YesNoOk

Digimon Tag Arena (Beta Updated 2/13/2018) (Read 57017 times)

Started by DarkWolf13, August 03, 2016, 09:11:27 pm
Share this topic:
Digimon Tag Arena (Beta Updated 2/13/2018)
#1  August 03, 2016, 09:11:27 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
This came to my mind the week of my vacation... I wanted to do something that could be like an actual fullgame and I used to make lots of Digimon characters for the collection at MFFA. As I was looking at the spritesheets I download from dA... I was wondering if I can make a fullgame out of it and so I started to plan out how it goes. As I was brainstorming, the idea of having a 2v2 Tag instantly came up and I took it to consideration and then I began to think of add004. I saw how the lifebars and ports were coded in individual characters and I was thinking I should try something similar to that. So... with the Digimon characters in mind and the 2v2 Tag system... I thought of the name of the game as Digimon Tag Arena. Let me get to the point and show an example on a 640x480 screen.

What you see here are the lifebars and powerbars I made in photoshop. Unlike a screenpack, the lifebars and powers will be coded onto the FIGHTERS files instead of the fight.def. And unlike the lifebars from SP, these lifebars will have the names of the fighters already put together as a sprite and will be added as helpers because the way I want the lifebars to work is like from the SFA series. Like the yellow will insta-drop with the red following. You'll see what I mean when you take a look at any SFA match. As you can see in the... only one NON-Digimon character, which is M. Bison, will be in the game as one of the 2 Final Bosses. In Simul, you'll fight both Bosses. This M. Bison comes from SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium. I selected MachGaogamon to be the main character of the fullgame. I'm still thinking of a story about it...

On the top of the lifebars is the HP counter, which'll, of course, represent how much HP the fighter has remaining. The ports in there will be a helper because when the HP hits 0 and, in Simul only, if the KO'd fighter still has a partner, the port will have this:
This is MachGaogamon's KO'd port:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

All fighters will disappear from the battlefield when KO'd after being in their Liedead states for a short time. Also, those numbers where Bison struck MachGaogamon is the damage counter. You will see how much damage the move inflicts on the character, like in RPGs. There will also be explods in the game like ASSIST OK, FIRST ATTACK, DANGER, DOWN, CHANGE, etc.

The powerbars below will also be a helper and all fighters will have only 1 super bar so use the super move wisely and the bar flashes when it's full as you can see Bison's super bar. Many specials are mostly a more damaging variation of one of their attacks. I don't have spriting expertise... I'm only using whatever's available on the spritesheet.

EDIT: There will NOT be powerbars coded in the fighters due to MUGEN's poor handling of explods for some dumb reason... so instead, when a fighter is ready to use their Super, they'll glow white.

EDIT 1/22/2018
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3dt7dpst6vjygmm/Digimon%20Tag%20Arena-%20Test%20Build.zip

Managed to upload what I have for this project. It uses the default screenpack on OpenGL. WORKS IN MUGEN 1.1 ONLY!!!
As this uses the default screenpack, this is treated as a beta release.

Fighters available: 23. Guest fighter, M. Bison from Street Fighter, included.

The Final Battle differs on what you picked. Single pits you against Chronomon Destroyer Mode while Simul pits you against 2 Shin Bisons.
While in the fight against Shin Bison, you'll gradually recover HP until it's knocked to only 1 as that fight supposed to show the fighter's "determination" to stop Bison once and for all. Also, in that final battle, if you're playing as Bison, you'll be playing in his Shin form as well.
It has the stages included from my Vs Style Debuts project.

Difficulty is set to 8 and the motif is set to enable guarding. To disable it and enable dodging, comment out the motif in mugen.cfg and uncomment the other.
Language set to "en" (English). Changing it to "ja" (Japanese) will change the name of some fighters such as Bison to Vega, Lobomon to Wolfmon, MetalKabuterimon to Bolgmon etc.
This game has a Critical Hit system, where all attacks have a 10% chance of inflicting 33% more damage if the attack is a critical hit. Be careful NOT to get hit by a critical!

This game will slowly increase in the number of additional fighters in the future.
Credits:
-All the various creators of the Digimon spritesheets on deviantArt.
-Grim from Sprite Database for the M. Bison sprites
-John2k4 from Spriters Resource for the Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo Misc. sprites
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:11:46 am by DarkWolf13
Re: [WIP] Digimon Tag Arena
#2  August 08, 2016, 12:36:26 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Well, I like ideas like this. I loved playing DuckSS's chibi fighters. I for one am loving this and with your coding skills, it will sure be a hit.
#3  August 08, 2016, 11:41:04 am
Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:40:43 am by Sin-
#4  August 08, 2016, 07:58:16 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yes we get it, you don't like the idea. Let's just agree to disagree, leave it there and just go with the flow. In the end, it's up to DarkWolf if he wants to go ahead with the project.
#5  August 08, 2016, 08:15:56 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
As a fan of Digimon, I like this idea a lot, and I say go for it. But my only gripe is, why M.Bison as a boss? Wouldn't it be better for a Digimon villain to fill in those two roles? I mean, seeing M.Bison in a Digimon game would come off as completely strange, but that's just me.

I do hope you decide to go for it, it really sounds like it has potential! :)
This is a generic forum signature.
#6  August 08, 2016, 08:43:52 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
It does seem strange to have him in the game. I know having guest characters are the norm but it would make sense to have a Pokemon character instead. Saying if there is any pocket sprites for any of them. But it's your game and your ideas, and you got to do this for you and anyone else having fun is extra.
#7  August 08, 2016, 09:51:27 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#8  August 08, 2016, 10:28:00 pm
I wonder who that guy is... ::) ::)
As soon as possible? You need them? Why is that? Does the world end if he doesn't release them?
Who are you to dictate what people can or can't do?
Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:23:29 am by Sin-
#9  August 10, 2016, 12:49:55 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Why M. Bison as a boss? Well, like GarchompMatt said, he's my favorite villain and is the only guest character of the game. Not to fret, Bison will have a Digimon partner of his own who'll be also a final boss if one was to play Single Mode/Arcade. I got the portrait and gauge thing to appear the way I wanted it but I'm having trouble making the yellow/red bar shrink as damage is taken.

Also... about M. Bison... I intend to have a Shin version that'll be the True Final Boss but only if you play as Bison himself. Just need to figure out a code how to make Shin Bison unplayable. For now, I'm focused on fixing the lifebar issue to I can experiment the powerbar next.
Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:55:34 am by DarkWolf13
#10  August 10, 2016, 12:56:09 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Bison and a partner villain Digimon sounds like a gorgeous idea. Man, if there were sprites for Piedmon or Myotismon, the pair up would be soo perfect.

Do whatever you want man, I'm absolutely in love with this idea, you have a day one downloader in me! :)
This is a generic forum signature.
#11  August 10, 2016, 01:35:16 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Bison and a partner villain Digimon sounds like a gorgeous idea. Man, if there were sprites for Piedmon or Myotismon, the pair up would be soo perfect.

Do whatever you want man, I'm absolutely in love with this idea, you have a day one downloader in me! :)

Me too man, you proven yourself excellent in making characters and edits. I forgot that Bison is your favorite Street Fighter, I just hope you got an awesome story wrote up for his presence in the Digimon world. Some people think that they are obligated to have things in this world, with that kind of thinking there wouldn't be people making things for MUGEN. I just hope that he can learn from this and come back more knowledgeable about his actions.
#12  August 10, 2016, 01:55:11 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I do have an idea in mind for the story. Bison's the one behind the making of the Digimon Tag Tournament in which the main character, MachGaogamon, appear to be interested in. My OC will make a cameo in the story only, as this is the MUGEN universe of course. As for Piedmon and Myotismon, both Digimon have sprites made by Dragonrod.

Here's the planned roster so far... beware... though... you'll see what I mean
Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:59:35 am by DarkWolf13
#13  August 10, 2016, 02:08:28 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Dang, that's a lot of fighters! But I guess since this is chibi, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I had a funny though because me and my cousin finished SFV and my cousin was like "what if Bison got sent to another dimension..." just a goofy thought really. But man, Digimon from all the generations....it sounds big but as long as you feel up for it, GO FOR IT MAN! I also like the idea in general for it's a good run off from the MvC2 conversion project, I bet even that gets tiring after a while. Something fresh, something new!
Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:11:50 am by R565
#14  August 10, 2016, 02:12:10 am
    • USA
is q in the game?
#15  August 10, 2016, 02:22:43 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Q? If you mean Q from Street Fighter 3... no. Bison's the only SF rep.
#16  August 10, 2016, 11:15:34 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
What kind of game control system will Digimon Tag Arena use:

- Super Smash controls with Attack, Smash, Special, Jump, and Block
- Super Gem Fighter controls with Punch, Kick and Special
- A unique control system

Will there be new moves for some of the Digimon characters?
#17  August 11, 2016, 01:38:43 am
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I'm only utilizing whatever moves their spritesheets provided. As for control system... all of them will be able to Jump Evade an attack but once they land they're open for a hit so some moves cannot be evaded but they won't take the full set of damage unless you get really unlucky.
#18  August 11, 2016, 08:12:51 am
Will all Digimon of all generations be in?
I know there's a lot, but some of them you might know.
#19  August 11, 2016, 08:20:12 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Will all Digimon of all generations be in?
I know there's a lot, but some of them you might know.

There's a spoiler in one of his post that got all the digimon that he wants to put in the game.
#20  August 11, 2016, 08:23:04 am