YesNoOk

Taylor Swift (Read 8753 times)

Started by StirLynch17, January 07, 2017, 11:53:10 pm
Share this topic:
Taylor Swift
#1  January 07, 2017, 11:53:10 pm
    • Argentina
I started this project because I wanted to make my first mugen character and I wanted it to be something special, someone that hasn't been created before, I heard that my sister was listening to Taylor Swift so I decided to make her lol
I "ripped" the sprites from a live show, I have many screencaps to rip but at the moment I only ripped a few, and also made some of my own in photoshop
I'm posting this in the sprite section because I tried to make the character and I had a lot of trouble (trouble, trouble) with the palettes and I can't seem to figure it out yet.

Standing

Walking

Blocking

Jumping (This one looks really bad, but it's the best I can do)
Re: Taylor Swift
#2  January 07, 2017, 11:58:00 pm
I wish you good luck on this character
#3  January 07, 2017, 11:59:33 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Good idea, go for it.
#4  January 08, 2017, 12:18:16 am
  • More blood and gore please.
    • USA
    • johncrystal00@embarqmail.com
Hilarious. Her level 3 Hyper should be completely selling out. LOL

Good luck man.
#5  January 08, 2017, 12:30:56 am
  • Not for sale
Unique choice, to be sure.
Palettes for this seem like it'll be a nightmare.
#6  January 08, 2017, 12:51:51 am
    • Argentina
I wish you good luck on this character

Good idea, go for it.

Hilarious. Her level 3 Hyper should be completely selling out. LOL

Good luck man.

lmao

Unique choice, to be sure.
Palettes for this seem like it'll be a nightmare.

Yep, the main problem are a palettes, if there is anyone willing to help me with that it would be awesome, it's the only thing I need help with, I think I can somehow do the rest by myself
#7  January 08, 2017, 12:59:56 am
  • Not for sale
Yep, the main problem are a palettes, if there is anyone willing to help me with that it would be awesome, it's the only thing I need help with, I think I can somehow do the rest by myself

I'm not too knowledgeable regarding this, but since you're ripping "sprites" from video, your bound to get a flurry of unsynced colors and shades. I'm not sure if there's a program that can use some algorithm to recolor the sprite with a limited palette... but that would be the only solution I could think of.
#8  January 09, 2017, 04:37:42 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Oh my god - this is wonderful and hilarious!

Keep it up!

Well, it probably would have been better to figure your palette out before making additional sprites.  Unless, you have not indexed them already... in which case, you are in good shape.  But if those ARE indexed, then you will have color loss when making one unified palette.

Anyway, here's what I recommend: find the planned images that would have the most contrast / shading.  If she's ever holding something other than the microphone, consider this.
Put all of those sprites / images on one canvas, with a bright green background.  I see that the lighting affects her clothing... what you should do is make a decent selection and use a Hue/Saturation filter (and/or other filters) to try and make the shades match better (you should continue doing that for all sprites moving forward).

Spoiler: Example of a hue/saturation filter on the clothing (click to see content)

So, with a good sampling of "sprites" (not yet indexed) on one canvas, you should now index it with Perceptual (256).  Be sure to "Force" the green background color in color slot #1.

After it has been converted to indexed colors, go to the Color Table and save the palette as an .ACT file.   For all sprites moving forward, you should convert to indexed colors as "Custom" using this .ACT file.  You will achieve the best results by first trying to apply filters or whatever to make the clothing / skin / hair look about the same... BEFORE indexing.

That's a great walk anim, but I'm not a fan of the others.  For the stand, maybe you should focus on the lower half - finding screenshots where maybe she hops a little bit, or can be made to look that way - and then the same for the top/  Splice 'em together.  More animated movement = more awesome.  For the jump, you should make her knees bend way more like she's kicking her own ass

Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:50:29 am by altoiddealer
#9  January 09, 2017, 09:24:35 am
    • Argentina
Oh my god - this is wonderful and hilarious!

Keep it up!

Well, it probably would have been better to figure your palette out before making additional sprites.  Unless, you have not indexed them already... in which case, you are in good shape.  But if those ARE indexed, then you will have color loss when making one unified palette.

Anyway, here's what I recommend: find the planned images that would have the most contrast / shading.  If she's ever holding something other than the microphone, consider this.
Put all of those sprites / images on one canvas, with a bright green background.  I see that the lighting affects her clothing... what you should do is make a decent selection and use a Hue/Saturation filter (and/or other filters) to try and make the shades match better (you should continue doing that for all sprites moving forward).

Spoiler: Example of a hue/saturation filter on the clothing (click to see content)

So, with a good sampling of "sprites" (not yet indexed) on one canvas, you should now index it with Perceptual (256).  Be sure to "Force" the green background color in color slot #1.

After it has been converted to indexed colors, go to the Color Table and save the palette as an .ACT file.   For all sprites moving forward, you should convert to indexed colors as "Custom" using this .ACT file.  You will achieve the best results by first trying to apply filters or whatever to make the clothing / skin / hair look about the same... BEFORE indexing.

That's a great walk anim, but I'm not a fan of the others.  For the stand, maybe you should focus on the lower half - finding screenshots where maybe she hops a little bit, or can be made to look that way - and then the same for the top/  Splice 'em together.  More animated movement = more awesome.  For the jump, you should make her knees bend way more like she's kicking her own ass

Thanks a lot! You just saved this project, I have not indexed the sprites yet, I'll follow your steps as soon as I get on my pc tomorrow, I'll be posting updates on the sprites here, also thanks for the tips I'll try to follow them as well :D
#10  January 10, 2017, 10:32:44 am
LOL,  i had a very similar idea in mind...  I put together  spritesheet a while back on that, but its not TaylorSwift.  And yours look pretty good;  loving that Walk animation, and JUMP looks,... heh. Did you stitch together some legs on that one? Also good job cleaning the walk animations, looks great

@altoiddealer:
the other animations are going to be trouble simply because TaylorSwift probably isn't seen in those side-view angles, so he has to frankensprite it the best to his abilities. You might just have to look at another performance and hope she wears the same outfits and also HOPE to see it in side view.
#11  January 10, 2017, 03:12:57 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
@altoiddealer:
the other animations are going to be trouble simply because TaylorSwift probably isn't seen in those side-view angles, so he has to frankensprite it the best to his abilities. You might just have to look at another performance and hope she wears the same outfits and also HOPE to see it in side view.

If she has enough skin showing in said footage, maybe the outfit could be replaced by pasting in bits, doing some duplicating/reflecting, and some "Content Aware" filling.

#12  January 10, 2017, 03:16:47 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
this is interesting.....lol. kanye should be a win quote!! lol
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#13  January 10, 2017, 06:53:33 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Nice idea. Will keep an eye on that.