YesNoOk

Is Cartoon Network better off now than it was during the mid-2000's? (Read 17654 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, September 15, 2015, 05:19:03 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Is Cartoon Network better than it was then?

Yes
8 (19%)
No
20 (47.6%)
Maybe
9 (21.4%)
I like pie
5 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Is Cartoon Network better off now than it was during the mid-2000's?
#1  September 15, 2015, 05:19:03 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
Upon reading various opinions regarding CN and it's downfall, I was surprised by how many people hated CN during 2004-06. I can sorta get behind this... aside from Ed Edd n' Eddy (though it did suffer minor seasonal rot), Billy and Mandy, Teen Titans, and Kids Next Door... all of which came out during the Powerhouse era, the other shows were fairly forgettable. Foster's Home was decent but also often mean-spirited and Bloo can be a total douchebag post-season 1, Ben 10 was.... well Ben 10, and Juniper Lee was a Jakelong ripoff. Sure, there was Toonami but it was moved to Saturday nights (a horrible timeslot) in order to appease bitchy Soccer Moms and was replaced with Miguzi (a poor replacement) plus Naruto eventually overshadowed the other shows on the block which became a bad thing when they started airing Filler Hell.

While CN now definitely pales in comparison to the Powerhouse era (The Golden age of CN), it's definitely better than it was during it's Dark ages (2007-2009). Sure Johnny Test was godawful, MAD was mediocre (and didn't live up the magazines), Problem SOLVERZ was a trainwreck, and TTG needs to go away but you have shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe that really push the boundaries for what's acceptable for children's programming and can be enjoyed by adults. Gumball got off with a slow start but improved significantly by the second season, Clareance is strangely charming (the art style still bugs me though), and Uncle Grandpa is very... decisive. Toonami even returned for oldschool fans to enjoy at Saturday midnight and it even returned it's most popular show as the revived DBZ Kai.

What do you say? Is CN better nowadays or was it better during the mid-2000's?
Re: Is Cartoon Network better off now than it was during the mid-2000's?
#2  September 15, 2015, 07:21:26 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe are every bit as good as Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo and the other golden age shows. Maybe even better, because nostalgic bias.
#3  September 15, 2015, 07:25:00 pm
  • The Man Without The Plan
    • USA
Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe are every bit as good as Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo and the other golden age shows. Maybe even better, because nostalgic bias.

My thoughts exactly.
#4  September 15, 2015, 07:57:20 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1

I would argue that nothing Is better then Johnny Bravo but really love that show, also Enjoyed Duck Dodgers and Samurai Jack.

But Gumball is super great, and while I don't really enjoy Adventure Time and Regular Show, they are not bad either.
Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:01:30 pm by -Whiplash-
#5  September 15, 2015, 08:12:50 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
teen titans go - ass
clarence - ass
regular show - rarely airs
adventure time - doesn't fucking air at all anymore
steven universe - its ok sometimes
gumball - getting kinda boring
uncle grandpa - not sure what to say
sonic boom - fucking awesome
transformers - eh
pokemon - its pokemon.

CN was better before they had stupid ass teen titans go, "UR NEW FAVURIT SHUW" Seriously.... what the fuck
I am really missing the old days when CN had tons of fucking shows, i think they even had more anime also, now its just POKEMON
this website is stupid
#6  September 15, 2015, 08:37:38 pm
    • USA
Personally there are great show I like on CN now (Adventure Time ,Steven Universe, Regular Show and sometimes Gumball), some shows I don't care (don't like, don't hate)  but other people like them ( Clarence, Uncle Grandpa, and sometimes Gumball), and shows I hate (Teen Titans Go!)
But I wouldn't say it's just pokemon (It's only once on early mornings).
Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:46:38 pm by Thojoewhit
#7  September 15, 2015, 09:19:59 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
OP

Nah, not really...

Nothing on now even compares to Billy and Mandy, the early Teen Titans, Foster's Home, the Eds, Dexter's Lab, the first Ben 10, KND, Samurai Jack... Personally, I liked Flapjack and Johnny Test, at least the first few seasons. There was even Robot Boy, Squirrel Boy, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, and Chop Socky Chooks. (A weird as heck 3D show that reminds me of Jet Set Radio.) I miss Ultimate Muscle and BoBo when it came on the anime slot, too. They never brought those back.

Cartoon Network was FAR better back then.
#8  September 15, 2015, 09:35:08 pm
  • Raging Fist
Couldn't agree with you more.
I missed the early CN and I wish for the day that the shows would come back (course there is online).
I remember coming home from school and after hw is done the first thing I tune to is toonami with all the dub anime goodness (even when toonami switched to weekends I watched). There was also Dexter's lab, courage, cow and chicken, etc. Back then it was AWESOME! and I miss it terribly.
Hell Adult swim was pretty decent back then too, ESP WHEN ACTION SATURDAYS CAME! Oh man The Shows Ive seen! Inuyasha, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, FMA, The gundam OVAs, FLCL, CHINCHAN, I can go on with this!
#9  September 15, 2015, 09:51:12 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
The only thing I miss about the old Cartoon Network was when they had The Tex Avery Show, where they played his uncensored short cartoons with little intros before each one. Aside from really loving Tex in general, the intros were often informative that told you what made the coming short so significant (ie: "In this short, Tex decided to end the Screwy Squirrel cartoons by taking the extreme measure of killing off his title character!"). It was the spark that made me get interested in studying cinema history.

Otherwise, I was a teen at the time so most of the mid-2000's line-up was really boring for me. Nowadays, while the quality of the shows is kinda hit or miss, the hits are incredible (although you can put me in the "what's the big deal with Steven Universe?" camp).
#10  September 15, 2015, 10:05:39 pm
  • ^First attempt ain't so bad......
    • buckus.mugen-infantry.net/

My thoughts. I may be the minority, but I enjoy Teen Titans Go.
#11  September 15, 2015, 10:49:42 pm
    • USA
    • arture0105@yahoo.com
Definitely oldschool CN, Samurai Jack never made it back to the past....that on its own makes it better.
#12  September 15, 2015, 11:04:39 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I mean most of GO have some moments but it's a cartoon for teens. What we really need is some good storyboard writers that can write good material.
#13  September 16, 2015, 06:11:43 am
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
Also toonami managed to screw up with DBZ, it was better when CN aired it, because of...........

this website is stupid
#14  September 16, 2015, 06:11:56 am
  • Five Dynasties of Water
    • Mexico
    • Skype - alchemistofatlas
Cartoon Network, at least in LatAm has improved in comparison to 2009- early 2014.

But I'd say 2002-2004 was when CN was on the top of the hill for me (this is from the LatAm branch).
PotS said:
That they don't just restrict themselves to my style.

Fact.
#15  September 16, 2015, 06:48:25 am
  • You PC bro?
Like WWE, I prefer the old instead of the new, although, I fucks with adventure time, regular show, and Teen Titans Go, which is more childish compared to the more serious show back then, but it has its funny moments. Shows like Clarence and Gumball (oh god) I feel embarrassed to watch lmao. I'm pretty neutral to Steven Universe, and uncle grandpa seems like something to watch when your hella high lmfao. But I definitely prefer the old cartoons like Samurai Jack, Fosters Home, My Gym partners a monkey, and most definitely Ed, Edd and Eddy and Billy and Mandy, which kinda had some mature vibes to them. Also really loved Batman Beyond when it had it's short run back in like 2000. But this is the PG era of things, so I gotta adapt to these times, even though I'm 17, I feel like an old man. Adult Swim is fucking amazing though, Rick and Morty, Superjail, Family guy, even mr. pickles are really good shows imo. Really miss King of The Hill though.
#16  September 16, 2015, 06:58:33 am
  • Vwee?
    • USA
    I'm a bit mixed on this one myself...  I absolutely loved watching CN when I was growing up.. tons of different shows were always on..  Then they added those crappy non-cartoon game shows and dramas..  It kind of dipped pretty hard after that.. But.. aside from TTG and UG I actually like their line up right now, even if it IS a bit limited..  I think they can bounce back just fine.. as long as they're careful.
Delving within the depths of a castle full of evil.. or at least lost or even trapped within one.. That's where you'll find me.

lui

#17  September 16, 2015, 09:13:37 am
    • USA
I don't care about the whole "oh my god it was better back in its heyday!" i just care about the shows that show and whether they are good or not, both era's had really crappy shows and really good ones, its like this with other channels. considering its demographic is towards early-to-mid teen boys, its gonna be a guarantee that theyre gonna have a couple of shitty shows and a couple of great ones. im not gonna let my nostalgia dictate whether or not the shows back then or now are good, im looking at them all fairly and using factors like limited animation for the time, technology, etc.

to those who hate and keep on slamming shows like "teen titans go!" with the reason being "its not good as teen titans!" shut up. its not supposed to be a direct sequel, its for kids. i enjoy for what it is: a spastastic, in-your-face show that relies on running gags and stuff like that. the original voice cast and the easter eggs are for the older audience to watch with the kids in their family. every single channel has always had shitty shows, no matter the era. even the 90's, take off the nostalgia goggles and actually look.
#18  September 16, 2015, 10:04:59 am
  • For honor!
Cartoon Network sucks now because it's showing the cartoons that you little whippersnappers these days like not the ones back in my glory days. Also turn down that blasted dubstep.
Iroha stripped for me
#19  September 16, 2015, 10:42:37 am
    • USA
I don't care about the whole "oh my god it was better back in its heyday!" i just care about the shows that show and whether they are good or not, both era's had really crappy shows and really good ones, its like this with other channels. considering its demographic is towards early-to-mid teen boys, its gonna be a guarantee that theyre gonna have a couple of shitty shows and a couple of great ones. im not gonna let my nostalgia dictate whether or not the shows back then or now are good, im looking at them all fairly and using factors like limited animation for the time, technology, etc.

to those who hate and keep on slamming shows like "teen titans go!" with the reason being "its not good as teen titans!" shut up. its not supposed to be a direct sequel, its for kids. i enjoy for what it is: a spastastic, in-your-face show that relies on running gags and stuff like that. the original voice cast and the easter eggs are for the older audience to watch with the kids in their family. every single channel has always had shitty shows, no matter the era. even the 90's, take off the nostalgia goggles and actually look.

This.

Also people have differences in taste, I may not like Teen Titans Go! but if you do that's OK, I'm not gonna call people idiots for liking a show I don't. That's being a dick, and I'm not a dick (for most of the time.)
It's a opinion, like assholes we all have one.

lui

#20  September 16, 2015, 10:50:13 am
    • USA
im not saying that people who hate teen titans go! should shut up, im saying that the REASON certain people use to argue whether its bad or not sucks ass.

"oh my god its not as good as the original!" ugh, come up with actual criticism about its content and better reasoning on why you think its terrible, not just sound like a bandwagoner and go "oh no its terrible because they ruined the teen titans show!"

now what i think makes CN shitty now is the damn Networking Management cancelling great shows like Young Justice(!!!!) and Beware the Batman since they thought the ratings weren't as high as they wanted them to be, the system for why shows get greenlit and air are so different nowadays but THATS another discussion entirely
Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:57:47 am by walruslui