Started by RedDragonCats17, July 18, 2017, 02:36:54 am
Share this topic:
3D modeling programs
#1  July 18, 2017, 02:36:54 am
  • Part-Time MUGEN creator
    • USA
    • Skype - reddragoncats17
    • reddragoncats17.weebly.com/
Okay, this is the other 3D topic. 3D modeling programs. It's (hopefully) not that much of a question, I just wanna know which 3D modeling program works best, because I don't think the 3D models from Models Resource work with Blender, which I have.

This is technically MUGEN related because, as I said, 3D models can be used as a resource for MUGEN characters, as they can be turned into sprites using some.... random program that turns 3D animations into sprites.

Which program works best for MUGEN?
Re: 3D modeling programs
#2  July 18, 2017, 12:46:50 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
It's all depending on a number of factors.
But more than likely, you'll find 3DS Max will be your best bet.
I like to make meshes with Lightwave 3d. Maya is good. There's a number of programs out there.
But 3DS Max seems to be very good at importing meshes from games with their textures. Which is what you want.

You may also want to look into BrawlBox. It's pretty easy to use and rip characters with.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  July 18, 2017, 12:52:42 pm
#4  July 18, 2017, 09:07:24 pm
milkshape is old as hell but worth a look. I used to model half-life stuff with it back in the day.
#5  July 18, 2017, 10:32:26 pm
    • USA
It's all depending on a number of factors.
But more than likely, you'll find 3DS Max will be your best bet.
I like to make meshes with Lightwave 3d. Maya is good. There's a number of programs out there.
But 3DS Max seems to be very good at importing meshes from games with their textures. Which is what you want.

You may also want to look into BrawlBox. It's pretty easy to use and rip characters with.

The problem is that I heard that 3DS Max is expensive as hell, if there's a trial version of it then link it to me. I also forgot that Maya and BrawlBox exist and I never heard of Lightwave 3D, I'll take a peek.

milkshape is old as hell but worth a look. I used to model half-life stuff with it back in the day.

Never heard of it, I'll take a look.

Posted: July 18, 2017, 10:41:04 pm
My primary reason for asking this is the model of Daisy I downloaded (which is this I tried bending her fingers, but they started to stretch and deform, which isn't really natural.

I did however find this model of Daisy's tennis trophy from Super Smash Bros 3DS. The problem is that she's still in the trophy pose. I'm gonna have to use a program to remove the tennis racket and put her into a T pose, making more expressions for her is probably gonna be a pain in my ass.

This is also the reason why I asked you guys if you came across or have a much better model of Daisy in this very outfit, because of the one I originally downloaded.
#6  July 18, 2017, 11:52:24 pm
Deforming of things is pretty normal when moving bones around, you need to set proper vertex weights.  More expressions will either by made via morph targets or setting up a complex set of controllers, the latter also involving vertex weights (and naturally bones).

That said if you're even fine with the model looking 3D as it does now, in which case you'll have to remake the entire thing and apply proper materials and such to make it look 2D.
#7  July 19, 2017, 12:26:46 am
    • USA
And give the model some cel shading to make it look more cartoony than what it is.
#8  July 19, 2017, 12:35:17 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Why has nobody suggested Blender? Its free, does most things 3ds Max does, and has tonnes of plugins.
#9  July 19, 2017, 12:42:22 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#10  July 19, 2017, 12:50:29 am
    • USA
As I explained before, using Daisy as a example, I got her Sports Mix model from Models Resource, and her fingers don't make a perfect fist. I tried forming a thumbs up sign, but it didn't work out well. Some of the other models I have, like Sheik's Melee model, Samus' Prime 1 model, and Jason's MKX model are OBJ files, and making a armature is a pain.
#11  July 19, 2017, 01:13:41 am
And give the model some cel shading to make it look more cartoony than what it is.

It really isn't that simple, at least not in Max.  There is no shortcut for this sort of thing.  You're probably going to find yourself having to learn quite a few techniques before you can get to the point where you want to be at.

I'm not trying to discourage you, of course, but expect to go through a few things that are "a pain" as you call it.  This is kind of my field, so I have an idea of what is involved.
#12  July 19, 2017, 02:51:32 am
    • USA
What about collaborating with other people? Just by reading what you're saying, I don't think Daisy is a project I can do by myself.

Posted: July 19, 2017, 05:13:54 am
Speaking of collaborating, there's another thing I need help with. It's my screenpack, but that's gonna be in a different topic.

Posted: July 20, 2017, 07:30:14 pm
What other options do you guys have? I'm pretty curious about Brawlbox's features, primarily if it requires a armature to pose the model.
#13  July 24, 2017, 11:40:20 am
    • USA
One question. There's some programs that I COMPLETELY forgot about, 2 to be exact. It's MMD and XNALara.

What are your opinions on these 2?

(Sorry for bumping this post, I just realized that those 2 existed JUST now, and I'm wondering what you guys think)
#14  July 24, 2017, 06:57:54 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I'm not sure about those 2 programs. I've no experience with them.
Personally with a Nintendo character I'd stick with brawlbox. It gives a ton of control and is extremely easy to use once you get the character loaded. It's very good for taking pics of each frame of the animations also.
Focus on color separation before ripping the images. You'll want to dye aspects of the mesh's texture.

In the long run, if you rip all the sprites and make a project page I'm sure someone will be interested in collaborating.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#15  July 25, 2017, 02:32:04 am
    • USA
I'll take a look at BrawlBox and see what's up. I'll probably make a project page, but I barely made progress on Ryu. I just finished his Hadouken and I don't want to be a lazy ass on him, so I better get a whole lot of him done before I do anything else.

I'll also have to figure out a way to convert Peach's model from a XPS to a DAE file, primarily because she's for XNALara and idk what files BrawlBox supports, so just for good measure imma convert her.

Questions about BrawlBox: Does it require a skeleton to animate the mesh, 2 models that I have (Sheik Melee and Samus Prime 1) don't have such things, and the other Daisy model I showed you is still in her trophy pose. Can you also T pose a trophy like the one I just showed you?

Posted: July 25, 2017, 03:55:49 am
I will, however, make a poll about who has  the most interesting concepts in Idea Engineering. In the poll, you'll have 3 choices: Gouki, Inuyasha, or Daisy.

I'll tell you one thing about her, unlike Peach, Daisy fights in real fighting styles. Specifically Karate, Judo, and Professional Wrestling.
Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:03:05 am by RedDragonCats17
#16  July 27, 2017, 12:05:30 am
    • USA
I hate to double post and bump this topic, but this is a remake of the post that merged with the one on top. I found out that there's a 30 day trial of 3DS Max, and I thought that it could be a fully functional trial that expires in 30 days, but... idk. Odb718 and everyone else, help me out here, gimme all the info I need for this trial.
#17  July 27, 2017, 12:25:24 am
One question. There's some programs that I COMPLETELY forgot about, 2 to be exact. It's MMD and XNALara.

What are your opinions on these 2?

I'm not that well versed in either, but I do know that MMD will let you do animations without having to take mesh physics into account, unlike XNALara where you have to do everything by hand.

I use Blender, though I prefer making my own models. The Orthodox camera setting allows for better character rendering results than Perspective, in which the former doesn't exist in stuff like XNALara. However imported models will not have their armature data, so you'd have to do the rigging yourself.

3DSMax should allow you to do just about everything for 30 days, dunno if this is still the case.
#18  July 27, 2017, 12:44:04 am
    • USA
This Daisy model does have the armature, but I guess her fingers weren't right because they deform and don't bend normally like our finders. Her knees and elbows work fine, it's just the fingers that's my primary problem. I will try again rerigging her, but it'd be more than likely my last attempt.

My current problem with 3DS Max is that it's too expensive and idk what the 30 day trial has, that's why I need some info on that.

Posted: July 27, 2017, 12:50:47 am
There's one reason I completely forgot to mention about this whole thing. I was willing to make a Deviantart account to see if there's anyone that know or have better models of Daisy (tennis and strikers), Shiek (melee), and Samus (Prime 1), but thanks to a friend telling me that I have to make art from the ground up, and me losing my interest in art, I just put the whole thing aside and decided to ask you guys.
#19  July 27, 2017, 01:29:26 am
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Going back to my other post, as I frequently contribute and make use of models resource and can say that all models there do work with blender.
Brawlbox would be a horrible option if you wanted to make frames for a character.
Mmd wouldn't be ideal either as it has a bit of a high learning curve if you have never done anything with 3d models.
Not to brag, but I'm kinda big in the xnalara scene, so I know what I'm talking about regarding this, and you probably can find any model you want for it. Problem for you would be that you would have to manuallys pose each frame individually.
This is why I suggested blender, you can import a model, apply an animation to it, export the animation to individual images and there you go. It's a bit of a learning process but it gets the job done. And blender supports xnalara models as well through a plugin script.

Also, you don't have to make art to join Deviantart or to ask people things there. They may crap on you but most people there are generally nice.
#20  July 27, 2017, 02:03:33 am
    • USA
Hmmmm, idk about this, but I'll think about making a account.

Posted: July 27, 2017, 09:23:28 am
Okay, I made a Deviantart account. Idk why, but I'm a little hesitant to ask if they know a good model, but then again, I won't go anywhere without help.

Posted: July 27, 2017, 09:38:38 am
I just joined, but I have to brave up SOMEHOW.

Posted: July 27, 2017, 08:38:37 pm
Just submitted a comment, let's see how this goes.