YesNoOk

Marvel Universe discussion (no filthy muties allowed) (Read 379020 times)

Started by Gate, June 16, 2011, 04:33:46 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Marvel Universe discussion (no filthy muties allowed)
#1601  April 10, 2017, 05:36:04 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
That Cap stuff is stupid as fuck, but I'm honestly more pissed about the fact that they're cancelling Great Lakes Avengers after only 7 issues.
#1602  April 10, 2017, 05:46:09 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
This just proves Marvel is nothing but a shade of what it once was. In fact, this image sums it up for us:
via Imgflip Meme Generator
Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:08:31 am by Uche_of_MFG
#1603  April 12, 2017, 04:53:42 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
So a rumor is circulating around about that absolute shitheap nazi cap storyline.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Cap's creators are rolling in their graves right now.
It's hard to see, when this Cap is inevitably restored to normal, how this won't implicitly hang around Steve Rogers in every single story that follows.

I'm sad that Power Man and Iron Fist (the really fun book they launched last year that treated the characters as comic book Riggs and Murtaugh which is absolutely how they should be treated) is going away, but if the new Luke Cage series replacing it is done with as much love as this one I'll be on board. Well, at least until the next relaunch.
I fucking loved the Power Man and Iron Fist ongoing, and am really looking forward to more Luke Cage as written David Walker.
#1604  April 12, 2017, 09:31:19 am
Captain Hydra
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:39:37 am by Byakko
#1605  April 25, 2017, 02:53:52 pm
been reading superior spider man, good story but the inconsistency in character design is confusing me ,  is anna a dwarf? or just small? in some pages she looks normal but just small and in others she has a features of having dwarfism.
#1606  April 26, 2017, 12:14:29 am
    • USA
Fishing for a recommendation here if I can find one:  Are there any Captain Marvel books out there that actually make her seem like a good person?

I've been catching up on a ton of comics during my downtime at work lately and I just got through the Civil War 2 event, which left me with pretty strong dislike of the character.  Throughout that entire series Carol Danvers is presented as a morally bankrupt, self-righteous, authoritarian tyrant, and every tie-in book I read continues to reinforces that image (even Ms. Marvel, and I figured if any book would show her in positive light it'd be that one).  That feeling is so strong that I'm honestly starting to think it might actually be confirmation bias on my part.  So I was wondering if there's something should be reading that presents her as something less than a Judge Dredd level fascist, to balance things out.
Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:19:19 am by Person Man
#1607  April 26, 2017, 12:20:00 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Fishing for a recommendation here if I can find one:  Are there any Captain Marvel books out there that actually make her seem like a good person?

I've been catching up on a ton of comics during my downtime at work lately and I just got through the Civil War 2 event, which left me with pretty strong dislike of the character.  Throughout that entire series Carol Danvers is presented as a morally bankrupt, self-righteous, authoritarian tyrant, and every tie-in book I read continues to reinforces that image (even Ms. Marvel, and I figured if any book would show her in positive light it'd be that one).  That feeling is so strong that I'm honestly starting to thing it might actually be confirmation bias on my part.  So I was wondering if there's something should be reading that presents her as something less than a Judge Dredd level fascist, to balance things out.
Lol no, shes basically female trump, even the hairdo.
Most of her books have her being self absorbed as fuck. If you want her to look anywhere okay you could read her old ms marvel arcs, in those she had a semblance of a personality.

Most of the times where she was presented as "heroic" she was being so shitty in world that only someone that already thought of her as being cool would think she was alright. 
It was almost character assassination. It doesnt help that she had to "lose her memory" to become this captain marvel that the public in the marvel universe loves.
#1608  April 26, 2017, 12:51:54 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Read Nextwave instead. Has the better Captain Marvel in it.

"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#1609  April 26, 2017, 01:25:29 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
You want to read some good Carol Danvers you gotta go back to that last Ms. Marvel run where she was a fleshed out character

I heard the latest failed run is okay but who knows what that even means with this character
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1610  April 26, 2017, 01:29:48 am
    • USA
So it's not just me then?  She's actually just a super shitty character?  Good to know.
#1611  April 26, 2017, 02:01:01 am
    • USA

I've been catching up on a ton of comics during my downtime at work lately and I just got through the Civil War 2 event, which left me with pretty strong dislike of the character.  Throughout that entire series Carol Danvers is presented as a morally bankrupt, self-righteous, authoritarian tyrant, and every tie-in book I read continues to reinforces that image (even Ms. Marvel, and I figured if any book would show her in positive light it'd be that one).  That feeling is so strong that I'm honestly starting to think it might actually be confirmation bias on my part.  So I was wondering if there's something should be reading that presents her as something less than a Judge Dredd level fascist, to balance things out.
Honestly, those Ms. Marvel tie-ins for Civil War II were one of the only depictions of Captain Marvel in that event that gave her even a slight amount of sympathy and reason, which still isn't saying much (the Ultimates, by Al Ewing and Kenneth Rocafort, was one of the others). There's only so much you can polish a turd, after all. Civil War II was a fucking disaster that has made it very very hard to see her as anything but a villain.

... but it's pretty much the exact same situation Iron Man fell into with the original Civil War. Really really surprisingly similar, because in both cases, Marvel used an event called Civil War and made one of their marquee heroes—who were getting their own movie in a few years—a nigh-irredeemable asshole. And he did way worse shit, he actually got several people killed! It took a literal brain wipe for Iron Man to escape the narrative hole they had dug him into; I have to imagine that at some point, something similar will come for Captain Marvel.

So yeah, it's been a rough time for Captain Marvel. In addition to the event bullshittery, they keep relaunching her comic and changing the creative teams, trying wildly new directions and never slowing down to breath (this is a problem a lot of Marvel books face, though). It's wrecked havoc on the character, and it's very hard to recommend much of anything that she's been in recently. But she is a character who is worth reading about! I would recommend the following:
  • Captain Marvel (2012-2013): this is the big relaunch by Kelly Sue DeConnick that made the character an A-lister, gave her an incredibly devoted fanbase, and is basically the reason the character is getting a movie. It's very good, but Marvel cut it off after only 17 issues because they cannot stop relaunching a single fucking thing, all the time. DeConnick continues on the following volume, but it's noticeably weaker because the momentum has been artificially halted. Still pretty good, though.
  • Ms. Marvel (2006-2010): this was a bit of a cult hit, I'd say. It was never a top seller, but it was able to last long enough to gain a lot of praise. This run definitely cemented Carol Danvers as an important heavyweight in the Marvel pantheon, both in-universe and out. It's very solid.
  • The Ultimates (2015-2016): this isn't actually a solo comic, it features a team led by Captain Marvel. And it fucking rules! It's so goddamn good, I seriously cannot praise it enough. But to keep on topic: this was basically the only book on the stands that tried to make Captain Marvel a sympathetic character during Civil War II, and it almost kinda made it work, somehow; moreover, it was easily the best book Captain Marvel was appearing in during its short existence. This only lasted 12 issues, but it got a sequel series that is currently being published right now, called The Ultimates2, which I also highly recommend.
#1612  April 26, 2017, 02:12:29 am
    • USA
... but it's pretty much the exact same situation Iron Man fell into with the original Civil War. Really really surprisingly similar, because in both cases, Marvel used an event called Civil War and made one of their marquee heroes—who were getting their own movie in a few years—a nigh-irredeemable asshole. And he did way worse shit, he actually got several people killed! It took a literal brain wipe for Iron Man to escape the narrative hole they had dug him into; I have to imagine that at some point, something similar will come for Captain Marvel.

Honestly, I felt like the deaths Carol caused this time around were way worse than what Tony did, because of the utterly selfish reasoning behind it.  After she got Rhodes killed she threw herself into the whole turbo-fascism thing to avoid having to confront the fact that it was 100% her fault he died, which led to Bruce Banner being preemptively murdered for something he didn't do, which made her keep going even harder to avoid that guilt too.  Seriously, Captain Marvel spent the better part of the last year leaving a trail of bodies behind her to distract herself from the trail of bodies she was leaving behind her.

Thanks for recommendations, though.  I'll put it on my list.  I'm probably going to start in on Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye next though, since I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.
#1613  April 26, 2017, 02:20:31 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Jmorph the comic rec MVP.

(But seriously, do read Nextwave though)

#1614  April 26, 2017, 02:25:16 am
    • USA
I am offended by your insinuation that I haven't already committed that book to memory.  Nextwave is a goddamn national treasure.

Which reminds me, I remember hearing that The Captain finally resurfaced with a cameo in a book not too long ago.  Gonna have to track that one down and give it alook.
#1615  April 26, 2017, 02:30:41 am
    • USA
Honestly, I felt like the deaths Carol caused this time around were way worse than what Tony did, because of the utterly selfish reasoning behind it.  After she got Rhodes killed she threw herself into the whole turbo-fascism thing to avoid having to confront the fact that it was 100% her fault he died, which led to Bruce Banner being preemptively murdered for something he didn't do, which made her keep going even harder to avoid that guilt too.  Seriously, Captain Marvel spent the better part of the last year leaving a trail of bodies behind her to distract herself from the trail of bodies she was leaving behind her.

Thanks for recommendations, though.  I'll put it on my list.  I'm probably going to start in on Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye next though, since I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.
I dunno, that kinda makes me feel more sympathetic to Carol? Tony never really allowed himself to feel much remorse for any of the damage he caused, and it was his own arrogance that pushed him to keep escalating the conflict. The best thing the various creative teams working on Tony during that time were able to come up with were that he's one of the smartest people on Earth, a futurist, so obviously his side is right, and everything he did was justified, and even if it turned out badly the alternative would've been worse. And even with all that, it didn't really help his side.

I guess it also helps that Civil War II was so much more small scale than the first one was: it was almost entirely setup for the battle at the end, instead of a long, grueling war; there was no wide-scale arresting of superheroes, nor any secret prisons in the Negative Zone; and nobody made any cyborg deity abominations that got out of control.

also hell yes the Fraction/Aja/Wu run on Hawkeye fucking rules! I hope you aren't a fan of MCU Hawkeye at all because there's a very strong possibility it will make you despise him for not being even 1/10th as great as comic-Hawkeye! (although... MCU Hawkeye still sucks irrespective of the comics, IMO)
#1616  April 26, 2017, 02:43:03 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Fraction's run on Hawkeye must read so much better now, I almost envy you Person Man. I hate that I can't separate my feelings about it from the delays, its the same thing for Whedon's Astonishing.

Oh, and the Captain showed up in Nova's CIvil War II tie in, which I will take as an opportunity to recommend the latest Nova book that's probably cancelled. It's gets what's great about legacy characters almost as good as a DC book does.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:47:16 am by Speedpreacher
#1617  April 26, 2017, 02:57:30 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

I dunno, that kinda makes me feel more sympathetic to Carol? Tony never really allowed himself to feel much remorse for any of the damage he caused, and it was his own arrogance that pushed him to keep escalating the conflict. The best thing the various creative teams working on Tony during that time were able to come up with were that he's one of the smartest people on Earth, a futurist, so obviously his side is right, and everything he did was justified, and even if it turned out badly the alternative would've been worse. And even with all that, it didn't really help his side.

Are Marvel one shot comics part of the 616 continuity?

I remember this one shot (post Civil War) with Tony visiting a grave in the middle of the night then The Stranger popping out of nowhere to give him a vision of an alternate universe where the Civil War ended with Ironman and Capt. America having an agreement with all of the heroes working together. It sure made Tony feel guilty asking why would the Stranger give him visions he'd regret with the last panel of Tony on his knees crying in the rain.

I really regret reading a few of them like Wolverine hitting Emma Frost with Cyclops(still in a relationship) does nothing. You read them in Astonishing Xmen and they're like super friends then read a one shot that makes them go out of character.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#1618  April 26, 2017, 03:02:47 am
    • USA

Eh.  The way it read to me made me feel like Carol knew that what she was doing was wrong and immoral, but kept doing it more and more anyway to avoid having to confront the guilt of having done something that she knew was wrong and immoral.  It was one big circle jerk of self-pity and ex post facto justification.

Also MCU Hawkeye is somehow still a complete nonentity, so I'm on full Beige Alert when it comes to the character.

:EDIT:
You guys.

I have opinions about Hawkeye now.

This was not a state of being I ever expected myself to experience.
Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:04:19 am by Person Man
#1619  May 25, 2017, 02:38:28 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
So Ben Reilly is back as Scarlet Spider... and they turned him into a dick, well done Marvel, that was Kaine's gimmick..
#1620  May 26, 2017, 02:01:01 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Started on the vol 1 of The (semi) New Vision series and goddamn it's good.