YesNoOk

Doctor Who Thread (Read 563652 times)

Started by Nucka, January 08, 2010, 03:54:37 am
Share this topic:
Re: Doctor Who Thread
#381  June 25, 2017, 03:54:23 pm
I dunno, this season has been about the Doctor's responsibilities and guilt, in a much better and subtler way than it was with Clara and Me. He himself is also a lot more capable of handling loss this time around. At most, I'd see it go either the same way as Tenth's "daughter" when he never learned she regenerated (but probably not because this Doctor usually knows how everything goes, nothing goes past him, he's too fast), or he'll lose her anyway in the same way Tenth lost Donna, she can't stay and she forgets him. But with this Doctor, it won't go into depression like it did with Tenth, so that's good. It won't just erase her conversion and go back to a normal life, even considering we already know she's not coming back next season.

But yeah, amazing episode. The time difference was made in a pretty funny way, balancing the dark treatment of the patients, and if we didn't already know that the Mondasian Cybermen were coming back, the slow reveal until the first mention of "upgrading" was really well done in a good progression.
Missy was great, but Nardole was the Doctor's best companion so far. "I'm officially authorized to kick his ass -are you secretly a badass ? -there's nothing secret about it", his point of view as a savvy observer from outside of the Doctor's influence... Even his "Bill, I'm not real !" scream in the hologram episode made me actually fear for his character.
On the season a whole, it was a little weird because there were a lot of points where you just couldn't see where it was going (the triple invasion episodes was a bit of a boring plot line), but the resolution was usually really good. This episode and the Eaters of Light are my favorites.

As for Missy, it'd be a big disappointment for her character arc if she just reverted to straight enemy as Simm's buddy. I really hope she'll hop around between both sides, at the very least, and if possible, take part in the final confrontation on the Doctor's side.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:07:26 pm by Byakko
#382  June 25, 2017, 04:02:57 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I've been binge-watching the season this weekend because I've been terrible at keeping up.  I just finished up The Lie of the Land.  The whole Monk storyline was pretty good, even if the idea of a despotic ruling class tricking people into willingly surrendering their freedom by telling them what they want to hear was a little too on the nose, politically.  Also, the whole bit where Bill's imaginary idea of her mother was the key to undoing the whole thing felt really nonsensical and rushed.

Nardole has far and away been the absolute best thing about this season.  He is delightful and wonderful and I never want him to leave.  His simple-mindedness, no-nonsense attitude, and willingness to call the Doctor out on his bullshit reminds me so much of my all-time favorite companion, Jamie McCrimmon.
#383  July 02, 2017, 03:35:22 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
There are not enough "F"s for the huge Fffffffffff~ I just spat!!
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#384  July 02, 2017, 12:43:29 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Previously on Doctor Who
10/10 GOAT episode. And now for Moffat to fuck it up next week.

And now, the stunning conclusion
Spoiler: Stunning Conclusion (click to see content)
#385  July 02, 2017, 04:02:00 pm
Agree on Simm being useless, other than showing us Missy's change of heart(s). I'm glad about her arc, it went decently steady over the whole season while still retaining her base personality of a snarky asshole. Simm's line while shooting her was great and funny, but it's a shame she just dies like that with no one to notice - just like the Doctor told her, with no witness and no gain, she just turned good, but died and did nothing. She could've at least given a hand to Cyber Bill saving the Doctor, even after getting shot, that would have been a true selfless act as she was already a goner.
The Master is probably coming back in maybe a couple of seasons but Gomez probably couldn't keep sticking around for several years. It doesn't bother me that they'd end her at the same time as Twelfth, just like Simm in the first place with Tenth. New Doctor means new everyone too. Simm was Tennant's Master, and Gomez was Capaldi's Master, that's all. A new Doctor while still keeping the same Missy would have been too unusual, they only do that for the human companion (and River, but that was a setup for the great "I should ask the stars" dialog).

Nardole was the best companion, and since he's still in a dilated time zone, he still might pop up again later. Well, he could, but realistically speaking... probably not.

The Doctor not wanting to regenerate isn't like Tenth when he simply wanted to remain as himself, this is simply the Doctor tired of changing again and again, it's neither narcissistic nor fearful, just tired of starting over again and again. The Christmas episode with First should show him again the wonders of keeping at it regardless of how many times you have to start over. The "I don't want to go" line was just part of Twelfth reciting lines of several of the previous Doctors in a row ("the original, you might say", being called across all of time and space, "I'll always remember when the Doctor was me"...) so I'm not taking it in the same sense Tennant read that line.

The episode was extremely low key and slow, more emotional than showy (but probably too slow), which is fine for Twelfth compared to the bullshit of Eleventh that kept trying to one-up everything else and putting the companion on an adoration pedestal for no reason. It was solely about the Doctor's responsibilities and why he did what he did - the speech to the Master and Missy was long and boring, not all that rousing and interesting, but on point for him, reminding everyone that if it's the right thing to do, then he'll do it.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:06:55 pm by Byakko
#386  July 02, 2017, 05:05:58 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
I doubt missy died,didn't missy cause regeneration of master? master will regenerate into missy and probably think of a plan to survive,Time can be rewritten right? or we will have a new master that will regenerate into Missy(Similar to River's storyline)
Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:09:13 pm by mete122
#387  July 07, 2017, 02:49:09 am
    • USA
After finally getting a chance to watch the finale, I find myself agreeing with Byakko for the most part.  This episode felt like a very appropriate finale for the Twelfth Doctor.  I didn't feel like Simm's Master was wasted at all though, personally;  I really enjoyed what adding him into the mix did for Missy's character right up to the end.  And even though the internet completely ruined the surprise for me, the scene at the end with the First Doctor still made me giddy.  It's eerie how perfectly David Bradley can replicate William Hartnell's mannerisms and presence so well. 

I'm also really glad Bill managed to make it out alright in the end.  After only getting one season and barely enough time to do anything, she didn't deserve to die in such a pointless way.  I've had enough tragedy with Rose, Donna, the Ponds, River, and Clara.  The companions were long overdue for a happy ending.

The only thing that didn't really jive with me was the whole "scorched earth" method of storytelling there.  I can understand Moffat wanting to wipe the slate clean so that when Chibnall takes over he can bring in his own creative vision without being tied up in any loose threads left dangling around, but dang.  The Doctor, the Master, and all of the companions just all pop out together. 

All in all, I really liked this finale.  It was certainly loads better than last season where the Doctor was running around shooting people to death with lasers and destroying the space-time continuum because Clara is suddenly more important than the entire universe.

Farewell Nardole, you brilliant, beautiful man.  You were too good, too pure for this world.  You shall be missed forevermore.
#388  July 16, 2017, 05:49:38 pm
    • USA
And the new Doctor is...

Spoiler: Lucky Number 13 (click to see content)
Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:07:33 pm by Person Man
#389  July 16, 2017, 09:30:59 pm
That little bit of bait and switch they did though, in the last couple of months it seemed less likely to have a woman take over, and out of the blue, we get this.
#390  July 24, 2017, 02:54:35 am
    • USA
All aboard the old man hype train.

I see Polly in there!  Looks like they're bringing Ben and Polly back along with the First Doctor.  Which is cool!  They weren't my favorite of the First Doctor's companions, but they were still cool.  And they did help bridge the gap on that first regeneration.
#391  October 23, 2017, 12:34:33 am
    • USA
Bump for casting news:

The 13th Doctor's companions have officially been cast; Yasmin (Mandip Gill), Ryan (Tosin Cole), and Graham (Bradley Walsh).

Been a long time since there's been 3 regular companions at once on the TARDIS.  Not since the Fifth Doctor's run, IIRC.  I can't help but wonder if that may be too much all at once, when they're introducing a new Doctor at the same time.
#392  October 23, 2017, 12:49:29 am
Gotta keep a man around without giving too many dirty ideas to the viewers, so add one more woman, but then you can't have more women than men so add one more man.
#393  October 23, 2017, 03:45:16 am
    • USA
Well, historically every time there's been a four-person crew it's always been two men and two women.  First Doctor had Ian, Barbara, and Susan/Vicki;  Fifth had Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan.  If you really want to stretch there was also Eleven/Rory/Amy/River.  There's no real reason to assume it has anything to do with PC politics.
#394  October 23, 2017, 09:25:29 am
Yeah, I mean it couldn't have stopped at one or two companions, it needed 3.
But it's just a joke anyway.
#395  November 09, 2017, 11:18:57 pm
    • USA
First official look at the Thirteenth Doctor's costume: 

https://nerdist.com/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-costume-thirteenth-doctor/

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:31:51 am by Person Man
#396  November 11, 2017, 03:33:34 am
Oh hey, that's even better to remove all risk of sexualization of a female Doctor :P As long as it doesn't get too goofy with her personality, if they just go with some sort of "I'll stop you right here, I don't care what you think" attitude.

Hah, funny point.
||
V
Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:37:38 pm by Byakko
#397  November 11, 2017, 02:23:39 pm
    • USA
I've also seen it pointed out that this is person who has lived, and dressed, as a man for well over 2000 years, and likely would not have the faintest idea how to dress like a woman or the clothes in their wardrobe to do so.  Which is a remarkably good explanation for that outfit.
#398  November 11, 2017, 03:54:04 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I like that costume, very Fifth-ish :8): (even the blond hair and the pose are very Peter Davison IMO)

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#399  December 26, 2017, 08:06:48 pm
... Okay so now when's the next season

edit - ah, autumn, 10 episodes, 50 minutes (up from 45) with a full hour for the first episode. Okay, good, I really don't appreciate waiting a year and a half between seasons.

Not exactly Dr. Who related, but, huh, I just saw on Twitter that back in October, Alexandre Astier, maker of French TV series and national treasure Kaamelott, contacted Matt Lucas (Nardole) for a French-speaking role. Nardole in the upcoming elusive Kaamelott movie ? Wow.
Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:36:57 pm by Byakko
#400  July 19, 2018, 11:09:23 pm
    • USA

That accent!  Oh, Thirteen's gonna be a load of fun, I can already tell.