YesNoOk

DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?) (Read 403979 times)

Started by Edtion, June 05, 2011, 10:00:42 am
Share this topic:
Re: DC Comics Universe (maybe discussion?)
#1321  March 03, 2017, 12:46:32 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Oh man if that Legion crossover doesn't somehow include a Duck Dodgers reference...

Also holy shit Kelley fucking Jones
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1322  March 27, 2017, 06:21:01 pm
    • USA
#1323  May 15, 2017, 03:58:58 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Tom King and Mitch Gerads are doing a Mister Miracle book, and like, HELL FUCKING YES

This team just gets the Fourth World mythos:

Paste: In the first issue, Darkseid is only hinted at through these ominous, rhythmic black boxes with the sole text “Darkseid is” in varying fonts. How are you approaching the character both from a thematic and craft perspective?

King: “Darkseid is” is taken from Grant Morrison’s JLA run in the early ‘90s. He captured what Kirby had captured, which is that Darkseid isn’t just a big guy who wants to take over the world. He’s not Mongul. He’s not even Thanos, a guy obsessed with death. He’s the evil inside of us. He’s the darkness. He’s the thing inside of us that calls us to do the wrong thing or be warped the wrong way. That’s inescapable: Darkseid exists. That’s there.

Gerads: He’s the only comic book villain that I’m legitimately afraid of. When I was a kid, Darkseid scared the heck out of me. I don’t think it ever went away. My mom brought home a Burger King happy meal, and it had this little cup holder. Different DC characters have their arms outstretched, with cups that go in front. My mom brought home Darkseid and I just started crying. I wanted no part of it.

King: I want to credit a webcomic artist named Julian Lytle. He’s an old friend of mine, and we met at a con. I was telling him about Mister Miracle, and he said: “Darkseid is.” And I said, “What do you mean Darkseid is?” He’s that thing that you can’t deny is there, that’s pushing you toward darkness. And he kept saying “Darkseid is” over and over again, and as I was talking to him, I saw the black panels. It’s always there in the background. It comes from that conversation with Julian.
King: You read New Gods, and you say that’s where Star Wars came from. It’s 100%. You can just see it on the page. This is why my kids wear Fantastic Four pajamas. This is why when I walk out in the street every day, I see half of the people wearing superhero t-shirts. This is the spine of our modern American myth, and it came from this outpouring of insanity from a man who, for all accounts and purposes, should have been past his prime. He should have done his best work, but instead, he channeled the energy of this new generation that was rebelling against this new perceived fascism into a child art form. How can you not try to catch that in your hands and do something with it?
[...]
I wanted to write about the Trump era, but I didn’t want to write, “Fascism sucks” or “Trump sucks.” That doesn’t get you anywhere. You’re taking your Twitter feed and putting it in panels. What I wanted to do is capture the emotion of the period, and the anxiety, the way Alan Moore captured the anxiety of the ‘80s or Kirby captured the anxiety of the ‘70s or even Lee captured the optimism of the ‘60s; to capture the feeling, more than the politics. That’s what interests me. That’s how you make something that’s just not a polemic. After page four, the whole thing goes into a 9-panel grid, and it’s to give you a sense of that claustrophobia. To give you a sense of what it is to be trapped, not only in the themes and the words, but in the actual panel structure. He’s trapped behind those bars we had in Omega Men, and how does he break out?
just go ahead and inject this shit directly into my veins.
#1324  May 16, 2017, 11:41:20 pm
    • USA
#1325  June 10, 2017, 04:06:29 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
#1326  June 10, 2017, 04:40:09 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
It did actually happen.

Now whether they go through with it is another thing entirely; personally I hope they do because it's a wealth of untapped story potential for both characters and, in my opinion, having a wife and child has made Superman one of the most entertaining comics in Rebirth. I'd love to see that flipped on its head with Bruce, Selina and Damian.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1327  August 10, 2017, 02:32:42 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
#1328  August 11, 2017, 05:29:01 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
"Move over, Robin. Batman has a new partner in crimefighting" is what I would have said to the current Robin if he existed.
#1329  August 11, 2017, 05:37:32 am
    • USA
Wolverine The Signal is Batman's new side kick.
http://nerdist.com/first-look-at-cully-hamners-batman-and-the-signal-designs-exclusive/
http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/The-Signal-design-by-Cully-Hamner-680x454.jpg
Duke's been around for 4 years now, has been a superhero for almost as long, and he very specifically isn't Batman's sidekick: the whole deal with his character, and his long-gestating official superhero identity has been that Batman wasn't training a new Robin, he's been trying to help Duke become a newer, better kind of superhero.
#1330  October 09, 2017, 06:08:15 am
    • USA
So, DC released the first six pages of Doomsday Clock at NYCC and it's quite the doozy. It's straight-up a full on sequel to Watchmen, and folks, it's pretty putrid. It's seriously reads like every generic sequel fan-fic that's been written about Watchmen, with all the terrible ideas that popped up in those fan-fics making an appearance: from Rorschach's journal (somehow) exposing Ozy's scheme, to Rorschach himself somehow coming back to life (ugh).

And like, look: I like Geoff Johns, and I think he's a good writer when he's got the right subject material, but this? This is just bad. Johns is clearly trying his hardest to ape Alan Moore in structure and prose, and it's really, really not working out. It's just not what he's good at doing! To say nothing of all the ethical red flags this dumb comic raises!
#1331  October 09, 2017, 06:49:23 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
IT'S GONNA BE HYPE YOU JUST WAIT.
#1332  October 09, 2017, 11:45:04 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Christ that's depressing.

Just read Pax Americana instead. It's a spiritual sequel/dicking of Watchmen that's really good and only one issue long.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:29:46 pm by Mechy
#1333  October 09, 2017, 01:39:35 pm
alan moore is gonna need a big coffin.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
in all seriousness tho, why is dc so insistent on reviving the watchmen? did the "before" prequels sell all that well?
because at this point i can't help but think they do it just to spite alan moore.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#1334  October 10, 2017, 09:45:19 pm
    • USA
I'm not certain as to whether the Before Watchmen books outright bombed or not, but they definitely underperformed expectations, and scuttled DC's plans for more Watchmen prequels and spin-offs. It turns out the thing that made the original Watchmen so popular was not the characters and setting, but the creators. Who would've thunk it?

But I suspect Doomsday Clock will do very well for itself; it's a singular book, instead of an entire line of books, and the creative team is made up of some of DC's most popular and beloved creators. And it has Superman in it!
#1335  January 02, 2018, 04:19:12 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/2017-year-almost-everything-went-wrong-marvel-comics-1070616

In a surprise move, top Marvel writer Brian Michael Bendis left the publisher after nearly two decades to sign with DC Entertainment. That was far from the biggest departure from the company that month, however; within two weeks, news broke that Alonso was stepping down immediately as editor-in-chief in what was described as a “mutual decision” between himself and Marvel.

Wow. This might make me buy DC comics again.  :book:
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#1336  January 04, 2018, 04:08:20 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
I bet DC is all :D when they heard that news.
#1337  February 17, 2021, 05:46:40 am
    • USA
So hey, remember those Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 books that were fun and cool and good and thus unfit to survive in this horrible world? (I think Wonder Woman is currently still going but IDK about its future post-Rebirth, but I'm not especially hopeful!) Well anyways, last year there was a pitch for another comic sequel series to a popular adaptation of a DC character:

A MOTHERFUCKING TIM BURTON BATMAN COMIC

That sadly didn't get picked up.
LOL it's real now

miracles do come true :bigcry:
#1338  February 19, 2021, 04:48:56 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
I thought that this became real sometime. Definitely will check this one since i'm a huge fan of Reeve's Superman and the Keaton's Batman.
#1339  March 08, 2021, 07:29:35 am
    • Germany
Guys I have a question about the "Batman who Laughts" conclusion because I'm a little bit confused.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty