YesNoOk

Fighter's Generator ( previously Nekoconeko )( a new fighting game engine) (Read 112014 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, December 21, 2017, 07:40:40 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Nekoconeko ( a new fighting game engine)
#41  December 27, 2017, 07:11:16 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
and the proxy server hit again >.<
Well, rather than an assert special, what was planned was to have sctrls that directly manipulate the camera.

I don't know what would a destroyhitspark sctrl would be used for, so I'd look first into what you want to accomplish with what is currently here, and if it's doable in an easy way so be it, if the way to do it is too complex (what I call cns gymnastics in mugen) that's when something new gets added.
This is the issue. Being able to change layering of sparks could be useful too.
#42  December 27, 2017, 07:30:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Ah, so modify the spark as if it was a explod/effect ? so you don't have to resort to using explods to have hitspark behaviour (kind of what we do in mugen by using helpers as projectiles)?

sounds interesting, like having a spark id, woul be very easy but it gets some added compelxity by a hitdef beign able to generate more than one spark , so specifying a spark Id parameter has a (small)limitation (since it can always be an expresion).

I'm liking a lot of the features and ideas described so far.

I'd probably buy it either way regardless of needing it due to how you were treated.  Had my fair share of shady partnerships in terms of indie development.

Thanks
Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:16:36 am by Bastard Mami
#43  December 27, 2017, 08:16:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#44  December 28, 2017, 12:20:34 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Yup, giving an id to hitsparks and killing them, with the option of killing them all if no id is given sounds like the proper solution. so the hitdef would have a _hitsparkId parameter, if a hitdef produces more than one hitspark the id can accept expressions , tho I think the way htidef trigger (by providing them a list of animation frames) might need to change, or I coudl simply revaluate the hitdef's parameters per active frame, both are easy.
#45  December 28, 2017, 01:47:58 am
    • Germany
A short Question, how interactive can stages be? is it Possible to have some things like water splashes on water stages and different kinds of "dust" and sound effects different kind of stages? (Like in Last Blade with leaves, dust, snow and water etc.?)
#46  December 28, 2017, 02:23:00 am
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
What did you write this engine in? Looks interesting. Sorry about what happened to you by the way.

Thanks.
C# and the monogame frame work; the latest makes it possible to port it to other OSes, which while being not something trivial, is still in the realm of doable things.

C# and the monogame frame work

C#

Really now! What are your plans?
#47  December 28, 2017, 05:30:29 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
heh, I don't follow your question , care to ask again (or more like, I kind of understand the question but the quoting of C#  throws me off)?
Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:18:47 pm by Bastard Mami
#48  December 28, 2017, 09:01:13 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I'll gladly donate but I can only  either send with Solid Trust Pay or Bitcoin.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#49  December 28, 2017, 07:15:27 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Thanks, I will see what can be done with that, I got a bitcoin account /wallet when Iw as trying to get paid before, so I will look into the account details when I get home (I don't know about Solid trust pay,, will look into it).

now, onto more news/info, I just finished re-reading all the old documentation I have from the three previous years, it contained botha  list fo what's already been done , bug fixes and ides on what to do next. that also reminded that the engine was going t o get used for a wrestling game at first, so there is "turnbuckler" object support (if you made it to that point in the manual I alreayd posted, it also mentions them).

Now, what they are used for is that the stage spawns them, based on the configuration file , they are like the posts that hold the ring ropes in wrestling matches and the fighters can climb them ; there are triggers to detect how close they are so the climbing state can get triggered; once you climb it, the height changes as if you are standing there and the statetype also changes so only attacks that are supossed to hit you when you are there do hit you (as well as having you react differently when you get hit).

I hope that explains their overall behaviour. Now as explained, they feel very wrestling focused now, but the code for them is already there renaming them to something else is trivial (so they are not named turnbucklers anymore, that brings back bad memories), but rather than also takign them off the code, I want ideas on how to keep them, or even expand them so they are more useful for fighting/brawler, etc... games .

#50  December 29, 2017, 05:25:24 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
This is a bump to announce that I am releasing the sprite set of the prototype character for the engine; she was designed to be internal use only and not to be used in commercial projects; if you look at the set you will understand why I am not even sure if I can use her as a test character for the steam release of the engine.
I think I need to remake her sprites while using a different set of bases so I can include her in the main release of the engine  since I grew fond of her, by different set of bases I mean, either using a 3d model and draw over the result (I did research on certain techniques to speed that up) or just hand draw the base. As I don't consider myself good enough to draw sprites from 0  (like kotani/snk do)  where using a 3d base (like arcsys, etc..) or sketches (like old capcom) is perfectly valid (note that I mean i a timely manner, as drawing from cero would take me 5 to 10 times longer than using 3d/sketches )

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/bannou-seikaku-cvs-style-female-character-182361.new.html#new
#51  December 30, 2017, 03:54:26 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Sorry about what happened to you, it sucks to hear you got scammed.

Regardless, this whole engine sounds very interesting, so I'll be following this thread very closely.

This is a generic forum signature.
#52  December 30, 2017, 01:40:33 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Can you also scale the sprites and backgrounds bigger or smaller?

Like those giant sailors in mugen.

sailormoongalaxy said:
Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:50:32 pm by rgveda99
#53  January 04, 2018, 01:31:41 am
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
heh, I don't follow your question , care to ask again (or more like, I kind of understand the question but the quoting of C#  throws me off)?

It means I studied C# in the past. I still do in a way; although my focus is currently on Python at the moment, I intend to eventually shift gears towards further studying C# because I'm learning Unity 5 at the moment. Plus, I had my program switched to a Bachelor's in Game Programming unwillingly because my other program didn't have enough students enrolled.
#54  January 04, 2018, 05:47:38 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
C# is nice since it's flexible both because of language features and available libraries, so there is a lot that can be done with it and being part of the C family helps it a lot too.

Can you also scale the sprites and backgrounds bigger or smaller?

Ah, I see, it's not there yet, I just have to stumble upon a use case of that, to prioritize it in the list.

Well, time to talk about plans again.

If all goes well with work, I should get a non temporary position (all hired personnel spends their first 6 months as temporary in this company) in 4 more months, hopefully that comes along with an increase in my salary, , the company also gives bonuses in may-june so that's also an option. The reason I mention that is because I am barely keeping with paying the bills, so getting the 100 usd to pay for a steam release is impossible at the moment m and until may.I considered kick starter but that adds another layer of complexity to this and I prefer to have less headaches, it seems like an early access release in steam is a better option, but I will see when may gets closer.

so, back to the engine, Here is a list things that I need work on.

1) improve the documentation:
the previous document I posted, I consider it complete as long as I take out section 8 and make that one it's own document, since the first 7 sections read like reference manuals and section 8 is more like a tutorial,though there are parts of section 8 that also read like a manual and those will stay.
Make documents regarding individual object creation; how to create a character, a background, etc... I made an account in indiedb as it was suggested to me a a decent place to have those kind of posts. I will see how I mix and match that and the documentation.

2) fix bugs: I got the bug list at home, after I clear it I will prioritize and get started. The bug that bothers me the most is a disappearing sprite one, but I think it's very related to how unoptimized the current sprite sheets are and by making it so the IDE optimizes the sprite sheets this bug should get fixed, as right now the current test game uses multiple 4kx4k sheets  and the bug happens way sooner the weaker the video card is.

3) add new features:
Some have been suggested there, others I have in a list at home, though they are separated by subsystem. Things that I can remember right away:
Be able to modify "explods".
Make the learning AI optional, so a creator can hard code the AI, this also means adding a "pushCommand" sctrl.
Improve the learning AI (this is lower priority because of the previous feature)
Add a tag game mode.
Add a two players cooperative game mode.
Add masking.
Add sprite scaling.

4) create viable assets that I can include with the engine.
Regarding The assets I got those were made for internal use only, not something that can be sold, so I have to change them around for something that I can include in the engine without worries:
The backgrounds come from random games, so I would have to either search for open source-no royalties or make/draw my own
The UI also comes from random games, so I would have to either search for open source-no royalties or make/draw my own (again).
The music is also copyrighted music, same for the sounds, in this case I don't need that much music and I am not a music/sounds creator so I will be searching for it on the web.
The story mode graphics, if no open source are found I will redraw them, that will be fun at least since it is only one character.
Now the painful part is this, I grew fond of this character and would love to reuse her sprites, but since those are based on sprite edits that's most likely not doable and finding an open source full character sprite set that I can sell royalties free seems to be impossible,  so I will have to recreate bannou's whole sprite set, I will probably evaluate whether I use the scanned drawings  or the 3d model 2d render method.
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/bannou-seikaku-cvs-style-female-character-182361.new.html#new
(I hope I am not missing any type of asset)

The game flow, well I guess I can recycle most of what I already made for the test, I see very little point of making a new one; though I will modify it depending on new features (a feature that has been considered is adding array/list types in the code so a stage list can be used for game flow).

one thing to note is that a friend offered his hand drawn assets, so they are in consideration and I am putting making new assets in the end of my to do list partially because of that.

5) design/create an IDE:
I think this step, will make the engine easier to sell; the IDE will be a program that will directly handle the game files so make editing it easier and depends less on opening a text editor to edit the game files.
One thing I want to, is to make it easy to add characters and background to a game, I will have to see how does steam handle mods (I am in a similar situation for network play), to see how deep do I have to go programming that functionality in the IDE. I also want to improve what I currently have regarding creation of the animation files, so the IDE generates  a better optimized sprite sheet based on individual sprites; as I found it bothersome to work with full sprite sheets while animating characters, I mean when doing the actual drawings, sheets are great for other instances of character creation. The standard method of using a big canvas (320x240 for lo res) with just one sprite then animate by cycling through the images is still the best one in my opinion.
So, there is that and being able to work with individual objects (backgrounds, characters) by opening their definition file in the IDE is also something I want to have.The first stage for this will be to design the IDE, then to prioritize and start coding.

#55  January 04, 2018, 10:12:52 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafĂ­o.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
How do the clsn's function, are they like standard mugen only hurt and hit boxes
or do you also have push boxes and guard distance boxes like capcom fighters do?
#56  January 05, 2018, 12:31:51 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The way they work is that you define "generic" collision boxes, then each box has 3 properties: can it hit , can it be hit, can it be grabbed, so you don't need to have separate clsn1 and clsn2, but it's still easy to have them separate as most games do anyway. Grabbed is here to support the logic of being able to add more properties to the boxes; there are no push boxes because of the nature of the first games that were being developed but push boxes are some of the first in the new features list, along uneven hitpauses.
#57  January 05, 2018, 02:35:34 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
sailormoongalaxy said:
#58  January 05, 2018, 05:06:31 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Well, the plan is to release the engine and keep on supporting it , particularly as long as more support means more sales, doing the math if I move something like 20 units per month keeping it alive  would be as profitable as my current job on a per day/hour basis (I get paid 25 usd per 10 hours day); add ot that the ethical-commercial way of having a mostly bug free-usuable engine  as I am trying to build a better software portfolio overall.

#59  January 05, 2018, 05:14:15 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Sounds good.

A question that I had in mind, would it be possible to recreate things like the Ratio System in CvS2 or the the Infinity Gems system in Marvel Super Heroes using Nekoconeko?

This is a generic forum signature.
#60  January 05, 2018, 05:51:47 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I'd need a small explanation on how those work generally before being able to answer, so I can figure a way on how to code those with what is already there and/or figure out what else is necesary.