YesNoOk

T_N's long and rocky road (Read 197161 times)

Started by The_None, November 15, 2015, 02:25:36 pm
Re: T_N's long and rocky road
#61  January 06, 2017, 03:40:39 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends/

Kept stumbling upon tough to shade sprites so I went ahead did a full gif of the rising double (minus the landing). The speed of the gif is intentionaly slow for you convienience so you'd have an easier time spotting the incostistencies (if there are any)
#62  January 06, 2017, 04:53:43 pm
during the last frame when his leg is in the air the bent leg has a line that does not look right if that's supposed to be a fold because the rest of the frames don't have that until the last frame when his leg is in the air before it comes down.
#63  January 06, 2017, 10:34:25 pm

I'm not sure should the blob of light around his crotch even has to be here, but.....
#64  January 07, 2017, 01:18:22 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Unless you want to convey an erection, the light blob on the crotch can be left out ;)
#65  January 08, 2017, 12:47:37 am

I'd guess I'll consider making a thread in the projects board soon considering how far I've progressed with this character

I think I overdid it with this "make things shaded darker when facing away from the 'front'" thing
Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:05:02 pm by The_None
#66  January 15, 2017, 07:51:11 pm
Bump due to lack of replies

I especially have no clue how to shade that sword
#67  January 15, 2017, 08:04:08 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
A year ago, I worked on a CPS3 rendition of Seijuro Hiko from Rurouni Kenshin for Dan Mt, and an animation of Cloud Strife in the CPS3 style for Zemilia. My reference for the swords was Leo's amazingly well-sprited blade. From what I memorized from it, I did this to your sword (second frame):

Made the blade sharper as well, and added a new color on the top part, and changed some outlines here and there. I'm actually not sure if the blade wasn't meant to look like how it did in the first frame, so if it isn't, feel free to ignore the sharpening.

I'd say more things about it, but I'm not really sure what to tell you. The way the lighting was handled on Dink doesn't give an OOMPH feeling to me (sorry if this offends, its not the intention), and I'm not sure if you are willing to go back and rework it all; I don't blame you for that either, because sprite projects are hard shit m8. Maybe I can give a shot at giving an easier way to handle the lighting on him for a future reference if you want to go back and possibly rework the frames later on?

The biggest plus of all the sprites you made are the animation IMHO. They look so well done, lighting problems aside. :2thumbsup:
This is a generic forum signature.
Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:07:45 pm by Hunnid % Cotton Hatter
#68  January 19, 2017, 11:11:35 pm
I had a feeling I could do shading much better in some places - especially the face - that would be something I wish I'd been told about around 6 weeks ago when I started shading the spriteset so far to begin with (or even as soon as in the very first post of this thread given I already had a single sprite shaded, even if the shading is mostly based on Balthazar's sprite) so I'd guess for now I should just worry about getting the lightsource right and perhaps try better by the time I'd get around starting another originaly sprited character, if I'd still feel like it (and that's a very big IF)

For now though:

(When he's facing left he'd be actually facing left ingame, which would explain the lightsource temporarily slightly shifting to the left there)

Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:22:55 pm by The_None
#69  January 24, 2017, 09:23:37 pm
Topic bump and man shading aerial gethits is especially hard
Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:05:29 pm by The_None
#70  February 05, 2017, 12:39:27 am
The good news is that I've roughly shaded almost anything I did frame-wise at around a week ago.
The bad news is that I still have to actually do a few more animations before I'd declare Dink to be release-worthy, like a Mortal Kombat-inspired dizzy animation whose rough cut you'll see below.

I'd guess I shall fire up one of these 3d posers again for reference, it could  as well be just my self-esteem speaking tho'

Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:28:58 pm by The_None
#71  February 21, 2017, 09:53:48 pm
I'm still alive so is this project, it's just that I'm waiting for one guy to supply me with effects but as it looks like the person in question would be very busy in a foreseeable future I'd guess I'll try making effects by myself. Keep in mind tho' that even after first releasing the character I'll still be working on the character, including spritewise (to do the second movelist I mentioned later in the topic) so he would still have a chance to get his future work utilized into the character in an update. And besides there are still a few animations I'd like to do before I call it ready. On the subject of those.....

I have absolutely no idea what am I doing with the shading there.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:10:43 pm by The_None
#72  March 05, 2017, 07:19:44 pm
Those who remember the old Most_Mysterious incarnation of Dink smallwood, remember that part in his stance when he pulled something out of nowhere and smoked it?

Well this is about to return

Wish it didn't take me two weeks of mostly procastination to do this, but that's me these days I'd guess.....
#73  March 06, 2017, 04:06:13 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
That's a huge improvement! keep it up man, I love seeing these.
#74  March 13, 2017, 01:47:42 am
  • What is life without tacos?
    • USA
    • catanesetyler@gmail.com
I'm loving that stance, it's definitely a major improvement compared to the first one. Awesome work man, can't wait to see him in action.
#75  March 13, 2017, 05:58:47 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Those who remember the old Most_Mysterious incarnation of Dink smallwood, remember that part in his stance when he pulled something out of nowhere and smoked it?

Well this is about to return

Wish it didn't take me two weeks of mostly procastination to do this, but that's me these days I'd guess.....
Does that splif he's blazing give him any extra abilities lol like time
Slows down or something?
#76  March 13, 2017, 11:45:37 pm
Does that splif he's blazing give him any extra abilities lol like time
Slows down or something?
As much as he's acquainted with various sorts of magic, this is just a randomized part of his idle animation. Maybe.

Took me too long for my personal taste to finish this animation considering I started it around like a month ago. I'd guess I'll focus on doing non-sprite animated stuff (like attempting to do few effects where recycling from the old M_M version wouldn't suffice), I think sprite/animation-wise I have done almost enough work (including some bits I haven't posted into that thread) for at least "part 1" of the project.
#77  March 14, 2017, 12:44:51 am
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
Nice to see Dink being remade.
Will other M_M characters resurface?
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#78  March 18, 2017, 06:34:20 pm
Will other M_M characters resurface?
Well I did on at least one point consider re-doing Fiunn (in fact sometimes working on Dink felt so daunting part of me wanted to go doing Fiunn instead, given the scope) and around 7 years ago I had a shot of respriting Franko that didn't go beyond a single sprite, which it went out like this:
Given the plans I have for 2017 and later tho' (including at around one/two more original sprited characters, as well as doing the second movelist for Dink) and how long I've been doing Mugen content in general (to the point I'm not sure would I still keep up with doing Mugen content for how long given my desire to move onto other things) though I'm not sure if remakes of other M_M characters would happen, maybe it's just me and my uncertainy tho'. We'll see if my foreseeable future would allow it.

Some days I get a bit of a dillemma on whenever shall I do few more animations or should I work on effects and/or finishing stuff coding-wise, but yesterday and today I went ahead and added a third part to that rekka sequence.
Still hoping I can get the character (well, one planned half of him) ready at around the end of march, but a lot of times as of lately I wasn't able to stick with my dates so I'd guess I'll stay silent on when the public 'beta' can be expected.
#79  March 18, 2017, 06:53:34 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Hey man, that rekka is looking good now, it really seems you're improving animation-wise!
#80  March 21, 2017, 10:40:40 pm

An attempt for special effects that took me around like three different times and by the way it's totally happening.