YesNoOk

Easy Way To Adapt Sprite to Palette? (Read 3082 times)

Started by Afterthought, February 05, 2018, 01:25:06 am
Share this topic:
Easy Way To Adapt Sprite to Palette?
#1  February 05, 2018, 01:25:06 am
Silly inquiry time. (Apologies if this has already been answered, is in the wrong place, etc. etc.)

Okay so if anyone remembers the old MvC Akuma that vyn made a while back, they would remember he has a Misogi as a level 3 hyper. I'm attempting to port those sprites over to REDHOT's Akuma, whose sprites, while obviously the same color, do not have its default palette mapped out the same way as vyn's.

Logically since both characters have sprites that share the same colors, I should be able to port in between with no issues, but forcing the palette in FF3 messes everything up (REDHOT's palette has both character colors and effect colors in one), and using the palette that comes with vyn's sprite won't do me good since I need REDHOT's palette in the first place.

I am aware an easy fix would be to redo the palette in a program like Photoshop (tedious but easy) but I wanted to know if there were an even EASIER way. Any help is appreciated.
Re: Easy Way To Adapt Sprite to Palette?
#2  February 05, 2018, 01:05:33 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So if you're using Fighter Factory 3 to import from 1 to the other, FF3 kinda forces the palette upside down.. if I'm remembering correctly.
And if the colors arent numerically exactly the same FF3 can switch them, but it wont be perfect.

What you'll want to do is grab 1 sprite from REDHOT's Akuma and import it over to vyn's. You'll want to use one with a palette with high contrast. You can do this by going to the sprite, sliding the palette selector to the one you want, then hit apply the current palette to the specified sprites. Write down the number for later. Then just go to Vyn's and under sprites, hit import from another project.

Once it's into Vyn's Akuma you should go to one of your sprites. Go into Advanced Palette Editor. Then hit the Save as Group/Index button and save it as a new number. Exit the palette editor and save the char.
Go to the REDHOT sprite and copy all of the colors over to the right side. The palette you saved should be the last palette, so scroll all the way over to it. REDHOT's Akuma should look like crap so scroll the sprites bar to one of Vyn's sprites and it should look normal.
Move the skin from the right over to the left, move the pants, hair, all of it group by group until you know you have the exact colors where they should be. Save the palette as a new palette.

So now you have REDHOT's colors on Vyn's Akuma's palette. Go to your group you want to kick over to REDHOT's Akuma in Sprites. Just like you changed REDHOT's sprite you want to change the group to the palette you just made. Once the group has the palette on it, go into REDHOT's Akuma and hit import from another project. Type in the group, then use Force/Adapt and type in the Palette number you used in REDHOT for it's high contrast.

If the palette in REDHOT's uses the same color multiple times, you're going to have a bad time. If it's all the FX and stuff, you can just black them out. Or set them to neon blue. Then save as a new palette. When you import Vyn's sprites you'd use the "neon blue" palette number.

So this explanation may be my base for this post spot filler. I've been meaning to make THIS tutorial for a while now...
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/use-fighter-factory-3-make-palette-fast-177794.0.html

vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  February 05, 2018, 04:27:23 pm
I'll try this out and get back to you ASAP. Thanks for your input!

EDIT: Okay I'm completely lost at the moment. I can definitely read but importing and remapping is getting confusing. Is there a quicker way we can discuss this (like Discord or some other DM service)?

EDIT 2: Never mind, got it working! Thanks again my man.

EDIT 3 (This is getting exasperating.): Now none of the palettes past 1, 1 work. RIP

Any ideas?
Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:24:12 pm by Afterthought
#4  February 06, 2018, 02:53:17 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I forgot to tell you to reset the palette change you originally did.
Scroll through REDHOT's Akuma to where you changed the palette and set it back to 1,0 or 0,0 or what ever the default palette was. That should end up fixing it.
And if you haven't, do the same for the sprites you imported.
#5  February 06, 2018, 04:50:51 am
I tried that, yeah. Reverted any and all palette changes, and the palettes all work properly on the new sprites. Read up for a while on how to get palettes working again: saved the .sff as 1.0, adding palette-related code to the character, etc. REDHOT's Akuma didn't have this issue prior so I'm at a loss at what other solution there could be.
#6  February 06, 2018, 01:18:50 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
FF3 seems to have a bug when saving the sff files sometimes.
Save the file as a completely new sff away from the character. Then manually move the file in. Then switch the names of the files so the new one gets loaded.
If all you did was import sprites from another project it should be a simple fix. Try moving that particular group of sprites to the end of the line. Move that group down until it's the last sprites and see if that changes it.
#7  February 07, 2018, 02:19:07 am
None of that worked either. It's all good though, my main problem was solved. I appreciate all of your help!