YesNoOk

Net Neutrality is in danger.... Again. (Read 24601 times)

Started by _Data_Drain_, November 19, 2017, 01:57:06 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Net Neutrality is in danger.... Again.
#21  November 23, 2017, 06:05:38 pm
    • USA
The topic is really confusing, can someone tell me the short and long term *benefits* a consumer would have should Ajit manage to pull this off?
#22  November 23, 2017, 06:09:34 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Okay then. I still don't think isps should be able to allocate where they spend resources if it'll give sites they prefer an edge. The radio one was a good argument for less regulation there but some things should be forced like this or that company that bought eppi pens so they could jack up the prices astronomically. If the market worked correctly there would be many cheaper alternatives to compete. Internet just doesn't fall into that field imo
#23  November 23, 2017, 07:25:28 pm
The FTC, contractual agreements? That's just for starters, there were a code of ethics before Title II you know, lol.
the ftc has no authority over this, once NN is gone isps can charge however they want.
contractual agreements? are you kidding me? do you think they'll actually break whatever terms they put on their contracts?
grab a copy and read it, theres tons of shady terms in there that people just sign up on without putting too much thought into.
Enjoy being mad about people who disagree with you though, there's a lot of them out there. :(
im not pissed at you for disagreeing with me, im pissed at you because you're spewing nonsense of the top of your head with no facts to back it up and you have a weird fath in isp companies that they won't abuse their authorities and instead be "creative".
Net Neutrality is simply fair and equal treatment across the internet, I don't think anyone here is against that. Title II is the regulation that forces ISPs to treat internet traffic the same. It's a way to enforce net neutrality, but they're not one and the same. One could make the argument that traffic shouldn't be obligated to be equal, allowing businesses to allocate where they want to spend their resources, but my position isn't nuanced enough to elaborate on that.
why aren't you making it then? oh wait you answered my question in that last sentence, because you don't know what the hell are you talking about.
why should internet traffic not be treated the same? if i pay a hefty amount of money monthly to get a 16 mbps download speed and my isp decides that a site that i frequent doesn't need that and throttles it, what good is my internet plan? why the fuck should i pay them if they're not gonna deliver on their offer and instead cherry pick which sites deserve the full speed?
you have no proof whatsoever that title ii is bad yet you keep spewing nonsense from your head that it *might* be because of what? the radio was regulated in the 50s?
different times, different situations. you can't compare those two.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:28:52 pm by Gennos
#24  November 23, 2017, 10:40:11 pm
I've already explained that it has the effect of big telecoms and shitty practices, so don't know where you're getting "faith in ISPs" from. Best we can hope for is that technology changes service distribution somewhere down the line that allow us to bypass them in some way.

There wasn't a big enough sample size to prove if Title II was bad or not. The trends weren't encouraging though:

http://sbecouncil.org/2015/09/11/results-are-in-net-neutrality-regulation-and-diminished-investment/

Increased regulation always comes with increased costs. (business 101)

When elected officials and/or their appointees ignore this reality, entrepreneurship, business, employment, innovation and investment suffer, as do, ultimately, consumers as well.

And as SBE Council has emphasized, small businesses certainly suffer from the negative impact of regulation, including this gross regulatory overreach by the FCC. Consider, for example, that among firms within the telecommunications sector, 83 percent have fewer than 20 workers and 98 percent less than 500 employees. In addition, lost investment hurts small businesses as content providers in many industries, and enterprises across industries that reach new customers and markets via the Internet, and of course, as consumers of goods and services online.

Not mentioned is how these regulations have cost $5.1 billion in investments but that was well after this article. The question should be: How does Title II encourage internet growth? Given that the US suffers from embarassingly slow speeds despite it's economic status as a whole.

And yeah history is relevant because the same concepts apply. It's not somehow "invalid" because it happened 50 years ago, in the same industry I should add.

Imagine if the response to stop EA from abusing loot boxes and other anti-consumer DLC was... to make a gaming standard with 80 pages of DLC rules that all publishers must abide by. Naturally some protections would attempt to protect indie/small publishers, but they would still have to spend more money to make sure their content is in compliance with the rules. Money they may not even have, which would mean less content for your favorite niche title. All while EA and Ubisoft can still easily make DLC and push the envelope as far as the rules allow them.
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:10:22 pm by Niitris
#25  November 24, 2017, 12:37:06 am
Not mentioned is how these regulations have cost $5.1 billion in investments but that was well after this article. The question should be: How does Title II encourage internet growth? Given that the US suffers from embarassingly slow speeds despite it's economic status as a whole.

You're saying two unrelated things like they're connected. Other countries with fast internet speeds have net neutrality laws.
#26  November 24, 2017, 01:49:02 am
They're not, but stronger laws do provide less flexibility for what web services can be created or expedited, which can be both a good and bad thing.

Overall, I'm just saying revoking Title II isn't the day of reckoning that people are forecasting.
#27  November 25, 2017, 12:55:26 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#28  November 28, 2017, 01:25:58 am
    • USA
#29  November 28, 2017, 01:32:58 am
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Signed. And I'm not even American.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#30  November 28, 2017, 02:46:14 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#31  December 14, 2017, 02:44:59 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
yesterday i made a call about net neutrality, and today's the vote on that

let's hope the repeal doesn't happen
#32  December 14, 2017, 06:41:00 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
we lost...
#33  December 14, 2017, 07:21:53 pm
    • USA
Not all of us! Niitris wins!  :smile:
#34  December 14, 2017, 07:42:27 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
It still has to go through Congress right?
Battle lost,war still ongoing,and all that jazz
#35  December 14, 2017, 07:49:04 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Yeah it still has to go through courts.

Also there's a bill introduced that's intended to save it.

IDK what everyone was expecting from today, the FCC were gonna repeal it no matter what....but it's not up to them in the end.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#36  December 14, 2017, 07:59:16 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
I can't believe it, the internet is officially DEAD!!! Now I need to pay Verizon $20 for basic online connection, another $10 for the amazon package, and another $10 for the MFG package, and $10 for the Netflix and streaming package. I can't afford 25 cents a Tweet and my ex girlfriend stole my PS4. What am I supposed to do now Chairman Pai? Even if I could play Street Fighter 5 right now I'd still need to pay for PSN, buy the DLC, and the game STILL fucking sucks! I've got my Ethernet cable tied to a noose and hanging up behind me next to the Mistletoe. I've already made my last Reddit post, Fuck Drumpf and fuck white Christmases! See you all in HECK!

Honestly, the doomsaying and overly emotional and unreasoned breakdowns across the net have been pretty funny up to this point, and that was before the magic happened. I'm expecting a lot from Reddit/social media today.

Always try make the best of a bad situation! :)
Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:12:25 pm by Chronan
#37  December 14, 2017, 08:59:49 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
^ What the actual fuck is wrong with you?
#38  December 14, 2017, 09:01:03 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
#39  December 14, 2017, 09:09:50 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I know ppl in other countries that don't have this and it's an actual issue. Throttling down competitor sites and all. We should just all go back outside like in the good old days anyway.
#40  December 14, 2017, 09:26:42 pm
in my case at least i never had net neutrality and i'm not living the nightmare scenario being put forth by so many. i hope isps aren't total shitheads about it in america