YesNoOk

The big "What does MUGEN need fixed or lack" thread 2017 edition (Read 54300 times)

Started by JustNoPoint, May 27, 2017, 01:27:52 am
Share this topic:
Re: The big "What does MUGEN need fixed or lack" thread 2017 edition
#21  May 29, 2017, 08:28:57 pm
An in game training feature that doesn't rely on a single character.
Someone who would be willing to put the changes in mentioned in the thread...(an impossibility I know)
A music selector.

Whole purpose is to keep a big list of what people desire to have (some are really personal-specific that would only benefit them, but some are really good) so I can implement them soon or later.

So this isn't a "wish list". More like a "to do in future" list for me.
#22  May 29, 2017, 09:05:49 pm
In-game transformations would be nice, but the small thing I really want is to be able to put different characters in the same character select slot. As in selecting one character with a normal buttonpress and an entirely different character by holding start and pressing something.
#23  May 29, 2017, 09:14:33 pm
In-game transformations would be nice, but the small thing I really want is to be able to put different characters in the same character select slot. As in selecting one character with a normal buttonpress and an entirely different character by holding start and pressing something.

Just going to answer this because I assume this is one of the biggest features that mugen lacks.
In Unreal Fighter 2D, changing the character to another runtime is already possible;

#24  May 31, 2017, 12:58:36 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Unique winposes after doing a specific move that don't require me to spawn a helper to do the winpose while I make the parent go invisible, forcing me to override every command to disable movement so that my character goes idle but doesn't read inputs.
#25  June 01, 2017, 07:14:52 pm
    • Brazil
GGPO implementation would be sick!
#26  June 01, 2017, 08:11:03 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
An online multiplayer mode but it can temporarily download the opponent's characters/stages if they don't have it, and something to make sure if they are exactly the same, so the mugen doesn't have to download it.
Also as i recall mugen doesn't show the CPU victory screen if you lose in arcade mode, so it needs that
this website is stupid
#27  June 02, 2017, 05:37:22 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Unique winposes after doing a specific move that don't require me to spawn a helper to do the winpose while I make the parent go invisible, forcing me to override every command to disable movement so that my character goes idle but doesn't read inputs.
See what I did for Jailbot when he defeats opponent via Arcade Hyper... a CtrlSet controller in State 0 that toggles Ctrl ON for just 1 tick every 60 ticks.  It's not the 100% perfect solution but it gets the job done without too much hassle.

Came in here to say: There needs to be a trigger to identify a character's local coordinate space.

*EDIT* It would also be nice if players with Physics = A (Air) or N (None) were unaffected by the movement of stages that bob up and down.

Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:58:48 pm by altoiddealer
#28  June 09, 2017, 02:49:28 am
  • Manchild who likes pancakes
  • Weeabooism 4 the win
    • USA
What needs to be added?
-A way to check if enemy's state is an overhead or a standing low attack.
-A way to check if the enemy's attack puts the target into a custom state.
-A way to reflect projectiles.
-A way to label helpers as projectiles.
-A way to change get hit sprites so that the characters will not revert back to their default sprites after they transform or somehow change appearance.
-Various debuffs like poison and specials lock. It is possible to code a poison effect now, but many other things require modifying other characters.
Arcade mode customization would also be nice.

I think it's possible to lock specials.
My hat is a pancake.
#29  June 10, 2017, 08:41:21 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Probably not as needed as some of these other things but I can't imaging it being as difficult to include since the data is already there.

It would be awesome if the total or average height and width of hitboxs/hurtboxs for each frame could be accessed. This would be great for AI and I'm sure other things too. Currently our AI is only really looking at the characters feet(axis). I know that there are some ways to help this in MUGEN that aren't 100% but why not correct it if possible.

Outside of making it a new standard to include a width and height average for every animation in a universal var for characters to access while cpu controlled, I think having it as a new feature would be great. plus, all that goes out the window if hitboxs/hurtboxs doesn't start at the axis....

That ties into this request as well. Make p2bodydist Y work, currently it's the same as p2dist Y as far as I can tell.

Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:45:29 pm by ink
#30  June 10, 2017, 09:27:39 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA

That effect in Reiji's cape? Basically the cape has a scrolling image that moves independently of the sprite animations, and the cape itself acts as a selection area showing what can be shown. Would be pretty useful for characters that transport enemies to other locations for a move.
#31  June 10, 2017, 10:09:42 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
^^
Masking would be awesome! A looped animation only shows up in an area of the sprite with a specific color, the rest doesn't appear at all. It'd be great because the animation wouldn't get interrupted from one move to another.
Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:20:08 pm by ink
#32  June 10, 2017, 10:52:17 pm
See what I did for Jailbot when he defeats opponent via Arcade Hyper... a CtrlSet controller in State 0 that toggles Ctrl ON for just 1 tick every 60 ticks.  It's not the 100% perfect solution but it gets the job done without too much hassle.

Came in here to say: There needs to be a trigger to identify a character's local coordinate space.

*EDIT* It would also be nice if players with Physics = A (Air) or N (None) were unaffected by the movement of stages that bob up and down.

Stage is a separate Entity from players so a moving stage would not effect a character in air etc. Funny enough, I didn't implement the "affect movement of players in ground if stage moves in x direction", that would only take my minutes to implement though. We will eventually get there.

I didn't understand the local coordinate space trigger though.

Probably not as needed as some of these other things but I can't imaging it being as difficult to include since the data is already there.

It would be awesome if the total or average height and width of hitboxs/hurtboxs for each frame could be accessed. This would be great for AI and I'm sure other things too. Currently our AI is only really looking at the characters feet(axis). I know that there are some ways to help this in MUGEN that aren't 100% but why not correct it if possible.

Outside of making it a new standard to include a width and height average for every animation in a universal var for characters to access while cpu controlled, I think having it as a new feature would be great. plus, all that goes out the window if hitboxs/hurtboxs doesn't start at the axis....

That ties into this request as well. Make p2bodydist Y work, currently it's the same as p2dist Y as far as I can tell.
While AI in Unreal is an entirely different story (and madness), what you are suggesting is already doable. Aslo Y Bodydists are all separate, editable runtime etc.

That effect in Reiji's cape? Basically the cape has a scrolling image that moves independently of the sprite animations, and the cape itself acts as a selection area showing what can be shown. Would be pretty useful for characters that transport enemies to other locations for a move.

This is ofcourse possible in Unreal's material system. No need to even discuss it.

I am still noting everyone's opinions by the way. I am just not chatty because of the work I am doing so excuse me.
Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:58:56 pm by Achilleon
#33  June 12, 2017, 07:20:12 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Local coord space is something added in 1.0 and up.

A localcoord of 320 is standard res (it doesn't give a shit about 240 in there, that bit does nothing) then there is 640 and 720. All of these affect the characters explod positioning and velocities. A way to detect your opponents localcoord could be beneficial for custom states and the like.

Rootvarset
rootvaradd

Sometimes i have also wanted a "detect who has you as a target" trigger, although this would be possible via multiple redirects.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#34  June 12, 2017, 03:10:51 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
Easy-to-use tag systems, option for animated continue screens, easier character creation that uses slots for templates or various styles...
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#35  June 12, 2017, 04:04:42 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Stage is a separate Entity from players so a moving stage would not effect a character in air etc. Funny enough, I didn't implement the "affect movement of players in ground if stage moves in x direction", that would only take my minutes to implement though. We will eventually get there.
There's a number of stages where the floor (and players) bob up and down.  It doesn't matter what Physics / StateType you use, the player moves with the floor.
See this video I posted awhile back - I could not get the players to just freeze position in the air.  I eventually came up with a workaround, but it's certainly not the ideal solution... a constant VelSet controller with value calculated from current screen pos.  Using PosSet in the same manner actually causes bad graphic glitching that I was surprised was minimized drastically using VelSet instead.

I didn't understand the local coordinate space trigger though
Most characters are low res, but there are also high res characters.  There is no way to detect if the enemy is low or high res --- any and all values that could possibly hint at it are automatically scaled to the coordinate space being played in.  There are probably other reasons this would be useful, but the one that irked me was that I wanted to use P2's sprites in a custom state, using Explod... actually to solve the issue above (Explods do not get affected by stages that move up and down).  The only snag is that for some reason player Explods in a custom state do not get scaled to the game's coordinate space - they can appear 2X larger or 2X smaller depending.  There is no way to detect it assign a proper scale value.

#36  June 12, 2017, 05:22:41 pm
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
I feel like this is the only thing I can think of atm:

Allowing multi-button mapping. Not sure what is the right term for this, but essentially make It so one Button can be 3 punches, or 2 kicks, kick+punch, etc. Of course to make It more optimal It would have to have more button commands than It does now.

(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#37  June 12, 2017, 06:57:32 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I feel like this is the only thing I can think of atm:

Allowing multi-button mapping. Not sure what is the right term for this, but essentially make It so one Button can be 3 punches, or 2 kicks, kick+punch, etc. Of course to make It more optimal It would have to have more button commands than It does now.
Pretty sure this is already possible

#38  June 20, 2017, 08:02:29 pm
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
MUGEN needs a lot of things, let's go over some basic stuff that I think it should have first and foremost, before I get to the nitty gritty

Basics:
- A juggle system that properly works. I am well aware you can make a custom one and I highly encourage that anyways, but the stock juggle system should work as intended as well. Juggle points are only added upon hard fall which is incredibly problematic, it should either be specifiable or just add them indiscriminately upon the instance in which Player 2 is hit out of the air.
- Width boxes. What the hell is a width box, you may ask? In many fighting games, these are important as they handle the interaction of "pushing" between players. MUGEN handles this width solely with its clsn2, which is not just lazy, it is also detrimental. Let's look at Super Turbo Dictator, in the image embed provided:

Now, we all know the blue = hittable and red = attack, but let's take a deep look at that green and how it affects this move. That green box is the width box. This move is Dictator's prime crossup in ST, and it is incredibly tricky. Due to the wackiness of its width box, it allows him to effectively 50/50 and fakeout his crossups, making this move incredibly hard to block and deal with. Replicating this in MUGEN with proper CLSN2 would be needlessly difficult even with proper height checks.
- Crossup pushback functionality proper, preferably with a crossup pushback modifier in the hitdef. Some fighting games handle crossups differently than SF2 did. In SF2 crossups still pulled the opponent towards the player, but in say, Karnov's Revenge, Marstorius's crossups sent them away relative to where he was, rather than sucking them in. A way to define this without having to use a facing ifelse in the hitvelocities would be very nice.
- Command buffering bugfixes, and proper buffering options. I think people have gone into enough detail on this in other threads, I recommend looking at anything Vans has written on it.

Now, as for advanced stuff:
- Hitbox flags/tags. This would allow for accurate hitstates (low, mid, high) ala SF2, but also tagging Clsn1 would allow you to track and assign different properties to moves based on range that isn't arbitrarily defined by P2BodyDist!
- Being able to pick between multiple types of Shadow displays rather than the one MUGEN has alone would be a cool extra, too!
- Proper throw boxes. Honestly having to specify bodydist is annoying, why not cut the middleman out (if the other creator so chooses, at least.) I'd say make these optional as part of MUGEN's draw is that it is beginner friendly.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

But are there truly grown men in this world?!
Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:06:22 pm by Killer Kong
#39  June 20, 2017, 08:37:06 pm
  • 6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A6A
    • USA
I think it's possible to lock specials.

Not for the enemy. There is nothing that marks a state as a normal, special or hyper, so, you can do that only in full game enviroments.

There is one more thing MUGEN needs as far as aesthetics go - graphic distortion. Some examples of that in fighting games:
-DIO's The World time stop in that one JoJo game inverts background inside its effect until it covers the whole screen.
-Azrael's Growler Field in BlazBlue distorts graphics overlapping with his aura in a certain pattern.
-When Hibiki performs the finishing blow during his Astral Heat, the screen and the enemy are split into 4 parts which slide off before shattering.
#40  June 25, 2017, 10:41:01 am
the ability to play a video cutscene during arcade mode/story mode.

For example before you fight ( insert char name here ) vs(  char on the 9th order of character list . blah, blah, blah. ) it plays a cutscene of (insert quick video here)....then you get to the intro on a specific stage that you set normally in mugen.

you would be able to easily enhance story/ arcade mode with that.
im not sure if mugen currently supports video cutscenes in arcade/ story mode. (if there is a way please enlighten me.)

^^
i hope that unreal engine supports mugen workfiles!
probably hell no but how hard would it be to code for unreal engine anyway?