YesNoOk

the tournament tracking thread ~2016 edition~ (Read 507344 times)

Started by c001357, January 27, 2011, 06:28:26 am
Share this topic:
Re: the tournament tracking thread ~2016 edition~
#1621  February 07, 2018, 06:11:34 am
    • Mexico
Either that or the rumors of using unauthorized EVO footage for that eSports proposal vid ticking Wizard off were true.

I wouldn't be surprised but if you want me to be fair, there ARE legitimate reasons why Infinite should never touch EVO as it is right now.

Okay, these are all very SUBJECTIVE reasons that only reflect your personal stance on the game's status as an EVO title and you really shouldn't pass any of them off as "legitimate". Nothing you really said proves your point.
#1622  February 07, 2018, 06:15:57 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Right now, people want to watch DBFZ more and there's more to suggest that the signups would be bigger. Make no mistake, that was the choice and it's just that simple. I don't think Melee should still be at EVO, but as long as people want to play it and watch it it will be. UMVC3 squeaked in with a fan vote last year, maybe Infinite would have done better and maybe it wouldn't have but the undisputed new hotness is Dragonball.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1623  February 07, 2018, 06:20:42 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
DBFZ makes complete sense its doing great and people want to watch it me include but why CrossTagBattle? The game doesnt come out till May 31 in asia and june in america and so far most top players are more into DBFZ. Also the whole hat thing and saying that people dont enter it at tournament. Im not angry with the fact that game is not at evo Im pissed off by the dumb excuses Wizard use to defend his choice. Again it really feels like Arc Sys had a lot to say in this and the whole community first thing just feel fake as fuck and just leave a really bad taste in my mouth.
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#1624  February 07, 2018, 06:21:55 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Cross Tag is a replacement for Blazblue and is meant to fill that niche. Frankly, they should have kept Centralfiction but it is what it is.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#1625  February 07, 2018, 06:23:56 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Honestly its not like the situation between the marvel community and Wizard was good anyways with how poorly umvc3 was run last year. Hopefully the side event does really well. Its still going to be hype to watch it and Im still going to support it
#1626  February 07, 2018, 06:37:49 am
  • The Goddess Returns
Yeah fuck anyone that actually like the game and wanted to compete at evo and the people that wanted to watch high level mvci gameplay. Its fine if you dont like the game but let people that enjoy it have fun playing it and watching it. Plus not like you are force to watch the game if its at evo. I dont like IJ2 I just dont watch it during evo.

*Sigh*
There are plenty of communities that never had opportunities to even BE at EVO or communities that only had one time to be at EVO.
Marvel has been with EVO for over a decade, blame the shitty state that Marvel and Capcom left on the game than crying about the fact that Marvel didn't make it because of Wizard.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1627  February 07, 2018, 06:41:24 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
I blame both cuz Im not blind. Capcom is to blame but you cant honestly tell me it was not about the money with arc sys. Having the marvel cap and then removing it before revealing its tag battle is also pretty dumb  but the dumbest thing Wizard did was saying no one was playing the game at tournament. I can smell bullshit and  I think its fair to complain when someone is legit lying.
#1628  February 07, 2018, 06:44:33 am
    • Mexico
*Sigh*
There are plenty of communities that never had opportunities to even BE at EVO or communities that only had one time to be at EVO.
Marvel has been with EVO for over a decade, blame the shitty state that Marvel and Capcom left on the game than crying about the fact that Marvel didn't make it because of Wizard.

You say that but even Melty Blood has had an EVO. Also, the person making people sigh in this thread is you.
#1629  February 07, 2018, 06:56:24 am
  • The Goddess Returns
*Sigh*

You say that but even Melty Blood has had an EVO. Also, the person making people sigh in this thread is you.

Except many of the people who commented on it is on my side, you and that other guy is the only one making fools of themselves.

And okay...Melty Blood had an EVO...why should Infinite?

Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#1630  February 07, 2018, 06:57:49 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Cuz its a new game and people like playing it and watching it. Also its doing pretty well in tournament recently and top8 have been pretty hype. I dont think it needs any other reason. Wizard said it himself they want games that people enter at tournament and MVCI has that
#1631  February 07, 2018, 07:13:07 am
    • Mexico
Except many of the people who commented on it is on my side, you and that other guy is the only one making fools of themselves.

And okay...Melty Blood had an EVO...why should Infinite?

There's a diference between disagreeing on MvCI's presence at EVO (which is what some did) and then doing the same thing but while calling the game an insult to the FGC and saying it is devoid of any value for EVO, which is exactly what only you are doing, GTOAkira and I are not being foolish by expressing our discontent with Marvel getting the shaft and with Mr, Wizard's poor way of handling things.

And Melty Blood is an anime fighter and at its core is very niche, more so than Marvel, and as such has a very dedicated fan base. The fact that it got an EVO is a huge honor not many (if any more) non-ArcSys anime fighters will ever get. My point is, I'm not here to convince you that MvCI should get an EVO (which I still think it should), but I will tell you that a lot of communities have had at least one shot to be represented at EVO, which goes against something you were using to justify MvCI's absence (apart from all your other personal opinions).
#1632  February 07, 2018, 08:52:22 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Let's not pretend that there weren't various warning signs pointing to Marvel's absence. Infinite has been a PR nightmare for Capcom the whole time. From SFV's rocky start not helping with Infinite's own rocky start, Combofiend's poor wording about functions, bad looking models to Marvel meddling too much on the roster and leaving a MCU focused Marvel side with a lack of notable fan favorites (Not that Capcom's side wasn't much better.)

The major tournament made for Infinite was a gimmick tournament and IIRC, didn't go quite as smoothly as intended.

The general disinterest overall for the game. Most descriptions I've heard were summarized as "The gameplay is fine, but the game overall feels eh."

Dragonball FighterZ reveal and subsequent release. DBFZ was a welcomed alternative to the "marvel styled" fighter and many were ready to jump ship to it after how Infinite disappointed many. The steam user info has actually had Infinite with 0 players multiple times.

You have to remember that it's not the interest in people willing to play, but also the number of spectators willing to watch. The overall backlash and disinterest in Infinite is what disqualified it from an EVO spot.
#1633  February 07, 2018, 08:57:29 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Again thats not my issue I understand that the game is not doing well. My issue is the bullshit statement he made about people not entering the game at event and that thing with the Marvel cap being there to bait people. Just feel like he did not really care at all about the marvel community. Im not suprise if it is indeed the case since umvc3 was run really poorly last year
#1634  February 07, 2018, 09:09:30 am
  • The Goddess Returns
There's a diference between disagreeing on MvCI's presence at EVO (which is what some did) and then doing the same thing but while calling the game an insult to the FGC and saying it is devoid of any value for EVO, which is exactly what only you are doing, GTOAkira and I are not being foolish by expressing our discontent with Marvel getting the shaft and with Mr, Wizard's poor way of handling things.

You know, I'm reading this paragraph and nothing you said makes sense, not one thing.
Marvel Infinite IS an insult to the FGC and devoid of any value especially with the push to E-Sports I myself hate. The fact you continually do not understand that yet blame everything but Capcom and Marvel's incompetence makes it even more ridiculous you don't understand that yet.

And Melty Blood is an anime fighter and at its core is very niche, more so than Marvel, and as such has a very dedicated fan base. The fact that it got an EVO is a huge honor not many (if any more) non-ArcSys anime fighters will ever get. My point is, I'm not here to convince you that MvCI should get an EVO (which I still think it should), but I will tell you that a lot of communities have had at least one shot to be represented at EVO, which goes against something you were using to justify MvCI's absence (apart from all your other personal opinions).

*Sigh* I feel like you completely missed exactly what I'm saying in the first place. Pray tell, why is there 2 Smashes on the main stage? Tell me why DBFZ is getting on the Main Stage? Please tell me despite SFV's massively rocky start does it continue to get top billing at EVO? It's because that when Melty Blood was on the stage and now is 2 completely different times, especially with them going to the E-Sports direction.

You are very lucky that it's just me and Darkflare trying to bring in common sense here rather than the usual brigade or they would really blow you guys up for not understanding why Infinite is not on that roster.

#1635  February 07, 2018, 09:15:58 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
I said I understood why it was not there I said that I was pissed off by the fact that Wizard had bullshit excuses also the fact that there was a marvel hat the entire stream until it got replaced by the blazblue one. Thats what piss me off. I am fine with the game not being there it wont stop me form enjoying it I just dont like how dishonest Wizard is about the whole we care about the community first. Its pretty clear that Arc Sys had an impact. Also saying MVCI is an insult to the fgc is just dumb. The game is not perfect by any means and is definitely not the prettiest game but at its core its a really good fighting game. A lot of people enjoy it. Its fine if you dont like it but calling it an insult is just overreacting
#1636  February 07, 2018, 01:39:02 pm
    • Mexico
Let's not pretend that there weren't various warning signs pointing to Marvel's absence. Infinite has been a PR nightmare for Capcom the whole time. From SFV's rocky start not helping with Infinite's own rocky start, Combofiend's poor wording about functions, bad looking models to Marvel meddling too much on the roster and leaving a MCU focused Marvel side with a lack of notable fan favorites (Not that Capcom's side wasn't much better.)

The major tournament made for Infinite was a gimmick tournament and IIRC, didn't go quite as smoothly as intended.

The general disinterest overall for the game. Most descriptions I've heard were summarized as "The gameplay is fine, but the game overall feels eh."

Dragonball FighterZ reveal and subsequent release. DBFZ was a welcomed alternative to the "marvel styled" fighter and many were ready to jump ship to it after how Infinite disappointed many. The steam user info has actually had Infinite with 0 players multiple times.

You have to remember that it's not the interest in people willing to play, but also the number of spectators willing to watch. The overall backlash and disinterest in Infinite is what disqualified it from an EVO spot.

Most of the people supporting MvCI aren't blind to its faults but nevertheless enjoy the finished product for what it is because the gameplay is completely solid and fun. I agree that with MvCI, while having a constant decent to high playerbase at tournaments, the spectator base hasn't been constant. That being said, BftS still did alright all things considered, it got around 46k views in when it was featured on CapcomFighters rather than its own, small, unknown stream, but I do agree that overall it wasn't run very well (top 2 grand finals right before CPT top 8 is a very puzzling choice and there were times it was actually competing for views with SFV in CC, which, in retrospect, also wasn't a very good idea). Still, MvCI is Marvel, and it fills the niche of chaotic, tag team gameplay fighters in a way that no other game does (MvCI and DBFZ are overall VERY different).

Also, MvCI has arguably never been featured in an event as big as EVO as a main stage game, so there's really no way to know how many views it will get. You could say that, due to all the negative PR and general roster and art style complaints, that many casual EVO viewers would opt out of it, but then there are the legacy EVO viewers and other such viewers that want to watch "Mahvel", because the franchise fills a certain quota for diversity, which, at the end of the day, is what EVO is about. That's why Tekken is there, that's why there are two Smash games there (which I don't personally agree with), that's why Street Fighter is there, that's why a Netherrealm fighter is there (which I personally also don't like), etc. I really can't see DBFZ filling that quota, but rather, coming to fill its own. At this point though, it's not like we're ever going to know how MvCI would fare as a main stage EVO game.

The bit about negative PR affecting a game's chances at EVO is an interesting subject though, because games with similar or worse PR have had the chance to be at EVO. The biggest example I can think of is SFxT which had the whole issue with gems, console exclusives and on-disc DLC, and that still got 2 EVOs. Then there's BBCTB and even SFV fell into this at one point (not that it mattered much though, its a mainstream SF game so it was going to be featured nonetheless), so we can really assume Mr. Wizard's personal opinion also influenced things this time around (I believe SFxT wasn't going to get its second EVO and there was a lot of convincing to do for it after the game got fixed). Still, you can argue that MvCI did worse in this aspect, but I personally don't think that was reason to completely deny it a spot (especially after the player base is being presented as the main factor for its exclusion).

That's all I'm saying. I personally love to play and watch this game.
Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:42:53 pm by PBRTODD101
#1637  February 07, 2018, 05:22:01 pm
  • SNK is life
I am sad because no KOF XIV, but I am glad DBFZ is the new Mahvel.

DBFZ is going to be hype.
#1638  February 07, 2018, 05:22:49 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I'm sorry, but how does DBFZ not fill the chaotic team based fighter quota? Most of the mechanics are reminiscent of Marvel mechanics. Obviously, there are some differences so it stands out on its own.
#1639  February 07, 2018, 05:28:25 pm
  • SNK is life
#1640  February 07, 2018, 06:41:35 pm
    • Mexico
I'm sorry, but how does DBFZ not fill the chaotic team based fighter quota? Most of the mechanics are reminiscent of Marvel mechanics. Obviously, there are some differences so it stands out on its own.

Not that it doesn't, it does, but it doesn't work like Marvel. It's like this, the core gameplay is tag based and fast-paced, but each do it in  their own ways. Marvel opts for deep team synergy with the stones and the freedom tag mechanic and the overall pace of the matches is different. DBFZ is a different, straightforward approach to the genre as it goes to 3v3 and is basically all out for rushdown. Each differs in tactics and playstyles, so there are enough differences so that each of them can cement their own players and audience. They're very much not interchangeable, so it's not insane to have both of them at EVO (see Melee and Sm4sh). BBCTB is also a tag team fighter but doesn't seem as chaotic. They're like different flavors of ice cream.

It's like SFV and IJ2. They're both 1v1 2D fighters with the same objective, but you go about it differently. Combos work differently, specials work differently, there are game mechanics unique to each game, but at their core, they're still fighting games. Having both of them offers diversity for players and audiences alike.