YesNoOk

New Fighting Game! Mugen Evolved... (Read 6249 times)

Started by Stalegum, November 24, 2015, 12:41:00 pm
New Fighting Game! Mugen Evolved...
#1  November 24, 2015, 12:41:00 pm
  • I don't care if you're Bison or Sheep!
    • UK
Hi,

So! We're in the process of making a new fighting game. At the moment there's not too much to it, but there are some core principles that we're aiming for:

- As fun to watch as the average Salty Bet match
- Easy to customise characters
- PvP
- Constant progression

First big update:

We've been working since this post to make some good stuff, and have created and binned a few prototypes. I thought it would be good to show you guys our early concepts, particularly these two images, and find out what you think about the style.

Current concept (not yet complete):

Game scene as it looks now (our first prototype):

Move icons for customisation:

Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:52:57 pm by Stalegum
Re: New Fighting Game! Mugen Evolved...
#2  November 24, 2015, 01:01:04 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I'm going to assume you're using Mugen for this, so it's already in the wrong section. Second, I wouldn't make fun to watch a priority, youncan do that naturally by having a game that is fun to play which should be your priority.  And finally, you have nothing here. You say you're making a fighting game and then proceed to not show any details at all.
#3  November 24, 2015, 02:18:44 pm
    • UK
Hi Darkflare, thanks for the reply. So the thing is we won't be using Mugen, because it doesn't have enough flexibility when it comes to putting the game on lots of platforms. It would be great to have it on pc, mac, standalone, browser etc. and so for that we'd need to make something ourselves. A big influence on us is saltybet, which is fun mostly because it's awesome to watch.

The reason we've got nothing posted here so far is because we're just starting out - this will be updated as we go with images and progress, just wanted to put a starting point so that we can update. I'll be posting some concept art later this week / early next to give an idea of what it might look like and play like.
#4  November 24, 2015, 02:45:40 pm
do you have any knowledge about fighting games? tell us about the fighting games that you've played and your favorite ones.
you've began the implementation stage right? then you must have every gameplay design planned out and ready. please do give us an insight on it.
because you know what this looks to me? this looks like you have a shell but you don't know what to fill it's core with.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5  November 24, 2015, 02:55:44 pm
    • UK
Hi Gennos, sure thing. My favourite games

- Street fighter II, SNES. Came with the console, I have 3 brothers so we played it constantly. First fighting game I really put a lot of time into, still awesome.
- Killer Instinct, SNES. First time i'd ever seen a super arcade style combat system, and blasting out huge combos with cinder remains one of my favourite fighting moments.
- Tekken 3, PS. Got really good with xiaoyu, 3d arena and sidestepping combat was a bit of a mindblower at the time, trying to get Kings enormous throw against your friends
- All smash bros. Super easily digestible, frenetic, amazing multiplayer. Items and obstacles turned a platformer sumo game into... an incredible, frustrating emergent fighter.

Gameplay design:

- You manage / own a character
- Their moveset is determined by you, mugen style
- Moves come prepackaged but can also be broken down, tied together in different ways
- You fight other players
- Learning moves requires training, this is persistent and constant

We have a super huge game design doc, but those are the core parts. I'd like to leave it flexible so that good ideas have room to fit in.
#6  November 24, 2015, 04:25:31 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
I think the most important question is whether you have programming knowledge to pull this off or not.

Shit
#7  November 24, 2015, 05:08:38 pm
    • UK
There are a few of us - not many, but enough to get started. We've made lots of games before, and have started really early development this week.

We're using Unity and have a super alpha combat engine currently being made - it's important to make sure that we emphasise the right aspects of the combat though, which is where we could really use feedback and help.
#8  November 24, 2015, 08:38:06 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
You have an idea but haven't even started it? Not a good point to be showing off if you ask me.

Do you have any idea what the actual gameplay mechanics will be?
How are you going to make sure that the moves you can learn and use are balanced?
How are you going to make sure that one set of moves will not be the most dominant?

Sure, we set the miveset of a character in Mugen, but most of the time it's because we're using an already established moveset and in the case of original/custom characters know how we intend to make the character play to begin with. When it becomes the main game focus, what's stopping you from earning the best moves and sticking with a full set of them?

Finally, you say you've made a lot of games. What kind of games were they? I don't think a lot of small games will prepare you for a really big one like you plan to do, especially for something as complex as a fighter.
Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:41:12 pm by Darkflare
#9  January 29, 2016, 12:24:15 pm
    • UK
#10  January 30, 2016, 12:52:06 pm
  • Day Dreamer
    • Brazil
    • diego_moreira@oi.com.br
Hey good luck with that! How can we help you?

Some people on this forum are really pessimist and unwelcome uh? I dont know why to be so rude.
#11  January 30, 2016, 12:58:29 pm

those look like touch controls, is this for iphone?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12  March 01, 2016, 02:42:10 pm
    • UK
Hi! Not really 100% on platform, but the core concept of this game is that you don't actually do the fighting but rather program the brain of the fighter. In theory it could be standalone, browser, mobile, anything really.

It's supposed to take the best bits of MUGEN from a creator's point of view and let a user play around and make a character that fights brilliantly without them having to do user input. A big influence on us is the AI fighting in Saltybet that has all the nuance of hit/block advantages, frame data etc. but it's completely digestable for someone who will never be good at quick, reactive input.

Those icons at the bottom are to show which moves are playing at the time - in that screenshot there was a punch followed by a fireball.

I'd really like some input from people on this forum once we have a version that's playable, as it's going to take a lot of depth of experience (from a lot of people) to make this play well.

If you're interested please pm me, but regardless I'm going to update once we have something that can be played. Should be in a few weeks! Things are moving along well.

Here's some of the move icons we've been playing with:

Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:50:54 pm by Stalegum
#13  March 01, 2016, 05:34:08 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Not really 100% on platform, but the core concept of this game is that you don't actually do the fighting but rather program the brain of the fighter.

So you're basically implementing a RPS system. You can check as a reference King of Fighters Kyo on the PS One, or the Gameboy Dragon Ball games for a similar behavior and gameplay
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#14  March 02, 2016, 10:47:49 am
    • UK
You can check as a reference King of Fighters Kyo on the PS One, or the Gameboy Dragon Ball games for a similar behavior and gameplay

Thanks for these references, never played either of them! Spent last night playing both for a few hours, and it's a cool mechanic - we're going for something that's more constant, with no breaks at all. The combat will be completely fluid and the complex techniques and tactics will be player taught before the match.

We're also putting in 'active' moves - cancelling any AI based moves (within reason, air moves and set pieces can't be cancelled) so the player can change the tide of battle. This means hopefully we'll have the input but none of the stop/start that these games have, which might otherwise break the tension that's important in any fighting game.