YesNoOk

Mortal Kombat NEW 2D Shinnok & Others (Read 813863 times)

Started by CoopNPB, September 26, 2015, 06:40:15 am
Share this topic:
Re: Mortal Kombat NEW 2D Shinnok
#101  October 11, 2015, 05:51:04 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
Did Shinnok have a scepter before? I can't really remember, hahah.

Shit
#102  October 11, 2015, 07:02:15 pm
  • Cowboys just didn't get Motown
    • USA
Forgot 1 more basic sprites

I don't really know either, but I thought the move was pretty cool so I decided to use it in 2D :)
#103  October 12, 2015, 01:06:43 am
    • USA
Example Special move
#104  October 12, 2015, 01:18:07 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#105  October 12, 2015, 02:24:25 am
  • Nothing lasts forever Jack
    • Argentina
    • simonrojasnoel@hotmail.com
MK 4 guys, the first time using weapons
#106  October 12, 2015, 05:06:47 am
  • Shit
He didn't use a scepter in MK4.

This doesn't looks like a scepter to me.

Back on topic, I really have to say that I'm glad to see that special move to be in your Shinnok. Although I also have to say that the whole move doesn't feels very... natural, and also feels very stiff. It feels more like you just took some poses and put them together for an animation, given that there are so many recycled sprites in here. That makes this a problem because the animation itself lacks a flow, especially when this move in MKX had a really decent arm movement. If anything, you should take a look at how it animated in MKX and try to base it from there, because Scorpion's poses will not work so well for this kind of movement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gfzQFdUxkU

Also, the effect going on in here is nice looking at first, but the way it disappears just does not works, given that it goes completely stiff and just simple gets erased from the inside out. It's very unnatural, and would probably look better off if parts of the explosion effect were spreading out more as they disappeared. Something a bit more like this:

(Don't use this animation, though. It's very rough and was meant to only demonstrate what I mean)

By the way, out of curiosity, did you make these effects yourself? They look pretty neat.

Shit
#107  October 12, 2015, 05:39:27 am
    • USA
No I found those sprites from some sprite website. I'll have someone fix the effects.
Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:54:41 am by CoopNPB
#108  October 12, 2015, 05:46:03 pm
    • USA
#109  October 12, 2015, 11:27:43 pm
    • USA
Remade Hell Blast
#110  October 13, 2015, 12:01:20 am
  • Shit
That Hell Blast looks a hell lot better. The aerial face laser attack, on the other hand, does seems pretty stiff, but that is mostly due to the awkward loop he does while preparing/shooting the projectile-- looking at it, I think I see only like three frames for the movement, and in a slow speed too. What I do recommend is that you give it more frames while he's hovering, to give his belt cloth a smoother movement-- something like at least six frames and in a higher speed would probably be enough to fix it.

Remember, you don't have to worry that much about frame count in here, so go nuts!

Shit
#111  October 13, 2015, 01:04:03 am
    • USA
Thanks man. I also updated the victory pose (you can see it in previous post above). I'm going to add one more special then move onto combos.

hint: Might even do some of shinnok's imposter moves after he's complete (already have his scorpion spear)
#112  October 13, 2015, 02:31:18 am
  • Shit
I wouldn't know giving Shinnok some of those copycat moves. I feel like Shinnok copied characters in MK4 only to compensate the lack of Shang Tsung in the game, hahah. Either way, just saying what I think, but it still sounds cool.

Also, the victory pose update has a nice transition to it, but the only thing I wanted to recommend is to maybe make an alternate victory pose. Not that the one you got in here isn't great, but it kind of breaks the pattern of how classic MK characters nearly always strike a pose while facing the screen for a victory pose. When it isn't the case, the characters still do try to pose rather dramatically (such as MK3 Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, and Motaro), so you might want to try going for a less simple looking pose for Shinnok to do.

Shit
#113  October 13, 2015, 05:27:07 am
    • USA
Note: maybe someone can edit the bones appearing from thin air turning into the scythe (like from MKX) and someone can add affect to his slide (kinda like Cage's shadow kick. I don't think I can make it look good at all.

#114  October 13, 2015, 05:48:18 am
  • Shit
Either way, the animation on it's own is already pretty smooth. Really digging it.

Shit
#115  October 13, 2015, 06:17:01 am
    • USA
Onto combos. Which combos should he have? Shang tsung mixed with? Ideas Ideas please
#116  October 13, 2015, 06:55:05 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Onto combos. Which combos should he have? Shang tsung mixed with? Ideas Ideas please

You know, I'm not sure what combos to use here.. are you trying to create him in MK3 style or Mk4 style, because MK4's combo system was much more simpler then MK3.

BTW, I want to give you big props. This is a big project and to have most, if not all of the sprite work done, in such a short amount of time is amazing. If there is anything I can help with, don't be afraid to ask.
#117  October 13, 2015, 07:30:51 pm
  • (o.O)!
  • MadkaT Was Here
    • Guernsey
    • a@b.xxx
    • Skype - admin
    • network.mugenguild.com/madkat
Nice work, I hope you could teach us later ;) about the combos, I think the best combo system on MK is the MK3, you could create your sequences based on chain MK4 combos to fit the MK3 style.
<- Foros Mugen en español. And also English forums.
#118  October 13, 2015, 09:40:52 pm
    • USA
Thank you everyone. the Combo system is going to be base off of MK3. I think I have some ideas what combos to use
#119  October 13, 2015, 09:48:20 pm
  • “You know you can’t, I am immune to the light.”:
    • USA
Why Don't You use MKX Shinnok Combos to help you ideas.
---Even More Perfect!!!
#120  October 13, 2015, 10:11:53 pm
  • Shit
I'd heavily suggest trying to make his combos unique from other characters. You don't really see the characters in MK3 sharing a lot of their combo unique sprites (except for the ninjas), so you might want to try to keep his combos looking distinct-- that being said, I also don't agree on giving him the MK4 combos, giving that a lot of characters in the game shared alike combo movements.

If anything, you could always look up online for attacks that involve strikes that you can picture Shinnok doing. I personally can imagine him attacking with his elbow, or with his palm.

<- I feel this would make a great move for throwing the opponent upwards in the end of a combo. Try to not make it too alike to this animation, though, given that this is just to give an idea.

I can also easily imagine him attacking with a headbutt move during a combo, due to how rather big his hat is. Then again, I forgot what combos he had in MKX, so you could go for those too.

Shit