YesNoOk

Last game you finished + 4 lines review.  (Read 1160561 times)

Started by Santtu, May 30, 2010, 07:06:56 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you finished + 4 lines review.
#2281  July 03, 2017, 11:20:30 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
You could almost say its the new Dark Souls :3

anyway

Final Fantasy IV (PSP)

Beat the whole thing! Sorta. I haven't done the Lunar Trials yet.

Also this version lets you swap party members in the end game so I got rid of Edge's shit-defense ass and brought Yang back in so I could deal more damage without having to stock up ammo. The last dungeon though! This game's encounter rate is through the roof sometimes but moreso in the last one. Its hell. Hell even the final boss is pretty hard. I beat him teh second time and only had Rydia, Rosa and Kain left standing and I'm pretty sure me spamming Kain's jump saved his life.

Also Interlude's a thing on PSP but meh on that. Gonna start on both After Years and the 3D remake on Steam. Hoorah!
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#2282  July 07, 2017, 01:56:20 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Interlude and After Years weren't really fun to play honestly. I got bored of the two of them before I manage to complete them, even After Years, despite how many new things they added. Maybe I was burnt out from beating the main game, I suggest you take a break from it before you move on to the additional content.
#2283  July 07, 2017, 11:49:56 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Well I am replaying FF1. I started a new party named after internet funnypeoples. Caddicarus, Brutalmoose, and Limes and Joel from Vinesauce.

Also I already did Interlude. I'm hoping AY picks up.
#2284  July 09, 2017, 06:30:49 am
Crash Bandicoot 2 (N.Sane Trilogy)

Just got my platinum. I actually liked this less than I did the first game. The small changes in physics in the remakes were a lot more apparent to me here, and while the story and presentation and gameplay is overall improved, the sense of progression is totally gone. This is why I only remember a few levels from this game, the warp rooms are just random and don't really have any kind of theme. It's just 25 levels thrown at you more or less at random, without progressing through different 'worlds' or anything like that. Crash 1 had the overworld map and levels presented in a way that made thematic sense, Crash 3 had warp rooms with consistent themes/eras, this one? Not really anything.

Also, the remake changes how bosses work. They're now in a 6th portal in each warp room, instead of being fought when you move between warp rooms. While this does mean you can replay them, it bothers me and makes their presentation a whole lot less impressive and cinematic.

Sliding is good, though. I like being able to slide.

edit 3 days later:

Crash Bandicoot Warped (N.Sane Trilogy)

Just got my platinum here too. This game was great. My only complaint is there were too many vehicle gimmick levels, and the secrets were mainly more of that. I would have liked one big hidden hard platforming level at the end. The controls were pretty great here. The tiger levels and jetski levels felt off, but only when going for breaking the boxes, speedrunning them felt glorious.

tl;dr I am the bandicoot king.
Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:36:06 am by Snakebyte
#2285  July 13, 2017, 01:31:01 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen

It was good? Kinda. The game is very ambitious and actually succeeds in individual mechanics far more then you would expect from game as big as this (more so then Skyrim) and it's actually pretty absorbing at times. I got caught spening a lot of hours just questing. Buuuuuut, quiet a few elements ended up falling totally flat.

The climbing all over big enemies thing feels cool at first, but on the long term (by the time you fought your fourth cyclops in the exact same manner) it's just kinda dull and repetitive. There's been a few games that have done this climing over things ala Sotc and it's never worked well since there's not enough mechanical focus on it to make it play good and they never capture the same degree of scale and awe that game did.

The plot is total drivel. Save a few clever bits, it's just mostly very vanilla western fantasy stuff with a punch of Berserk references for good measure. Characters have very little character, vast majority of them really just feeling like quest dispensers. It falls totally apart at the end, with a pretty disappointing dragon fight (which was hyped to me a punch, but it ended up just being kinda tedious), bizarrely showing your character into a totally empty and arbitrary chosen romance and everything from everfall forwards is just boring.

All that aside, I had a fair amount of fun. The great degree of character customization for both your Arisen and Pawn did lend of degree of fun self styled fantasy adventures (Milf barbarian and sassy 4 feet elf sidekick. Together they fight crimemonsters). They combat is fun enough and there's usually something neat around the next hill. The ability to grab and throw almost anything and the physics engine lend itself to some good old videogame slapstick comedy.

I think my biggest issue with it, more then any of the above, is just how fucking boring it is visually. Played a bit of Dragon's Crown with my friend during this playthrough and it really is just crazy how much more interesting Crown is to view in motion. It's not exactly a fair comparison and im not saying this game needs Vanillaware level visuals, but as is it's just boring fucking 3 models and boring designs throughout the whole thing with absolutely zero sense of style.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:11:48 am by Mechy
#2286  July 20, 2017, 11:18:01 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
@Snakebyte: Yo they finally finished Stormy Ascent so go fucking nuts.

Gundam Extreme VS Force (PS Vita)

I was just desperate for a Gundam game available overseas that wasn't Dynasty Warriors Gundam and I liked what bit of Next Plus I played on PSP. This looked real good too. Shame its heavily single player oriented with a pretty weakass battle mode tacked on and a roster that pales in comparison to what the actual Extreme VS and even Next Plus offered, and a forgettable story mode that's all about the UC I already went through in DWG2 (although this one at least has Unicorn)

Seriously the roster sucks even for a Vita game. I mean I know its portable and the Universal Century is popular but come on, even Next Plus had more Gundam Wing pilots and mechs! This game only has 1 (Heero and old Wing Zero) if you didn't get the latest patch somehow (which adds Treize in the Tallgeese II), and the exact same can be said for G Gundam as well. 2 with the latest patch and that's it while Next Plus had more.

Big let down really. I mean at least there's Turn A.
#2287  July 20, 2017, 11:45:54 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen
everything from everfall forwards is just boring.
Really?
I thought post-Everfall part was a great plot twist,as it especially elevates your role in the game and also explains crap about the Duke and what happens to the Arisen in general
Did you do the Dark Arisen campaign?
Also who was your waifu?
#2288  July 20, 2017, 11:56:39 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
The plot twist was semi neat, but it didn't really resonate with me because I didn't care about any of the characters and the world was hardly immersive enough for me to care about how it was managed. The finale also just threw away any form of actual gameplay challenge.

What, Bitterblack Isle? No, but I plan on eventually once I get done playing some other stuff.

Also my Husbando was the sweeper at the Duke's place (usually by the front door), because once I found out about how the romance system works I just had to make it some totally random asshole. It was hilarious.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#2289  July 21, 2017, 12:03:55 am
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Yea I tried that too
I tried to get the bar lady that insults the Dukes crotch but ended up with Madeleine instead somehow
Sad
The finale also just threw away any form of actual gameplay challenge.
They seem to have completely forgotten to buff humanoid characters
I know the game was rushed and a lot was cut(From going to the moon to an infinite tower of enemies to an entire additional city full of elves) but still
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Also Bitterblack Isle is far more Souls-y than the maingame,atmosphere wise.Its also kinda difficult,and rewards you for doing it again right after,similiar to Souls ng+
If you like Souls you'll usually like BBI
#2290  July 21, 2017, 05:16:31 am
@Snakebyte: Yo they finally finished Stormy Ascent so go fucking nuts.

Haha I beat it already. Didn't think it was all that hard until the very last couple of jumps. Until then, I had much more trouble with The High Road.

Fuck those last couple of jumps though.

Also, not going for the relic on this one. That would be absurd.
#2291  July 21, 2017, 06:32:57 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Nice job. Wonder if they'll ever finish the beta version of sunset Vista?
#2292  July 21, 2017, 08:07:35 pm
I'll be very surprised if there's any more content. Both the DLC trophies at launch were used for Stormy Ascent, so they'd have to patch more trophies in. And if they wanted to patch trophies in, you'd think they would have done it with Stormy Ascent as well instead of having them be there at launch.
#2293  July 23, 2017, 11:24:04 pm
God of War Ascension.
they made some very unnecessary changes and additions. the parry doesn't work like in the previous games and is a lot less intuitive, it was a simple button tap but now you have to tap L1 and X together to execute it, which as you might imagine can become quite tiresome to do when you're getting your ass handed to you by the enemies.
the magic powers are uninspired as hell and recycled from past games, the powers have three attacks, the main magic attack, the rage of gods attack and the L1 attack. their main attacks all have the same effect, damage all near by enemies, there is no variation between them at all. also, the ice power is completely useless, it freezes your enemies but you it takes waay to long to crack just one of them.

the rage of the gods has been changed drastically too, it's no longer a super powered state that you unleash on your enemies when fully charged.
it's a meter that you have to fill in order to execute full combos that you were able to do in past games with no rage, yeah. but to be fair tho its not just that.
each magic power gives different attack animations and effects, and when completely filled you can preform a the rage of gods attack, like implanting a bomb on enemies, releasing souls to fight with you, freezing, and turning your blade into a super taser gun.
the rage meter will get depleted if you get hit and if you're grappled by enemies it goes all the way to zero.
there is a resemblance of a god idea in here but damn it the execution is not good, why limit my combos to the rage meter? and why make the rage momentum so easy to break? a simple enemy hit and it's gone.

there are some good things tho, the finishing moves are brutal and very satisfying to do, i like the minigames that you have to do with certain monsters before you kill them, a very good replacement for quick time events.
the sub weapons system is very good, i really liked using world weapons, but what i really enjoyed was using kratos's fists. theres something about him punching monsters that i found very amusing. i liked how you can mix blades attacks with sub weapon attacks.
the boss fights are badass, and the grunts are tough as nails. i got my ass handed to me but it wasn't anything cheap.
the story was okay, kratos was kinda chilled out but it was a nice origin story.
i really wanted to try the multiplayer but it seems i can't because either the network pass is used or i have to make a uk account because that is the region of the game.
fuck network passes, sony fuck you for using this shit.
anyways game gets a 6.5/10

I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2294  July 24, 2017, 04:37:55 am
Strider (2014)

Started this up over a year ago, was annoyed it was still in my backlog, decided it was time to finish it. I assumed I'd be hate-playing it at first, but it improved a whole fucking lot after the first 20% of the game or so. The power-ups hugely expand your options and make the game feel fun, and much less punishing than the beginning of the game. I recommend this game to anyone, it's a solid Metroidvania with a unique identity (focus on speed and fluid combat) and aside from a couple of hiccups (got stuck in a wall once, wall-cling mechanics could be more precise, one particular collectible was a bitch and a half to get due to them), I really, really enjoyed my time with it. Which was like 7.5 hours to 100%. Not a long game, but not an expensive game either.

8/10. Better than expected and better than what I played before putting it down (10-15%) would lead me to believe.

edit: Forgot one weird thing I wanted to mention. For whatever reason, the game has these beautiful 2D smoke effects that look hand-drawn. While they're gorgeous whenever you can see them through the overall clutter and zoom-out, it really clashes with the 2.5D style of the game. Not that the graphics are anything to write home about, they're actually a fair bit shittier than the smoke overall, but I wonder why they'd do it that way. It's weird, and it caught my eye.
Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:56:33 am by Snakebyte
#2295  August 13, 2017, 01:57:09 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fantastic game that I 1000%'d. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Could have used more stuff from Far Cry Primal, but still extremely solid. It's a must own for PS4 players.

The game was good enough that I did side-quests often. So much so that by the time I was nearing the end I was at 80% trophies. I thousand percented it. Meaning I did 100% of 100% of the things. (yeah I know the math isnt right but it means what it means)
It's a lot like Far Cry Primal. Another game I fully enjoyed. So if you like FCP, buy H0D. The one "major" thing it lacked that FCP has is home base. With the story how it is, it wouldn't work if you did have one. In FCP you could also pick up items while on your beast/ride. H0D doesn't allow that which is a big pain. Especially when hunting health plants.
I didn't give it a 10 out of 10 because the stealth option seemed incomplete. You can crouch down in tall, red, grass. You also can upgrade your armor to add additional stealth. But at no point can you hide in the kinda-tall green grass, or anywhere else. You do get some benefit, but not half as much as I'd expected.

The DLC Game Plus thing actually adds some replay value. All of the enemies seem to act different. And they seemed way more aggressive. The last battle took a lot of replays. Mainly due to my halfway point spawning me in instant death.

If you have a ps4 and are near a redbox, rent it. If you have the money and like open world 3rd person adventure shooters buy it.

I'm looking forward to the DLC add-on.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#2296  August 14, 2017, 07:08:36 am
Mad Max

I liked this game a lot, a lot more than I expected to. I got recommendations from two friends with very different tastes and picked it up for $15 in the summer sale. It's a great car-combat Ubisoft-open-world game with a well-designed world and little linear areas that feel handcrafted to take away from the openworld monotony. However, the ending really rubbed me the wrong way, and there's way too much side content. I had 50-60 hours of really solid fun with the game. Unfortunately, my final playtime was almost 90.

I recommend it, with the strong caveat that you don't try to 100% it. There's too much repetitive side content for that. Just get most of the upgrades, fuck around until you get bored, then finish the story. Those 50 hours were genuinely really goddamn fun, so I can't be that hard on it.
#2297  August 21, 2017, 03:53:00 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Agents of Mayhem
Volition's new IP and sort of successor to their Saints Row franchise. The Saints Row franchise is best known for disappointing its fanbase with each installment and bringing in newcomers that the old fanbase will dislike and this game excels at that, good to see Volition still has their magic touch. Agents of Mayhem doesn't have a central protagonist that you customize but rather you get a team of 12 agents (15 with future DLC) that you can choose 3 of to bring into missions and activities. The game is set in a spin off universe that was created in one of the Gat Outta Hell endings and features many connections to the Saints Row franchise such as Pierce, Oleg, Johnny Gat, and Kinzie returning in this universe, the Saints fleur, and overall purple theme.

The gameplay's more action packed than the other games in the franchise and has more depth and style than the other games do, aerial combat, special abilities, and instant character switching are what separate this from Saints Row's more simplistic combat. The characters all have different aspects of their kit you can customize such as what functions their weapons and special abilities have, what moves you can buff with accessories, or even what you want your team comp to be and building around that, the game's lacking in things to do but the combat is what will generally keep you busy. I personally didn't like the game at first but at higher difficulties the game gets a lot more fun since you'll need to start being smarter with how you approach situations and build your team, I got invested into it and enjoyed, especially when you get a good accessory that completely changes how you play a character.

Game's good, I recommend it if you can pick it up in the future for like 10 bucks or something, there's not enough variety here or things to keep you coming back once you're done with the game, it's a AA game that's priced like a AAA one, not worth full price even if it is fun. I can get invested into a fun combat system so it was worth its money for me but for a general crowd I can't recommend it right now, especially on PC with its rough performance issues and Denuvo.

Writing's also not that good, it's not as shitty as Saints Row 4's or 3's but that's not saying much, character interactions are fun, everything else leaves a lot to be desired so... eh.
Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:00:44 pm by nick.
#2298  August 22, 2017, 07:58:32 am
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD

I loved these games so I'm going back to them. This one does not hold up at all and I will not be playing it again. Really hoping the next two are still as good as I remember. The port has really shitty sound levels, too, which doesn't help.
#2299  September 24, 2017, 10:53:05 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Lets bring this thread back from the dead for a bit, yeah?

Metroid: Samus Returns

My god, did I love this game.  Beyond moments to make sure the 3DS versions of Pokémon Gold and Silver were installed, any time I had to spend on the 3DS went straight into this.  A good solid 10 hours to reach the end and fight the final boss, and the completion percentage only just cracked the 50% mark.  That's just euphoric to see from a Metroidvania, never mind an actual Metroid title, never mind on top of that the one after such a drought of official content, it being a story being retold or not.

Like most if not all fans I was rather iffy on the inclusion of Aeion abilities and having melee combat introduced, but in practice they were absolutely fine.  The melee counters actually gave a new twist on all the boss fights, involving a little risk/reward on being able to counter their big attacks for extra damage.  Being nitpicky here, the only annoyance I had with them was the beginning few areas relying a bit too much on the counter attack to safely make it through waves of enemies, but understandably, it's to familiarize you with a new concept to 2D Metroid and as you gain more and more power-ups it becomes much less a necessity rather a different option of attack.

Cutscenes were added, beyond the typical opening setting the plot in motion, but they are much more in line with Metroid's aesthetic than our last two entries of Other M's monologues from the mute protagonist and Federation Force's intel from HQ.  More akin to Metroid Prime's occasional stops with Samus surveying the scenery, making subtle motions to convey a message or two or otherwise they're set to open and close a large boss.  I had little issue with Metroid Fusion's text-given inner thoughts of Samus or debates with her quazi-dead father figure A.I., but for those were maybe worried from game trailers this entry would follow Fusion's practices, these are nothing but short cool silent moments.

I'm totally in the bias, Metroid is my favorite series, but I have to fully recommend this to any and everyone right now.  10/10, massive world to explore, puzzles that make you think for their rewards, combat is progressive at turning you from starting with no health and a pea shooter to an unstoppable wave of destruction, music is wonderfully remastered tracks of past Metroids, new additions are welcome and enjoyable, it all just feels right for a Metroid title.

Spoiler: And now, for some spoilers (click to see content)
Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:14:16 am by Long John Killer
#2300  September 25, 2017, 03:47:03 am
Great to hear. My copy is sitting on my dresser in the plastic, been pretty busy lately, but I'd like to delve into it soon. (Soon may not be until 2-3 weeks from now, ugh, adult life, why).