YesNoOk

Anyone suffering from "Artist's Block?" (Read 8367 times)

Started by rgveda99, February 23, 2018, 03:46:46 am
Share this topic:
Anyone suffering from "Artist's Block?"
#1  February 23, 2018, 03:46:46 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Trying to get back to spriting but can't seem to overcome my artist's block.

Any artist here who is suffering from it?

What were the things you did to overcome it?

Right now I'm trying a game app called Superbetter just to increase my willpower so I can get things done.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Re: Anyone suffering from "Artist's Block?"
#2  February 23, 2018, 04:22:55 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
I have found that making a set time daily for art/sprites has really helped me. Getting in a daily routine makes you want to do your routine even if you don’t want to do the actual art/sprites, once you get started your interest returns.

Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:31:38 pm by ink
#3  February 23, 2018, 07:10:56 am
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
I have found that making a set time daily for art/sprites has really helped me. Getting in a daily routine makes you want to do your routine even if you don’t want to do the actual art/sprites, once you get started you’re interest returns.

I can agree with what you just said but applied to coding lol.
I make set schedules on what I'll do for the day like yesterday
I set a time to sit with mugen and do specific things instead of
sitting down and going to work testing everything and doing
updates on the fly I just told myself in gonna mess with just this,
work on it until I'm satisfied and I'm done for the day.

Tommorow is another day and I'll do this next.
#4  February 23, 2018, 07:28:43 pm
  • More blood and gore please.
    • USA
    • johncrystal00@embarqmail.com
I have found that making a set time daily for art/sprites has really helped me. Getting in a daily routine makes you want to do your routine even if you don’t want to do the actual art/sprites, once you get started you’re interest returns.

I can agree with what you just said but applied to coding lol.
I make set schedules on what I'll do for the day like yesterday
I set a time to sit with mugen and do specific things instead of
sitting down and going to work testing everything and doing
updates on the fly I just told myself in gonna mess with just this,
work on it until I'm satisfied and I'm done for the day.

Tommorow is another day and I'll do this next.

I've been doing this too. Making daily goals works, and I've actually been cutting down on my todo list. Sucker kept growing. But definitely getting on a schedule to do anything is always a good idea like ink said. Set yourself up to want to do it daily. Like exercising. You have to train your body to crave it. If it doesn't get it you don't feel right about it. Do the same for your hobbies. If you're not into it then do something else for a change. That's why I got 2-3 mods that I work on at a time. Get bored with 1 move to another. You'll get back around to all of them eventually.
#5  February 23, 2018, 07:34:30 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Try working in intervals too. Like, 30 min work then 10 min break. That and a schedule helped me.
This is a generic forum signature.
#6  February 23, 2018, 08:42:26 pm
    • USA
And also play some games. Check out other people's work. Watch a cool movie. Engross yourself in other people's creativity.
#7  February 23, 2018, 08:53:34 pm
  • Raging Fist
What about days where you just feel very lazy to do anything after a hard day's work?
#8  February 23, 2018, 08:59:50 pm
    • USA
That's where the schedule thing comes into play. If you make yourself addicted to something you'll have to do it or you won't feel complete. Tired or not, if it makes you feel good, you'll do it. At least that works for me.
#9  February 25, 2018, 03:44:51 am
  • all is love in fair and war
^huh?

that works maybe if you do physical exercise since your brain creating that chemical (insert name here since I forgot what) that mildly addictive and makes you get hooked by it and want to do it everyday

not in drawing... your physic is not used enough for your brain to produce it, I have thumb cramps, middle finger bump from 6hrs+ drawing stuff and still no craving it.

best motivator is to have friends with same hobby/ profession and share your latest progress with them through "What you draw today" WA group or something to create a constant peer pressure.
#10  February 26, 2018, 02:58:05 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
that works maybe if you do physical exercise since your brain creating that chemical (insert name here since I forgot what) that mildly addictive and makes you get hooked by it and want to do it everyday

I suggest yoga, since it's glorified stretching, and ti's relative less tiring that other kind fo exercise, I kind of do that at work.
#11  February 26, 2018, 06:07:48 pm
    • USA
^huh?

not in drawing... your physic is not used enough for your brain to produce it, I have thumb cramps, middle finger bump from 6hrs+ drawing stuff and still no craving it.

best motivator is to have friends with same hobby/ profession and share your latest progress with them through "What you draw today" WA group or something to create a constant peer pressure.

It works for me just the same. I too have a middle finger bump from 30+ years of drawing. It'll always be there.
#12  February 26, 2018, 06:25:32 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
^huh?

It may not be the same as exercising but you still train yourself to want it. Maybe just from the satisfaction of accomplishing something.

I agree on having a peer to help motivate you. The forum seem like a good place for that but people don't really cheer you on like you would think, they usually only comment if they see something that looks off. No comments on a post either means no one cares or you're doing something right. lol
#13  February 28, 2018, 01:53:29 am
  • all is love in fair and war
no need for cheers for me, but if my friend post their today's work I feel the need to also post,  just a small closed WA group works for me, since probably what we post shouldn't be posted on open forum anyway... sometime I post WIP and few hrs later update with further progress, and so on, easily done in WA because you can quickly snap and send.

#14  February 28, 2018, 04:53:09 am
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
I'm kind of in the same boat, but in terms for fan games. I've done many fan made game engines based on Mega Man, but I have not finished any of them. :(

I suppose the weakness is watching Twitch. The other being Super Mario Maker, which pretty much makes Mario levels (another part of game design I am interested in) that I spent at least 1 year playing around with.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#15  February 28, 2018, 06:08:07 am
  • Raging Fist
well I read about the whole "Schedule thing"...But I suck at that. seriously In terms of time placement I suck at it...
#16  February 28, 2018, 02:43:56 pm
  • Koi.
    • USA
    • Skype - Wizzy.WhipitWonderful
    • wizzywhipitwonderful.webs.com
Well, I get musicians block from time to time.

I usually just listen to other composers for a few days and study their works.
Slow and steady wins the race, but there is a darkness... growing inside of me...

And if you provoke it...

I will slay you all.

Donate Here
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=B92JC32FZ5CME
#17  February 28, 2018, 03:17:13 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
well I read about the whole "Schedule thing"...But I suck at that. seriously In terms of time placement I suck at it...

Try using the game app Superbetter. I just found it on Facebook. It was designed by a game designer who suffered a concussion. Was advised by her doctor to not do simple task like watching T.V. or keep away from lights because her brain needed a rest. Basically telling her not to live anymore. So she had to do a check list of very easy activities that ended up with her creating the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJy6NR1Zbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfBpsV1Hwqs

https://www.superbetter.com

Reason I'm using this is because I really don't get things done and I feel like mental resiliency is one of the things I need my brain to exercise since procrastination is a way of life for me. As an INFP our minds tend to go all over the place usually day dreaming.

I earn points as I accomplished my tasks and goals. You can even customized your own goals.

So far its working  when I'm moody or lack motivation especially on days when you're your own worst enemy.  :whip:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
sailormoongalaxy said:
#18  March 13, 2018, 10:26:28 pm
  • (Formerly ShinRyoga)
  • Christian / Artist / INFP personality
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/ShinSamus
I've been in a bit of an artist's block on and off for 15 years.  :mwhy:

Rgveda99: Thank you for sharing that information on SuperBetter! I'm going to check it out!
Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:13:44 am by AilynnMoore
#19  March 14, 2018, 03:03:41 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I've been in a bit of an artist's block off and on for 15 years.  :mwhy:

Rgveda99: Thank you for sharing that information SuperBetter! I'm going to check it out!

You're welcome.

The quests are fun and can range from easy to challenging. Most of the time its super easy. If I find something that's difficult I just use the skip button.

I'm actually planning on changing one of my Quests soon. It's that time of the month I get moody, depressed, unmotivated or all three.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#20  September 09, 2018, 10:53:35 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
And my artist's block is back again for the past 3 weeks. But one thing I found out just yesterday is that I may have or may not have high functioning depression which is a lot better than having Dysthymia.

Learning about the solutions for the INFP really helped a lot which are exercise (now one of my top priorities) and having structure. Having an app for goals really did help a lot in managing my mood disorder.

So I'm actually have a goal within the week of finishing one of Sailor Uranus anti-air using King's and Yung Mie's sprites.
sailormoongalaxy said: