YesNoOk

New Icons/Filter options (Read 11727 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, April 04, 2015, 01:45:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: New Icons/Filter options
#21  April 05, 2015, 09:32:37 pm
This should be the template (I think):
or they are just examples, either way, this should be the size of the board icons.
#22  April 05, 2015, 11:12:10 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yes that's the template. I don't remember if they need to be in a certain order or just putting the new ones on the bottom of this image. I guess for now just add them to the bottom.
#23  April 06, 2015, 05:33:03 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
There's not enough 1.1 content to warrant its own board and there is likewise more than enough WinMUGEN content to warrant its own board.

It'll probably make sense to have this discussion in a few years, but not right now.

also I don't think portraits need their own board.
#24  April 06, 2015, 05:41:08 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Portraits are getting icons. Along with 1.1 variants and more HD variant icons as well. Last chance, is that all the icons we need for releases?

Portrait icons will not need to be in the WinMugen board, correct? There are no differences in Winmugen and 1.0 Mugen portraits. 1.1 on the other hand is different.

All the new HD icons will be added to the WinMugen boards as applicable.
#25  April 06, 2015, 07:18:20 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
There's not enough 1.1 content to warrant its own board and there is likewise more than enough WinMUGEN content to warrant its own board.

It'll probably make sense to have this discussion in a few years, but not right now
Mugen 1.0 had a grand total of 33 releases by the time it got its own board.
#26  April 06, 2015, 07:49:06 am
    • USA
But 1.0 got everyone excited and had lots of people jumping on, and the differences in the engines of Win and 1.0 were much more vast (and thus drew more interest)!

Until there's a surge in 1.1 development, I just can't see much use in it having its own board. It'll happen eventually (provided a stable release comes out, maybe?), but things have remained fairly constant vis-à-vis the number of releases 1.1 has had. The 1.1 beta has been out for a long while, but the frequency of 1.1 releases is still quite small.
#27  April 06, 2015, 02:32:42 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Dude, nobody wanted 1.0 when the stable version came out. Don't you remember when every release thread was littered with posts asking for winmugen patches (even when they weren't necessary) ? I'm pretty sure even you had to do some of those!

Getting ahead of our userbase isn't a bad idea and it will us the time tracking down over a hundred threads later.

btw, mugen 1.0's subforums have placeholder icons.
Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:37:09 pm by Fubini
#28  April 06, 2015, 02:53:35 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
The 1.1 icons will help us track down the 1.1 exclusive threads later too!

When I look at the last post dates for the bottom thread on each specific board and sub board they are not extremely different. Win is trailing in them besides in Found Releases where it is much more recent.
This is with me NOT looking for 1.1 specific stuff. So that means the mix of 1.0 and 1.1 is barely beating the Win releases in 2 out of 3 boards.
#29  April 06, 2015, 07:14:35 pm
    • USA
Dude, nobody wanted 1.0 when the stable version came out. Don't you remember when every release thread was littered with posts asking for winmugen patches (even when they weren't necessary) ? I'm pretty sure even you had to do some of those!
There was a lot of suspicion and stuff in the regular userbase to be sure, but there was conversely also a lot of interest on the creative side! Right now a 1.1 board would be mostly empty, and I can't imagine it being brought into existence will spur anyone to develop anything for it. I do think/hope that once a stable release will be the thing that finally kicks 1.1 development into overdrive, though.

Getting ahead of our userbase isn't a bad idea and it will us the time tracking down over a hundred threads later.
Eh it wouldn't be a huge time saver; like JNP said, if we add the new filter icons now, and get people to do so on their own for any future works, we can easily move everything when the need for a 1.1 arises!
#30  April 06, 2015, 07:49:45 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
winmugen stuff is still being developed by other communities(japan) so if we say, merged found releases we couldnt reliably tell which ones were for which

also i cant pull out the exact numbers but 1.0 got more releases in the first year than 1.1
well the exact criteria is vague but id like to go with what the current trends are.
besides filtering 1.1 stuff is waaaay easier than having to sort out a merged board
Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:54:01 pm by c001357
#31  April 06, 2015, 07:52:59 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
We'd then need a 1.0 or Win icon I guess :P
#32  April 06, 2015, 09:31:46 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
In my opinion, dealing with 1.0 primarily, I dont really want 1.1 content with my 1.0.
Having winmugen in with my 1.0 wouldnt be that big of a deal to me. BUT for people with winmugen PCs (yes they're still out there) filtering 1.0 stuff out would suck very bad. I dont recommend putting winmugen with 1.0.
I get excited to see awesome content for 1.0+ only to find out it's 1.1 only. I'd like to see a 1.1 icon and a 1.0 icon. I dont think splitting the board in half would be a huge benefit. I think it'd make the content look more sparse.
When I go to a new forum and there's not a lot of content in the boards I'm looking at, I usually turn away and look for a better spot. This is why I landed here to begin with. Splitting the boards up may turn away people who'd otherwise join.

Right now, when I go looking for new characters/stages I visit the 1.0+ and I usually forget about winmugen releases.  It'd be nice if there was a way to have all 3 be searchable at once. Far as I know winmugen works in 1.1 right? So a 1.1 user would benefit the most.
If you could have a way to have the sub-boards, but make the combination of all 3 searchable... like make a way to select which of the 3 you want to search for. So when I say search for characters I'd get all 3 types popping up in 1 list. For me, it'd be nice if I could have a check box on the 3 types, so I could leave out 1.1.
It wouldnt even be that bad if the 1.1 popped up but had the 1.1 icon. It might make me want to switch over.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#33  May 01, 2015, 06:25:25 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/

Dang, it's already been a MONTH???

Anyway, here's the new icons I've made.
@Titiln: can you make one for Portraits? Or tell me the font you used and I will?
#34  May 01, 2015, 07:25:14 am
i'm not sure but i think it was ATROX