YesNoOk

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon [3DS] (Read 383404 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 26, 2016, 04:22:04 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon [3DS]
#701  June 15, 2017, 10:28:19 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Hey if they handle it like they handled Black 2/White 2, I'm all for it.
#702  June 15, 2017, 11:16:39 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Black, White, Black 2 and White 2 were entries I skipped, so I'm curious what they did that warranted such sequels.  Were they legit sequels, the events that took place were all post the first Black and White, or was it a retelling with updates?  The later is what I suspect of these Ultra games and what little has been shown seems to be the case, which is fine as Sun and Moon, while good games were left with little post-game and a goodbye to Lillie intentionally set up in a way that we know we're going to be seeing more of her next time we see Kanto.

Now, seeing that we now have actual confirmation about a Switch core RPG title, I'd be willing to bet that that's where we'll be seeing Kanto again in some form and pick up Lillie's story there, but I would not be opposed to some more information before she leaves Alola in these Ultra games than what we got for Sun/Moon.  (Also, let her keep Nebby.  Seriously.  We get a new baby Cosmog anyways, to get our own copy of whichever Legendary, that send-off in Sun/Moon really felt awkwardly forced)
#703  June 16, 2017, 01:03:54 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Black and White 2 were full fledged sequels that took place years (?) after the first two games. It added a new section to Unova, progression through the cities is different, and the second and last gyms are replaced with new ones. Also every gym has their own remix of the Pokemon Gym theme music (Nimbasa Gym's famously samples a Hikaru Utada song in it).

Spoiler: Storywise... (click to see content)

If you played BW1 you can link your game to BW2 and the characters will recall your BW1 protagonist, and basically hold you to that level of responsibility.

Also there's a Pokemon movie thing that basically gives you a battle script that you follow as if you're making a movie with Pokemon, which is pretty unique, and even though there's not a lot of flexibility, it's fun to make movies where a Ludicolo saves the world from Aliens.

It's the only game compatible with Dream Radar which allows you to catch Dream World Pokemon in Dream Balls (and alt forms of the genies and DW-ability legendaries from 4th gen).

So basically, yes it totally stands on its own and I love it.
#704  June 16, 2017, 12:23:56 pm
  • Unity of Hearts
    • Spain
Honestly, I'm not so happy with the idea of a sequel for this game. Part of the charm in doing a new generation is discovering the new Pokemons and deciding while you advance in the adventure your favorite party setup after fighting or trying them, regardless of what you have to face in the future. This is something I will obviously not do for this sequel since I already know what party I want to use, and they don't introduce new Pokemon except the Ultra version of Lunala and Solgaleo, which don't appeal me at all. Also, having to retrain Pokemon that I already have trained is personally exhausting, even if they give easier ways to do so, because I would just rather grab the ones I already worked with. Also I enjoy visiting a new area for the first time and exploring it as if I never checked it, which if they just reuse the islands this won't happen except for new locations that they will put.

I said all that since I myself bought Black 2 in the past and I never finished it, as they just reused the villains we already fought before, went to a lot of the locations we already went in the prequel and frankly the story was meh and I had more fun dealing with the situations of the prequel. Of course they may pull out a completely different game that will not make me feel like I'm just doing the same as before, but honestly, the track record is not in their favor so far.

Also there's a Pokemon movie thing that basically gives you a battle script that you follow as if you're making a movie with Pokemon, which is pretty unique, and even though there's not a lot of flexibility, it's fun to make movies where a Ludicolo saves the world from Aliens.

I want to comment about this part, specially the bullshit involving it. Sure you can make fun movies with it, and will let you even use your own Pokemon if you've done it once and was successful. But this is one thing that they should have removed RNG. The bullshit I encountered here in which I followed the script of what the game wants me to do, only for the opponent to get a damn critical or me getting one, or specific effects triggering when they shouldn't have and screwing it all at the last minute is frankly enough to make me hate this thing. This should have been better as a puzzle or similar, don't add RNG to something that requires specific conditions for better score.
Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:44:17 pm by Nanashi_1337
#705  June 16, 2017, 02:06:00 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
You bring up some valid points about B2W2 reusing most of the same areas and stuff...

It's not a 1-for-1 retread as some paths that were closed off aren't any more, and there are a bunch of new areas to explore (I mean seriously, they added a HAUNTED HOUSE with a human ghost haunting it among other things). Something about it felt kinda neat, like Village Bridge for the main adventure rather than it being a post-game area.

And while I disliked the RNG aspect when it popped up in the movies bit, it didn't happen as frequently as you mentioned on my end.

One thing I didn't mention due to the fact that it's not as good as it used to be due to the wi-fi service going down and being forced to use only RNG'ed NPCs is Join Avenue, where you could set up booths to get extra items and you basically became the manager of a strip mall. It was pretty fun although now that it's impossible to use the wi-fi, its uses are aren't as great in the current age. (although I'll always be thankful to it for spawning my favorite obscure Pokemon meme)
#706  June 17, 2017, 01:57:41 am
I couldn't finish B2W2 because of how samey they were. I tried twice. They just aren't separate games, as much as they're trying to be. They're too different to be the same game, and not different enough to be separate games. It's really fucking jarring.
#707  August 06, 2017, 01:31:18 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:41:53 am by Kirishima
#708  August 06, 2017, 04:11:17 am
if this is a full retail game(which I am 100% sure it is), with little to no changes, im gonna be kinda pissed, I just picked up sun and moon. still gonna suck it up and pick the game up though, waay to big of a pokemon nerd not to.
Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:16:20 am by PeXXeR
#709  August 07, 2017, 01:20:44 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
lazily designed tbh but I get this form would be tricky. As obvious as it sounds through what this form is known as, Rockruff needs to evolve during sunset hours to achieve that form.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#710  August 07, 2017, 01:34:15 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
#711  August 09, 2017, 12:32:34 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
It's been revealed that Lycanroc-Dusk carries both Accelerock and Counter and has the ability Tough Claws.

EDIT 8/10: Lycanroc-Dusk is pure Rock and... I find this unfortunate... Event-Exclusive. There's going to a an event in USUM that distributes a Rockruff that evolves to only Lycanroc-Dusk.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:32:09 pm by DarkWolf13
#712  August 18, 2017, 07:24:41 pm

serebii.net said:
The next bit of data for Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon has been revealed with a new trailer showcasing various new aspects of the game including more areas on the map and overworld footage. It has also confirmed that there will be new Z Moves for specific Pokémon.

Among those with exclusive Z-moves include Kommo-o.  This new Dragon Z-move hits all opposing Pokemon while boosting all of Kommo-o's stats by 1

Also there is a new mode called "Alola Photo Club" allowing you to take photos in Z-poses with your Pokémon.

#713  August 19, 2017, 12:18:14 am
    • USA
Considering the new trailer tells us they have further information on which and how Rockruff evolves into this new Dusk for, I'm led to believe that no, it's not event exclusive, but the one given will meet the criteria needed.  Personally, I'm guessing that it's a new breeding tactic exclusive form.  Probably need to mix a Midday with a Midnight Lycanroc to get the Dusk form.  But I guess we'll see soon enough.

So, that new map shows a different kind of wormhole over Poni Island.  And it seems over the Battle Tree area, too.  Hint at post-game content maybe, going inside it?

Oh and new move for Kommo-o, cool.  I had intended on breeding a good one of those, but put it aside.  As good a time as any to get on it, I suppose.  The stat raises that come with its new move, isn't it just Ancient Power?  I mean, I would expect it's special Z move to come from the previous exclusive move it already knows, but I don't recall that being a special version of Ancient Power just for it, like Mewtwo's Psystrike to the regular Psyshock.
Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:22:11 am by Long John Killer
#714  September 12, 2017, 06:58:43 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org

Serebii.net said:
The first images from CoroCoro have leaked and have revealed the latest news on Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. As always, do note that translations are preliminary while we work on them. The image confirms that the forms shown on the boxarts are fusions of Solgaleo/Lunala and Necrozma when Necrozma absorbs the other Pokémon. The Solgaleo style one is called "Necrozma Mane of Twilight". Lunala's is "Necrozma Wings of Dawn". They have the signature moves of Solagelo & Lunala: Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam . We'll bring more as it comes.

We kinda already guessed this would be the case, but at least we're hearing SOMETHING about USUM.
#715  September 12, 2017, 07:43:01 pm
There's also the upcoming Nintendo Direct with even more details for USUM arriving.
#716  September 13, 2017, 03:31:24 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

The next images from CoroCoro have also come and have confirmed that Lycanroc is to get a special Z-Move called Radial Edge Storm which requires Lycanroc to know the move Stone Edge. It has a secondary effect that can eliminate Terrain effects. It can work on all forms of Lycanroc. It also confirms Rockruff that have the ability Own Tempo, which is currently only available from the distribution, can evolve into Dusk Form between 17:00 and 17:59 at Level 25. Only those Rockruff can evolve into Dusk Form Lycanroc.
#717  September 14, 2017, 12:54:24 am
    • Mexico
News from the Direct:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#718  September 14, 2017, 01:48:14 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
Im sorry but, did the new Ultra Beast just fucking dab in the trailer?
#719  September 14, 2017, 02:56:25 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#720  September 14, 2017, 04:16:30 am
    • USA
I am actually very happy at another chance at Celebi.  Celebi is for sure my favorite Pokémon, which sucks on getting it when it's a mythic, but stupid me didn't think to pay attention to the natures of the first three mythic Pokémon from last year's giveaways, and while Mew is doable and Jirachi is ok, I was genuinely upset I got a bad Celebi.  Fixing that this time for sure.

More Ultra Beasts are fine, but I'm not a fan of the clown Ultra Beast.  Both are bizarre, and I'm fine with the likes of Mr. Mime, but UB Burst here is just....odd.  Clowns are inhuman but they are not aliens, Game Freak.  Also watching it again, I'm not sure that's a dab so much as a crouching dramatic pose while tilting it's "hat" down.  Like some weird mix between Clint Eastwood and Naruto.