YesNoOk

Optional Animation Standards (Read 600384 times)

Started by Jmorphman, February 16, 2012, 03:40:11 am
Share this topic:
Re: Optional Animation Standards
#101  May 11, 2015, 11:10:12 am
    • China
    • http://vans.trinitymugen.net/
Why.
#102  May 11, 2015, 11:49:29 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
What? Jango, there totally is a standard for Frozen.

http://shakesdream.web.fc2.com/SpecialStatus_003_hyouketsu.html

7698 is the standard for it normally, but can also show up as 7990 and 7991 for air, as well as 9016 for ground alt.
whenever it happens in a commercial game
Basically what I meant to say is that it usually doesn't happen in a commercial fighter because there's really no need for it. If the creator has one of the two methods I outlined as a fallback, that's enough. It's not like, say, Midnight Bliss where the whole anim looks weird if you don't have compatibility.
#103  May 11, 2015, 08:07:02 pm
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
Oh oops. Must've missed that. ^^;
#104  October 12, 2015, 08:38:49 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
If anyone is interested in including a "Pac-Man" animation in their character for the "Arcade" hyper used by my WIP character, Jailbot:

Maximum "head" dimensions should be no larger than 14x14 (does not count hair/stuff that looks OK going out of bounds)
The axis should be center aligned inside the "head"
Should have 2 animations (one for left/right, one for down) - If you only make the L/R animation, that's fine - it will also work.

Character should have some semblance to Pac-Man.

Animatation numbers to be compatible:
17210 - Left/Right
17211 - Down

EXAMPLE:
KFPM

Without a custom "Pac-Man" animation, the enemy is instead scaled down using anims 0 (stand) and 20 (walk).

#105  October 13, 2015, 03:10:03 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Wouldn't it be better to turn the opponent into pacman if the required sprites are not available? So it'd still feel more custom?

At this point shouldn't the 4th hit anim from capcom characters be a standard? 5000-30, 5010-30, 5020-30

Does anyone actually use these numbers for anything else? I even tend to see them in the 50x1-30 and 50x2-30 spots in most Capcom sff
#106  October 13, 2015, 03:40:08 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Wouldn't it be better to turn the opponent into pacman if the required sprites are not available? So it'd still feel more custom?
I'd rather it be more personal - I think using the opponent's anims better conveys that they have become integrated into the game.  I'm sure you've seen a clip that I've uploaded with this behavior, if not here's a link.  I like to think it's not too shabby.

Plus, I spent way too much time trying to perfect the shrink / scale / rotate coding to just not use it anymore  :hyo:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#107  October 27, 2015, 07:53:12 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
JNP: Doesn't matter at all. Thing is, unless you add an identifier animation there is no true way of saying "This character has these sprites" as they will normally be included within existing animations. You won't be adding an extra anim just for those. And without the ability to check

selfanimexist(784574) = 1
in the custom state itself, nobody truly knows if their animation can use them or not. So unless there is a "check for capcom" which means you adhere to a specific capcom standard of sprites. Nobody is going to do anything. Unless it's a super special animation, you should always try and make it look right with the required sprites as listed.

And of course the animcheck method CAN bug out if someone uses one of those values for an effect or something as common standards do not exist within the elecbyte documentation. I would suggest we amalgamate the most common ones, like collapse, or guard crush and next time Elecbyte show up request they are placed in the documentation. We could do it for any other version of mugen we put online for access while they don't exist, but it's not going to be global enough, while a new version would be.

What ARE the common ones. Midnight bliss is nice, but tbh it's in response to a single character. So are a bunch of the other special darkstalkers animations. Guard crush, collapse. Fallen on stomach/stomach get up.  Anything else particularly? Looking for COMMON features, not fancy things.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#108  October 27, 2015, 02:11:22 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Well that's for all the optional animations. Even JMM says he thinks he's the only one that uses the collapse in fight standard. I thought it was pretty common to use identifier code to be sure a character has optional community standard sprites/animations. I'm suggesting the -30 frames be added to this BECAUSE they are used so often by so many authors in so many characters from multiple Capcom games.

I'm sure more characters have those frames than have guard crush or collapse.
#109  November 06, 2015, 05:01:08 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Good to know this thread is still on use. As you know, I'm working on Bishamon and seeing again this thread I decide to use the Seppuku state for EX Snap Sword (Haneyaiba). I'll be testing this so when I release Bishamon I let you know to use him as example so anyone can make his own Seppuku anim ;)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#110  November 06, 2015, 05:05:29 am
  • T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • USA
    • Skype - shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/xenomic/
@Cyanide: Midnight Bliss isn't just used by Demitri, it's used by quite a few characters actually. Kang, Dooby Dummy, Pikapon's Tewi (no drain though), amongst others. Shock is used by quite a few, as well as Burned.

So yeah, Midnight Bliss is rather common. Shock, Burned, and Frozen are too. Those are what comes to mind at the current time. And I see you making fun of mah thread there, Jmorphman! : V
#111  March 28, 2016, 04:34:46 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
As I'm making the throws and hits for my Rikuo there are of course several frames more than required.

How would be the best way for me to set a standard for all these little hit sprites I need in the opponent's sff?

Would the best method be to just tell where I put all these sprites at in the sff and to make 1 air animation that just holds them all with no timing preference so my character can look and see if it's there to see if the character is fully DS compatible?
#112  March 28, 2016, 08:13:54 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
-Add all the non required sprites to Rikuo
-in the .air make two different get hit animations. One that uses required frames and one that uses the non standard frames.
-Choose a number not used in this thread for the get hit animation and have it be triggered by selfanimexist
-In the readme/release thread, include an animation skeleton which has the timings and axis positioning if required. Something like:

[Begin Action 5555]
5555,0, 0,0, 24; head
5555,1, 0,0, 5; mid
5555,2, 0,0, 9; foot

-Then add your new standard to this thread and BAM. :D

#113  March 28, 2016, 08:42:45 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That would make me needing to make several new standard anims.

My suggestion was to do this:
-Add all the non required sprites to Rikuo
-in the .air make two different get hit animations. One that uses required frames and one that uses the non standard frames.
-Choose a number not used in this thread for the get hit animation and have it be triggered by selfanimexist
-In the readme/release thread, include an animation skeleton which has the timings and axis positioning if required. Something like:

The only difference being I'd need only 1 animation standard instead of making several.

Example:
5000, 21-32 are unique get hit high anims
5010,1 is a unique mid-ish looking get hit
5010, 21-29 unique mid get hits
5020, 30 low get hit
5040, 1 extra hit ground frame
5040, 11 extra hit ground frame
5040, 21 extra get hit on ground
5160, 0 falling frame

Now instead of making several unique animations I was considering making 1 animation I'd search for that contains all the frames.
Noting where in the sff the sprites should be. So if you have this animation you are compatible with all my Rikuo's get hits, throws, etc

Any hits that need the animations will put the enemy in a custom state. So if they have the animation group in their air file it would play all animations correctly. If not it'd use a fill in as you suggested.

Does that sound like a better way for all these unique oddball hit frames that can be used in many cases?
#114  March 28, 2016, 09:04:33 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
AHHHH

I get it now. I thought you meant a throw.

There's no need for any standard when it comes to additional frames, I usually just go up in ones for the extra frames. I did that for Bulleta.

#115  March 28, 2016, 09:07:25 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Some of these are needed in throws though :P To be accurate.
#116  March 28, 2016, 10:10:46 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It's pretty hard to be accurate with throw animations for P2 and usually isn't worth it. Can a basic version be implemented using the standard get hit sprites?
#117  March 28, 2016, 10:18:09 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Well of course. I'm making a standard alternative. I just wanted an optional standard for those that may have the frames needed for fully accurate anims is all.

I just never saw a super check. I mean it could just be something like a blank anim like Messatsu uses  really. Just to note that the character has all the sprites in the right places. That was the plan. I was asking if that'd be a good way to do it.
#118  March 28, 2016, 10:20:25 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, but it seems like it's a bit more complicated than the usual method (even though it reduces the amount of animations to be added to one).
#119  March 28, 2016, 10:37:32 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Since the payoff is so small it seemed easier to me than having to make ppl add several anims for all these extra totally nothing special get hit animations. The specific standards seem mostly geared to bigger changes. I'm sure I'll be the only one to use it but in the event others want to call those specific get hits too it'd add a sort of sub required set.

Thanks for the input guys!
#120  February 28, 2017, 12:28:01 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv