YesNoOk

What exactly would be the benefits of an open source M.U.G.E.N? The source code. (Read 7548 times)

Started by Dhillon521, December 03, 2017, 03:57:38 am
Share this topic:
What exactly would be the benefits of an open source M.U.G.E.N? The source code.
#1  December 03, 2017, 03:57:38 am
  • Thank you so very much.
    • dhillonpowell@gmail.com
    • Skype - dhillon2004521
    • dhillon521mugen.weebly.com/
Hello, I haven't been active in the M.U.G.E.N community for a little while. But lately I've gotten a little more interested again. I always see people talk about Elecbyte not releasing the source code. But what exactly would the benefits of this be. Maybe this thread can be a sort of discussion of the benefits of having the source code. 
Re: What exactly would be the benefits of an open source M.U.G.E.N? The source code.
#2  December 03, 2017, 05:03:47 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Add, edit or remove modes. Update bugs, customize it
For full games. Make it better, add cns shit.
Re: What exactly would be the benefits of an open source M.U.G.E.N? The source code.
#3  December 03, 2017, 02:10:38 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
At this point, nothing really. I'd be afraid to look at MUGEN's source tbh
#4  December 03, 2017, 04:00:57 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Releasing the source code would make mugen open source like creators do for some emulators. Fans that have knowledge of coding could help improve or add features that the program has or dont have already.
For example Ikemen is open source, anyone can change and improve that engine sort of what this person has done. He has implemented arcade mode from mugen engine to ikemen. Its a simple addition but its a start. http://mugenguild.com/forum/boardseen./topics/ikemen-plus-181972.msg2133116.html#new
Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:04:37 pm by Insigniawarfare
#5  December 03, 2017, 04:46:39 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
story modes
more interactivity with stages
save data such as: score, number of wins, best time, etc.
a char can access information from another char, which is not in that fight
#6  December 05, 2017, 11:19:06 pm
    • USA
    • goroh16@yahoo.com
I would like a record that shows how many times I beat arcade mode with a character. Also how many characters I have beaten with a certain character and how many rounds was used. That would be cool. There's two characters that I used that I have beaten my whole roster with. Pressing F1 will not count.
#7  December 06, 2017, 07:12:28 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
Well, we could add some custom modes, custom wins screens(like something from Super Smash Bros), adding ogg support to SND for custom music events with some special coding...even compatible with others Operatings Systems apart of Windows.
#8  December 12, 2017, 01:31:47 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
At this point, nothing really. I'd be afraid to look at MUGEN's source tbh

How come?

And on the topic of the question, like others said, having the source code would allow us to customize MUGEN to heights only limited by our imagination (and our computers).
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#9  December 12, 2017, 04:40:33 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
How come?
From my point of view/opinion/past experience in software which generally is always expect the worst,
I'd imagine going from Dos->Win->1.0->1.1 (and a LinMugen branch somewhere in there IIRC) each version having fairly major changes, some more so than others. I'm pretty sure no version was a complete rebuild of entire codebase but rather taking existing code and building/expanding upon it(I could be wrong, but doubt it). Some of these updates were done with huge time gaps in between, so some thought and programming processes would have changed over time as well as some of the libraries, which might not be a huge deal, but could affect readability flow alot and could still be really scary looking. Changing one simple thing could break something else, seemingly unrelated, entirely depending on how things were built on top of each other, next to each other, etc.
I think the earliest DosMugens were released in 1999 it's almost 2018 now, so you've probably got some ancient nightmares hiding in the code using old libraries, especially if they are still using chunks from 97-99 or whenever development started. Complexity levels thru the ceiling!

So similar to maintaining or developing on existing code at a major company or the US/state governments, BUT we wouldn't be given the 60,000k-100,000k+ a year to sift thru/fix it. I'd imagine there's some scary things, but I'd still love to see it. Just to be pleasantly surprised by its beauty or have it my face melt off! Then try and fuck around in it anyway just to see if I can. (I probably couldn't, but I'd love to try anyway).

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#10  January 05, 2018, 08:20:53 pm
    • USA
    • goroh16@yahoo.com
I would like an actual player vs AI mode. I don't like having to keep pressing Ctrl 1 in watch mode every time and sometimes it doesn't work.
#11  January 05, 2018, 08:30:02 pm
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
A very simple example:

Did you played the demo of Capcom Universe by Beximus?

You noticed you need to choose between the single, tag-team and turns mode before you actually choose the character right? If you choice any mode but the tag-team/simul mode the game will bug and you will need to restart the game with the esc button.

With a open source mugen, you can have a chance of bypassing that mode choice and go straight to a proper arcade mode with the tag team enabled.

Also, this will open a chance to make more modes, enable more things like a story mode, and a lot of other things,
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome