YesNoOk

Fighter's Generator ( previously Nekoconeko )( a new fighting game engine) (Read 111968 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, December 21, 2017, 07:40:40 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Nekoconeko ( a new fighting game engine)
#21  December 25, 2017, 09:46:31 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah, it should be pretty simple since it's just moving in the already existing 3d plane so I don't see  the need to add something in the engine; world heroes style interactive stages should be doable, yep just create the dangers as projectiles or some other kind of object in the stage's script. Tho, I odn't remember if I kept the code so there can be a third "side", a side is where do the characters belong to so so your own projectiles can't hit you, tho there is alrady a change side sctrl anyway, for projectile reflection.
#22  December 25, 2017, 10:15:58 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Can there be more complex coding for lifebars? Like having them be Mario 64 or Bart's Nightmare styled circular orientation or vertical like Mega Man games? Or just a number? Or like in Street Fighter 2 where the K.O. graphic in the center flashes when someone's health is low? Or a score system?
#23  December 26, 2017, 03:19:11 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I guess what's needed is more flexibilty and having the ability to have options on the character select screen (groove/striker select and animations ala Marvel Super Heroes )and in between round cutscenes like being able to select your opponent in SF3.

I can see this having an RPG like section for the Story mode and have mini games in it.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#24  December 26, 2017, 03:28:48 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
That sounds very easy to implement, as in, with the stuff the engine already has it can be done , I think that will come more clear once I post the documentation; curently I am in the "sctrls" section , after that I write/format expressions and debugging, which are short, but the next seciton which is an exmaple of how to create some stuff (a game) is longer and I feel tempted to split it as a different document.
#25  December 26, 2017, 05:58:28 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Double post because it's an important post.

First, I managed to finish another version of the documentation, it's in html s it's mor readable, only the last seciton is left, though, it's about as long as the rest of the document. it can be read there:

http://jolly-kare-8d95f8.bitballoon.com/

I hope that answers/creates more questions. I will rest a few days (will keep on posting in this topic, ) because I have been working from 8am until  11 pm for two weeks straight now, before resuming to work on version 1.6 of the documentation.

Second, this is a bit of a disclosure post, it's obvious because of the documentation anyway; regarding the engine work, due to lack of payments I kept on slowing down to work secondary jobs to make ends meet, so in the past few months I have not even touched it, so that is why some of my answers come up like "If I remember", etc... The computer in  which I had the source code even spent a few months in a pawn shop (but once I maaged tog et another job I unpawned the computer and recovered the source code).
More into my programming experience, while some know me for my my mugen stuff, I have been coding engines profesionally since 2010, disregarding the reseach/work on them I did before as a side project. most of the time it was engines for business apps, but what might be more relevant there is that I am used to developing engines, handling requests for the improvement, etc...

Also, first post udpated with this info.
#26  December 26, 2017, 06:21:33 am
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
I've been lurking in the shadows patiently waiting for you to post some photos or videos showcasing the engine, so i decided to check out the document and my malwarebytes blocked the document site you linked.
#27  December 26, 2017, 09:15:53 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#28  December 26, 2017, 11:54:31 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Interesting Basara!
I really like the fact this can be used for a lot of different games types!

I can't wait to see some progress on it / gamplay perhaps.

I presume it supports only 2D graphics... Just asking.

Anyway, keep it up!
#29  December 27, 2017, 01:22:02 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Well, what is mentioned in the documentation is already working, tho I understand the need to see something since right now it's just words. I will try to do some cleanup on the project so I can record a video of the engine in action even if it's not using the best assets atm.

I did a re-read of the documentation as I have been formatting and is of my opinion that section 8 really needs some cleanup; also it's missing stuff on how to create basic objects like characters and backgrounds. Though I alreayd ahve a small IDe, it's mostly only useful to create the animation file based on al arleady existing sprite sheet file, sicne sprite sheet tools are alreayd a thing that exist, tho, judging by the hardships I had to put up with while creating the sprite sheets and converting to animation files even with an IDE, making the IDE so it can also create sprite sheets might be necesary.
#30  December 27, 2017, 01:26:53 am
would you be able to code "platform like" stages with walls (hyrule temple from ssb64 for example) (arena mode)
anyway lookin forward to this project !
#31  December 27, 2017, 05:06:39 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the stages have a "polygon" that defines when youa re inside or outside the stage (posadd, etc.. won't allow you to go offstage) , so in a sense it can have walls, what id does not has is variable floor height, tho the turnbucklers aer some kind of extra floor height.
#32  December 27, 2017, 05:49:11 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Will that be a problem for elevator type stages both fighting and beat em up?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#33  December 27, 2017, 05:59:32 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it depends, IIRc most beat em ups have the elevator stages not moving on the Z axis at all, just have the background scrolling down. Using reverse logic is very useful in programming.
#34  December 27, 2017, 10:02:08 am
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
What did you write this engine in? Looks interesting. Sorry about what happened to you by the way.
#35  December 27, 2017, 10:40:42 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Make it so you can move the camera past the walls of the stage in an assertspecial sort of way. A move I coded imitates a portal effect by making a black bg with a hole so you can see the stage through it. In MUGEN I have to reposition the chars and the hole due to the walls.

Also a destroy hitsparks sctrl!
#36  December 27, 2017, 12:12:19 pm
#37  December 27, 2017, 12:55:47 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
Sorry to hear what happened, but about the engine itself I reaaly like what I read.
Two questions, is the engine able to cut sprites in-game to make a move like that one from Basara that sinks the opponent?
The second one is the price for the commercial license, I know you may not have a price set in stone but you may have an vague idea already.
Good luck!
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#38  December 27, 2017, 12:58:45 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Consider myself interested in this engine. Who knows? It might replace MUGEN for all of our custom fighting game needs!

Two questions to ask about the engine and development in general:

1.) How easy will it be for someone to code for the engine and its characters? Could I, in theory, use notepad for all of my coding, or will I need special programs to do so?

2.) Are you allowed to release the engine like this without the sponsoring company's input? I wanted to ask since we all do not want you to get into legal trouble with the original company for breaching contracts or any legal agreements. Releasing work developed for other companies is serious business.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#39  December 27, 2017, 06:13:52 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
and the proxy server hit again >.<

What did you write this engine in? Looks interesting. Sorry about what happened to you by the way.

Thanks.
C# and the monogame frame work; the latest makes it possible to port it to other OSes, which while being not something trivial, is still in the realm of doable things.

Make it so you can move the camera past the walls of the stage in an assertspecial sort of way. A move I coded imitates a portal effect by making a black bg with a hole so you can see the stage through it. In MUGEN I have to reposition the chars and the hole due to the walls.

Also a destroy hitsparks sctrl!
Well, rather than an assert special, what was planned was to have sctrls that directly manipulate the camera.

I don't know what would a destroyhitspark sctrl would be used for, so I'd look first into what you want to accomplish with what is currently here, and if it's doable in an easy way so be it, if the way to do it is too complex (what I call cns gymnastics in mugen) that's when something new gets added.

Sorry to hear what happened, but about the engine itself I reaaly like what I read.
Two questions, is the engine able to cut sprites in-game to make a move like that one from Basara that sinks the opponent?
The second one is the price for the commercial license, I know you may not have a price set in stone but you may have an vague idea already.
Good luck!
Thanks.
1) nope, not yet, I don't know if doing some tricks with what it already had that is doable, but anyway in this case, this is the second time masks are mentioned to me since I went public and I get the feeling they will be pretty necesary so they are likely to get added down the road.

2) yep, I have not gone into much tought, it depends a lot on the reach of the game and the necessity of the licensor to add more stuff to the engine. that would be more of a case by case basis rather than having a stuck in stone price.

Consider myself interested in this engine. Who knows? It might replace MUGEN for all of our custom fighting game needs!

Two questions to ask about the engine and development in general:

1.) How easy will it be for someone to code for the engine and its characters? Could I, in theory, use notepad for all of my coding, or will I need special programs to do so?

2.) Are you allowed to release the engine like this without the sponsoring company's input? I wanted to ask since we all do not want you to get into legal trouble with the original company for breaching contracts or any legal agreements. Releasing work developed for other companies is serious business.

1) around the same difficulty as creating mugen content , I hope easier eventually (and if it's easier right now, that's better). JSOn text files, if properly formatted are as easy to edit as a normal text file (they are similar to mugen's X=Y sctrls except that they are between ""), I tried using a json editor and found it even easier to just use a text editor. if you can edit mguen files in notepad, you can use noyepad here, though I sugegst using notepad++ ( and if you already use another text editor, yeah, that one works too).
now the ones that area  bit more troublesome are the sprite sheets, those are png files, tho, so I used  a sheet maker then sued irfan view to get the sprite coordinates to paste them in the animation file. later I made a small ide to help with that but it's mostly used to draw colission boxes and change animation parameters; so one of the first things to do for me is to design/code an ide that makes it better to add individual sprites to the sheet.

2) the company was a new company (and not yet legally created as such) by a an old friend of mine, we did nto sign any contracts or anything as I trusted him (I am using him for legal reasons) back then  to not worry about being scammed. I got paid less than 20% of the agreed salary until I got my current job so if there were contracts or anything I'd be suing my ex-employeer rather than being sued myself.
#40  December 27, 2017, 06:26:09 pm
I'm liking a lot of the features and ideas described so far.

I'd probably buy it either way regardless of needing it due to how you were treated.  Had my fair share of shady partnerships in terms of indie development.