YesNoOk

I need tips about this style(My own style). (Read 63700 times)

Started by Masterhand128, February 21, 2016, 10:54:51 pm
I need tips about this style(My own style).
#1  February 21, 2016, 10:54:51 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
Since I don´t have many experience of character styles, I will change to a another style...
But I need some tips for improve the quality of one of my edited character(Thanks Daniel, I realized my style is very sh*tty :P).

OH!, here is my sh*tty style:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This character is Trextrex65 and is a joke char, please, DON´T TAKE SERIOUSLY!
And I made this character for fun.
Note: I don´t know if I´m in the correct site for open this thread and sorry of the accidental thread derailment, I usually speak so much... :P

UPDATE:
The tile of this thread has been changed for making more sense.
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:18:31 pm by masterhand128
Re: I need tips about this style(POTS+INFINITE).
#2  February 22, 2016, 02:16:39 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Sorry to say, but it still doesn't make much sense... So by "style," do you mean the style in which characters are created (the way they behave) or do you mean the actual graphics (hitsparks/supersparks/portrait style) that your characters follow?

If it's either, I'd still say go with you're own style. The only one doing PotS' style should be PotS and the only one doing Infinite's style is Infinite.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#3  February 22, 2016, 03:28:47 pm
    • Spain
The pots+infinite style is like this:

Daniel sayed is a BAD conversion of POTS style.
And I need some tips for making a good character with a cool style.
#4  February 22, 2016, 03:44:31 pm
Study fighting games, lots of them. There are so many games out there with great ideas that go untouched because people just don't branch out from Capcom and SNK-senpai.

That said, making a good character comes first. Don't worry about what "style" it is until after you set your foundation.
#5  February 22, 2016, 03:50:45 pm
    • Spain
The Trextrex65´s gameplay is a little messy and probably I will alter, and maybe I will increase a little his velocity.
Maybe is a good idea for a character with this style?
#6  February 22, 2016, 03:51:49 pm
#7  February 22, 2016, 03:55:11 pm
    • Spain
OK, thank you for your tip.:)
I will improve the quality of my character but more later...
I have plans to edit another character and I have a lot of things in my personal life.
#8  February 22, 2016, 04:00:52 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I'm kind of curious... what's the point of asking for advice on things if you're going to ignore it? I mean, we basically both told you to find your own style.

Seriously, Niitris is spot on here. You have to "discover" your own style. I have my own, and it came from just trying many different things until I found something that I liked best for me. The best of it can be seen in my latest characters. Regardless, you actually need to be able to make a character from scratch in order to find your style from it. You can't try new things if you don't know how to. Edits are good and all, but unless they're complete overhauls, your own style won't come from it.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#9  February 22, 2016, 04:15:57 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I don't get the "style" thing anyway. Is it the aesthetic fx combined with the mechanics? That's what I think of with a certain "style". Along with my interpretation of the way a character would convert to said style.

So on the large you would simply need all the mechanics and sub systems used in POTS style along with universal fx? That seems more akin to researching those characters than just making a thread as this.

As an example if I was to convert Ken to Darkstalkers style I'd start with how the DS system would alter his play style on a universal level like he'd get magic series chains, guard reversals, pursuits, es attacks, ex attacks, etc. Then if fine tune him more because typical super moves don't translate well in most cases for es or ex attacks. And I'd refine him further to differentiate him more from Ryu after that. Because Vampire Savior didn't have clones. Even Morrigan and Lilith are totally different in how you play them.

Style isn't something you ask for info on. It's something you study, understand, and replicate.
#10  February 22, 2016, 04:29:49 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Don't do PotS style.

Seriously.

Only like 2-3 people have done it justice and the rest have half-assed it. It's not an easy system to code.
#11  February 22, 2016, 05:01:25 pm
some people seem to like pots style without knowing what it is.
and how is showing us screenshots gonna make us know anything about your style? tell us what sort of gameplay mechanics have you put in your characters.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12  February 22, 2016, 09:27:58 pm
    • Spain
Sorry my later. :P

Here is the Trextrex65´s gameplay:

I hope this information is very usefull. ;)

#13  February 22, 2016, 09:58:04 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
That says nothing about the system. That's a movelist.
#14  February 22, 2016, 10:11:42 pm
    • Spain
The systems lacks hitsparks, hitsounds, an other things(is very incomplete :P).
The problem are the supers special effects:

Is a bad conversion because if you realize the LVL 2 and LVL 3 has a inadequate special effect...
And I think POTS+Infinite maybe is a good idea as a sustitute.
PS: Ah!, I forgot, Trextrex65 has MvC BG super in "chickencombo" and "Trex Counter Beam", I will remove in the next update. :P
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:23:10 pm by masterhand128
#15  February 22, 2016, 10:33:35 pm
gameplay mechanics are not the movelist.
they are the elements that you put in your character that will determine how will the character play. for example, parries, alpha counters and variable combos are gameplay mechanics that exist in pots style.
pots style is a collection of gameplay mechanics from a multiple games. it's not god's gift to mugen, as much as the mugen community would like you to believe. i personally find the inclusion of parries and alpha counters together very redundant, i won't use the hassling alpha counters when i have the much easier and more rewarding parry available.

play fighting games, play pots characters, play MvC characters, play all kind of characters, and come up with your own style that you like. don't let what's popular influence you.
also, fuck hitsparks, they don't matter as much as you think they do.  i could make a char with kung fu man effects and people will like it, why? because of the gameplay.
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:37:05 pm by Gennos
#16  February 22, 2016, 10:56:43 pm
    • Spain
I always think in adding a lot of thing for "modernize" my edited character.
For this reason i think I needed to add more things.
But I didn´t like very much when Daniel sayed:

"This is not a style."
"This is just badly adapted PotS gimmicks with a poor understanding of any of them AND how MvC Works."
Yeah, and my character has a incomplete gameplay mechanics.

And about Trextrex65:

"Furthermore who gives a fuck about trextrex anymore."

What the...?! 0_0
But is a joke character, of curse nobody cares this guy, but I edited this character for fun and HE SHOULDN´T TAKE SERIOUSLY!
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:01:33 pm by masterhand128
#17  February 22, 2016, 11:15:45 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
some people seem to like pots style without knowing what it is.

Cause all the cool kids like it!

Nah, but in all seriousness, you simply have to study and understand fighters in general. What makes them fun? How they play (both beginner and maybe some advanced stuff and terms)? Once you learn and get use to stuff like that, try making your own character any way you want. Test and balance it out, be original, and just have fun with it. never be afraid to ask the community for help btw.

As far as mechanics, we want to know (in detail), how your character plays. Like, how do the combos work? How many buttons? Does he have any cool gimmicks like canceling stuff? Things like that. Don't just do a "style" cause of popularity or whatever "that" guys says... I mean, look at my Popeye for example... people expected it to be a simple edit, but I re-designed the char to play a lot different, with different systems and stuff, regardless if it played like DDR's version or not. I just created what i wanted to create (with some tweaking, of course...). 

And an important note, always be open to feedback. Whether it makes sense or not, it's always good to keep everyone's comments in mind, cause they can eventually help you into creating some good stuff in the future.

Hope this helps...
#18  February 22, 2016, 11:25:28 pm
    • Spain
You are right!
I gonna keeping my own style but in the future I gonna add more mechanics.

Here is my reaction when I have revealed against Daniel:

Goodbye and good night! :)

#19  February 22, 2016, 11:38:31 pm
But I didn´t like very much when Daniel sayed:
"This is not a style."
"This is just badly adapted PotS gimmicks with a poor understanding of any of them AND how MvC Works."
Yeah, and my character has a incomplete gameplay mechanics.
And about Trextrex65:
"Furthermore who gives a fuck about trextrex anymore."
What the...?! 0_0
But is a joke character, of curse nobody cares this guy, but I edited this character for fun and HE SHOULDN´T TAKE SERIOUSLY!
you are hopeless. im leaving.
#20  February 22, 2016, 11:40:46 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Who the fuck is Daniel?