YesNoOk

I'm new, need some tips with Sprites (Read 1443 times)

Started by Uziel, February 04, 2018, 01:24:48 am
Share this topic:
I'm new, need some tips with Sprites
New #1  February 04, 2018, 01:24:48 am
  • かわいいアーティスト
    • USA
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here. My friend told me about this game and I am loving it so far, and thinking about making my own character! I want to know as much information on sprites as possible. How big should I make them? How many should I have for each animation? Do the sizes need to match up with each animation set? What programs should I use to make them? Etc. I already have some experience as a basic coder and junior artist so don't be afraid to use any technical terms uwu

Thanks a bunch to anyone who helps! <3
Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:11:08 pm by Uziel
Re: I'm new, need some tips with Sprites
#2  February 04, 2018, 02:14:01 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Hi, welcome and etc :)

- SIZE: It depends on the style you want to give to your character. Also, be careful with proportions too. Street Fighter(specially Alpha) looks more cartoony than SNK, and CvS is kinda the halfway style between them. And of course, the size of each sprite MUST match with next or inside the character(not a big sprite for the gethit and a smaller one for a stand, for example).
- ANIMATION: Again, it lies in the style you want. Number of sprites in stand, punches, etc...varies from KoF to SF3.
- PROGRAMS: I use MSPaint and I'm quite happy with the results. Here's a trick: I often use Photoshop for "copy" an animation with rough lines, and then pick that sprite up to MSPaint and do the shading job.

Hope it helped.

See you!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#3  February 04, 2018, 05:32:20 am
  • かわいいアーティスト
    • USA
Hi, welcome and etc :)

- SIZE: It depends on the style you want to give to your character. Also, be careful with proportions too. Street Fighter(specially Alpha) looks more cartoony than SNK, and CvS is kinda the halfway style between them. And of course, the size of each sprite MUST match with next or inside the character(not a big sprite for the gethit and a smaller one for a stand, for example).
- ANIMATION: Again, it lies in the style you want. Number of sprites in stand, punches, etc...varies from KoF to SF3.
- PROGRAMS: I use MSPaint and I'm quite happy with the results. Here's a trick: I often use Photoshop for "copy" an animation with rough lines, and then pick that sprite up to MSPaint and do the shading job.

Hope it helped.

See you!

Alright, I can see what you're saying. I'll keep those tips in mind, thanks!
One more thing though, If i make the size of the sprite larger/smaller, will that affect the size in game? I was thinking of having the sprite be in between about 100-200 pixels tall, but I don't want him to be super tiny or have him take up half the screen >_<
#4  February 04, 2018, 09:58:49 am
    • France
Hi and welcome aboard !
You can use KFM's sprites as a basis for your sprite canvas.

Fyi : Mugen 1.0 default screen resolution is 640x480.
On that basis, KFM's sprites are exactly in the range you've mentionned.
So go for it and show us your work in the Project section ;)
- samurais, swords & stuff ? → Another Blade
#5  February 04, 2018, 01:45:34 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Uziel, make the sprites the size you feel most comfortable illustrating. There are more than 1 default sizes in Mugen 1.0+. On top of that you can adjust the scale of the character in game.

You'll want to look into the methods some of the Pros use to sprite.
You'll want to check this out. http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/rotating-and-scaling-sprites-easy-way-149886.0.html

You're going to want to get familiar with palettes. You may also want to look up frankenspriting tutorials. There are some fantastic tutorials on youtube on the fighting game character creation process.

You may want to look this over also http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/tutorial-part-1-getting-started-sprites-170082.0.html
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv