YesNoOk

Star-Lord (edit of Jason Todd) (Read 10648 times)

Started by CpnCrossfader, January 22, 2018, 09:23:30 pm
Share this topic:
Star-Lord (edit of Jason Todd)
#1  January 22, 2018, 09:23:30 pm
    • UK
Inspired by Yolomate's re-paletting of Sei's excellent Jason Todd as Chris Pratt's Peter Quill, I took the idea on a little further and gave him a few extra sprites, Star-Lord sounds, taunts and moves.

Download him here:  Star-Lord

Dance-Off:
 Hold down and press START to get Star Lord to bust some moves. (it boosts power, and there's also a decent low kick at the end).

Awesome Mix Tape:
 press Y + B together to change the background music to one of 5 random Guardians of The Galaxy Mixtape songs.

Warning: It's a big file- 42MB. This is because of the GOTG Awesome Mix Tape songs.

I might add more moves in the future, but I'd also welcome anyone else willing to contribute to this project.
Re: Star-Lord (edit of Jason Todd)
#2  January 22, 2018, 10:13:40 pm
    • USA
not gonna lie this is a pretty nifty idea

dev

#3  January 31, 2018, 06:30:43 am
    • UK
This looks horrible.

#4  January 31, 2018, 07:38:23 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
But why though? Posts like that are no good.
#5  January 31, 2018, 03:38:58 pm
    • UK
I welcome constructive criticism, but if you simply don't like it and have no other feedback to offer...
Just don't download it?
#6  January 31, 2018, 06:12:03 pm
#7  January 31, 2018, 07:20:30 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
No more posts like that. Clearly the above poster ignored my informal warning.

Consider that a formal mod warning. Don't just say that, you're giving no content when you post that and it's going to do nothing but disrupt.
#8  January 31, 2018, 10:25:05 pm
    • UK
2nd that
Pal swap at best and should be in edits

Ok, at least I have something to respond to this time.

I haven't tried to pass anyone else's work off as my own; I have literally pin-pointed the new content that I have added to the character in addition to the pal swap that you mentioned in the original post. Personally, I've never seen a MUGEN char before with the jukebox system that I created, so while it might not be very complex, it feels like an original concept to me, and merits the post.

I also clearly put in the title that it's an edit of another character, so if that annoys you, you had the choice to ignore the post rather than clicking on it in the first place.

Finally, if this is in the wrong section then I apologise for my impertinence!
#9  January 31, 2018, 11:27:37 pm
    • Bulgaria
Hello i remember when i made character like this one i had same comments is about permission if you dont get it or cant find the guy dont use the stuff because we losing creator and in the and all suffer.
#10  February 01, 2018, 12:00:54 am
    • UK
Thanks for trying to explain, but sorry, who is suffering, and how?

I made this character for my own game. I thought it was an interesting addition, and I have downloaded lots of great files from this site so I thought I'd take the time to post this one, (amongst other better received original works) in order to contribute back to the mugen community.

I can honestly say that I am surprised it has upset people. If I see a post that I don't want to use, I simply don't click on it.
#11  February 01, 2018, 12:33:44 am
    • Bulgaria
Creators I know are from comic book communities if we use their work without permission they can leave we losing talent many guys are already gone who is suffuring me,you all fans no characters,no stages, unfinished wips things like this.
#12  February 01, 2018, 12:46:42 am
    • UK
Ok, I understand what you mean now. I only do it as a hobby and personally I'd be flattered if anyone used some of my original sprites, but I hadn't thought about pro comic book artists being offended by it. I thought that referencing the original author/work was sufficient- Point taken.

If I do any more characters such as this one, I'll just use for my own game.
#13  February 01, 2018, 03:39:53 am
  • I'm a llama!
I live for these edits :) ... Don't listen to other people there just hating.
#14  February 03, 2018, 01:50:09 pm
I only do it as a hobby and personally I'd be flattered if anyone used some of my original sprites, but I hadn't thought about pro comic book artists being offended by it. I thought that referencing the original author/work was sufficient- Point taken.

Blagoy isn't talking about actual comic book artists, they're talking about the specific part of the MUGEN community that does comic book characters. A lot of people "leave" because other creators do what you've done (which honestly really isn't a big deal, but it seems to bother them for whatever reason.) Fans obviously don't want creators to leave when they're expecting certain WIPs to be finished or whatever.

Having said all that I'm not a fan of your edit, not really a fan of Guardians as a whole, but I WILL say that you should be encouraged to edit what you please and release what you will; credit is already given so you're not in the wrong. Don't feel like your work is inappropriate.

#15  February 03, 2018, 02:49:13 pm
    • UK
Thanks, you've explained that well.

I don't care if people don't want to download my work, I just guess I didn't really understand the negativity against it. As I keep saying, I viewed this forum as a sort of pick n mix of free content, if I didn't like something, I'd always appreciate that someone had put effort and time into creating it, and also uploading it, with no obligation to not just use out in their own game. So I still feel like it's a bit of an overreaction if I'm honest, but I get that just because I'm cool with people using my sprites to make their own stuff doesn't mean I should assume that everyone is.

My understanding and experience of MUGEN was that it was a free community of collaborative artists and users, I wasn't fully aware of the restrictions or etiquette. My other work on here recently has been generally well received, so I'm not going to stop posting stuff because people have criticised this, but I suppose I shouldn't be holding any hopes for a Star-lord character of the month award!
#16  February 03, 2018, 04:36:36 pm
My other work on here recently has been generally well received, so I'm not going to stop posting stuff because people have criticised this, but I suppose I shouldn't be holding any hopes for a Star-lord character of the month award!

Not unless you decide to put the work in to give him all new sprites, animation, and code. ;)

Everything else you said is about right, though. I wouldn't say there are restrictions in the community entirely so much as there are restrictions on certain forums, and above that, restrictions on certain work by certain authors; as long as you use publicly released work and credit the original authors (depends on whose work of course), there shouldn't be any real problems. Shouldn't. It does happen sadly.

I don't see where it's said that Sei's Jason Todd couldn't be used for repurposing, so if there's any proof of that then you can take steps to maybe speak to them personally or revoke the character.

#17  February 03, 2018, 04:39:34 pm
It is a free community of collaborative artists and users. People from other, worse Mugen forums try to apply rules that are completely nonsensical and not part of the rules of this forum. The correct response is to laugh at them and move on, because they're trying to say that their work, which was edited based on work by SNK and Capcom, can't somehow be edited by others in the exact same fashion.

That said, I'm not personally a fan of spriteswaps, or characters that are heavily derivative of others in general, be it a real fighting game character or another mugen character. But if you like making them and people like downloading them (which obviously they do, the quality bar for comic-based characters is SUPER low), there's nothing wrong with that at all.

It is polite to credit others, which you did. That's all that's required, anything else is irrational butthurt from whiny prima donnas.

edit: Holy shit you even put it in Edits & Add-ons. You're not even claiming it's a full character. Wow. Why is anyone complaining.
#18  February 03, 2018, 05:23:52 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I put it in Edits and Addons

For future reference Capn if you're building on top of an existing character this is where it goes
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time