YesNoOk

Good (read: non-obnoxious) LPers/streamers? (Read 29935 times)

Started by Griffin JAGElroy, June 26, 2016, 02:40:30 am
Share this topic:
Good (read: non-obnoxious) LPers/streamers?
#1  June 26, 2016, 02:40:30 am
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com
Hope this is the right place for a thread like this.

Now, for a good while, my go-to source for good video game playthroughs with commentary that didn't make me want to take an icepick to my ear (i.e. devoid of offensive jokes, fake screaming at jumpscare moments, etc.) was the Vinesauce gang. And as of recently, I've been hooked on the Let's Plays of a guy called ManlyBadassHero. Long story short, I made this thread as a means to get some reccomendations for some good LPers/streamers to follow.

And as stated in the title, I have no desire to follow any of those who are flat-out obnoxious and painful to watch. So that means anybody like PewDiePie or Markiplier are by default not good reccomendations. I mean, I understand that they're the biggest names in the Let's Play business and even in the pantheon of YouTube personalities (that was fucking painful to write, BTW), but they're just not my cup of tea.
Re: Good (read: non-obnoxious) LPers/streamers?
#2  June 26, 2016, 02:45:05 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
The entirety of Vinesauce
m6000w
ProtonJon
Kamekaze
JZ/Vans
EvilHomer
Helix_Snake
The_None
VGCW/Belmont/TheTOH/Bazza

All you need stream wise.
Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:12:52 pm by Orochi Gill
#3  June 26, 2016, 03:08:37 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
The only LPer I watch is Centerstrain01, I don't even sub to him because his video spam can be insane especially if he goes to cons or trade events. I got his playlist page bookmarked instead. His forte is careful walkthroughs and stealth playthroughs. His voice usually doesn't overpower the gameplay and he also doesn't talk during cutscenes, which he lets play out.
#4  June 26, 2016, 03:20:09 am
  • The Goddess Returns
I'll add MasterLL, OmegaEvolution and DarkKefka to that list.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#5  June 26, 2016, 03:45:59 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
The Super Best Friends are easily my favorite LP channel on Youtube.  They actually do legitimately funny commentary, not obnoxious, screamy overreactions or bad AVGN impersonations likes most LPers out there.  Plus, all of them have professional experience as game testers and backgrounds in game design so they also provide interesting insights and observations on the technical and aesthetic aspects of the game they're playing, and what does and doesn't work from a design standpoint.

Plus bonus points for this forum in particular:  Every so often they'll do a video where they gamble on Salty Bet tournaments.
#6  June 26, 2016, 03:52:19 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
The Best Friends are the only LPers I watch

Giant Bomb are the only streamers I watch

They both cross over into the other areas enough to satisfy
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#7  June 26, 2016, 03:54:15 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
#8  June 26, 2016, 04:02:47 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The only acceptable answer
#9  June 26, 2016, 10:33:03 am
I have a hunch your definition of 'obnoxious' isn't going to be the same as a lot of other people's. The people you listed are 'famous' for a reason. It ultimately comes down to taste, and all you're really saying is 'don't give me things I don't like', and well, good luck with that. Gonna have to try things out for yourself, we're not gonna be able to read your mind on that front.

I'm subbed to Game Grumps, Super Beard Bros, Jesse Cox, Run Button, and uselesspodcasts. That last one, though I'm not sure what they're doing now, started out as two ex-Insomniac devs LPing/director's commentary-ing Ratchet & Clank 2 and 3. A really good watch if you're a fan of those games.
#10  June 27, 2016, 03:39:29 am
    • USA
You may have a point regarding differring definitions of what is deemed "obnoxious". Should've taken that into account when starting this thread.

Anyways, I've rediscovered Slowbeef and Diabetus through the former's Snatcher Let's Play and have watched a lot of the two's Retsupurae vids (though those don't count, as they mainly consist of watching another person's playthrough whilst riffing on the game being played). And I've also started watching those Games Repainted streams and those were pretty damn funny.
#11  June 27, 2016, 03:58:33 am
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Is ProtonJonSA still active? I've always thought he was pretty good at being funny without being obnoxious, his Kaizo LP and Wacky Mario World are some of my favorites.
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#12  June 27, 2016, 05:32:56 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Is ProtonJonSA still active? I've always thought he was pretty good at being funny without being obnoxious, his Kaizo LP and Wacky Mario World are some of my favorites.

Yes he is still active. I hear he typically do live-streams nowadays however...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#13  June 27, 2016, 10:01:11 am
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Since we're talking about LP recommendations, I also recommend RhoamMythril, less known for his LPs and more famously known for his MegaMan perfect runs, though his LPs are also solid from what I remember (I had no complains for his LP of MegaMan Network Transmission).
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#14  June 27, 2016, 10:19:27 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
The only LP I really enjoyed was MeccaPrime's LP of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Have the first episode on me.

And oddly enough I have a softspot for... Markiplier's... LP of Outlast. It's kinda weird to see how different the quality of his output was before he made it his job.
#15  June 27, 2016, 10:46:45 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
-Gopher is fucking amazing in every way.His Fallout NV and Fallout 4 playthroughs are awesome.Pls note that he usually spends a good chunk of time talking about mods and mods he is gonna make himself,as his channel is originally all 'bout mods and how to install them.
He provides entertaining commentary and I haven't heard the man curse in months now,which is rare for most LP-ers
He also streams random stuff here and there but its mostly Xcom,and has a channel just dedicated to uploading his full streams

-Tru3Ta1ent is a streamer thats somehow good at every game he fucking touches but annoys me after a while 'cause he is hellbent on complimenting the shit out of every opponent he plays.I mean its kinda ok when its a fighting game and the enemy shows some skill but he's playing Dead by Daylight on his streams now and praises the shit out of people just because they run away from him.
He also never removes his hat for whatever reason and used to stream shirtless for a year or 2 until Twitchs laws put a stop to it.He now wears a multitude of shirts and I question whether he even had them before twitch forced him to wear 'em.Fuck,for all I know he never even wore pants
#16  June 27, 2016, 07:41:29 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
-Gopher is fucking amazing in every way.His Fallout NV and Fallout 4 playthroughs are awesome.Pls note that he usually spends a good chunk of time talking about mods and mods he is gonna make himself,as his channel is originally all 'bout mods and how to install them.
He provides entertaining commentary and I haven't heard the man curse in months now,which is rare for most LP-ers
He also streams random stuff here and there but its mostly Xcom,and has a channel just dedicated to uploading his full streams

Just to warn people, his LPs are always about Bethesda related stuff, specially from Fallout 3, NV & 4, and Skyrim, though he likes to touch other RPGs that allow lots of immersion like Witcher 3. And he likes to roleplay as the character he's playing as. If you don't like this, his videos can be quite boring, but since he likes to add mods to his playthroughs it tends to add some variety fortunately. I do follow him, but mainly about his incredibly useful announcement of new mods (as he likes to show mods more meant for immersion rather than cool stuff).

And as for me:
- Centerstrain01: specially for stealth playthroughs with good commentaries about what to do to be undetected.
- Kikoskia: for really good nostalgia trips plus fun commentary. I highly recommend this one.
- Slaydra: Only for YGO fans. He tends to comment about new cards, and also comment about games other people do that he received from them, explaining what happens during the duel, and show deck builds that really help me build good ones. Barely LP, but I think it fits IMO.
- GheyForGames: Interesting LPs of all Dark Souls and Bloodborne games. They also did excellent walkthroughs for all games except the last Dark Souls 3. Any new player should use them in case they're having difficulty in adapting to those games.

I see people putting other Youtubers that don't really make commentaries but only put good playthroughs of the games they play. I've never watched OmegaEvolution speak in his videos, for example.
#17  June 27, 2016, 08:52:19 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
I think Omega speaks when he does streams and stuff but yeah, he doesn't really talk in his Youtube playthroughs
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#18  June 27, 2016, 09:18:59 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Kikoskia: may not use the most optimal strategies in the games he plays but his commentary is still fun to listen to.
Necroscope86: He and Kikoskia are the reasons I got interested in XCom. Plus hes got a sexy british accent.  :neutral:
ChippyGaming & HappyDays: Mostly do Terraria videos, but always fun to watch because the game is so replayable, not only with different classes but the amount of mods that exist for the game.
#19  June 27, 2016, 10:44:58 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
My absolute favorite are Chip And Ironicus. Funny, informative and all around quality.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumLPs

Bobbin Threadbare. Lot's of information and analysis stuff about the games and surrounding themes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ThreadbareInc

Supergreatfriend. Very chill and throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/user/supergreatfriend

Geop.  Just cool friends having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GeopLP

I think that's it. I also enjoy some text and picture based LP's, mostly on LParchive.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:53:01 pm by Mechy
#20  August 08, 2016, 02:28:50 am
    • USA
Bumping just to say that a lot of these are some pretty damn good recommendations. I've also been checking out this one person called amagishien recently. Though not an LPer per se, they've showcased a lot of games made with the Dezaemon series of shmup-maker software.