YesNoOk

Mugen characters that didn't age well (Read 58062 times)

Started by jenngra505, October 23, 2017, 10:53:59 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen characters that didn't age well
#41  November 27, 2017, 01:58:19 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
So I can't "fix" them 100%, or they would lose their trademarks. They are the way they are for a reason. And for nostalgia sake.

That's exactly how I feel about Spec Ops and DDR's stuff. It's wacky, but that's a huge part of their charm.
#42  November 27, 2017, 02:10:09 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
It was a different time. Flashy effects and ridiculously lengthy combos were the norm.

Anyway:

* Any MK character that wasn't made by OMEGAPSYCHO. Also every MK character which uses custom sprites edited from SF/MvC/what-have-you instead of actual MK sprites.
* All KI characters that aren't Eyedol.
* Any character based off a meme.
* The original version of Kung Fu Girl.
* All Guilty Gear XX characters made before Muteki.
* Inverse's characters.
#43  November 27, 2017, 02:14:29 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
#44  November 27, 2017, 03:23:26 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
#45  November 27, 2017, 04:52:00 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
⑨'s characters, specificaly the MB ones
They started as Melty Blood characters
When MB:R came out, ⑨ Updated them as well.
Then came out MB:R Final tuned, which also prompted an update from ⑨
somewhere at this point ⑨ ditched winmugen and moved his creations to mugen 1.0
Later MBAC came out and ⑨ was in the middle of updating them to the new system when a new and more balanced version of MBAC for PS2 came out.
⑨ deleted all his/her characters and started over with some charactes with the latest MBAC system, and MBAA came out for arcades.
⑨ made (IIRC) only ONE chraracter with MBAA gameplay, and then MBAA:CC was anounced
⑨ finally couldn't catch up and retired from mugen
I hate that on creators and specially his creations. My favourite MB is Act Cadenza and his chars from that version was superb, but then he moved to AA and above and then I couldn't catch them, more when he moved to 1.0 when WinM was still famous at that time. I'd to request via forums his AC versions to get the versions I wanted.

Something similar happened with Nao's KOF chars before disappeared, I loved his 2001 chars (mostly his K'), but then he updated them to 2002 and 2003 (their last releases), his K' never was the same. Actually I'm still looking for his 2001 K' and no one has it :(

* Any MK character that wasn't made by OMEGAPSYCHO. Also every MK character which uses custom sprites edited from SF/MvC/what-have-you instead of actual MK sprites.
* Inverse's characters.
I've to disagree in those 2. Juano13's chars are good and they were a standard in old days (indeed I use his MK system on Jim for Claytalities), and Inverse... I think they still work good at these days, IMO´

So I can't "fix" them 100%, or they would lose their trademarks. They are the way they are for a reason. And for nostalgia sake.
That's exactly how I feel about Spec Ops and DDR's stuff. It's wacky, but that's a huge part of their charm.
I am really glad to see such kind of reaction, really. And its good to know that there are more people who shares the same opinion.
Same here, I still like SFSO chars even when they haven't the same impact than in old days. I'm still a fan of old MB-02 (when it was a paletteswap of Sagat) and sometime I still play with (and against) him

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#46  November 27, 2017, 10:00:43 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
* Inverse's characters.
I've to disagree in those 2. Juano13's chars are good and they were a standard in old days (indeed I use his MK system on Jim for Claytalities), and Inverse... I think they still work good at these days, IMO´

I forgot about Juano. As for Inverse, some of his characters have problems with palettes and they're not exactly accurate, but yeah, they're good for what they are.
#47  November 28, 2017, 01:15:47 am
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
No one has made a better Sho than inverse. it's part of the reason I made two other breakers chars myself lol. You can Dos2Win them and it fixes the pal issues.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#48  November 29, 2017, 07:58:53 pm
  • What is life without tacos?
    • USA
    • catanesetyler@gmail.com
I would have to say Dark Lee by The Pizzaman, although he was quite fun to fight against he would always send out a double and beat the hell out of you if you weren't careful.
#49  December 04, 2017, 12:54:59 pm

On The Lips
#50  December 04, 2017, 02:29:08 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
No one has made a better Sho than inverse. it's part of the reason I made two other breakers chars myself lol. You can Dos2Win them and it fixes the pal issues.
Or open the SFF on FF3 and fix it there, it's very easy :P

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#51  January 10, 2018, 05:03:07 am
  • Average guy in the world...
    • USA
*Gustavo By Andrés Borghi - Gustavo Was just a Joke Character, But He does not Have Specials and Hypers. He Moves very Slowly and Only Does very weak punches and kicks. Gustavo Cannot even Crouch, He jumps hardly in the air. If an Opponent hits him, he will release an unblockable toxic gas which will float into the air until it either hits the opponent or evaporates after a period of time; the more hits Gustavo takes, the bigger and more powerful the toxic gas will be. I  Think he was too slow to play with.
*Team Nicktoons By Bane84 - Some various characters sprites are Taken From some GBA Games and The Sega Genesis game for Ren and Stimpy. Grandpa Phil thows too much teeths on his Triple Teeth Throw Special Attack. I Don't think it's a Good 3-Based Team Character.
*Mario By Dr. M - He is slightly small, The sprites are Taken From some SNES Mario Games. Mario is Missing his Dizzy Sprites and He Lacks an Intro, Taunt and Lose Pose. Mario is a Crappy Caped Character. I Wish there will be a Better Version of Him.
*Old School Mario By N64Mario - He Does not have a Intro, Win Pose and Lose Pose. He Cannot Even Taunt at all. Sometimes Big Berthas appears and Swallows the opponet, Also He can be Swallowed and Dies. Sometime Thwomps appears and smashes the opponet, Also He can be Smashed and Dies Too. One of His Hypers is Were He Does a Uppercut on the opponent sending below the floor's surface down into the water. If He gets hit, He Dies and Raises his Arm. He's Just a fine Classic Character but I Wish he's update with a intro, win pose, lose pose and a taunt.
*Bloo By Hyper-Beaner/Stickman14 - He lack Voice Clips excepet for Voice Clips Stolen From Zeeky H. Bomb. He's So Buggy. His Shun Bloo Satsu Hyper Was Very Cheeper than usual. The sprites are Crappy Drawn. I Wish there will be a Better Version of Bloo.
*Slot Machine/Slot Machine MK II By Neon Tiger - The Slot Machine cannot be Controled and Attack. If 3's Match, the Slot Machine Does something on the opponet. If 7 Icons are Matched, the Slot Machine Dies, and Explodes like Mega Man (The MK II Version has the Slot Machine Does the Super Mario Bros. Death Animation). The win pose is on the MK II Version of the character. The Slot Machine is Just a Joke character, I Hope there will be a New Slot Machine.
*Dopefish By The_None - He's a Stupid Cheep character that I ever played. He Summons Zeeky H. Bombs and Melons Missles. If Dopefish Eats the opponet, The opponet gets an instant K.O. He's Pretty a Eating Cheep character.
*Barney the Dinosaur By Jay_High19 - OH MY GOD A CRAPPY CHARACTER!! He lacks a Dizzy animation. He Does not have the K.O. Cry sound. He's has Missing Sprites. He's a Badness character of it.
*Qoo By Tuki no Turugi - Qoo Is a Badly Stupid Character like The Crappy Peter Griffin and The Crappy Bender by Actarus and Ivan Lulz's Plankton and Sandy Cheeks. He has Some awful moves and hypers. The Palletes are Look Crappy and Badly. He an Bad Character By a Japanese Author.
*Cinnamon By KomoD - He's Just an Good decent Character. His Special Moves and Hypers are Even Not Fine than Warner's Characters.
*Pingu By Mulambo - He's Just a KOF-Styled Character. He Does not Have a Lose Pose. His Super Scary Attack Hyper is Only used if Pingu's life is 50% or Lower.
*Takobue By JAPX - He's a Spriteswap of Kung Fu Man with Kung Fu Man Sounds when attacking. The messages keeps Repeating Several Times. He's not a Good decent Character.
*Dig Dug By XCB - Like Old School Mario, Dig Dug Dies when Hit. His Pumping Attack was Pretty Cheep than usual. He cannot even jump or crouch. He only has 3 Lives. The Altered Beast New Life Spawning can also hit the opponent by rising casket.
M.U.G.E.N's got nothing on me!
#52  January 10, 2018, 10:49:18 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Dude, the original topic is about characters that were really good many years ago, but nowadays their standards are really low and are no longer good.
It's not a thread to list all the crappy characters that have been ever made in mugen
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#53  January 11, 2018, 09:09:32 am
    • muscleman@dispostable.com
Misuzu_M by Markyjoe1990, an ancient edit made to bust cheap characters when that was still a fad.
My past is not today!
https://media.giphy.com/media/119SFXjoMsax6o/giphy.gif
Your signature is too big, please read the forum rules
#54  January 12, 2018, 02:52:36 am
  • R.I.P Mugen 1999-202X
    • USA
    • mugen.wikia.com/User:Jenngra505
Pingu by Mumbalo actually fits this thread because he was pretty famous way back when but is filled with easy juggle infinites and overpowered attacks.
Hopefully someday I'll be able to make the little puffball on my profile pic.
(Sprite edited from Scrollboss' sprite)
#55  January 12, 2018, 04:11:28 am
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • Kamekaze.world
*Dig Dug By XCB - Like Old School Mario, Dig Dug Dies when Hit. His Pumping Attack was Pretty Cheep than usual. He cannot even jump or crouch. He only has 3 Lives. The Altered Beast New Life Spawning can also hit the opponent by rising casket.
I can't believe a joke character has cheap attacks
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
119/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#56  January 14, 2018, 03:06:38 am
  • The Best of Both Worlds
  • SuperStar
hello eveeybody.
i needed to read all the posts to understood the topic.
i can talk about Saint Seiya creations,in 2005 i got them and being original i said "cool,i can play  with them finally".but later i felt they needed improve their gameplay in most of cases.
i tried those small DB characters and few were enjoyable beyond SsJ 4444 invincible versions.

#57  January 15, 2018, 04:33:29 am
  • Average guy in the world...
    • USA
Example number 2 is Kishio's Donald Mcdonald (which was already listed but not in detail) who similar to Shinryoga's Mario has an AI that exploits every flaw in the gameplay, Kishio also got pretty lazy after the first frame on the idle animation having sprites with missing sleeve and sock stripes, shoelaces, and EYES.

Also Found in The SND File of Kishio's Donald Mcdonald, Donald Still Has Unused Kung Fu Man Voice Clips and Found In The CNS File of Him, He Still has Kung Fu Man's Move Names on His Special Moves and Hypers.
M.U.G.E.N's got nothing on me!
#58  January 15, 2018, 06:00:50 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#59  January 18, 2018, 04:19:44 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
- Anything in the "arms race" of old. This includes Psycho Shredder (and variations thereof), God Orochi, Oni-Miko, Kuri's Saber and Super Mech Hisui  (I think they were part of it? They play like it) and whatnot.
Rare Akuma still has the charm, and honestly I remember it ending the arms race. It was the best of chars, it was the worst of chars.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#60  January 26, 2018, 11:56:32 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
Every one of my characters prior to Hauzer has either aged horrendously, or knots my stomach. :tongue3:

@DexterDudeMan155:
With regards to Pingu's "Super Scary Attack", it's an act of balance to place a half/low health constraint on heavy hitting hyper attacks.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)