YesNoOk

Converting chars to Darkstalker style ideas and discussions (Read 3669 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, April 25, 2016, 03:14:44 pm
Converting chars to Darkstalker style ideas and discussions
#1  April 25, 2016, 03:14:44 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I know it's a bit off since I haven't finished the base char Rikuo yet but I want to discuss some ideas for characters from time to time. This thread will help me retain ideas better and hopefully build upon them.

When discussing conversion ideas please keep in mind my characters need 3 different conversions.
DS1 and DS2 are pretty similar You can more than likely lump these together as in most cases DS2 (Nightwarriors) simply adds more specials or EX attacks. So unless you have a specific idea you'd think would fit the DS1 style better you can lump them together and tell me what you think can be held out from DS1.

The other is Vampire Savior mode. Generally characters went through big changes here or were refined a bit more. They could be similar to NW versions or be changed quite a bit.

If you respond with suggestions please be knowledgeable of the games a bit.

So with SFV out and the DLC on it's way the character I want to convert the most currently is Guile!
His new abilities have really inspired me on how i'd convert him.

So DS1/2 would be pretty much SFA Guile
DS1 would have the 2 basics Sonic Boom and Flash Kick. He'd have a special throw (unsure what yet) and Sonic Hurricane would be his only EX attack.
His pursuit will have him jump up and land with a double stomp while his ES version will also have him plant a US flag and solute.

ES Sonic Boom will hit twice, have a larger hit area, and be fast. His ES Flashkick will be his LVL 3 flash kick from SFA with much less damage of course.
Sonic Hurricane will sit longer if it does not hit an opponent creating trap situations.
DS2 would add a new EX where he runs in and grabs the opponent and does an auto combo.

DS3 has the same stuff but adds to it more.
Now he will have a new special attack. QCB+P will make him do his V-Skill from SFV. It creates a stationary Sonic Boom that enhances many of his specials, ES, and EX attacks. The strength of the Punch button determines where the stationary SB will sit. LP makes it sit right where he creates it. MP travels about midscreen before sitting and SP travels far.

His Sonic Boom and ES SB will deal a bit more damage, causes the opponent to stay in hit stun longer and cuts them in half.

His Flashkick and ES FK deal a bit more damage, fires off the MVC projectile from the kick, and leave the opponent grounded a bit longer while they recover from getting sliced in half up the middle.

His Sonic Hurricane can travel if you use it with the stationary one. It deals more damage as well.

His Dark Force will allow him to throw Sonic Booms by pressing punch. And do flash kicks with no charge needed.

He will gain a new EX attack where he calls in an air strike You see the plane flying toward in the BG then goes up out of screen. 3 bombs drop. One bomb drops on each side of screen and one in the middle. Each bomb is slightly delayed from each other. Depending on the 2 buttons pressed to initiate the move you can control the order of the drop. Start from in front of you, middle, furthest. If it connects it will knock them into the air for the middle to hit, then again for the furthest to hit.

You can start from furthest and go to closer. This juggles them toward you. You can also Make 1 start in the middle then the two outer bombs fall at the same time. So if the explosion hits the opponent on either side of the middle bomb it's blow them that direction. If blocked the explosions still push you in the said directions.

That's my early ideas for Guile.
I'll add more later. I figure next I'll discuss Akuma!
Re: Converting chars to Darkstalker style ideas and discussions
#2  April 25, 2016, 04:05:15 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
More command OTG's  like Felicia's and Bishamon's cause they're fun and challenging.

For Guile's other OTG  just use his aerial weak kick then it will combo into his back breaker when he hits the opponent with his knee.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:10:03 pm by rgveda99
#3  April 25, 2016, 04:21:55 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Some characters will get special otg attacks but I don't see Guile as one of them. I wanted to maintain his core the best I could. Though his double sweep will hit OTG after the 1st connects.

Off the top of my head I think it'd work well with Bison, Vega, and Zangief.

But you're right. Special OTGs are fun!
#4  April 25, 2016, 04:51:14 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Will these conversions include Marvel characters?

and Zangief.

Cool. Are you thinking of using Colossus' OTG grab in XCOTA?

So unless you have a specific idea you'd think would fit the DS1 style better you can lump them together and tell me what you think can be held out from DS1.

Replace it with a DS and Asura Busters hybrid. The game is pretty much DS with a lot of Off The Wall combos. Even 3 of its characters (Alice, Rose Mary and Taurus) fit perfectly with DS. Asura Busters is really an amazing game. The game plays like Marvel Super Heroes with EX specials minus super jumping. The challenge would be to animate/sprite a blowback animation.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:55:40 pm by rgveda99
#5  April 25, 2016, 05:49:07 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Will these conversions include Marvel characters?
Yes, for certain I want to convert Ruby Heart, Amingo, and SonSon since they were rumored to be for a DS sequel.
Others if really like to convert are Juggernaut, Blackheart, and Spiral.
More as time permits depending on how quick my template will allow me to make new chars

Another priority non DS char I want to make is Len from Melty Blood.

Cool. Are you thinking of using Colossus' OTG grab in XCOTA?
I doubt I'll reuse another fighter's animations. I want it to be a wrestling move of some sort though. Maybe a scorpion death lock but it'd need new custom hit states.

Replace it with a DS and Asura Busters hybrid. The game is pretty much DS with a lot of Off The Wall combos. Even 3 of its characters (Alice, Rose Mary and Taurus) fit perfectly with DS. Asura Busters is really an amazing game. The game plays like Marvel Super Heroes with EX specials minus super jumping. The challenge would be to animate/sprite a blowback animation.
1st off I'd never seen that game and it looks extremely fun so I'll be checking it out soon! However I won't be making any hybrids and sticking within source DS games and the tweaks from Chronicles for their different modes to make the old styles hang with newer styles.

#6  April 25, 2016, 06:39:55 pm
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
DS1 and DS2 are pretty similar You can more than likely lump these together as in most cases DS2 (Nightwarriors) simply adds more specials or EX attacks. So unless you have a specific idea you'd think would fit the DS1 style better you can lump them together and tell me what you think can be held out from DS1.
Eh, they're more different than you'd think. There are a few general system differences that apply to almost everyone. For example DS1 had no chain cancel restriction (i.e., you could do LP, MP, HP, special, provided said HP was cancellable), it had nearly universal midair guard cancels (basically any midair special could be used as a guard cancel from air block) and you could have an air and a ground projectile on screen at once (both Morrigan and Demitri could do this, although Demitri could make more use of it due to both his air and ground projectiles travelling horizontally). There were also cases of characters actually losing moves in the transition from DS1 to NW, although they were usually superfluous moves (stuff like Sasquatch's Big Shake and Victor's High Giga Buster). Also DS1 had a tendency toward lots of multi-hit normals (for example DS1 Felicia had 2 hit cs.MP, fs.MP and j.HK, all of those became 1 hit from NW onwards).

Personally the thought of making a DS-styled Norimaro has crossed my mind. I'd make his Dark Force temporarily give him his quadruple jump ability that he originally had in MSHvSF if you entered a certain button code.
#7  April 25, 2016, 06:49:44 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'm aware of the system differences and character specific tweaks for the most part. And intend to learn more on a char to char basis as I'll have to play DS1 and the chronicle versions to note all differences better. I'll be sure to do that and have at least 2 DS chars converted before I move to adapting other game's characters.

I was mostly talking specials and such in this thread. Much more general :p

Hah now I want to see how Norimaru would work out! I haven't thought of him since Marvel Super Heroes but he'd be a hoot in a DS game!
New #8  April 25, 2016, 06:54:02 pm
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
I figured I'd make his item toss special a bit more like Hsien-Ko's, arc varying by button strength and such. Also if I could get someone to try and recreate the sprites for his lost kancho throw, that would become his special throw. His j.HK animation would make a nice pursuit attack, and you could tack on the dj.MK (the one where he looks like he's trying to run away in midair) for extra hits for the ES version.

Oh, and of course, work in that scrapped nosebleed thing! Maybe make it some sort of special taunt like Anakaris's parade. Maybe add more characters for him to fantasize about, too.