YesNoOk

Last game you stopped playing + 2 lines review. (Read 1004201 times)

Started by Foobs, April 10, 2011, 01:44:39 am
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you stopped playing + 2 lines review.
#661  July 09, 2016, 12:58:33 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
Honestly, Zombies was better in WaW and BO1. They've been trying to make the recent maps more "complex" but it makes it way too easy to get lost and not know where you're supposed to go. At least the earlier maps you knew where everything was after a game or two.

At least it wasn't aliens, right? :P
#662  July 13, 2016, 10:42:35 pm
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com
Shovel Knight (3DS)

So yeah, I found a copy at my local library while I was cancelling an old card that miraculously disappeared and had my grandmother check it out on hers and I am definitely in love with this neat little 8-bit throwback. For the scant few people who aren't familiar with it, the best I can describe it as is something of a mix of Megaman and Ducktales with a pinch of Dark Souls (more specifically, the whole losing your currency upon death aspect). The characters are charming, the music's catchy as hell, and the difficulty is pretty much what you'd expect from a game heavily inspired by the NES era.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)

What with Apocalypse on the way, I thought I'd give the base game a whirl. This is definitely a "real" SMT game, no doubt about it. I mean, I was still in the very first dungeon of the game the last time I played it and I was already getting my ass kicked. But I'm not gonna change the difficulty the next time I get back to it. I wanna have the full unfiltered SMT experience, frustration and all.

Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS)

Okay, Nintendo Treehouse's out-of-touch translation choices aside (Did one of Link's dialogue choices just fucking say "adorbs"? And why is this woman using "le" in a chunk of her lines? Was that a goddamn Doge reference in one of the diaries?), this is a pretty charming game. Mainly played the first two dungeons in single-player mode and as much of a tiny annoyance as it is to play in that mode, it's kinda fun? Might give multiplayer a shot sometime later.
#663  July 18, 2016, 11:36:08 pm
    • USA
Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash: (3DS)

It's been a long time since I've played a Chibi-Robo game (my last experience was with the original Gamecube title) but it really didn't take all that long for this particular entry to charm my socks off. It's a platformer with all the trademarks you'd come to expect from the series (picking up litter, being mindful of how much battery life you have, being friends with various toys) and a cool twist: the titular tiny robot helper can use his plug as a weapon, an item collector, and even a Bionic Commando-esque grappling hook among its many purposes.

Not all that keen on how it handle stage selection, though. Basically, depending on what color UFO you hit at the end of a stage, your given a certain number of spins (bronze=1, silver=2, gold=3) of a wheel that has numbered panels (1 through 5, I think) which represent how many spaces you move on the map of the world you're currently in. You can't freely choose a stage until you've beaten that world.

Aside from that, it's a pretty cute and fun little game.
#664  August 07, 2016, 01:51:54 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
A Metroid 2 Remake

You can tell how much love is put into this game! He mixes Super Metroid and Metroid 2 to give you something old and something new. Of course it plays like M2 so if you played the original and know all the secrets, then you'll be right at home with it. I believe this is a great 30th anniversary present for the fans from a great fan. Nowadays, Nintendo will take down anything related to their IPs so yeah...play this while you can.
#665  August 29, 2016, 01:53:36 am
Deadpool

This game is bad. Clever, well-written, and bad. If they had made non-garbage gameplay I would have really enjoyed this, but alas. 5/10.
#666  September 11, 2016, 08:09:35 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories

Holy fuck I woulda liked this game if the empire site defense mechanic wasn't the most spiteful piece of shit mechanic in, like, ever. This game does kinda seem alright up until you beat the mission that unlocks the ability to build criminal empire sites for the purposes of getting cash and all that. After that it becomes borderline fucking unplayable.

Your sites come under attack almost every 5 seconds and its almost always by the Cholo gang (what the game calls them, not my own words, I apologize) and when you DO get to whatever site is under attack, prepare for a long and drawn out game of "kill enemies, wait for next car, kill enemies, wait for next car, kill enemies, wait for next car, mushroom mushroom, you win." AKA, not fun at all.

But ohohohho, the worse part is the sheer frequency of said attacks! On more than one occasion, I could defend one site but literally have another one fall under attack a second later, and on the other side of the entire state to boot! And you need these sites to get a decent amount of money so you pretty much HAVE to. And no, not even letting a site burn to the ground saves you from constant running about the entire city like a headless chicken. This means you barely have any free time to explore the city or even do story missions. And yes the Cholo gang can constantly come after you even outside of this. And I thought Ma Cipriani's hitmen were bad! (they actually weren't but still.)

For me the last straw was when I was on my way to Umberto's place for his first mission and site somewhere Downtown came under attack. Having constantly driven from one end of the borough to the other defending sites and getting very aggravated very quickly, I decided "Go fuck yourself." and let the damn thing burn to the ground. So I let it get destroyed. Not one fucking femtosecond later, another site comes under attack far from where I currently was! That was when I finally threw the fucking controller down and ragequit the game, as it was being outright unreasonable. The fucking turf wars in San Andreas were never this obnoxious! ROMAN FUCKING BELLIC was never this obnoxious!!

People who bitch about the Friends mechanic in GTAIV have clearly never played VCS and its piece of shit site defense system and can pretty much go fuck a garbage disposal at this point.

Couple that with missions that are not fun in the least and a painfully boring protagonist and you have what is basically the worst game in the series.

Basically, this game is broken unplayable shit. Play a real GTA game like San Andreas. God even GTAIV is better than this!
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#667  October 15, 2016, 09:55:03 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
Pac-Man World 2

Here's a quick question:

HOW DO YOU MESS UP 3D PLATFORMING CAMERA ANGLES THIS BAD? This ruined the experience for me. Not the fun game I watched my brother play as a wee lad.
#668  October 16, 2016, 09:50:44 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
Mother Russia Bleeds: It's boring as fuck, the combat has no depth to it (the most complex shit you can do is time I-frames and like a 1 hit juggle) and it has some really bad design choices which I'll get into in a bit, the game is presented fairly decently, sprites are nice and all but the soundtrack is pretty weak, there's a good track or two but most of it is underwhelming.

Anyway this game features a different HP system from most beat em ups, rather than using food to heal, your character starts off with a syringe with 3 charges that can be consumed to heal a small amount or go into a berserk mode for better fighting potential, sounds good on paper, manage your resources well and plan it out, however it's ruined by how you refill your charges. When you kill an enemy there's a chance the enemy will begin twitching in pain, when this happens you can walk up to an enemy and insert your syringe into the enemy to slowly refill your charges, doing this leaves you vulnerable to enemies and having an enemy land near a bunch of tougher enemies can fuck you over as you're never going to have the chance to refill your syringe properly, also these twitching enemies are timed and it seems the longer you take the less of the charge you can get back.

There's also no good tool to clear enemies off of you (Spin kick from FF for example), which sucks in this game since it loves to throw in a lot of enemies at you which can confuse you as you can get lost in the crowd and not know what's going on, one of the most crucial things you can have in a beat em up, most good beat em ups do, it lets you get control of a situation back and get your bearings, not having this in a game with bad hit detection, slow and weak characters, and a punishing HP mechanic really hurts this game way more than it should.

I wanted to like the game but it's incredibly weak, don't recommend.
Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:56:51 am by Impact Font
#669  October 16, 2016, 01:50:09 pm
  • $-$**Dreaming**$-$
    • South Korea
    • https://blog.naver.com/PostList.naver?blogId=blood72&from=postList&categoryNo=159
Dragon's Crown.
I really "wanted" to be into the game not because I actually paid real.money for it years ago when it first came out, but because i loved muramasa the demon blade on wii and it has many special memories.

But i just couldnt get into it no matter how hard i tried-i got tired of having to click around the screen to find hidden stuff-its really annoying that you need to check every freaking screen with the pointer for hidden stuff all the time.

I would of preferred it to be less dungeon crawl style and more like odinsphere and muramasa gameplay. But i killed first 2 bosses then lost interest.

I liked the amazon the most. She is most fun to play with because of the combos etc
#670  October 16, 2016, 11:14:47 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Saints Row 2

No really.

Everything WAS going fairly well til I got to the Sons of Samedi mission "Burning Down The House" when, after I destroyed the final drug lab and killed the lead technician, after the final cutscene the game froze on the results screen. I wondered if it was my PS3 freezing after playing the game so long or what have you, so I booted up the game again and had to do that whole mission again.

And without fucking fail upon beating it, the fucking thing froze on the results screen AGAIN. No, fucking really. I looked on Google and OF COURSE I either get unrelated shit, mission FAQs that don't mention the freeze, or topics that do but are just useless "ME TOO" shit with no concrete solution except apparently the freeze doesn't happen if you beat the mission without dying. Are you fucking kidding me.

The mission's pretty hard, too! I am very likely to die at least once during it and now I'm being told that I have to beat it without fucking dying or else I'll have to reset my entire console to try again because if I die and retry froma checkpoint it'll just go "HAHA FUCK YOU", flash a trollface and crash on the fucking results screen!

FUCK THAT.

Apparently bugtesting would have killed Volition's entire fucking QA staff or some shit. How could they let THIS slip by?

So yeah, what would have been one of my all time favourites is fucked over by one of the most boneheaded glitches yet and I have to throw it back on the shelf to collect dust til I can jump back in and TRY to get past that fucking mission without dying even once.

Fuck off. If this was actually THQ's fault then I'm glad they fucking folded.
#671  November 28, 2016, 11:29:15 am
Sly 2 HD

Man, they completely changed up the gameplay formula here, didn't they? I really enjoyed Sly 1. It was a linear collectathon that focused on preconstructed acrobatic gameplay sequences, like certain parts of Uncharted in a way. Now the series appears to be bullshit filler open-world crap. I don't know if I'm going to keep playing this, they ripped out everything I liked about the formula and now it's just tedious padded-out baby's first stealth game.
#672  November 28, 2016, 04:10:28 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Got past the glitched SR2 mission, loving it unconditionally once more if a bit wary now. Let's nominate something else.

007 Legends

Okay so Bond has Daniel Craig's face but not Daniel Craig's voice, there's QTEs because I Wanna Be The Resident Evil 4, the gameplay is blatant I Wanna Be The Modern Warfare but with hacking bits maybe put here and there and you can at least choose to have Classic health style so you can't just suck on some nourishing gravel but it still feels shallow as hell. Oh and when you die, UNLIKE in COD games where it immediately plops you back into the action on a checkpoint a few seconds away  after a pithy war quote, 007 Legends makes you wait through a stupid long loading screen and the checkpoint it punts you back to is always a long ways away. Was it my punishment for choosing Classic health style?

Oh and it missed out on a chance to use the classic actual Goldfinger theme and of all the fucking Bond Movies they chose to use for this ame, why are the Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan eras represented by motherfucking Moonraker and Die Another Day? Why the worst ones of those eras? What, did it make too much sense to use Spy Who Loved Me/For Your Eyes Only and The World Is Not Enough? That's like me doing a Best Of Dragon Ball Z video games...game and just use Legacy of Goku 1, Taiketsu and DBZ Kinect.

God I really hope Goldeneye Reloaded is at least halfway better.
#673  November 28, 2016, 08:39:05 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
I think that game caused Eurocom to fold.
#674  November 30, 2016, 07:50:50 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Yeah I heard that too, poor bastards.

Hell it almost seems to have killed off Bond games in general. I haven't heard shit about a new Bond game based on anything so far, let alone Spectre! Man we went from Goldeneye 007 on N64 and probably 007 Nightfire to this.
#675  December 03, 2016, 06:44:26 pm
  • L.E.O.N here o/
    • Brazil
Five Nights at Freddy's

OMG I can't pass the 4th night!!! :bomb2:  And most the time dying at 5pm. So close but so far...
+ almost dying from heart attack lol

Alien Isolation

I don't know why i had this stupid thought "When the alien is going to appear?" moment because when he appeared i think my soul ran away from my body and came back XD

#676  January 02, 2017, 12:17:28 am
  • Pixel Animator
  • "I'm done trying with you."
    • USA
Let It Die
This Rogue-Like game iswas rather fun! The base management is fun, scavenging is fun and a good reason to return to previous levels, combat gameplay is fun and I pretty liked this system overall! Even the back and forth between player bases is not only enjoyable, but satisfying in the set up! To be honest, I found only two problems that kept me from saying it's perfect and one MASSIVE GLARING ISSUE that's the reason I'm going to stop playing.

Problem 1: Load Times. Already read the update coming, glad it's gonna be fixed, but it's too late. In game, in that tower, everything is fast and fun and keeps me going! In the HUB, ugh... everything has a load time. 20sec-2minute load times just to talk to the store vendor, or upgrading one weapon, or buying one item, or accessing my bank... Every load time, I've been patient, but that has been an atrocious experience.

Problem 2: I learned rather late that I must go online to upgrade my wallet and get more characters than 3 in my arsenal... which is sad because I had deleted several max characters so I could make new ones. About 2 final bosses in (After The handyman and the grenadier) did I realize this and I wish I was told that earlier.

Why I'm stopping: Inconsistency with Hater spawns. For those not playing this game, "Haters" are NPCs generated by the game based on random players in the world (Your friendslist takes priority on this, apparently). Also, Haters can be created when your character dies on a floor and you revisit that same floor on a different character. Killing the "Hater" of your previous character will give you that character back, minus any money, items and experience they had. It's just that character and their stats.

The problem is, levels of the RNG Haters are not toned for your current character level or even game level WHATSOEVER. You can have a level 5 character on one of the first 10 floors and you'll get some god tier waiting for you. Completely randomly. These aren't "Hunters" where a player can send one of their NPCs at you directly to kill you for free loot, they're completely RNG.

In the case I realized I had enough, I began a new character with a LUCK build so it can accumulate money faster.
Gather Round and I shall tell you a tale!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I'mma Let It Die.
Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:54:53 am by Tsunamidusher
#677  January 15, 2017, 03:14:50 am
    • USA
Drakengard (PS2)

Fuck the true final boss. Until I develop the skill to get those patterns dowm, Imma just watch the fifth ending on YouTube and move on to NieR (since the direct sequel apparently sucks ass).
#678  January 19, 2017, 10:13:25 pm
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

I tried to like this game but it was just offensively bland and soulless, and even trying to push myself to play it so I could sell it didn't motivate me to do so. I give up, it's too depressing, especially after how good Dream Team was.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I'm not saying this is a bad game, at all, but it didn't click for me. What I played was overly linear, punishingly hard, and no great weapons or abilities ever seemed to appear. The controls for the dual crush never seemed to work right, either, and I'm not a big fan of the two-character system. This wasn't a bad game, it was just a game that went in a direction that I didn't like. I'd prefer more exploration, fewer enemy gauntlets, more options, etc.

Giving up on it, but I'll give Order of Ecclesia a shot soon.
#679  January 20, 2017, 07:23:31 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Yanno if you thought POR was apparently hard then have fun on Order of Ecclesia then :3

Just buy Ice Needles for Charlotte and let her clear some of the nastier enemies out. Then get Jonathan's Shuriken subweapon and you'll sail through the first half of the game til its time to start thinking. Yeh its not Symphony of the Night (BREAK THE GAME IN 20 SECONDS WITH THE ALUCARD GLITCH) but its not CV3 either,
#680  February 13, 2017, 04:34:37 am
    • USA
Shadow Hearts: Covenant

The battle system in these games is really satisfying and it is very refreshing to have another RPG series out there with a more original enemy variety than your run of the mill slimes, snakes and wolves, but by the time I hit disc 2, I was pretty burnt out. I also found the soundtrack to be a little less engaging than the previous series entry.