the "NotYourShield" side of things. Which... are women, and minorities getting fed up with being a shield to deflect criticisms towards some individuals.

Oh and, let's not forget Tim Schafer's little unneeded jab at that hashtag with his Sockpuppet. Basically saying that those who are using the "NotYourShield" hashtag are just white men posing as these people.... Hm, seems a BIT hypocritical if you ask me. (Also, he failed basic math with that little skit. Seriously, look it up.)

Now, I won't lie. I think GamerGate's got a few issues too. But I feel the other side's are worse. You know there's a problem when they'll even go after someone not TOTALLY on board with GamerGate. I've seen them attack people completely neutral to the whole thing.

*Phew* That went on for a bit too long. Sorry if I got any details wrong. I just wanted to get some of this off my chest.
#39  March 07, 2015, 09:18:55 pm
#40  March 07, 2015, 11:46:40 pm
  • the strongest motherfucker on the planet
    • UK
    • meldo.neocities.org
GamerGate? More like LAMERGATE

And no I'm not taking sides in this internet babyfight