YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] DBFC/UNIB Sprite Thread (Read 105981 times)

Started by lui, April 05, 2015, 03:21:19 pm

lui

[Theme Thread] DBFC/UNIB Sprite Thread
#1  April 05, 2015, 03:21:19 pm
    • USA
Hey guys!
So I've been studying the style that French Bread uses for their DBFC and UNIB sprites and I finally got the hang of it.
It's actually MUCH easier for me to sprite in that style instead of CPS2,CVS,CPS3 etc. actually, due to the simple but effective lightsource and shading techniques.
So, that gave me an idea, since Ghost Killer and I have a bunch of WIP French Bread style sprites in progress, why not start a theme thread for that style? I really wanna see what you guys can come up with. It's basically modern Anime shading, but pixelated :)

I'll sumbit the first sprite:

Issei from High School DxD with a modified BOOSTEH GEAH! by me (season 3 just started btw w00t)

Just to give you some examples of how the shading and style works look at this:

As you can see here it can reveal a couple of things about the style:

1: The lightsource comes from above in most sprites and sometimes in front in some sprites.

2: Big eyes with that look fierce with Anime-Waifu standard pupils (very exaggerated) for young Shounen/Shoujo type characters like Kirito, Asuna, Taiga, etc. It's the most typical eye style that most characters have
 VERY big chibi style eyes for loli's like Kirino and Tomoka's,
 Really small, squinted and focused looking eyes for serious characters like Akira, Selvia, Kojou and Tatsuya.

3:There are just 4 levels of shading, BUT you only use the boldest shade on little details like buttons or creases

4:As said above you only use the Boldest shading in the little details, NOT outlining the character. As you can see, there are no bold outlines on the edges of the characters, making them kinda look flat.

5: As you can see from their heads, they all follow the same circle pattern lightsource throughout all of the characters, regardless of the hairstyle.

6:Colors are slighlty unsaturated, so use slighty pale colors that don't have much contrast when it comes to light colors like skin or pale blue.

7:The eyes and eyebrows ALWAYS go on the top layer of the face, on top of the hair and everything, no exceptions.

8:Remember to always look at typical anime artworks and media for good reference on the proportions that they use, because Frech Bread practically take the proportions of DBFC straight from their anime adaption looks.

That's all for now, I leave the rest up to you :)
Happy Spriting!

Tip: Kirito is a nice base for  young shounen archetype MC heroes, with Akira being a great base for Bulky type characters like Ryu, Goku, Etc.
Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:19:44 pm by luisdude1
Re: [Theme Thread] DBFC/UNIB Sprite Thread
#2  April 05, 2015, 04:09:46 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Wow, man. Your edit looks beautiful. Also thanks for giving us your observations, might try to do a DBFC Captain Commando.
Hopefully, this thread won't end up like the Guilty Gear sprite thread...
Also, great to see you back, ma man! :) :)
This is a generic forum signature.

lui

#3  April 05, 2015, 04:18:19 pm
    • USA
Wow, man. Your edit looks beautiful. Also thanks for giving us your observations, might try to do a DBFC Captain Commando.
Hopefully, this thread won't end up like the Guilty Gear sprite thread...
Also, great to see you back, ma man! :) :)

Aw deng you just guessed my next planned sprite LOL
Guess I'll move on to another one so you can do your magic! Can't wait to see it!

and thanks bro! I'm feeling a bit better each day, now I'm good enough to continue slaving spriting in High-Res :)
i'm taking a break from the MSH:R project for a little while longer too btw, since I lost all my MUGEN related files bc of a computer format (its a long story) and i'm gonna re-do all my lost progress after the break.
#4  April 05, 2015, 05:29:13 pm
  • Half-Dead Shinzaki
  • Meme Machine
    • USA
    • mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/24324-our-works-directory/
I'm not sure if I can post here but here's mine, an OC (edited from UNIB Eltnum):
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

And then here's another one of mine (edited from DBFC Yukina):
#5  April 05, 2015, 06:52:29 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
I tried to make some sprites of my OC:
1st try (note didnt aim full source acc):

Wearing the Slifer Red Uniform from YGO 5Ds.
Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:57:34 pm by Excham

lui

#6  April 05, 2015, 09:56:50 pm
    • USA
I'm not sure if I can post here but here's mine, an OC (edited from UNIB Eltnum):

And then here's another one of mine (edited from DBFC Yukina):

The Eltnum edits' shading looks spot on in most of the areas., but her torso in the first pic is MASSIVE compared to her hands and the rest of her body and her legs are slightly too far apart. Also, she has no neck so It looks really awkward, should be easy to fix though.

Oh and in the first pic her mid-tone on her White part of the Torso is WAY too thick, the thickest French Bread puts on their midtones is 2 pixels wide. Oh and the midtone looks awkward there, taking it out all together on that spot would render it looking better.

The Yukina Edit has alot of small issues that break the deal for me, most of it is due to the inconsistent shading on her Jacket area, especially in the arms and the mid-lower area of the white shirt. I'll edit it later and point out some stuff to help you get used to the style better :)
Other than that, nice edits!

Like Kaiser's first edit, your shading is spot on, but I have one major problem. The chin. Too. Round. LOL. Just make it a tad more pointy, look at Shana or Kirino for example if you want good loli references. Also, her left leg is outlined while the right one isn't even though they're sharing the same lightsource and shading placement. It's inconsistent.

If you want to outline the leg, you should just completely shade it dark with the midtone for it to appear is if that leg is behind the non-shaded one. Remember, you ONLY outline the edges if it is darkened, otherwise there should be no outline at all. I would nitpick for the socks being outlined, but it's not that noticeable so that could be an exception :) Other than that, WOW those first time edits look great!

Impressive work so far guys, this thread is starting off strong!
Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:55:26 pm by luisdude1

lui

#7  April 06, 2015, 09:55:47 am
    • USA

I slightly modified the gauntlets
(I need to fix his belt)
Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:52:15 pm by luisdude1
#8  April 06, 2015, 03:43:22 pm
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Oh my God. Go make a deviantART account, and post these, so I can add them to my "Beautiful Works of Art" collection. :)
#9  April 06, 2015, 03:49:15 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA

GX, not 5D's.  5D's was the one with signers.
#10  April 06, 2015, 05:46:03 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
#11  April 06, 2015, 06:12:38 pm
    • Indonesia
    • larsmasters.deviantart.com
I wish I could transition 3D model fighting game stance from XNA/XPS or/& remastered PS2 sprites into this style. The only problem on XNA/XPS render pic resizing while I was doing on my Sterk 2D fighting game style stance render is that getting blur after resize into French Bread/Ecole style size on PSD

lui

#12  April 07, 2015, 05:13:04 pm
    • USA
I just use the MS paint that comes with windows xP

Oh my God. Go make a deviantART account, and post these, so I can add them to my "Beautiful Works of Art" collection. :)

aw dude thanks! I've been meaning to make one, but I always see a bunch of other masterful pixel artworks (Ramzaneko and Balthazar-sama come to mind) that I feel VERY inferior so I'll hold off until I get this style absolutely perfected.
Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:17:03 pm by luisdude1
#13  April 16, 2015, 04:29:19 am
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com

Still in the works. While doing this, I decided to break some of the guidelines of the DBFC/UNIB spriting style. You'll probably see those rule breaks here and there.

Overall, what are your thoughts??

Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:07:31 pm by AlexSin
#14  April 16, 2015, 06:15:03 am
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
That's a really stretched face he has, but gladly, this kind of thing is simple to fix. Just take both his mouth and nose, and then move it up by a pixel.

Shit

lui

#15  April 22, 2015, 12:57:29 am
    • USA

Still in the works. While doing this, I decided to break some of the guidelines of the DBFC/UNIB spriting style. You'll probably see those rule breaks here and there.

Overall, what are your thoughts??

That looks really good for a start, nice work!
I agree with what Black Hatter said, it looks a bit stretched. Also, simplify that nose a bit more, it looks weird to me atleast.
It's alright to break a few rules as long as it looks nice and that it resembles the style atleast.
The shading is well done and the anti-aliasing looks fine so far.
The hair however looks like french fries to me lol it also lacks the spike in the back he has, kinda like Jin.
Nice work so far! I cant wait to fix my PC or buy a new one so I can show you guys what I've finished.
Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:07:50 pm by AlexSin
#16  April 22, 2015, 10:22:47 pm
Black Hatter posted it, but MotorRoach commented on it.
#17  April 23, 2015, 01:23:15 am
    • USA
This is old

lui

#18  April 23, 2015, 06:33:11 am
    • USA
HOLY SHIT THAT IS RAW.
The face looks a bit too round and stretched but holy shit that's awesome.
#19  April 23, 2015, 05:47:12 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Ironically to what the sprite style is meant to look like, her face looks less anime-like in your sprite.

Shit

lui

#20  April 24, 2015, 03:33:36 am
    • USA
i think he lifted the face's proportions straight from the source instead of converting it to Anime style.