YesNoOk

Favourite games of 2016? (Read 5336 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, December 19, 2016, 10:05:34 pm
Share this topic:
Favourite games of 2016?
#1  December 19, 2016, 10:05:34 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
What are your favourite games that were released this year and which games did you play the most and what were some disappointing games for you released this year?

In my case, the top 5 released this year are

Grim Dawn, an action rpg by the creators of Titanquest. It was funded through kickstarter with a budget of around 500k dollars and quite a big game that can be as much fun as Diablo 3 or Path of Exile.

Stardew Valley, totally inspired by Harvest Moon, created by one guy alone. It features love 16bit like graphics and is just lovely through and through. One of the first indie games I played for more than a few hours.

The King of Fighter's XIV. One of the best fighting games released in the last years.

Doom - first time I beat an fps since Serious Sam 3. 'nuff said.

Runner up would be GGXrd Revelator but that was just an update and not a completely new game. Also the Metroid 2 Fan Remake, AM2R.

My most played games this year were Stardew Valley, Mortal Kombat X, Borderlands 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Train Valley and Path of Exile that got some amazing new content.

Disappointing for me this year were Street Fighter V and No Man's Sky.

I still plan to buy BlazBlue Central Fiction, World of Final Fantasy, Uncharted 4 and X-Com 2.
Re: Favourite games of 2016?
#2  December 19, 2016, 10:37:37 pm
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Overwatch - I just fucking love this game, it never gets boring to me no matter how much I play it. It's indescribable to me how much fun it is, I don't think I've had this much fun with in quite some time.

Street Fighter V - gameplay is great, nice roster, good balance when it comes to SF balance, and mechanics which makes all characters feel unique. To me it's my favorite SF game, up there with 3S and Alpha 3.

Cave Story+ - I don't think it came out this year, but I bought it this year anyway. Game is so good with how the plot and gameplay are executed, also the graphics are pretty charming along with the music which is pretty good.

AVGN ASSimilation - Still have to beat it, but it's a pretty fun side scroller. A lot of things are improved from the first game like new weapons, stages are done better imo as well. Really fun game.
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#3  December 19, 2016, 10:41:32 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
SFV
Start watching the pro tour and SFV was pretty much my game of 2016
It might not be the best game of the year but it was definitly my favorite
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#4  December 19, 2016, 11:24:10 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Favourite:
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
World of Final Fantasy (easily my game of the year)
Dragon Quest 7
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Final Fantasy XV

Disappointing:
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
#5  December 19, 2016, 11:40:15 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Hm, there wasn't anything extraordinary this year that would be added to any list of favorite games of any genre, but there were plenty that were enjoyable and memorable.  Doom, Twilight Princess HD, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, ReCore, Pokemon Sun/Moon and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 come to mind.

I'd have to give it to Doom out of those, they all have great moments but the rest have some disappointing stuff as well.  Doom's pretty awesome throughout, though I didn't touch its online multiplayer.  But I wasn't interested in it to begin with so no harm no foul.

I'll probably be required to add FF XV and World of Final Fantasy when I get a PS4 and try out my copies of them, but I suspect beforehand that I'll probably enjoy them greatly.
#6  December 20, 2016, 12:06:13 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
There wasn't a ton of stuff that I really got into this year, but there were still a lot of good ones.  Overwatch being the most obvious one, but the 3DS had a solid year with Pokemon Moon, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and Kirby:  Planet Robobot.  Pokken Tournament was another standout title this year, too.

On the indie side of things, Pony Island provided me with one of the most interesting and fascinating gaming experiences I've had in recent memory.
#7  December 20, 2016, 12:39:25 am
dont people usually wait until the year is over to make these things
#8  December 20, 2016, 12:48:03 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
dont people usually wait until the year is over to make these things

No need in this case because there's only one right answer, and GotY winner as soon as it came out: Wolf Girl With You.
#9  December 20, 2016, 12:52:49 am
the real goty Shantae: ½ Genie Hero isn't even out yet
#10  December 20, 2016, 12:54:17 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
year was shit (personal etc.. reasons, not related to games) so I did not even get to play any games.

the real goty Shantae: ½ Genie Hero isn't even out yet

it is for backers you filthy peasant.
#11  December 20, 2016, 01:04:49 am
    • USA
But guys, what about Mighty No. 9?  :llama:
#12  December 20, 2016, 01:48:13 am
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
Worms W.M.D
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#13  December 21, 2016, 12:02:27 am
The Witness is my GOTY, hands down.
#14  December 21, 2016, 10:52:34 pm
  • IPPEN SHINDE KOI!
  • TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!
    • Canada
    • keg2810@hotmail.com
    • biggreenmugen.weebly.com/
There wasn't a ton of stuff that I really got into this year, but there were still a lot of good ones.  Overwatch being the most obvious one, but the 3DS had a solid year with Pokemon Moon, Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and Kirby:  Planet Robobot.

This. I'm most likely getting Pokemon and Overwatch for christmas, so I don't know too much of what to expect. Kirby was amazing. It was enough to spark more interest in the series for me.
#15  December 22, 2016, 07:18:03 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
WOLF GIRL WITH YOU IS GETTING DLC

AND I THOUGHT THE GAME COULDN'T GET ANY BETTER HOLY SHIT
#16  February 13, 2017, 05:31:47 am
    • USA
Didn't find a whole lot to enjoy last year, to be honest, but "Hyrule Warriors Legends" and "Pokemon Sun" kept me happy.
#17  February 17, 2017, 03:20:05 am
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com
Only games I've played that were released in 2016 were Doom and Let It Die, and they were both amazing.