YesNoOk

T_N's long and rocky road (Read 197150 times)

Started by The_None, November 15, 2015, 02:25:36 pm
Re: T_N's long and rocky road
#121  September 05, 2017, 11:45:09 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends/

Tried upscaling the Ninja from Guardian Heroes as a warm-up for the idea I've once considered - doing characters from other Treasure games while trying to emulate the (upscaled) GH style, but with how that came out I'm not actually not sure would I have the courage to pull that off. Maybe it's me but I think I may have failed to grasp the lightning angle despite trying my best to follow the original sprite's shading, emulating that shading is quite tricky anyways with how stylized it is anyway.

There's also the case of me using to be a bit clueless of what more detail shall I add at this scale but I did actually stumble upon Ginjirou's concept sketch somewhere some time after when I've already traced the original sprite with vectors, so me possibly going back to redo this sprite is not out of question. Who knows.

Hopefully it wouldn't take me too long to pick who shall I sprite next.....
#122  September 09, 2017, 06:58:53 pm
I would have made both a simply Magic-themed Geese and a Shadow The Hedgehog as separate characters <<but I ended up sort of merging these two ideas together>>
Speaking of Magic Geese.....

If I only had a bit more time and motivation to actually practice spriting before I started actually working on Magic Geese his taunt would have certainly been that. Perhaps for the more cartoonish things (that need to be shaded) I should have tried assuming the sprite to be lit by default and add in the shadows rather than what I did there with assuming the base to be unlit and add in lights, but I'd guess the way I did may have given a little bit of attempted consistency with the CVS shading or something
#123  September 17, 2017, 02:08:08 am

It took me quite a while since I've posted there because while I did this around few years ago there's something that makes me doubt I did a good job on upscaling another Guardian Heroes character (Randy M. Green in this case). I'm especially concerned about hsi face as I'm not quite sure did I do a good enough job with it, would really like some feedback or even just some sign that I did somehow fine enough with the face before I'd move on trying to pull off the style with characters outside of GH. Or I would just go on to try another style, I dunno.
#124  September 17, 2017, 02:37:14 am
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
What the drang heck is this?
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#125  September 17, 2017, 10:44:12 pm
Man I was so hopefull that I'd finally get an iformative reply or something (not like I can expect much given this forum) but all I got was someone webcrawling and digging up a sprite I did around 9 years ago. Still, I would elaborate on what's the deal with this sprite.

One of a number of characters I did back on my Most_Mysterious days that I've never released (nor even revealed until I did the more recent sprite) was a shoe with square eyes and a disembodied boxing glove. The character was actually one of my earlier 3DSMax experiments, in that I took the Shoe model off a Jedi Outcast model (Kyle Kattarn if my memory doesn't fool me), applied a basic wooden texture to it, and added in the meshes for the square eyes, a grin (for few frames) and a silly red cel-shaded model that tried to pass off as a boxing glove but ended up looking more like a poorly modeled foam finger. As for the more recent sprite itself, I've traced over one of my own shoes for a reference, with the rest being drawn from scratch.

On retrospect I should've envisioned it more as an anthropomorphic Boot rather than a Shoe as such shoe would pose a problem of either being too short or too wide. I'd guess I was always learning.

I had a nice front reference for the Kendogu then I've attempted a 3/4 view of it. Then I tried to do a from-top shading on it. Still wondering did I mess up somewhere, as cool as it turned out.
#126  September 17, 2017, 11:11:08 pm
  • What's a title
  • Novice M.U.G.E.N. creator
    • USA
    • sites.google.com/site/rmaster007smugensite/
I found it by copying the link from one of the sprites you posted.
Spriting is harder than I thought.
#127  September 18, 2017, 12:30:33 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Man I was so hopeful that I'd finally get an informative reply or something (not like I can expect much given this forum)

I'll try to give you one, at least based on my observations.

From what I've seen, there always seems to be an unfinished sort of look to your sprites. Like... I dunno if this would be a good way to describe it, but they seem to always be in the "on the way to clean up" stage rather than the "hey look bitches, I'm refined as fuck, stick your tongue out" kinda stage?

Like, lets take a look at the top sprite of this page, The Ninja dude from Guardian Heroes, and just to make it more specific his face, because I don't want to go through the entire sprite.

Like, in comparison with his original sprites which I had to look up bc I never even heard of this game, it lacks detail in almost everything. Considering that you upscaled it from a smaller sprite, you need a bit more detail and refinement on that to make it look readable.

So I did this by referencing his official art and his in game portraits:

(just a heads up, I'm not all that, so maybe I messed up a thing or two. Or I'm being too harsh on myself. But its probably the first)

See how adding a bit more detail to a sprite of that scale makes it more readable and better-looking? I feel like most of your sprites need that a lot, and theyll be greato.

Somebody always posts this round here, its pretty informative: It has a special section of terms to know and things to avoid. There is also Kiwi RGB's 2D Will Never Die site, which is a haven for good stuff in pixel art.

And I dunno how much this next part will help you, but maybe look up a spriter's stream (like Diepod and AbyssWolf) and just see how someone who's good at pixel art does things? It kinda helped me, maybe it'll help you?

I wish I can say more, but that's really all I can get my brain to think of and its currently pulsating in pain because I don't use it often. Hopefully it helps even if by a percent.
This is a generic forum signature.
#128  January 16, 2018, 06:15:07 pm
    • UK
How's it going? It's been 4 months since the last post, and why did Zorak know about Franko?
#129  May 06, 2018, 09:56:30 pm
To put a long story short, as much as I hoped to continue on the graphics practice I ended up losing my motivation to continue on due to a myriad of factors - including how much I was unimpressed with how my GH upscales came out - to the point that I've at first thought I wouldn't ever feel like spriting agiain until I ended up doing that one character I did for this year's april fools. Even after that however for weeks I had a hard time picking who I'd sprite for a practice next (despite making up a text list for potential ideas and amassing around 80 entries), so I figured I would have picked up what I started many months ago (see below) and that still took me plenty of weeks before I managed to get myself to churn out the today's result. I have a feeling sorting out some personal issues may be in order.

Another OC that I don't expect to make into a full standalone Mugen character in a foreseeable future but nonetheless would be certainly be a part of one of the settings I've envisioned alongside the Kendogu fellow I did many months ago. I've at first took one of these Andrew Loomis models and drew what would be an outfit on top of the front view, and after a week of trying to figure out what more I could do to the design (for most of which I barely did much) I just went ahead to pose the vectors into a stance. I ended up having to adjust the arms and legs a bit after how the proportions made the 'character' look a bit lanky compared to the usually more stylized 2D fighter characters. I tried using stances of Zantetsu's and Talbain's for a mild inspiration for the stance, and if I'd somehow feel like going back to my earlier sprites I wouldn't mind doing some more to the pose, I just wanted to finally have something for this thread after many months of inactivity.

I haven't sprited and shaded in a long time and if you'd ask me it really shows.
#130  May 07, 2018, 09:18:04 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I always enjoy seeing your work in this section. I like that the styles a little different from what I usually see.

Are you using a mouse or tablet to make these sprites?
#131  May 12, 2018, 11:33:27 pm
I'm a mouse user. I may have considered getting a tablet a few times before but so far I may be doing mostly relatively fine, especially given that nowadays I work with vectors so setting up the curves and stuff isn't that much of an issue, or that may as well just be me babbling.

Sorry for having you wait so long for a simple answer but sometimes I prefer to come back to the topic when I'd get anything new to show off. On the subject of....

....allow me to shock the world on this one

For this one I started with first tracing vectors on top of the front view of an Andrew Loomis model (that I also used for my previous sprite) and then fiddling with the vectors to turn the ideal male into a chubby one. (As much as I did a decent job chubbifying the model, I realized that the guy sort of looks a bit slimmer than the real thing that actually existed. The ShockMaster is the name, look him up if you somehow haven't heard about him) Then I tried my best to turn the model into the 3/4 perspective and posed it into the stance. For the shading I tried to do the similar way I/Balth did with Dink, and I have a feeling I would perhaps try seeking another shading style that I'd be able to nail, maybe it's just the combination of me not shading things in a while and simply me not being used to shade this sort of bodytype.

I have even went far enough to add in a little bit of glitter to his helmet, something I don't expect to carry over whenever I'd feel like actually making The Shockmaster into the full character, but nonetheless....
Spoiler: Unshaded and unglittered version in case someone more competent than me at shading would take on doing that one in hopes I'd be able to learn from one (click to see content)
Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 11:43:12 pm by The_None
#132  May 13, 2018, 03:34:08 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Nothing wrong with using a mouse. I use both a tablet and mouse now. Getting a tablet helped me with animations, it really changed everything for me. I was going to say if you had a tablet, to try out the method in my signature. I know it’s not for everyone but it’s worth experimenting with. (It’s best used for animations.)

If I get some free time I’ll play with that unshaded sprite.
#133  May 15, 2018, 12:05:49 am
So here's one of the most pointless things I've ever done....

I just took a Body Blows character (the left is the original sprite, right is what I did), sort of clumsily redrew it (I started this literally two hours before I went to sleep) and tried to give it a more 'streamlined' shading style so to speak. Kind of like, if I took a SF2 sprite and tried to give it SFA shading, sort of.

The face was certainly quite an area where I was like "I have no idea what I was doing" then again I'd guess same can be said of most of my sprite.
#134  June 01, 2018, 09:44:40 pm
....allow me to shock the world on this one

I wasn't going to comment on any of this until I saw this one sprite. I can't believe you managed to botch this one. It must sting a little.

In all seriousness you've got some latent spriting potential and I'm definitely gonna follow your stuff. (Big fan of your other work by the way.)

#135  July 04, 2018, 01:33:30 pm

Inspired by Card Sagas Wars - or at least what was left of it - recently resurfacing, I felt like taking my stab once again at doing a small super deformed sprite and taking my UMMBCM (an abandoned fullgame whose cast comprised mostly of self-inserts of the authors involved) character for a subject, with the previous redesign attempts included in the image for a good measure. For today's take I took some cues from Ahruon's more recent sprites (the ones from his Tumblr and stuff) rather than strictly following the NGPC style, hence I ended up messing up his right hand among things. And yes, the 2018 Double M is supposed to wear an oversized T-shirt.
#136  September 16, 2018, 08:36:58 pm
Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:31:47 pm by The_None
#137  September 17, 2018, 11:14:25 am
The body of the blue guy seems more square-ish than its original look in the video.

Also I tried making that character you wanted to revamp in CSW myself:

Process:
Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:51:22 pm by AlexSin
#138  October 06, 2018, 09:18:55 pm

James Rolfe and Mike getting into Mugen with a video prompted me to do another attempt at the NES-esque reendition of The Fuckin' Nerd himself. Tried to sort of follow the NES palette limit but when I got around adding him the Power Glove I ended up having to break the 4-color limit to give it a unique outline color to make it easier to stand out from his shirt. Oh well.
#139  February 25, 2019, 11:19:39 pm

I tried to give the DopeFish (strange why I somehow didn't think up of re-releasing him since my site went out of the "under construction" stage years ago) the 3/4 view (the middle sprite, the front and side views are what he had in Commander Keen IV sprites to begin with) and..... well, either I tried to bite way more than I could chew or maybe it's just me not doing pixel graphics in a looong while.
#140  March 20, 2019, 10:44:32 pm

As an experiment I actually took a 3D model (Johnny Cage from iOS MKX), edited the diffuse textures myself into much simpler ones that mostly use solid colors, rendered the model in Blender with the material being shadeless and unfiltered, painted in his face and the shading by myself. With that said as I was doing this it became quite apparent fast that I haven't done graphics in a loooong while and it really shows, maybe it's just me tho'