YesNoOk

Cyberking - A Smash Inspired Not-Kyo (03.09.16 Patch) (Read 41833 times)

Started by Red Lunchbox, February 25, 2016, 03:25:30 am
Share this topic:
Cyberking - A Smash Inspired Not-Kyo (03.09.16 Patch)
#1  February 25, 2016, 03:25:30 am
    • USA
    • reddlunchbox.tumblr.com/mugen/

Cyberking is part of a custom style I'm working on that's highly based around the Smash Bros series. It focuses on high maneuverability and easy to perform input commands. I designed with the intention of allowing people who are not skilled at traditional fighting game inputs to easily focus on spacing, timing, and move choice rather than having to worry about button mashing. It's also intended to be a lot easier on people who play MUGEN with a keyboard.

CK is basically me building a full character based around the Prototype Tetsu edit I made. A lot of the fundamental concepts remain the same: An all-around fighter with four special attacks and four super moves that cover a variety of uses. CK is designed as an easy to pick up character who has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Spoiler: 03.09.16 Update (click to see content)

Spoiler: Controls (click to see content)

Special Thanks:
-Jmorphman for the Color separated Kyo sprites as well one of the flame effects.
-POTS for nearly all of the FX as well as various snippets of code.
-JustNoPoint (I believe) for ripping the effect used when charging Buster Punch.
-DavidGee for the parry code.
-RandomTalkingBush for the Smash sound rips.
-XCB for creating Tetsu, whom I used as a base to create the prototype edit in order to test out the gameplay for this character.

Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:21:05 am by Red Lunchbox
Re: Cyberking - A Smash Inspired Not-Kyo
#2  February 25, 2016, 05:21:17 am
  • I'm like M. Bison. Only funner. And tickle prone.
    • USA
    • dcoolness121@yahoo.com
    • Bungie.net
Ohh yes. This is glorious. Download link though? Wanna try it out.
#3  February 25, 2016, 05:30:22 am
    • USA
WHOOPS. can't believe I messed that one up. It should be fixed now.
#4  February 25, 2016, 06:56:38 am
  • Raging Fist
Gotta say this character is pretty unique. Nice work : 3
#5  February 25, 2016, 03:40:19 pm
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
I'll test it and see what's up... Seems interesting...
#6  February 25, 2016, 06:06:09 pm
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
Awesome. Seeing unique takes on chars is the best.

I have to ask, why the name Cyberking?
#7  February 25, 2016, 07:36:04 pm
    • USA
I really just went with it because it sounded neat enough and doesn't really hold too much relevance.  It came to me as a portmanteau between CyberQueen and King Kazma.
#8  February 26, 2016, 03:28:31 am
    • USA
    • stev1mj1s11@gmail.com
When you do that counter special. The punch takes away no damage
#9  February 26, 2016, 03:41:55 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
While I like this character, I would say if you really want to help people understand the basics of fighting games, removing being able to change direction in the air and giving him a double jump would help people learn how to use jump effectively, while still letting people jump out of a bad situation.

Regardless of that this is great, if I find anything wonky I'll let you knw.
#10  February 26, 2016, 04:11:19 am
  • I'm like M. Bison. Only funner. And tickle prone.
    • USA
    • dcoolness121@yahoo.com
    • Bungie.net
He's really interesting. I'm having fun fighting against Ahuron's Omega Shingo.
#11  February 26, 2016, 05:00:15 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Nice concept.

Maybe you should be more in-depth in your readme (p.e. the x,x,x punch combo and other standard attacks, like crouching ones).
Is it by design that Cyberking can run through p2?

ExL

#12  February 26, 2016, 10:04:21 am
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
Gameplay is quite dynamic, I like that. What I don't like is that it's both dodge and run through, it doesn't sits well with me, somewhat weird. Probably I'm to used to not being able to run through opponent. Also would preferred small dash for aerial dodge.
It's a good experiment, will look forward for what it'll bring :neutral:
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#13  February 26, 2016, 03:55:12 pm
    • USA
I can definitely see making forward/back aerial doge in a small dash.

When you do that counter special. The punch takes away no damage

That happens if it use it when the opponent is above 1/2 health (you'll hear the duck sound to indicate that it failed), if they're below that then it automatically kills. It's a homage to the one scene in One Punch Man while combining in the mechanics of Cloud's Finishing Touch.

Is it by design that Cyberking can run through p2?

It's by design. It's one of the elements I incorporated from Smash, where you can go through opponents via running. 

While I like this character, I would say if you really want to help people understand the basics of fighting games, removing being able to change direction in the air and giving him a double jump would help people learn how to use jump effectively, while still letting people jump out of a bad situation.

Regardless of that this is great, if I find anything wonky I'll let you knw.

Thank you for the input! I will say that being able to change direction in the air is one the key features of this style carried over from Smash. A lot of the design was inspired from looking at the things that Sakurai did to make Ryu feel authentic to the Street Fighter franchise and then kinda, reversing them.

That being said, different characters that come out in this style will have different air acceleration speeds. And I might end up doing a recreation of Ryu's Sm4sh incarnation since there are a lot of elements that can be used to help people understand the basics of fighting games. (E.x. Button+Direction commands while also being able to preform stronger versions of attacks by doing the original SF inputs)
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:11:01 pm by RedLuncbox
#14  February 26, 2016, 08:33:21 pm
    • Puerto Rico
This is a very interesting and fun character (not many I've seen that play like this, and smooth). So here's some feedback:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Some of these are kinda opinion based (since the style you choose sometimes clashes with my smash instincts and fighting game instincts, so they may not be needed, just optional. I'll note them with the (*) mark).

Feedback is in spoiler.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

All I found so far. Just got to messing with him, so I'll be sure to test it out more and seeing what i can do/post. Cool ass character dude...
#15  February 27, 2016, 03:09:41 am
    • USA
Thank you for the feedback!

Things I can definitely do:
-Neutral Super hitting OTG
-Allowing him to combo into Neutral and Forward Supers. Back would be overpowered as hell and Doen would be useless.
-Adding a flash effect to the smash attacks.
-Look into the pause time of his jab combo.

Other Reaponses:
-His Forward Special is kind of it's own thing, it just happens to take him up into the air. I went with Down/Forward/Back being the directions instead of Up/Side/Down due to the difference of mechanics. (No recovery moves/ledge/edge-guarding)

-The lack of a double jump was experimental for the same reasons.
(EDIT: He'll get one in the next release)

-The wavedashing was actually kinda unintended on my part! Although reading that he has one made me laugh lol. I kept the airdodging mechanics closer to Melee than Sm4sh, but I didn't actively try to make sure that he could wavedash. But since it turns out he can I'll probably look into expanding on it.

-The Dair's a stall-then-fall move, and both its sweet spot and sour spot do more damage than other aerial attacks. Granted, it's possible that the balancing on those moves isn't perfect, and so I can look into adjusting the landing lag if need be.
Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:00:05 am by RedLuncbox
#16  February 27, 2016, 12:20:33 pm
I think it was fine with having just a single jump.  :tiny:
#17  February 27, 2016, 02:47:35 pm
  • Nostalgic Addic
  • Working...
    • USA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@NessTheAvatar
Wow.  I know I don't post as much on here lately, but on a whim I decided to give this thing a go.  I'm overly impressed.  This is CoTM material right here.. I love how you've adapted the system RLB used, coupled it with nice effects, and turned CvS2 Kyo into something completely different and original.. It a stange way, it reminds me of what the none did with Segalow and Magic Geese without the silly stuff involved... This is absolutely excellent, and quickly made it's way on to my main roster.  Thanks so much for an awesome character!
#18  February 28, 2016, 12:44:38 am
    • USA
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

I'm in the process of adding a second control scheme that's designed for people comming at this character from Smash rather than MUGEN. It makes adjustments such as having jump/block buttons, Back Tilt/Smash/Super remapped Up-Tilt/Smash/etc, and no auto turning. He'll gain a double jump in this mode, while keeping only one jump in the original control scheme.
#19  February 28, 2016, 03:11:10 am
    • Puerto Rico
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

I'm in the process of adding a second control scheme that's designed for people comming at this character from Smash rather than MUGEN. It makes adjustments such as having jump/block buttons, Back Tilt/Smash/Super remapped Up-Tilt/Smash/etc, and no auto turning. He'll gain a double jump in this mode, while keeping only one jump in the original control scheme.

Swag. But real quick, will he have a short hop/jump button of some kind, or will it be default tap jump?
#20  February 28, 2016, 04:53:59 am
    • USA
Tap jump will be off in Smash mode, on in MUGEN mode, so he'll have a jump button instead of having to tilt upwards.