YesNoOk

Mugen 1.1 OpenGL Problem after new Win 10 Update (Read 37870 times)

Started by argyone, December 19, 2017, 08:45:16 pm
Share this topic:
Mugen 1.1 OpenGL Problem after new Win 10 Update
#1  December 19, 2017, 08:45:16 pm
  • AfroSamurai
  • Nothing personal. It’s just revenge.
    • Germany
so after the new Win 10 Update my Mugen wont work anymore.

i get this Error when i try to load Mugen

initializing graphics...gameCoord 1280x720...render mode 2_20...trying 1280x720x32 mode 0x0...failed.

before the update it was all good. i run mugen with a gtx 960 Strix 2Gb Vram card and it supports OpenGL perfectly fine.
i even tried to update my graphics card driver but that didnt help either.

i ve searched the forum and googled but the solutions i found were not accectable for me, because it was suggested to lower the resolution or change to directX mode or system, but i really need opeGL since my Screenpack and stages use Png.

anyone else having this problem or could provide a solution to this?
Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:49:37 am by argyone
Re: Mugen 1.1 OpenGL Problem after new Win 10 Update
#2  December 20, 2017, 11:55:43 am
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
yes, it happens to other people
not even fighter factory 3 works on windows 10

#3  December 22, 2017, 10:02:10 pm
omg help this is affecting me as well. Everything is updated (Drivers) but right after the update I get the same problem as the first poster. Nothing seems to work but setting things to system, The update killed mugen on both of my computers
#4  December 23, 2017, 11:21:30 am
same error here after windows update. any news on how to fix?
fighter factory 3 is working , installed it after the windows update tho
#5  December 24, 2017, 03:45:28 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/

lol wut

it's been working for me just fine and I've had Windows 10 since launch.

Also, it's most likely video card settings since that's what handles OpenGL. DirectX has nothing to do with OpenGL; they are separate technologies. You could try switching MUGEN to DirectX mode. I don't think OpenGL is required at all to use PNG's.
#6  December 24, 2017, 04:11:16 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917

lol wut

it's been working for me just fine and I've had Windows 10 since launch.

Also, it's most likely video card settings since that's what handles OpenGL. DirectX has nothing to do with OpenGL; they are separate technologies. You could try switching MUGEN to DirectX mode. I don't think OpenGL is required at all to use PNG's.

Yes, I agree with you ... Like I said, this happens to some people. XD
#7  December 25, 2017, 12:47:25 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
#8  December 25, 2017, 03:55:22 pm
  • AfroSamurai
  • Nothing personal. It’s just revenge.
    • Germany
to use new 1.1 features and png u need opengl. thats why im asking.
as i mentioned before i have a gtx 960 and 16gb of ram so there should be no problem to handle opengl
( and as i said, it worked all fine before the update)
so its most likely to the new win 10 upgrade and i dont want to be rude or something but i asked for a solution to this specific problem, not to hear everyones 2 cents about if its working for them or not.

so yeah.. anyone who could provide actually help ?
Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:54:46 pm by argyone
#9  December 26, 2017, 05:54:03 am
  • = +...Orpheus vs. the Sirens...+ =
    • USA
Having the same problem.. So I guess we can't use mugen 1.1 anymore?? screenpack, lifebars, etc depend on opengl.

EDIT: For clarification; i'm getting the exact same error message as op. I haven't used or touched M.U.G.E.N in months and at the time it 1.1b worked no problem with opengl.  Tried to mess with all the different options in cfg but the errors still popped up. Changed/altered graphics card settings, switched monitors, etc still the same message after double clicking mugen. It successfully runs in system and directx mode but stages are too zoomed in lifebar is missing, title screen is almost black, etc (Mugen breaks pretty much) since it seems most of my game assets were dependent on Opengl.

Specs: Sapphire nitro r9 fury, 16 ram i7 6700k 4 ghz.

If I find a solution I'll be back here to let you guys know.
"Make Fighting Games Great Again"
Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:13:28 am by Zatoichi 03
#10  December 26, 2017, 07:09:38 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
I've never used Win10 but did some Googling and apparently after some early-mid 2016 Win10 update OpenGL applications broke for some people. According to the MS forum some Windows updates remove/break parts of OpenGL. No idea what Win update was installed that broke OpenGL rendering in Mugen (if you know the update # it might be useful).
Apparently for the old 2016 update that caused some OpenGL games to break, the solution someone reported was to "re-install OpenGL drivers". Not sure what they meant exactly, but version # might matter since Mugen requires atleast OpenGL 2.0 (IIRC?). Your video card might have specific OpenGL requirements which you wouldn't want to exceed, and you'd want to install the version based off your OS (32 or 64 bit).

I'd be curious if Windows Event Viewer is reporting any application error messages your Mugen fails to start, and if so, does that error have any more detail?

Not a helpful post I know, but I'm pretty interested in the issue, since I'll eventually be moving to Win10 during 2018 at some point.

Edit: System Event logs as well as Application Logs might be useful too. Any NVidia/OpenGL/or Application error listed that could be related to Mugen or your video drivers. I'd recommend checking/searching Event Viewer in either case for time stamps related to when Mugen 1.1 attempted to be started, or even when your PC was booted to see if there is a sys error regarding your video card and/or OpenGL. Seems like a long shot but who knows.

Edit2: For people running into this issue what are your GPU(s) (check to see if you have more than 1 listed under System/Hardware)? I'm also seeing more posts via Google about Win10 not using dedicated GPUs and instead trying to use Integrated Intel GPUs. In addition, I found a blog talking about Win10 failing to read an INF file extensions used with Intel integrated graphics cards, which causes MS Minecraft to not boot due to OpenGL errors. Could possibly tie into this if everyone with the issue coincidentally has an integrated GPU and Windows is telling Mugen to use it rather than your nVidia/AMD cards.
Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:41:07 pm by Chronan
#11  December 26, 2017, 09:49:40 pm
  • Master Relic Tech
  • Screenpack Maker EX
I love this thread, been having the same problems. Not trying to buy another pc, it works fine my main personal matters. I just hate what it did to 1.1 for me. Hope someone finds out a fixable solution to this problem.
#12  December 27, 2017, 12:44:13 am
i got mugen 1.1b to run again
just download from here 
http://network.mugenguild.com/justnopoint/mugen-1.1b1.zip  (its default )

tried draggin the .exe and the config to an older mugen setup ...  but didnt work , so manually adding the stuff  seem to be working ...
proof
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:02:27 am by fant4smas
#13  December 29, 2017, 03:41:37 am
  • = +...Orpheus vs. the Sirens...+ =
    • USA
i got mugen 1.1b to run again
just download from here 
http://network.mugenguild.com/justnopoint/mugen-1.1b1.zip  (its default )

tried draggin the .exe and the config to an older mugen setup ...  but didnt work , so manually adding the stuff  seem to be working ...
proof
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Can confirm that this works. Like he said; just manually add your chars, stages, etc folders to the fresh 1.1b and your good to go. Works with Opengl.

Thanks a bunch man.
"Make Fighting Games Great Again"
#14  February 09, 2018, 09:08:31 am
Not sure if this belongs here or if it's worth starting a new topic, but I think it may be related to the OP. I had the same problem as the OP (new update of windows 10 gave me error described) but just found out the cause was my Reshade / SweetFx, which were older versions. When I uninstalled it by deleting those files/folders, my mugen 1.1 worked again. I then tried installing the newest release of reshade (3.0) and everything works great! In fact, it's better than my previous setup since I like reshade 3.0. If anyone else is struggling with this I can offer more guidance, but that's the general idea. Hope this is helpful to someone!
#15  March 19, 2018, 08:05:19 am
New #16  June 10, 2018, 09:08:45 am
Having the same problem after I updated my windows 10 to
Verrsion 1803
Build 17134.81
This version tells you to use Edge and bing to collect MS points.

Mugen 1.1b used to run normal on previous windows 10.

with the new 1.1b1 still can't run.

some 4 years later----
--------- you just need to update your graphics card / GPU driver! ---------
NOT just your Nvidia / AMD GPU but your built-in intel GPU inside your CPU
follow this video to fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68SE6Q3aBLM
Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 06:58:29 am by beterhans