YesNoOk

Last game you finished + 4 lines review.  (Read 1207160 times)

Started by Santtu, May 30, 2010, 07:06:56 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Last game you finished + 4 lines review.
#2321  November 03, 2017, 05:15:13 pm
South Park: The Stick of Truth

This was a good game. Not a great game. The interface got in the way a lot, the combat ran out of the steam by the end, and overall there were a lot of places to improve. It's very much worth playing but it's far from perfect. Reminds me a lot of Mario RPGs, specifically the Mario & Luigi games, but M-rated. Kinda surprised it was so short though, if I knew that ahead of time I'd have knocked it off my backlog ages ago.

I'm expecting good things from the sequel.
#2322  November 06, 2017, 01:55:11 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Doki Doki Literature Club

I'm starting to think the internet tricked me into playing one of these cutesy anime dating sims by saying that it's secretly a psychological horror game.

Fucking NOPE.  Not a trick.  No tricks here.  This is one of the most genuinely upsetting horror games I've played in a long time.  It's hard to talk about it too much without giving away what makes it so effective, but it does a fantastic job of manipulating the player by taking advantage of what you think you know about the tropes and mechanics of the genre.  It does something that I really love to see games try to do, in that it exploits the nature of video games as a medium and everything that entails to enrich the experience.

Spoiler: Talking about it too much and giving away what makes it so effective (click to see content)

TL;DR - Cutesy anime dating sim turns out to secretly be a super effective psychological horror game.  I'd recommend it if you're into that kind of thing.
#2323  November 06, 2017, 03:09:30 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
super effective psychological horror game.

Really!? I wouldn't even call this a horror game, but i guess it works for some.

The only thing that got my attention was the interaction with the game files, that was really clever by the devs.

Lasagna
Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:14:20 am by -Ash-
#2324  November 07, 2017, 04:00:21 am
Kirby's Dream Land 3

I had this game on WiiU Virtual Console from ages and ages ago, and I thought I beat it there, but I didn't. So now I did. In my opinion, this is one of the SNES's overlooked gems. It's the last time we see the animal companions in a Kirby game, and it has a stylized pastel look that the games haven't seen since. That said, I wasn't prepared for the game to get wicked fucking hard in the last couple worlds. SNES games. God damn. The phrase 'precise hamster walljumping' entered my vocabulary. I was expecting an easy time with a game that looks this adorable, but NOPE.

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land

I picked up a whole bunch of WiiU Virtual Console games a couple days ago and this was one of them. It's Kirby. It's real good. Pretty easy but pretty fun and fast-paced, like most Kirby games are. Nothing really to say here. Until the recent 3DS stuff, the GBA games were some of the best Kirby-ing around.
#2325  November 07, 2017, 11:11:42 am
god of war chains of olympus.
very good, i liked the new weapons and the different animations for some of the moves. i liked the gauntlet the most, punching monsters has never been this satisfying. its a shame you get halfway through the game tho. the efreet is by far the most badass magic attack in god of war. its like kratos' stand, he appears from him and burns everyone around with fierce explosions.
the bosses were fun to fight, not very challenging tho.
even tho kratos is a very hard character to sympathize with, i really liked the story with his daughter and how he had to give up on her to save the world. its a very tragic story and it shows you how his resentment to the gods first manifested.
unfortunately tho, the game is short. it is a psp game after all but atleast make it 8 hours, i finished this game in 6.
8/10
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:29:00 pm by Gennos
#2326  November 18, 2017, 11:08:20 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Sonic Forces

I got curious, so I went ahead and gave this game a shot.  After playing it all the way through, I'd describe it as "fine."  It's not some mind-blowing return to form for Sonic, but it's nowhere near as catastrophic as most recent offerings.  The controls could use a bit of tightening up, a lot of the levels feel way too short and there's not enough of them to go around, but on the whole I wouldn't describe anything in the game as objectively bad.  The OC creator is fine if you're willing to put in the effort to make your Original the Character not suck, and the way that the avatar is handled as far as the story goes will probably make a lot of kids and fans happy.

Not a great game, but not really a bad one either.  If you're willing to ignore the maelstrom of internet hyperbole that surrounds every Sonic game, you'll probably have a good time with Forces.
#2327  November 23, 2017, 12:34:16 pm
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

I don't know why I liked this game? In my head this was one of the better Kirby games, but on replaying it it's pretty much just trash. It tried to be a Metroidvania and failed pretty miserably, though it got better near the end. It was frustratingly hard in the beginning, which is not something Kirby should ever be.

Kirby: Squeak Squad

It's okay. There are better Kirby games, but this one is fine.

...Thus ends the retro Kirby marathon. What will I play next? Will I ever have free time again?! Tune in next time to find out.
#2328  December 10, 2017, 04:12:33 am
I finally got around to playing Limbo. It's very good. It got frustratingly difficult and obtuse in a couple of places near the end, but the first 75-80% of the game was incredible. I would have liked some kind of story payoff too, but I can't be that mad at a game that made me feel that good for that much of my playtime, even if the ending was a bit disappointing. Y'all should play it if you're silly like me and never played it when it was popular. It's short and well worth it, there's more to it than its artstyle.
#2329  December 10, 2017, 04:29:40 am
  • YADANA... SI USU...
    • USA
    • grimwatson1@gmail.com
Horizon : Zero Dawn. Bought it in April, Finished it Last Night. Great Story, Not Much Replay Value.  Aloy would be a great guest char in the upcoming Soul Calibur game, imo. :)
#2330  December 15, 2017, 12:59:37 pm
the suffering.
after playing bioshock, i've become very interested in shooters that give their main character supernatural abilities. i've heard about this game along time ago and i've played it's sequel back when it came out but i've never played the original game tho.

the game was okay. it can be played from either a first person or a third person view. but really though the design of the game favors the third person view, mostly because the later stages of the game are in open terrain and enemies spring out from behind you alot, you also can't use the dodge while in fp. which is a shame because aiming in fp is alot more precise and the game feels much scarier in it.
i thought the hulk transformation feature was useful at times but mostly risky, if there were a few gunners around, they will sap a considerable portion of your health before you reach them, combine that with the fac that you can't heal yourself while in monster form and you will see yourself not using it alot and just sticking with the more effective and safe guns.
i thought the story was good, its branched by moral actions and the game has 3 endings. i finished the good ending and i will replay to get the evil ending.
the creatures designs were very grotesque, i liked them .
overall it was a decent game 7/10.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#2331  December 15, 2017, 08:04:28 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Prey

Good game. Solid, which seems to be the grade for all Arkane Studios games.

-Gameplay and especially the amount of possible ways you can interact with the environment is great. Both the way mimics can ambush you and the ways you can use the environment in combat really take it up a notch.
-Loads of great worldbuilding and little self-contained stories scattered about. And jokes!
-The crafting im not so hot on. Especially being able to craft neuromods, since it totally snaps the upgrade balance in half. You don't really need to specialize in anyway since by the endgame you can easily be a jack of all stats.
-Needed some more enemy variety. It's not a lot as is and half of them are variations of Phantom anyway.
-Needed more... setpieces, I guess? A weird thing to complain about, what with modern games being as saturated by scripted stuff, but the gameplay was really fun and I wish the game had made better use of it in some sequences different from the standard explore-stealth-combat you do all game. Or you know, just have some bossfights.
-Bizarrely wasted celebrity voice actors. Fucking Walton Goggins is in this game and I didn't even notice since his role is so brief and unimportant.
-The ending was shit and totally deflated the story for me. Blllllrgh.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:10:42 pm by Mechy
#2332  December 17, 2017, 12:39:35 am
Inside

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

edit: I was annoyed more with this than I was with Limbo. It's still very well designed, but I just found it very dark, to the point where I cranked the brightness up most of the way through the game to play it without squinting. The style doesn't serve it as well as Limbo's served Limbo, but everything about the gameplay is as good if not better; probably better, due to the increased variety.

But still. What. The fuckkk.
#2333  January 07, 2018, 03:36:45 am
A Hat in Time

Let's start off with the bad. The game is pretty inconsistent, and a couple of levels are just not good, the penguin ones for example. Also, the controls are a little looser than I'd like them to be, but they're good enough. The graphics really show that this game is a Kickstarter game once in a while, especially in cutscenes. The models used aren't very detailed or well-made.

Now on to the good.

This game feels like a wonderful lovechild of Super Mario Sunshine, Spyro, and very good writing. It tries very hard to be different on a level-to-level basis and succeeds amazingly. It's always doing something different and exciting. A ton of love went into it. It's not perfect, but when it's on a high note (i.e., most of the time), it's mindblowingly good, with a focus on writing you just don't see in this genre. Playing this game felt absolutely fucking amazing and I recommend it to anyone. I'm not lowering the bar for this game because it's a Kickstarter/indie game; judged by triple-A standards, it's still pretty goddamn excellent. It does feel low-budget in some places, but it also feels like it was made with a hell of a lot more love than you see in other games. At this price point, it's fucking insane value. I'd almost recommend it at full new game price ('almost' only because it's on the shorter side, probably 10-12 hours; long enough, but kinda short for a 3D platformer).

If you like 3D platformers you will love this game. Maybe you won't love every second, but it has more than enough moments that'll blow you away.
#2334  January 07, 2018, 06:21:49 pm
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Doki Doki Literature Club

I really enjoyed this one, it's a visual novel and the basic premise is, you join a literature club that has 4 girls in it at high School, and you gotta make some choices along the way with how you choose the words on your poems.

I really don't wanna get into anything beyond it as I wouldn't wanna risk spoiling anything, but also because I feel this is one of those games that is better to go in blind. I know what I Said in the first paragraph may turn people off from it, but I would recommend it to anyone really whether you like anime/visual novels or not.

It's worth trying it out and it's free, so you can just download it from Steam (I think the official website for the game has a download Button there as well iinm).

9/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#2335  January 23, 2018, 11:46:31 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos

Absolute trash.

Fun as hell though. Loved it.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#2336  February 03, 2018, 02:40:07 am
I played a lot of games and I didn't talk about the games. Let's talk about some games.

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

This is honestly a damn near perfect game. It shamelessly copies Metroid but the aesthetic is so utterly Not Metroid that I didn't even notice some of the mechanical similarities until I got pretty far in. I immediately replayed it on Hard for the Platinum. Very good. Everyone should play.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (3DS port)

Still one of my favorite games ever and by far the best in the Phoenix Wright series.

Megaman X, X2, X3

Blew through these on the WiiU virtual console recently. Not much to say about them either. I like the later ones better than X, I think, but they're all pretty good. X4 is best, I'll play it again soon.

Layers of Fear

I don't recommend this one at all. There's no actual game to it and there's no story payoff, it's just a short spoopy walking sim with non-Euclidean physics a la PT. A man paints a painting using his wife's corpse for parts. That's it. That's the whole thing.

Jazzpunk

Drugs.

(edit 3 hours later:)

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

It's a poor man's What Remains of Edith Finch. Just play Edith Finch. It's like this, but good.

(edit 2 hours after that:)

Gorogoa

A neat puzzle game. Just the right amount of difficult, story, emotions, and uniqueness/stylization. Pretty short though, I finished it in just under an hour and a half. I recommend a play, but maybe wait for a sale to pick it up.
Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:55:02 am by Snakebyte
#2337  February 05, 2018, 12:45:25 am
Pony Island

A fun, quick, meta-as-hell game that gave me serious Undertale vibes. Strongly recommended, especially at its cheap-as-hell price.

Hiveswap: Act 1

I really fucking missed Homestuck. This was perfect. 10/10.
#2338  February 11, 2018, 11:25:02 pm
Metroid: Samus Returns

Took me a while to get through this one. I definitely found it more difficult than other Metroid games, frustratingly so a lot of the time. The parry mechanic really ruined the flow of combat in the earlygame, but this got better once I got the later beam powerups and could play it more traditionally again.

Still, it's a very good game and fits within the Metroid series. It feels like a Metroid game, despite being made by Mercurysteam. I'd be happy with more games like this, though I'd really like the parry to be made less necessary. 8/10.
#2339  February 13, 2018, 06:53:43 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (WiiU Virtual Console)

You know what's a really fun way to play this game?  Playing this as a two player co-op game, with one player controlling Mario and the other as Luigi.  You gotta rely on the other player to properly perform attack commands and solve overworld puzzles.  This makes for a great time regardless of how good or bad you and your partner are at co-operating.  It can be impractical for two players to share the same controller, so having the WiiU virtual console controls helps a bit with this.  One player with the gamepad, another with a WiiU pro controller.  It's also cool that this game allows you to switch leaders, so each bro gets their time interacting with the overworld.  Sure it might be a bit of a dumb way to do things, but I enjoyed the experience.

As for the game itself, the gameplay is really fun, but too easy for the most part.  Most of the enemies and bosses weren't really a threat.  Some of them had some pretty interesting gimicks but generally went down to quickly to be of any danger.  I enjoyed the bros. moves in this game more so than the other Mario & Luigi games, mainly because in here we see Mario and Luigi using their techniques and skills to perform their attacks as opposed to using items like in the other games.  The attack animations are also quick which help the battles feel faster, compared to the later games where the battles feel slower beccause the attacks take longer.  As a Mario RPG, I really like the characterization the game gives to the core characters and the new characters.  The game itself isn't too long.  With it's easy difficulty, you'll end up breezing right through.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I'd say the game has definitely aged well.  Despite its length and difficulty, I enjoyed what it had to offer.  Playing this game as a co-op game has been a real blast.  I'm interested to see what other games can be played like this.
#2340  February 24, 2018, 11:16:21 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada

Resette's Prescription ~Book of memory, Swaying scale~

Copy & pasted Steam review:
A very nice point and click game. While short and decently easy compared to other games of the genre, the characters are quite endearing, and the music is amazing.

Lots of text:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

It was a short but pleasant ride that had me wanting more. Some parts of the game are rough around the edges, but I enjoyed Resette's Prescription ~Book of memory, Swaying scale~ for what it was.