YesNoOk

KOF XIII Maximilian Meyers and Maxy Meyers (Boxers Chars) (Read 43057 times)

Started by Mastertkof, October 22, 2017, 03:12:39 am
Share this topic:
KOF XIII Maximilian Meyers and Maxy Meyers (Boxers Chars)
#1  October 22, 2017, 03:12:39 am
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
Something like father and dawther, at the style of Takuma and Yuri
but with other kind of moves

a attempt to learn a way to do a full char in XII/XIII style based on SNK PLAYMORE method

1- Work on a blender scene with the light configuration for the project
2- Render the model with the defalt pal
3- aply the "pal1" him first palete and base
4- rework with pixel art, fixing and changing pixels and lines to fit the style

Atual Process:

step1= idea of animations

step2= Render the model on the pose

step3= manual work

step4 = manual fixing minor issues

ps: if you going to sugest moves, do like xiao xiao sketchs
like i do
step 1 the xiao xiao sketch

Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:42:22 pm by Anderson Masters
Re: KOF XII/XIII BOXER CHARACTER (Developing the model)
#2  October 24, 2017, 07:48:38 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
Changes in the model

New Concept

New size
#3  October 24, 2017, 09:08:37 pm
    • Brazil
Your project looks very promising. :D
Good luck!
#4  October 25, 2017, 01:11:50 am
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
#5  October 25, 2017, 01:29:21 am
These renders will need a lot of cleaning to look like passable KOFXII sprites.

From the top of my head you're dealing with too many stray pixels due to topology issues, your shadows aren't ray-traced (a massively important part of the XII look), and the shadows/ineffectual palette make your colours bleed into palette entries of the wrong shades.

I can't help you much in regards to topology versus stylized end-products, so you have to find the closest 3D match to whatever 2D style you'd like to reduce the amount of editing you have to do.

To help with the last two entries maybe switch to ray-traced shadows and/or make the palette you use to catch your colours three-fold.  The first pass is a larger palette that ensures no colour bleeding happens, second pass is running that through a program with the reduced colours placed properly in an identically sized palette to sort things, then third is loading those sprites through the final palette.  Do your edits after the final pass.
#6  October 25, 2017, 04:11:04 am
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Actually, the main thing is that you're letting the 3D software pick out the midtones.

If you look at SNK's 3D models, you'll see they're flat shaded with really hard outlines. There's only one color for lit areas and only one color for areas in shadow. See below:

The midtones as well as the adjustment to the outlines are all done manually by an artist. You're going to have a hard time matching that automatically because the software will go for realism and what you really want is to go for aesthetics, which is tough to teach the software to do.

I like your model, but I would probably give him even a bit MORE muscle. He's a boxer after all, so his arms and torso should be bigger than those of Ryo (perhaps something in between Ryo and Ralf?). Another thing you need to work on is your posing. The movements are stiff and a bit robotic. You have to consider things like windup, follow-through, inertia, etc...

I promise this is all constructive stuff. Your work is very promising!
#7  October 25, 2017, 01:43:50 pm
We're both right on this, to be fair.  SNK did go 2-tone, yes, but we have more control over midtones now since those games were made.

If you're rendering midtones you have either a lot more (or a lot less) editing based on how you went about setting up your material/smoothing groups to force the renderer to draw lines for certain details.  That and change your lights to render ray-traced shadows to lose the blurry drop shadow edges.

There's no true shortcut for any of this if you're going to be dropping big names like KOFXII as your inspiration, sadly.
#8  October 25, 2017, 03:02:26 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
These renders will need a lot of cleaning to look like passable KOFXII sprites.

From the top of my head you're dealing with too many stray pixels due to topology issues, your shadows aren't ray-traced (a massively important part of the XII look), and the shadows/ineffectual palette make your colours bleed into palette entries of the wrong shades.

I can't help you much in regards to topology versus stylized end-products, so you have to find the closest 3D match to whatever 2D style you'd like to reduce the amount of editing you have to do.

To help with the last two entries maybe switch to ray-traced shadows and/or make the palette you use to catch your colours three-fold.  The first pass is a larger palette that ensures no colour bleeding happens, second pass is running that through a program with the reduced colours placed properly in an identically sized palette to sort things, then third is loading those sprites through the final palette.  Do your edits after the final pass.

Thanks by the feedback and, agreed! i will test the shadows with raytraced method, about the char and animations, this is not finished, so, i can change alot of things or, everything, idk.

Actually, the main thing is that you're letting the 3D software pick out the midtones.

If you look at SNK's 3D models, you'll see they're flat shaded with really hard outlines. There's only one color for lit areas and only one color for areas in shadow. See below:

The midtones as well as the adjustment to the outlines are all done manually by an artist. You're going to have a hard time matching that automatically because the software will go for realism and what you really want is to go for aesthetics, which is tough to teach the software to do.

I like your model, but I would probably give him even a bit MORE muscle. He's a boxer after all, so his arms and torso should be bigger than those of Ryo (perhaps something in between Ryo and Ralf?). Another thing you need to work on is your posing. The movements are stiff and a bit robotic. You have to consider things like windup, follow-through, inertia, etc...

I promise this is all constructive stuff. Your work is very promising!

Thanks! and agreed about the model muscles,  about the snk classic method, we have alot of good shaders now, and i'll try to configure someone to gimme more than 3 colors, but if it keep going on wrong, i can try to remake all in the same old style. about posing and animations, this is not the focus now, i will finishh first the model, and the concepts. anyway thank you very much!

We're both right on this, to be fair.  SNK did go 2-tone, yes, but we have more control over midtones now since those games were made.

If you're rendering midtones you have either a lot more (or a lot less) editing based on how you went about setting up your material/smoothing groups to force the renderer to draw lines for certain details.  That and change your lights to render ray-traced shadows to lose the blurry drop shadow edges.

There's no true shortcut for any of this if you're going to be dropping big names like KOFXII as your inspiration, sadly.

this will really have alot of sprite editing, something like 30~80% of each sprite, so, we can try to do the scene, so close as possible of the XII, XIII original sprites, i can handly with one or two sprites, but, this is a char, no way to do all from sketch, without lose the body proportions and shadings areas, the 3d model is really necessary, and i will try to make it so usefull as possible, i will edit the model and lights, and post it here back for more feedback before think about posing or animations.

new tests

Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:02:18 pm by Anderson Masters
#9  October 25, 2017, 11:52:26 pm
Ah, I see.  So you're going for a realistic material/shader and just breaking up the tones of each colour using a palette.

You start with something like this:

Then apply your palette(s) and clean it up.

Using 3 blended non-photorealistic materials in Max I can start with:

And have to do far less editing.

I'm not sure about the limitations of Blender (if any), but maybe do some research on non-photorealistic materials/shaders to save yourself a headache.
#10  October 26, 2017, 12:31:40 am
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
I understand your point, and i've use it on some tests, but i'm searching for a configuration like guilty gear xrd now

this method (older test)
works fine on stand and alot of moves, but is not cool for rotating or horizontal kicks frames
pure render (no edits)
starting to fixing lines and shadeswith some changes in pal

maybe soon i post my new changes (still working in the scene and models, lights, and alot of minor details)
#11  October 26, 2017, 12:48:48 am
I understand your point, and i've use it on some tests, but i'm searching for a configuration like guilty gear xrd now

Make up your mind, first it was Blazblue, then KOFXIII and now Guilty Gear Xrd; which is it? They're all completely different from each other in terms of shading and proportions.
#12  October 26, 2017, 12:56:20 am
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil

Make up your mind, first it was Blazblue, then KOFXIII and now Guilty Gear Xrd; which is it? They're all completely different from each other in terms of shading and proportions.
i'm talking about shader configuration (outline color, in draw color, oclusion, difuse and specular) no about rendering in the same atyle at all, just trying to mimic the tool, not the style
#13  October 26, 2017, 03:35:10 am
If you're working in Blender you can't do something they did in a totally different engine.  The two environments aren't alike at all.  The method you're using now requires that you pick a style, get it as close to the source of said style as possible (if not completely original), and do something.
#14  October 26, 2017, 07:44:00 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
If you're working in Blender you can't do something they did in a totally different engine.  The two environments aren't alike at all.  The method you're using now requires that you pick a style, get it as close to the source of said style as possible (if not completely original), and do something.

is almost the same tools, but the environments really change alot, but i no need to use blender, maybe 3ds or any other
i will do more tests before start the 2d part of project, at now... i'm on this

Concept:

3D Base:

#15  October 27, 2017, 06:54:57 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
girl poser finished

back to man poser now.
#16  October 27, 2017, 11:55:20 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
Boxer man model and scene finished

i'm actually pretty happy with this result, is this that i have in mind, and is this that i will use.
it gimme:
proportions, anatomy, shadow, highlight, midtones...

some showcase:
the stand posed render 1

in other pose to check the size of model

trying some dynamic move to test shadows

a new comparison:
in left and in right of Robert, is the same model, with the same camera, changing only the position of the model

the "3d" work is almost finished
now is pose bones, render, and manual finish sprite by sprite (the char will have something like 500~800 sprites)
#17  October 28, 2017, 02:56:32 am
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
first move (or no)
just a first test with stand

Re: KOF XII/XIII Boxer Char (ANIMATIONS NOW) Need moves sugestions!!!
#18  October 28, 2017, 04:14:11 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
Boxer Man concept finished (it really need a name) :shocked3:
first post actualized

#19  October 28, 2017, 05:07:30 pm
#20  October 29, 2017, 10:26:39 pm
  • me
  • a guy who makes art
    • Brazil
some more retouches and fixes
and we will have a stand