YesNoOk

Return back to MUGEN (Read 57966 times)

Started by Oso_050, July 26, 2017, 07:35:27 pm
Share this topic:
Return back to MUGEN
#1  July 26, 2017, 07:35:27 pm
Hey guys, I have return back into the world of MUGEN from 2015. I played mugen since 2005 i believe and i'm returning back with a new PC (tho that doesn't mean much in terms of upgrading for a 1999 engine) but I've took the old game I had for it into the harddrive into this new machine.

I plan the upgrade the old game with new characters and stages and characters changes but I have some question regard new characters 2016 and over, mainly on resolution and the new features like 1.1.

The game is running on 640x480 and is 1.0. I did tried a mugen game a while back in 1920x1080 game for my own life bars. While the theme was boring, I did found the game crashing more often and 16:9 seem too clustered visual wise but I found characters that are made with 16:9 in mind.

Can I still run the main game on 640x480 and 1.0 or will i have to change one or both of these functions?
Re: Return back to MUGEN
#2  July 27, 2017, 05:45:14 am
Hello and welcome back, Mugen 1.1 is more demanding on the PC, but  well worth it, diffrence between the two is that 1.1 has  PNG support and zoom (if the stage can take it)  you should always run 1.1 in opengl
Here's a video of what I mean.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This is running at 1280x960.

Example of the Zoom system.(mind  you zoom is iffy as hell)
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

If you just want to have fun,avoid all hassle and play go with what you know.
Just update your chars.  You should be able to run any char at any resolution. Most of these HD chars require 1.1 cause of the 32bit PNG support.  If you plan to play with them go for 1.1 cause its mandatory, if you dont plan to play with chars like that, use what you like everything should work on any res.

To be honest zoom is whatever, the only REAL benefit of 1.1 is that 32png support, that means, HD screenpacks and stuff.
But as I stated, you will need a decent PC.
Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:00:45 am by PeXXeR
#3  July 27, 2017, 10:10:39 am
So I did some more game playing with 1.1, did not crash at all with 2v2 on 720p, it went perfectly well. I think mugen may have problems with 1080p but idk for sure. Most new characters seem to be optimized for 720p and even the mugen file say that its optimal for 720p. I runned 1.1 on 480p and it actually can't load properly, so I think I'm going to stick to 720p.

As for the hussle, I don't mind the challenge, getting mugen characters and functions to work is 25% of the fun :P, I made the Marvel vs Capcom tag system 1.6 work so I think I run a new version of mugen, and I think it would be a smarter idea so that it is future proof in the long run.

As for the PC, I don't think I will have much problems, this new PC is a mid range gaming PC that run games like Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm. It could run most modern fighting games as while and it ran the old game just as good so I don't think hardware is an issue.

I think what i'm going to do is basically make a "squeal" but making a new game with the new version and just move the wanted characters and stages to the new game. It may be more work but i think it will be better for optimal reason in the long run, and 25%-50% of stuff in the old game I most likey won't want and it will be a lot more organize because the old game is a mess :S.

Also 75% of the reason why I want to get this to work is because Ryutaro's NESTS Kyo is a 1.1 character, and he is basically my dream Kyo that I didn't have back then. XIII sprites, nearly all KOF canon moves and universal game mechanics. :P
#4  July 27, 2017, 07:47:22 pm
that's weird 1.1 you should not be crashing on 480 or 1080p, Ive ran 1.1 on pretty much all common resolution and it never crashed on me. Come to think of it, for 1 year of use, its crashed on me once.
 As for that Kyo.. ehh.. its full of debug flood on EVERY move  and thats not good, if you like the KOF style gameplay, go with koopakoot's kyo.
Basicly for KOF stuff, its Vans and KoopaKoot with the best stuff.
KOD's stuff is also good, Ikaruga stuff, I dunno, but the AI is fucked.
Vans's Chars.
http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat338
Kk's chars.
http://www.trinitymugen.net/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat373

Your crashes maybe related to chars, or stages as well.
#5  July 27, 2017, 08:12:40 pm
Actually I found that one of the main character that caused crashes was Hero's Ken on some versions, mainly caused by his shoryuken.
#6  August 04, 2017, 10:26:36 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
1.1 has a 2gbB limit,download 4gb patch and apply  to increase it even more but still I can't gurantee that your mugen will not have crashes.

Easy way to add Zoom to stages is basically this in mugen.cfg
Code:
;Set to nonzero to force stages to have the specified zoomout scale
  ;factor.
  ;This option has no effect on stages that have either zoomin or zoomout
  ;parameter set to a value other than the default of 1.
  ;This is a debug parameter and may be removed in future versions.
;ForceStageZoomout = .75
Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:38:54 pm by mete122
#7  August 05, 2017, 12:37:03 am
Meh,  don't wan't zoom in Mugen but thanks anyway. Zoom buffs zoners :P.
#8  August 05, 2017, 09:12:42 pm
    • USA
Depends on what characters & style you use. I prefer non-projectile characters, and I use full scale zoom, never had an issue with zone, but eh probably just the way I play. Reading this just made me think back on the days I used to just spam download every character I saw. 1000+ roster lol
#9  August 06, 2017, 01:31:56 am
I mean I do have some powerful zoners in my roster, its not game breaking but I don't think they need more space.
#10  August 16, 2017, 08:04:46 pm
  • Why,
Depends on what characters & style you use. I prefer non-projectile characters, and I use full scale zoom, never had an issue with zone, but eh probably just the way I play. Reading this just made me think back on the days I used to just spam download every character I saw. 1000+ roster lol

Sometimes is most difficult put them "right place" these order thinks.
Sometimes them are so good ai that i up them after test, sometimes i down...
Hmm 1000+ ? thasĀ“s big select list.
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help