YesNoOk

Palette Qns: the best possible way? (Read 10688 times)

Started by Redash, March 05, 2018, 01:48:54 pm
Share this topic:
Palette Qns: the best possible way?
#1  March 05, 2018, 01:48:54 pm
    • Singapore
Hi,

I just learn that Fighter Factory 3 can auto assign color and palette indexes to sprites with no index.

Currently this seems to be the best way to do palette indexing for new/converted sprites:
IMPT: Assuming your palette has all colors and the colors are in your intented location (like after a sort)
1. Edit a sprite (in yr fav tool, mine is paint)
 - if in FF3 then export the edited sprite
2. Save edited sprite as .bmp (transparency removed)
3. Final last touchup of colors etc
4. Import edited sprite into FF3
5. Use FF3 Advanced Palette to auto-index the edited sprite.

The above steps are what i did after a major palette update (like sorting etc)

The problem is it is very tedious, manual and time consuming still to do the same thing over thousands of sprites :^p

Anyone has a good script to automate the above steps?
I
Or there are already existing tools?

Pls advise.
Re: Palette Qns: the best possible way?
#2  March 05, 2018, 03:49:42 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Once you have an indexed palette in your project, you can then import all of the sprites that contain the exact same colors, and select "Force palette" and select that palette.

So if your characters default pal is 1,1 and you want to import all your other player anims, just choose force selected palette, choose 1,1 and there you go.

This will not work if the sprites have more, less, or different colors.

#3  March 12, 2018, 10:26:25 am
    • Singapore
Hi pardin my noobiness, what do u mean by "1,1"?
#4  March 12, 2018, 11:09:20 am
  • Opensource Programmer
    • mugenrebirth.forumfree.it
Any palette, in SFFv2 format, are stored with a couple of values (group, number) like sprites.
Group 1 palettes are the "main" palettes for the characters (1,1 to 1,x), containing all possible colors that the character will have, depending of wich button you pressed in game.
So using palette 1,1 - as suggested - will apply the default "main" palette 1. (I say "main" palette becouse it is possibile that some images will have a completely different palette, wich will never change. For example big portrait will have its own unique palette and it is usually stored as palette 2,1)
RETIRED FROM MUGEN WORLD.
All my creations (characters, stages, applications, etc) can be freely destributed and hosted anywhere without any limitation.

Developer of N.O.M.E.N. (Abandoned project).
#5  March 14, 2018, 12:41:08 pm
    • Singapore
Wow thanks for that. I am currently still picking up CNS coding skills yet to touch on sprites much. So above are really helpful. Thanks both