YesNoOk

Stop the KOF 2003 hate (Read 60657 times)

Started by MattDeRac, February 27, 2016, 03:54:22 pm
Share this topic:
Stop the KOF 2003 hate
#1  February 27, 2016, 03:54:22 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac
Now I found something on the KOF Fandom that really annoyed me, Why do most of the KOF "Fans" hate King of Fighters 2003? I just don't understand why they hated it so much but they always praise KOF 98 and 2002, Is it because of Ash? Is it because of the soundtrack? Is it because of the tagging system? Is it because Athena was in a different team instead of the Psycho Soldiers? Or is it because the 98 and 02 fanboys just hate it for no reason and always say that 02 and 98 are the best KOF Games with no explanation?

I actually do enjoy KOF 98 and 2002 but I can't say they're the greatest KOF games of all time, I found all of the KOF Games to be good....well except for KOF MI1 and XII, The fanboys who keeps praising KOF 98 and 02 are the the Super Smash Melee Fanboys when they hate Super Smash Bros Brawl and Super Smash Brother on the 3DS and Wii U for no reason but praises Melee it's pretty much KOF 98 and 02 fanboys in a nutshell, With KOF 2003 I actually like the idea on the tagging system and seeing the new characters like Ash, Duolon, Shen, Tizoc and Gato from Mark of the Wolves, Malin, Adel and Mukai, I thought those characters are awesome and have good designs however I do found Mukai to be a disappointing boss for being a bit too easy.

But I mean come on KOF 2003 is NOT that bad! JFC :uneasy: It still plays like a KOF game but with a tagging system, why complain about it? If you want to play a shit KOF game play Maximum Impact 1 or KOF 12, those are the games that sucked. But still can anyone give me a good explanation about why King of Fighters 2003 gets hated for no reason? I just can't stand them anymore and it's just annoying. --;
Re: Stop the KOF 2003 hate
#2  February 27, 2016, 04:02:49 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
While we are at it..please also stop the Mortal Kombat: Deception hate everyone!

Sure, the gameplay was not the best every in a Mortal Kombat game and the most of the new characters were not the best either, but come on. Havik..the CHAOSREALM clerk was fun, and the Snake Kung Fu stance he got from Shang Tsung himself was still cool to see and total fitting for him. MK Deception also had a nice new boss who was at least better than fighting Quan Chi and Shang Tsung one after another in Mortal Kombat. Deadly Alliance or the boring Shinnok in Mortal Kombat 4.

The music was really cool in Mortal Kombat Deception, I still listen to "The Dragon King has left the building"  sometimes. It also had a few fun stages and stage fatalities. Sindel and Tanya sucked ass in that game though.  Please guys, stop hating the game. Please. <<--see? I said please.

Lets talk about that we should stop hatin' B.I.O.F.R.E.A.K.S and Death Cargo after this thread went..to somewhere else.
#3  February 27, 2016, 04:08:44 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac
I found Mortal Kombat Deception to be pretty good, But I found Armageddon to be the worst on the series, I'm not counting the shit spinoffs like Mythologies Sub Zero and Special Forces those ones sucked. I thought Armageddon was alright but I hate about this game is you have to make your own fatality and the shitty Konquest and it doesn't follow up the story well.
#4  February 27, 2016, 04:18:56 pm
'98 and 2002 are their most refined games, that's why

Most games in the series are really kinda iffy and as for 2003, it was a very experimental game. It was their first time trying a tag system in KoF which produced weird results. The amount of new characters didn't help any, naturally some of them turned out a bit off (Duolon was commonly banned from tourney play). They used new architecture to program everything which is why it feels so different from the other NeoGeo KoFs (possibly to combat piracy?). On top of all that, 2003 is glitched to hell which is why it didn't gain any serious traction. People just stuck with 2002, or '98.

In all honesty, 2003 was actually a really amazing effort if you take everything into consideration (SNK's revival, new programming, amount of new assets, altered gameplay, aging NeoGeo). Unfortunately effort alone doesn't make a good fighting game, and 2003 is far the the best in that respect.

I personally don't hate 2003, I just accept that it wasn't one of their better games. They basically made a superior version of it with XI.

Above all else, I love Athena's 03 team and I hope they team up again one day.
Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:23:22 pm by GS-Niitris
#5  February 27, 2016, 04:20:48 pm
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
Incredible... I was just thinking yesterday about 2003 and even though I hate the game, I admire them trying something new.

In the end, opinions will stand. I turned tagging off.
#6  February 27, 2016, 04:29:08 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
"stop disliking what I like" the thread.
#7  February 27, 2016, 04:29:59 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
I like 2003 too but it's a bit broken.

XI is better if not the best.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#8  February 27, 2016, 04:36:59 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I found Mortal Kombat Deception to be pretty good, But I found Armageddon to be the worst on the series, I'm not counting the shit spinoffs like Mythologies Sub Zero and Special Forces those ones sucked. I thought Armageddon was alright but I hate about this game is you have to make your own fatality and the shitty Konquest and it doesn't follow up the story well.

Yeah, it would have been a much smarter decision maybe to make a Mortal Kombat Trilogy 2 after Deception. The story sucked anyway, the time and funds for it could have been used to make the fighting itself better instead and make at least one fatality for the around 60 characters possible.

The only really cool thing about the story in Mk Armageddon was the gritty start of the intro and how the absolutely worst design ever for Stryker bitchslappled Mileena on their way to climb that pyramid. The fight between zombie Liu Kang and Shang Tsung there was also nice. But the rest...fu-barrrrrr
#9  February 27, 2016, 04:42:29 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac

Yeah, it would have been a much smarter decision maybe to make a Mortal Kombat Trilogy 2 after Deception. The story sucked anyway, the time and funds for it could have been used to make the fighting itself better instead and make at least one fatality for the around 60 characters possible.

The only really cool thing about the story in Mk Armageddon was the gritty start of the intro and how the absolutely worst design ever for Stryker bitchslappled Mileena on their way to climb that pyramid. The fight between zombie Liu Kang and Shang Tsung there was also nice. But the rest...fu-barrrrrr
Even Blaze, He's just ugh......he's one of the worst MK characters in the series, he's pretty much a Cinder ripoff from Killer Instinct
#10  February 27, 2016, 04:43:11 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac
'98 and 2002 are their most refined games, that's why

Most games in the series are really kinda iffy and as for 2003, it was a very experimental game. It was their first time trying a tag system in KoF which produced weird results. The amount of new characters didn't help any, naturally some of them turned out a bit off (Duolon was commonly banned from tourney play). They used new architecture to program everything which is why it feels so different from the other NeoGeo KoFs (possibly to combat piracy?). On top of all that, 2003 is glitched to hell which is why it didn't gain any serious traction. People just stuck with 2002, or '98.

In all honesty, 2003 was actually a really amazing effort if you take everything into consideration (SNK's revival, new programming, amount of new assets, altered gameplay, aging NeoGeo). Unfortunately effort alone doesn't make a good fighting game, and 2003 is far the the best in that respect.

I personally don't hate 2003, I just accept that it wasn't one of their better games. They basically made a superior version of it with XI.

Above all else, I love Athena's 03 team and I hope they team up again one day.

Thanks for telling me, I just can't stand it when they just hate the games for no reason, but atleast you explained why they didn't like it, It can be pretty glitchy but most of the time they rarely happen until you found one, But with the bootlegged games of KOF are even more glitchy,  But yeah I really want Athena to return for the Highschool Girls Team again and I really loved her outfit, I thought she looks cute in that idol outfit.
#11  February 27, 2016, 04:45:11 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac
I like 2003 too but it's a bit broken.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRqXcOj8K4[/youtube]

XI is better if not the best.

Rarely happens to me though, I do found the game flawed but It's not that bad
#12  February 27, 2016, 04:46:41 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Don't triple post. If you want to reply to more than one person or add something, use the Modify Button.
This is a generic forum signature.
#13  February 27, 2016, 04:48:05 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac

Another thing about MK Deception is that it's has alot of glitches like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyyc2pNoQdE and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-egksufiao
#14  February 27, 2016, 05:17:20 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
I like kof 2003's tag system.

Though as a marvel fan I'm a little biased.
#15  February 27, 2016, 05:44:31 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
TL;DR answer: balance and gameplay, kof 2k3 is one of the worse ones, fairly worse than 95 and in the bottom along with 94.to make matters worse, xi fixed everything that was wrong with 2k3 with pretty much the same roster, so there's no reason to play 2k3.
#16  February 27, 2016, 05:56:38 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
The music was good though.

Also, any reason XI isn't really played in tourneys at all anymore?
#17  February 27, 2016, 06:00:30 pm
    • Australia
    • Skype - MattDeRac
TL;DR answer: balance and gameplay, kof 2k3 is one of the worse ones, fairly worse than 95 and in the bottom along with 94.to make matters worse, xi fixed everything that was wrong with 2k3 with pretty much the same roster, so there's no reason to play 2k3.
I do agree that XI did fix things up but I found 95, 01, MI1 and XII worse
#18  February 27, 2016, 06:12:35 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
95 owns
#19  February 27, 2016, 06:33:09 pm
    • USA
I don't mean to be rude, just curious.

Who plays the old KOF games these days? They do look, feel, and seem a bit dated. Here in my area, people feel like CvS2 is ancient, and that was 2001-2008.... Also, MK Deadly Alliance and Deception was awesome.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#20  February 27, 2016, 06:35:22 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
^^ my man