YesNoOk

Doctor Who Thread (Read 563577 times)

Started by Nucka, January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
Share this topic:
Re: Doctor Who Thread
#361  November 16, 2016, 05:07:41 pm
GDI :( we got several years of Matt Smith but they're shutting down Cappaldi so fast ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#362  November 28, 2016, 01:21:53 am
I completely forgot that the spin-off Class had already started several weeks ago.
I only checked the first episode just now, it doesn't start too well (it just reads like an average fanfiction where you're shoved in the middle of some random big story without getting eased in, with a prince and a lonely girl and a hot head and gay guys and plenty of non-white main cast), but once the Doctor makes his cameos (he's better than the rest of the cast of course), it falls in place and the characters turn out to be actually quite okay. The explanation ("this is the smart person, this is the leader, this is the brawler") is too in-your-face but it's effective. Also it's a LOT bloodier than DW, and it works well. Once the Doctor has explained everything (including what this series is), it makes sense.
I'll watch the other episodes tomorrow, but it seems okay for now.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#363  December 29, 2016, 04:03:45 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
So how about that christmas Special, eh?  Continuing the grand Who tradition of having virtually nothing to do with Christmas.  Say what you will about Matt Smith's run, at least his Christmas specials actually were Christmas themed.

But on the whole I enjoyed it.  The superhero bit felt a little bit contrived and was more or less incidental to the actual plot of the episode, which is a shame considering how hard it was advertised.  But it was really well written for what was there.  I really loved how Ghost's dialogue sounded exactly like a dorky comic nerd trying way too hard to talk like a superhero, because that is literally what he was.

Also they capped it off with a trailer for Series 10:

Seeing a lot of Nardole in there.  I think he might be sticking around as a permanent companion.
#364  January 31, 2017, 02:51:56 am
    • USA
#365  February 20, 2017, 09:28:23 pm
  • Alguma coisa ae...
  • E mais uma coisa
    • Brazil
Capaldi will be missed, he was diferent form the previous Doctors, more serious and even pragmatical. Let's just hope the next Doctor will be just as good, or even better. I like the older Doctors, they feel more true to the character, although Tennant was brilliant. As for Matt Smith, I think he was too childish, it only improved in latest seasons.
#366  February 22, 2017, 02:28:06 am
From a couple weeks ago but it wasn't posted here and it's really good news

Looks like Missy's in season 10 (and she even mentions coming out of the TARDIS so she'll stick close to the Doctor).
Oh, and Mark Gatiss advertised the return of the Ice Warrior (a new kind) but who cares about the Ice Warrior.
#367  February 25, 2017, 05:06:32 pm
    • USA

Series premiere is set for April 15th.  Get excited.
#368  February 25, 2017, 05:16:14 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Well, time to go out with a bang Mr. Capaldi. Loved how he brought back Who's classic charm, nothing wrong with the other seasons but they missed some of that old school charm. I can't wait for April to come.
#369  March 07, 2017, 03:11:07 am
    • USA
A classic villain was just confirmed to be returning in series 10.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#370  March 07, 2017, 03:23:08 am
#371  March 07, 2017, 04:00:44 am
    • USA
Oh really?  Must have missed that news, never mind then.  That article kept playing it up like this was going to be his big swan song, so I guess I was just reading into it.
#372  March 14, 2017, 03:57:52 pm
Trailer

Still best Doctor.
#373  April 06, 2017, 06:14:54 pm
    • USA
Spoiler: Series 10 casting news (click to see content)
#374  April 06, 2017, 06:18:20 pm
God damn. Those two at the same time ? That's gonna be brutal, if he's still in the same state as before.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#375  April 11, 2017, 10:54:16 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com

hear from moffat
#376  April 14, 2017, 08:43:21 pm
Random teaser

Very low key and straight forward, but really good !
Also, you know how some sites were confused if Capaldi said his death was in season 10 itself or in the Christmas episode ? He's obviously not revealing it but apparently he's already shot his death scene... But they haven't started the Christmas special yet, and he's in it. I just hope it's not a lame trick like Matt Smith doing a surprise guest star at the end of episode 1 of Capaldi's run (not that that scene was bad but I expect Capaldi to be the Doctor in the Christmas special).

---

First ep is out, pretty much an introduction episode, nothing over the top - a season that doesn't start by telling you the universe is going to blow up before the end. I don't hate Bill already which is nice, and Nardol was good. Also, more music than usual ? That was a bit strange. And the post episode full season teaser apparently includes the regeneration.
Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:46:34 am by Byakko
#377  April 19, 2017, 11:18:34 pm
    • USA
Who's in the mood for wild and unsubstantiated rumors? The Mirror is claiming that David Bradley will be appearing in the Series 10 Christmas special as the First Doctor, reprising(?) his role from An Adventure in Space and Time.

Now, the Mirror is a known trashy tabloid rag with zero credibility, but it's still a really cool idea.  That'd be kind of amazing if it actually did happen.
#378  April 20, 2017, 12:47:41 am
I've seen that rumor a few weeks ago, except it was tied to the Mondasian Cybermen and what's in the vault, something about a split in the timeline, where the First Doctor stayed with the Mondasians, or something like that.

----

Spoiler: ep 2 (click to see content)

----

Spoiler: ep 4 (click to see content)

edit - holy shit, he looked familiar but I didn't realize it was David Suchet. Awesome.
Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:33:48 pm by Byakko
#379  June 04, 2017, 06:19:53 pm
Hahaha regeneration fakeout what an asshole. But is that the regeneration Capaldi said he already shot... ?
Missy's trying to "go good" (even if in her own way) ? Then the meeting with the John Simm Master could actually pit them against each other, which would be insane (but it probably won't)
The bit about the link being passed through generations might be awkward with Bill being gay and being less likely to having kids of her own, they didn't even mention that...
"Fake news central" even the Doctor is taking jabs at Trump now WTF.

---

Eaters of Light
Hahaha wow, actual history and myth, that's refreshing, and it's from a pretty good bit. A twist on the "king sleeping under the hill" trope (Fionn mac Cumhaill's version even requires blowing his horn to call forth his buddies) and Samhain (the Irish Halloween with an evil fairy coming out of a mound to burn the land once a year) for some pure Doctor Who craziness, that was seriously good.

OH SHIT, John Simm's already back next week with the Mondasians ?? That's early.
Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:28:47 am by Byakko
#380  June 25, 2017, 03:08:23 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
This episode was amazing.
Definitely a crowning jewel in (what i think was) a mediocre season.

Spoiler: In Depth Feelings (click to see content)