YesNoOk

Rivals of Aether (Read 60836 times)

Started by Jango, September 25, 2015, 12:04:33 pm
Share this topic:
Rivals of Aether
#1  September 25, 2015, 12:04:33 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA

Rivals of Aether is a new Indie Fighting Game that is based heavily on Super Smash Bros play mechanics. What makes it different from other Smash Bros clones? It's an entirely original IP! Anyway, have a trailer.

If you're familiar with Melee, you'll be happy to know that it plays a lot like that (wavedashing, how the air dodges work, etc), but it does its own thing too, especially in the character movesets. Most characters have a means to manipulate the battlefield itself, which greatly changes how the game is played. The stages (beautifully sprited btw) have interaction, but they tend to be less obtrusive than the ones in Smash. Additionally, every stage comes in both Aether (default with hazards) and Basic versions (think like Omega stages in Sm4sh except you're not limited to a single flat platform). Now let's meet the fighters!

FIGHTERS
Spoiler: hopy shit this section is HUUUUUUGE (click to see content)

STAGES
Spoiler: also huge (click to see content)
Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:06:50 am by J.A.N.G.O.
Re: Rivals of Aether
#2  September 25, 2015, 12:19:39 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Wow now that does look very nice, pretty, exciting! Probably gonna grab that Early Access!
#3  September 25, 2015, 12:27:26 pm
  • Vwee?
    • USA
That.. um.. that looks really cool..  I.. generally do not play games on PC..  but..  I think if I'm going to start.. this..   This game might be that start..  >_>
Delving within the depths of a castle full of evil.. or at least lost or even trapped within one.. That's where you'll find me.
#4  September 25, 2015, 12:33:13 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
I just noticed (even in the trailer) that the music is made by flashygoodness (of Tower of Heaven fame). Yay.

Anyway, game looks interesting for a 2D version of Smash. Might try it out if I get the chance. But as it stands, does it have lobby or random battles?
#5  September 25, 2015, 12:54:53 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
You can either do random battles OR you can invite someone on your Steam Friends List to fight you
#6  September 25, 2015, 12:58:37 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Isn't this game being made by the guy who made Super Smash Land?
Anyways, I've been checking out news for the game every so often; it looks pretty awesome.
#7  September 25, 2015, 01:21:29 pm
Cool more fighting animals, Lord M's not gonna like this.

Those backdrops... :swoon:
They look gorgeous. That alone would make a great selling point.
#8  September 25, 2015, 01:55:09 pm
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
Been following this one for a while. Cool to see it getting some attention, might have to grab it off Early Access sometime soon.
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#9  September 25, 2015, 03:10:12 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
pretty cool
got that small digimon feeling
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#10  September 26, 2015, 06:38:08 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Was playing online for the last hour or so. Holy crap, the netcode is really good. Seriously, in the time I was playing, I could count maybe two instances where the game slowed down for a split second, but other than that, it's almost like playing offline. There are some times at character select when the opponent won't ready himself and I have to disconnect to look for someone else, but I'd like to think it's on their end.

So I noticed a lot of people use Zetterburn online, with a few people using Kragg, and one person using Forsburn who instantly suicided upon seeing me. While there are some noobs, a lot of the playerbase is REALLY GOOD.

Only thing is I wish they had some system in place for handling ragequitters, although I guess I'm spoiled on SSB4's "replace opponent with Lv. 1 AI." I've only had one person ragequit on me so far, but yeah.
BEAR of Aether
#11  October 06, 2015, 04:31:28 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
So apparently this happened around the time I started this thread but I didn't find out until now.

Somebody ripped all the graphical assets to the game, which includes stuff like stages, character sprites, some anims for the confirmed secret character Absa, and a single sprite for a new character:

It is confirmed that this character is an upcoming fighter. According to game files, his name is Etalus and he's a bear that controls ice. Previously, Dan Fornace did confirm that a character named "Etalus" was in this game and that he was going to be a "heavy" character, but it's nice to see what he looks like.

Updating the first post
#12  October 06, 2015, 06:06:50 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Holy hell those back drops are sweet. The way the characters are sprited brings me back to Digimon Battle Spirit, and I like that. Hope to see more stuff regarding this game soon.
This is a generic forum signature.
#13  October 06, 2015, 07:04:45 am
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
Also, someone hacked into the game and found a custom colour editor in the game
http://imgur.com/a/rSmcm

though i am insanely hyped for etalus
#14  October 22, 2015, 04:55:18 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I'm so terrible at keeping on top of this game's updates because it updated Yesterday:

The changelog in its entirety is here, but more importantly every now has Halloween palettes, and Orcane's in particular makes him partially invincible, so now I have another reason to main him.
#15  October 22, 2015, 01:12:40 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
#16  November 19, 2015, 01:17:15 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Game updated to Version 0.0.8. What changed?!

First of all, shit just got real

Absa is now playable in Early Access! Her gameplay is focused around setting up cloud traps and getting around quickly with her electricity. She seems to have influences from Pikachu, Ness, and... Mewtwo? I dunno.

Also, Developer mode was added in for Early Access players to mess around with game mechanics. I guess this means it'll be easier to make balance patches and hacks for this game! And of course, balance changes up the wazoo. Lotta nerfs to Kragg and Zetterburn, but THANK GOD they buffed Orcane.

Of course, there's some bad news. The developers added Christmas palettes for the characters.

The sucky part is that they replace the Halloween palettes. RIP Ghost Orcane.

Anyway full changelog here
Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:24:31 pm by Jango Brown
#17  November 19, 2015, 02:03:29 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
never heard of this. i gotta try this out....loving that ninja fire lion guy
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#18  November 19, 2015, 02:40:47 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Also, Developer mode was added in for Early Access players to mess around with game mechanics. I guess this means it'll be easier to make balance patches and hacks for this game!
Rivals of Aether Project M edition.

Oh hang on, it already plays like Melee, doesn't it? Never mind then.
#19  November 19, 2015, 03:11:23 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#20  November 19, 2015, 05:58:01 pm
    • Brazil
Oh... Furries. Well, if its based on Smash, its probably good.