YesNoOk

Thanos (Read 62629 times)

Started by The_None, January 08, 2016, 10:55:16 pm
Share this topic:
Thanos
#1  January 08, 2016, 10:55:16 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends/
On one hand, I have failed to deliver a certain original sprited remake of an earlier character I hoped to do so for a looong time (and maaan 2015 was a very slow year when it comes to stuff I've put out). On the other hand.....

Here's a Marvel supervillain to make up for my slow previous year. He's been based on his Marvel vs. Capcom 2 appearance with the few attacks from Marvel Super Heroes attacks brought back, making him one hell of a galactic madman who earned his place as a MSH boss. As a change of pace from the custom creations I am known for, this time I've aimed to make him as source-acurate as I could have mustered, which took me longer than I've expected. This means carrying over a number of dirty tricks he had in his appearances (including at least one thing some may not have expected me to bring over to this conversion, maybe few have tho', knowing me). I may have missed a few possible things by a few miles, but the few folks I let them test before release have said he feels pretty close to the source, so..... yeah I'd say that's quite a relatively special infinity gem I've carved here. (Considering how many of my habits/subsystems/tricks that I was employing in my custom characters I had to eschew while dveloping this conversion, I do mean it.)
Spoiler: More Screenshots (click to see content)
Get bubble trap loop'd on at Logical Bends
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
If you still use winmugen and downloaded this character before 09.01.2016, I've updated this character so his crouching MK would no longer crash winmugen (while it worked fine in future mugen versions). Why do I keep botching things. I'd guess I'm glad most people these days stick with 1.0+ mugen versions
Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:40:24 am by The_None
Re: Thanos
#2  January 08, 2016, 11:05:17 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
nice always wanted a good thanos
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#3  January 08, 2016, 11:18:27 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
Nice to see another char from you. Tried him and love it finally a good Thanos.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#4  January 08, 2016, 11:27:08 pm
I impressed your Thanos!!
I like your characters.Thanks for sharing!!
#5  January 09, 2016, 12:12:53 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Nice to see another char from you. Tried him and love it finally a good Thanos.

;_;

Anyway yeah this feels pretty accurate but why does it feel so fast? Something about it is weird like he's running off turbo 2 timings or something.

Nice work on the time gem BTW.
#6  January 09, 2016, 12:15:57 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
uh did you make one? I wasn't aware?

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#7  January 09, 2016, 12:19:30 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
uh did you make one? I wasn't aware?

Yeah I did but you know it wasn't as good as it could've been since it was mostly guesswork outside of animations and hitboxes, and it was my first character.

This one's better (if a bit fast IMO) and it has the extra stuff from MSH.
#8  January 09, 2016, 12:50:01 am
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
It's a solid ass character from a solid ass creator...

but.....

Get bubble trap loop'd on at

You weren't kidding with the Bubble trap loops...

(I could continue this combo, but I didn't want to kill him before i grabbed the snapshot)
(Combo: LP > MP > HP > Bubble)

But still, I really like him. I'll test more of him later (as a Thanos main in MvC2).

Edit: Also, his damage is high as FUCK, but that could be excused since it's kinda source (plus I can fix that no prob).

And Cr. MK cannot chain to Cr. HK cause Cr. MK sweeps. 
Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:58:05 am by TheFclass97
#9  January 09, 2016, 02:09:02 am
    • USA
    • leekrs1@gmail.com
Best Thanos for mugen by far.
One thing i did find so far, quite a bit of debug floods (mostly truncated to integer type)
Most noticable when doing his hypers. During some combo's as well.
#10  January 09, 2016, 03:05:46 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Dunno who´s fault it is, but (tested in MUGEN 1.0)...

Frank West helicopter and Thanos spotlight intro together creates another Thanos hovering above Frank till the spotlight intro is over.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#11  January 09, 2016, 11:05:57 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends/
....why does it feel so fast? Something about it is weird like he's running off turbo 2 timings or something.
Yes, I based him off the Turbo2 timings as Jesuszilla (whose MVC2 CheatEngine table made accuracy possible) told me that setting is a standard, as far as I know.
Bubble trap stuff
The 'best' part is that bubble trap loops were very much part of his arsenal in MVC2 and MSH, so I carried that over. Keep in mind that we're talking about a guy who - without his projectile S.HK/Cr.HP/Cr.HK basic moves from MSH that he lost in MVC2 - was considered one of the lower-tier characters in the game.
And Cr. MK cannot chain to Cr. HK cause Cr. MK sweeps.
That's also accurate to the source. In MVC2 characters that are swept (who are not Dhalsim) are invincible while falling down before hitting the ground.
One thing i did find so far, quite a bit of debug floods (mostly truncated to integer type)
Most noticable when doing his hypers. During some combo's as well.
The strange thing was that when I tested in Mugen 1.1 the same things never much sprout of a bit of debug floods but they do in previous Mugen versions. For the sake of the previous versions I have rectified that and updated the archive tho'.
Frank West bug stuff
That bug - which happens only in Mugen 1.0 by the way, never had it happen in 1.1 - happens regardless of whatever intro Frank or Thanos is doing. And considering that these exact sprites that pop up in the bug are not used in any of Thanos's own animations yet (I just haven't implemented the pre-"FIGHT!" walking yet, maybe I'll do by whenever I end up updating him tho'), this definately sounds like a bug on Frank's end.

There's also something that folks haven't noticed before but I did and recently fixed and this is especially important if you're one of the few people out there that still use WinMugen. The crouching sweep - which works perfectly fine in Mugen 1.0 and 1.1 - was crashing Winmugen on hit with an assert failure in array.h error. This was caused by my attempt to have the custom trip state start at a second possible frame (MSH characters like this Thanos have a blur form in the first frame of ground gethits) and have it frozen on that particular frame of animation during the hitpauses. This has been fixed for Winmugen versions (and updated the archive, if you've downloaded this character before this post and still use winmugen, you may want to redownload him again) by changing the elem = animelemtime(0) in the changeanim into elem = animelemno(0). Yeah, I know, I also went "what the hell" at that. Maybe perhaps this would be the last time I'll develop content for Winmugen, it's not like many mugen users still use that particular mugen version anyway.

Why oh why do I keep leaving disastrous oversights (that are unrelated to whatever was present in MVC2 anyway) whenever I initially release anything.....
Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:16:32 am by The_None
#12  January 09, 2016, 12:08:55 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
....why does it feel so fast? Something about it is weird like he's running off turbo 2 timings or something.
Yes, I based him off the Turbo2 timings as Jesuszilla (whose MVC2 CheatEngine table made accuracy possible) told me that setting is a standard, as far as I know.

Strange that he said that because I'm pretty sure the standard is turbo 1. but whatever.
#13  January 09, 2016, 01:30:09 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Only thing I noticed so far about this Thanos is that if you do another super immediately after Soul Gem (Ex: Soul Gem -> Mind Gem, Soul Gem -> Space Gem, etc.), the super bg doesn't appear for the rest of the super:
#14  January 09, 2016, 05:23:08 pm
  • Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken
    • youtube.com/c/ViolinKen

Strange that he said that because I'm pretty sure the standard is turbo 1. but whatever.

Agreed.  He seems too fast to me. Could be that by default, i have mugen set to turbo 2 speed instead of normal, which in effect, makes him feel like he's turbo 4 instead.

Nice release.  Always wanted a Thanos with mvc2 +msh moves.

Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken

#15  January 09, 2016, 07:07:57 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/

Tournament standard is turbo 2. Ask Kamekaze =P
#16  January 09, 2016, 07:16:42 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Wait, we now have an accurate way to convert turbo speeds?! Is it a piece of code in conjunction with timing info from CE or something else?

IE how accurate is the turbo? Do certain ticks get dropped to make the speed go faster like source?

I definitely need to take a look at this Thanos!
#17  January 09, 2016, 07:49:28 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
Shit, guess I gotta dust off my old copy of mvc2 then... Thanks for the reply.
#18  January 09, 2016, 07:51:29 pm
Also, Turbo in MvC2 and T-2 in MSHvSF have the same pacing and frameskip rate.

I'm interested in knowing how it functions too, I just lazily manipulated the animation timings in the .air with certain edits I did.
#19  January 09, 2016, 07:54:34 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Also, Turbo in MvC2 and T-2 in MSHvSF have the same pacing and frameskip rate.

I'm interested in knowing how it functions too, I just lazily manipulated the animation timings in the .air with certain edits I did.

Yeah, normal in mvc2 is turbo in mvc1 so turbo 2 is actually like turbo 3.

IDK, it makes a slow character like thanos feel way to fast compared to the other characters in MUGEN.

Tournament standard is turbo 2. Ask Kamekaze =P

Yeah looking at videos now I can see that.  I could never play at that speed I always choose the slowest one. @_@

#20  January 09, 2016, 09:32:46 pm
  • the strongest motherfucker on the planet
    • UK
    • meldo.neocities.org

I dunno, he seems pretty fast that his air combos are loose. Or was it like that in MVC2?