YesNoOk

Last game you finished + 4 lines review.  (Read 1161207 times)

Started by Santtu, May 30, 2010, 07:06:56 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you finished + 4 lines review.
#2301  September 25, 2017, 04:15:32 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
After 13, 10, 7 or even 1 year(s) after a "quality" Metroid game, depending on your preference, 3 weeks is a short wait.  Trust me, it'll be worth the wait to experience it in full at your leisure.

...To then experience it at your fastest speed possible, if you're aiming at that full secret ending.  Not that YouTube doesn't already have all this up there and one would look.  That would be cheating and dishonest of a true Metroid fan.

I still intend to 100% this game, though.  Doing so unlocks additional lore, and if 100% completing Dark Souls has taught me anything, it's that deeper lore is a good incentive.
#2302  September 25, 2017, 04:36:59 am
I actually played Zero Mission for the first time earlier this year, so I'm not all that starved. And I'll be beating it 100%, but probably not going for the speedrun trophy.

Haven't played AM2R yet but I intend to get to that as well (I didn't have access to my PC this summer, otherwise I would have in anticipation of this).

edit: 'trophy'. Shit, my Sony fanboyism is showing. You know what I mean. XD
#2303  September 25, 2017, 04:59:12 am
    • USA
If you still intend a run through of AM2R, go for the updated version of it, if you can.    I haven't had reason to search for a redownload, as I didn't have the issue myself, but apparently a number of players (Who were stupidly fast, I guess) who went all the way and reached the Gravity Suit shortly after the initial release found the game completely bugged out and removed Samus from the screen while playing after getting it.  The update patched that out.  A really quick bug hunt and fix, now that I think of it and the time restraints between AM2R's release and it's DMCA from Nintendo.  Huh.

Spoiler: As for speedrunning spoilers (click to see content)
#2304  September 25, 2017, 05:10:53 am
I have 1.1 saved. Not sure if any versions were put out after that.
#2305  September 25, 2017, 05:12:20 am
    • USA
That should be all you need.  And to my knowledge, all DoctorM64 put out before getting shut down.  Anything beyond that is fan work being done on top of fan work by other sources.  You should be good then.
#2306  September 25, 2017, 05:21:58 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I'm only a few hours into Samus Returns, but I'm liking it a lot more than AM2R. Don't get me wrong, AM2R obviously had a ton of love and effort put into it, and it's a really incredible achievement, but... Samus Returns is the real thing, whereas AM2R often felt like a (very very impressive) Zero Mission mod. Samus Returns makes a lot of interesting gameplay choices (like the counter stuff and Aeion abilities) that make it feel really fresh, while also helping to smooth out the somewhat awkward nature of Metroid 2's map and game progression (which I felt that AM2R was too faithful to, to its detriment).

The only really negative things I can say about Samus Returns at this point is that they have Fusion style wall jumping (boo!) and (this is incredibly minor in the grand scheme of things) some of the sound effect, (especially spin jumping, sound off to me.
#2307  September 25, 2017, 05:51:47 am
    • USA
Conversely, I felt more at home in the beginning parts of AM2R but liked Samus Return's end portion better.  Though I feel Samus Returns did the fast travel option better, to be honest.  Something I do miss from AM2R are the fun little gimmick machines that made the place look more....I dunno, lived-in?  Controlling that sentry-bot as a morph ball, using the water pipes, Samus Returns has a lot of background Chozo detail to ogle at but not so much to interact with, other than the overarching locking mechanism that you interact with while killing Metroids.

I totally know what you mean about sound effects, though for me it's more about the sounds guns or just weapons in general make.  I blame Halo for making me stuck on that point of interest, the more things are closer to reality the less they sound real for the game.  In this game, though, they just don't have that deep impact that draws your attention.  And an arm cannon's simply just not an arm cannon if you don't feel like you should be causing utter destruction with every shot.  Usually, though, it's because your attention is placed on something else that's good.

In a completely and totally unrelated manner, dude, your avatar is freaky as hell, man.
Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:56:05 am by Long John Killer
#2308  September 25, 2017, 05:55:13 am
Quick question: It is worth playing both, yeah?

I don't know how much original content is in either but I'm guessing at least some?
#2309  September 25, 2017, 06:05:48 am
    • USA
Both have a great deal of new content.  AM2R more faithful to the original's design but expanding it with new expansions to the previous areas and what little lore there was prior they really dived head-first into with a whole logbook to read while Samus Returns more took the initial idea and went in another direction with it, reaching the same end.  As a fan, I say yes, both are worth playing.  I don't know about one directly following the other, though, they are both essentially just telling the same story.  Give it a little time between them.
#2310  September 27, 2017, 10:25:12 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
Shantae: Half Genie Hero(Switch)

A really good game...that is waay too short. And I don't really like how the characters are barely involved this time around(as opposed to Pirate's Curse when they had tons more depth then they have in this game)
The gameplay is as good as ever and the soundtrack is amazing (not a fan of the new boss theme however). The transformations and the exploration they add are cool too.

7/10(wasn't there supposed to be extra character stories coming out? i know of Pirate Queen's Quest but that's just a reskin of the main story)
#2311  September 30, 2017, 05:28:28 pm
  • "I'm...The Champion"
    • USA
Devil May Cry 3
NOTE: NEVER play Heaven Or Hell Mode.No matter how tough you are,you gonna die in one hit.
Finish in Hard with Vergil.
#2312  September 30, 2017, 05:54:07 pm
That's the purpose of the mode. Both you and your enemies die in one hit. I found it easier than Dante Must Die, I just had to adapt my playstyle a bit.
#2313  September 30, 2017, 09:15:20 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Hiveswap:  Act 1

The mythical Homestuck adventure game finally came out, and it actually turned out really good.  It definitely met its stated goal of recapturing the nostalgic feeling of classic, DOS-era adventure games without the frustrating, esoteric bullshit that always accompanied them.  The puzzles are designed well enough to be intuitive and challenging without resorting to the old adventure game trope of "guess what the developer's apophenia came up with."  The artwork is fantastic, with beautiful environments and well animated characters.

The writing does a great job of capturing the feel of Homestuck as well (which makes sense, since Andrew Hussie did all the writing for the game), but you don't actually need to have read Homestuck to be able to enjoy the game.  Sure, if you haven't read Homestuck you probably won't be able to figure out what a moirail or a strife specibus is, but it manages to stand on its own.  The UI in particular really gives the impression that you're playing the same game that Homestuck framed itself as, right down to the needlessly confusing nomenclature for basic gaming conventions (i.e. equipping a new STRIFE WEAPON adds an additional ABILITECH to your TECHNICHE.)  Although, thankfully the FETCH MODUS the playable characters use to store and retrieve items from their SYLLADEX  is significantly less complicated than the ones from Homestuck.

The first act is a little on the short side (about 3 hours, 3 1/2 if you're taking your time), but for only 8 bucks I'd say you get your money's worth.
Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:18:46 pm by Person Man
#2314  October 01, 2017, 04:05:40 am
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Lost Sphear Demo

The demo was short but its defiantly similar to its predecessor I am Setsuna but with a more autumn scenario graphical look.
Also point of the story could be to save the world from disappearing and finding the reason why the lands are dissolving.
The music still very soothing like a lullaby. Yes, it may put you to sleep.
Fishing mechanic is very simple nothing of challenging there but to press a button when the time is right. Still a nice little feature they added.
The two mini bosses weren't that difficult to beat in the demo. Which was a tab bit upsetting but i believe it was near the beginning of the game so everything is easy around that time.
I've seen items shine underwater in the world which mean you may be able to cruise around in a boat traveling to different lands.
Imo nothing amazing should be expected when its released next year. Just another average jrpg.
#2315  October 05, 2017, 06:14:39 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES Classic)
Man I just made this game my bitch. 006 w/ 20 hearts and everything done. Why 006? I never died! Unfortunately the game counts saving and quitting as dying (which was corrected in the GBA version). So it counted these:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Also my completion speed was needlessly fast.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2316  October 06, 2017, 04:07:03 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Fallout 2

Loved it.

It's basically Fallout 1, but a lot more finished and hilarious.

Pretty goddamn brutal though. Late game combat is a bitch no matter how you spec. A word of advice for anyone thinking of playing it: read everything and never ever throw any items away.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#2317  October 14, 2017, 06:26:16 pm
  • Eyyyy
    • UK
Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn (PS3)

Finished the last story chapter of Ultimate Mode (which was balls hard, I mean wow) and all of Official mode. I just got most of the Ultimate Mode medals to do and the achievements.

Also I love Reborn's map style, they're actually now varied in terms of layout which is good because DWG3's maps were almost Final Fantasy XIII levels of hallway. Not good for a DW game if you ask me, just feels like a football stadium brawl and not a huge war.

And playable mobile armours too. But I hate how some Utlimate Mode medals require the use of certain mobile suits, and on one hand the mook mobile suits are already usable...just not certain ones. If the game's feeling merciful it'll let you switch to the pilot that can use a medal-eligible mobile suit so you can get that out of the way but other times said pilot is either not unlocked yet or not allowed in that Ultimate mode chapter (On that note, Uso Ewin is the fucking worst along with both Kiras) so you have to go to another Utlimate chapter as that pilot and play as them a whole bunch to unlock that machine for everyone's use. If the game's nice, it only requires 3 or 5 plays but for the worst shit like Strike Freedom or the V2 Gundam, you gotta play as them 1 times and the quickest way about this is playing that fucking first mission in "Master the Simulator" over and over, which, the other night, I had to do a total of 30. Ten times as Cagalli in Strike Rouge, 10 times as Neo in Akatsuki and 10 as Uso in the 2 and fuck off Uso you stupid little bastard.

Unlocking MSes sucks too sometimes, especially when I went to unlock Strike Freedom for everone else. To unlock that, had to unlock Seed Destiny Kira for use in Utlimate mode (either that or play some Seed Destiny Official mode missions a shitload) and to unlock SD Kira I had to complete a certain mission as Strike Gundam. Okay so swap to Seed Kira and- nah Seed Kira's unselectable for that chapter so I had to play as Strike Gundam in othermissions 10 times. Its a drag.

At least the DLC is awesome. Everyone talks about Literally Winged Zero and Full Armour Unicorn but I say Dendrobium Stamen tells them to fuck right off.
There was a sig here. Its gone now (thanks photobucket ya fecks)
#2318  October 14, 2017, 11:13:12 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)
Completed everything from Vanilla Dome 1 to the ending today. Including Star Road and Special World. You know how everyone says Tubular sucks? No, Outrageous is the cockmongler. I died 22 or so times on that level. >:(

Super Mario Kart (SNES Classic)
150cc all golds done. Never managed to do that before! This game really doesn't fuck around though, trying to do Bowser's Castle 3 on 150cc with Bowser is painful. And then there's Rainbow Road on 150cc. This game really puts your balls in a vice grip at times.

EDIT:
F-Zero (SNES Classic)
Master mode....surprisingly wasn't as bad as expert. It's just weird having someone on your tail constantly, and one fuckup dropping you 3 places being a thing constantly is real worrying. The only crappy thing is even though you get a short cutscene after each cup, you don't get a single thing after beating all of it. Still feels rewarding though.
Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:11:37 am by Orochi Gill
#2319  October 15, 2017, 10:54:00 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
This game really doesn't fuck around though, trying to do Bowser's Castle 3 on 150cc with Bowser is painful.
Trying to do anything with Bowser/DK Jr was painful because their acceleration was just way too damn awful to the point they were pretty much unplayable.
#2320  October 26, 2017, 07:50:40 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Cuphead
Great game. as a fan of shmup/run n guns, Boss rushes and old cartoons it was perfect to me.

Last boss was a big pain though, but when I beat him, it was GLORIOUS, I didn't even get hit!