YesNoOk

BATTO girl - Hibiki x Yumeji (Read 10255 times)

Started by mr_bourrepalestick, February 04, 2018, 05:19:52 pm
Share this topic:
BATTO girl - Hibiki x Yumeji
#1  February 04, 2018, 05:19:52 pm
    • France
Hi everyone !
Lately, I've decided to do my own spriting work. Which involves sketching and drawing and other cool activities.

The subject : a girl character with a sword (sorry: a Katana), which fights with the Batto style.
My main inspirations are Hibiki from The Last Blade series and Yumeji (and Ukyo) from the Samurai Spirit series.

The goal #1 : have all the required sprites for the character, in a high resolution (at least 720p for Mugen 1.1).
goal #2 : all the normals & custom
goal #3 : effects & smears

- samurais, swords & stuff ? → Another Blade
Re: BATTO girl - Hibiki x Yumeji
#2  February 04, 2018, 05:26:12 pm
    • France
Some sketches to test walk animation

Spoiler: walking sprite sketches (click to see content)

And crouching position

#3  February 04, 2018, 05:37:07 pm
    • France
Those first sketches help me to better consider all the assets I'll need to get my animations in the next steps.
I've made some more on a paper when exploring attack movement, but i'll need to take pictures or scan them. Maybe another time.

Anyway, here are some more sketches I've made. In a future step, they'll be on specific and separate layers which I'll be using in an animation software. AfterEffect or SynfigStudio, I don't know yet (I'm just starting on both)... Anyone has an advice on one of those 2 ? Rigging tips or smthg ?

Character's front pose :

Exploring right hand poses :
#4  February 11, 2018, 07:59:13 pm
    • France
Today, some foot poses exploration

#5  February 11, 2018, 08:44:53 pm
  • Cell is the most ironic villain of all time.
    • Italy
    • mehdaouisami@rocketmail.com
Wow that's some sweet drawing. Cool!!

#6  February 11, 2018, 10:23:05 pm
    • France
Thank you ! Glad you like it :)
#7  February 19, 2018, 05:02:54 am
  • war is always over mugen
  • the solitare blade of light
    • Uruguay
i like but yumeji is a mistertous gender you say is a girl becuase you want? well...have fun with your work man :D

ExL

#8  February 19, 2018, 01:42:49 pm
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
TheRedBeast, this girl is based of Yumeji and Hibiki, not actual Yumeji so mr_bourrepalestick's hands aren't tied by that mystery here :-) Even though it's kinda more of Yumeji in appearance we hadn't seen colour scheme yet and moves will be mix.

Mr_bourrepalestick, glad to see you work! Project got more ambitious now. Don't know where it'll lead it, but for sure it'll look awesome with art like that :kugoi
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
#9  February 22, 2018, 01:58:09 am
    • USA
These were drawn on a tablet right? I'd be immensely impressed if done with a mouse because I can't draw anything with a mouse for the life of me.
#10  February 24, 2018, 08:27:22 pm
    • France
i like but yumeji is a mistertous gender you say is a girl becuase you want? well...have fun with your work man :D

Like ExL said, it's more about a character inspired from Yumeji's battoJutsu style (actually Ukyo's if one wants to be honest). And I'd like that future character to be a girl :°)
I knew Yumeji had some kind of mistery and stuff, but didn't know it was about the gender ... Could you tell more about it ?

Hey EXL !!! Glad to see you again after my few months break ! Your compliments and encouraging words mean a lot man ! I'll keep on doing my best. You know ;°)    Cool to have you aboard !

These were drawn on a tablet right? I'd be immensely impressed if done with a mouse because I can't draw anything with a mouse for the life of me.
;D  Neither do I ! neither do I ! Do you draw stuff on a tablet too ?
btw, the tablet I'm using (and it's been since 2012 !) is an old model : Bamboo CTH670S by Wacom . They don't make that one anymore. It's absolutely not a high/pro quality stuff. But it's smooth and sensitive enough to have fun with it as you can see :°)
#11  February 24, 2018, 11:53:38 pm
    • France
Today, I've tried exploring an alternative stance : character's back facing the opponent.
So in the sketches below, the Batto girl is supposed to be at pl.1 position.

ExL

New #12  February 25, 2018, 07:12:46 am
  • 1-800-SUICIDE
Man, I hate when my internet gets slow, it just ruined well thought reply... I'll write later, but the point was - I'd rather go with Hibiki's stance, it's more feminine...
---
Here goes. Glad you understood me right even though there was typo, meant "glad to see your work", not "you work", I'm not that evil :-D
So yes, Ukyo have more masculine stance, Umeji is OK, but better go somewhere different. There're Kamui in Arcana Heart 3 and Uruzuha in Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late, but even being cool characters their stances are not ones I'd called battle exactly. If anything - Setsuka from Soul Calibur have a nice stance. Or you can look for Mitsuhide Akechi from Samurai Warriors series, he have rather simple stance, but it'll work.
BTW Way Of Samurai 4 have that style, it's tedious to get styles there, but game's golden mine for inspiration for such project ;-)

With hand-drawn sprites it opens up a great possibilities for more interesting representatives for each style, but limits the number of characters. So with shorter roster everyone must count even more(so don't forget to consult me on them too :-P ). Maybe we should sit out and think some initial characters besides this, hmmm, Himeji(I wonder what it means in japanese) ;-)
"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.
Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:10:10 am by ExL