YesNoOk

Everything Anime and Manga Thread (Read 2411802 times)

Started by ( ゚ o゚) It's Urza!, August 27, 2007, 02:30:58 am
Share this topic:
Re: Everything Anime and Manga Thread
#12221  August 14, 2018, 02:31:29 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
#12222  August 21, 2018, 02:29:57 am
Started watching some summer stuff:

Gave Asobi Asobee a shot despite looking like another cutegirlsdoingcutethings kind of show which I wasn't in the mood for at the moment. Despite the sappy (but very catchy) opening it's a very off kilter comedy with a trio of charming asshole high school girls. The gags don't ever go where you expect them too and the pay off is usually worth it, for me at least. The sock puppet segments are good too.

Chio School Road has also been an entertaining albeit not as solid comedy. It's gags aren't consistently funny ,but there's always a bit of inventiveness in them that makes me stick around. Mananacchio was the peak for me and I don't know if they'll ever top that one.

Cells at Work has been a very good bit of edutainment(?)/work place comedy(?). I wasn't very good at the whole biology thing ,but portraying the body as a large city constantly being attacked by monsters with blood thirsty soldiers at ready to defend it seems like an apt idea. I much rather David Pro keep this going longer than doing Golden Wind, don't @ me.

Hanebado has been fine so far as a sport show. People seem to react negatively to immense amount of drama in the show, but I doesn't bother me much. A few of these characters probably do need some therapy. The visuals have been mostly above average so far and do a long way in selling the intensity the sport. Never cared this much about Badminton before watching this show.
#12223  September 20, 2018, 08:20:51 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Hiatus x Hiatus is back!

and so are wall of text

I legitimately don't understand why people say this is the best arc so far.
Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:14:51 pm by Foobs
#12224  September 20, 2018, 08:54:49 pm
i stopped reading it altogether. he might as well make it a novel with illustrations, he's barely trying.
its just info dump after info dump, thats what its become now. comics are a visual art you hack, trying showing more and telling less.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#12225  September 20, 2018, 09:38:50 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Normally, I'd defend the mangaka , this Hiatus X Hiatus is long overdue being done by a team of mangaka and writer , death note style. unless the hxh mangaka unbroke his back or something I don't see a reason to continue like this that is nto economical and even then, better split half of more production than keep all the 0 chapters comissions  for himself.
#12226  September 21, 2018, 07:35:22 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I think it was Kubo who once said that his way of dealing with writer's block was to create new characters.

I'm pretty sure Togashi does something similar. Between Kurapika and his allies, the zodiacs, the spiders, each prince and their entourage, the mob, the serial killer guys, and all the other miscellaneous characters I couldn't possibly care about he's juggling over 30 characters and at least 6 different plot lines which aren't going anywhere. What the fuck happened to Gin's group? When are we even getting to the dark continent?

I think Togashi doesn't get another mangaka to do the art because he can't come up with a way to untangle the mess he has written on a weekly basis, and needs long breaks to plan this whole arc over and over, or just come up with shit to slow the pacing even more.
#12227  September 25, 2018, 10:34:22 pm

Can't wait until October to arrive for some more glorious puppet murder.
#12228  September 25, 2018, 11:14:51 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Yeah boy

Whoever it was that was posting gifs from this show I owe you thanks because I can't get enough of it
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#12229  October 16, 2018, 04:45:12 am
Thoughts on this season's offerings.

JJBA Part 5-
Spoiler: It makes me feel sooooo horny! (click to see content)

Goblin Slayer - I'm just happy that the internet is happy about this adaption because if they weren't this Fall season would've been miserable. It was hard to be surprised by how brutal the show is because of how people were constantly mentioning this fact, yet I will applaud the staff for going as far as they did. My only dislike is the rpg-esque dialogue that creeps in, especially since the show just appears to be a fantasy and neither an isekai nor game world.

Reincarnated as a slime - I like the idea of an isekai with a non-human. It reminds me of I'm a Spider So What, but I can tell that it's not going to share Spider's struggle of starting from rock bottom. Another thing it shares is the really annoying disembodied voice and talking about the world in gaming terms. The latter is a real pet peevee of mine. The show is just fine otherwise.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 - A little too talky for a primere, but there's more potential for more cool things to happen. More puppet on puppet violence is always welcome.

Uzamaid - I already knew what I was getting into before watching this, yet the allure of an ex-military 8-pack maid is hard to endure. Too bad about the lolicon part. I was almost on board with the show until the whole "I only like girls who haven't had their periods yet" conversation started. It doesn't look like it's going to be full on creepy, but it's not a keeper for me. (That 8-pack though).

Double Decker: Doug & Krill - I find this show to be very entertaining as a thinly related sucessor to Tiger & Bunny. The characters are all some what interesting in ther odd-ball way and the show does a good job of not taking itself too seriously. Only thing  I dislike is the transition between 3d and 2d animation during the scenes where the characters put on their over designed work uniforms.

Zombie Land Saga - I watched this one without any sort of anticipation whatsoever so the fact that this was a show about a bunch of zombiefied idols took me by surprize. I'm loving what they're doing with the whole idea and think it's been hilarious so far. Good job Mappa, you got me to watch an idol and a zombie show again.

Bunny Girl Sempai - This just feels like a -monogatari clone to me, not that that's a bad thing. It's certainly has my attention.

SSSS. Gridman - This one is alright so far. There nothing particular about this show that makes me super excited to keep watching it. It feels a bit more subdued for a Trigger project and there's the distinct feeling that not all its cards are on the table yet. I'll keep watching.

Skullface Bookseller Honda-san - It's just a fun workplace comedy short.
#12230  October 16, 2018, 05:46:31 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
Goblin Slayer - I'm just happy that the internet is happy about this adaption because if they weren't this Fall season would've been miserable. It was hard to be surprised by how brutal the show is because of how people were constantly mentioning this fact, yet I will applaud the staff for going as far as they did. My only dislike is the rpg-esque dialogue that creeps in, especially since the show just appears to be a fantasy and neither an isekai nor game world.
Goblin Slayer is pretty much set in a DnD world. "He will not let anyone roll the dice".

#12231  October 19, 2018, 07:03:17 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
And the priestess can only use a miracle a handful of times before needing to recharge by sleeping, a sure sign that it's based on DnD.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:06:58 pm by Sookoll
#12232  October 19, 2018, 07:21:17 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
That reminds me that lodoss was basically a DnD party; then everything is inspired by lodoss (just like everything is insprired bu yu-no).
#12233  October 21, 2018, 09:28:01 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Goblin Slayer and Baki have given me fix of brutal violence I didn't even know I needed. Hopefully the Blu-ray releases makes some of Baki's godawful CGI a bit more palatable. Side note: Netflix has to get their shit together and do simulcasts like everyone else. Why the fuck do I have to pirate a show from a service I'm already paying for?

Karakuri Circus looks promising so far.

Reincarnated as a slime - I like the idea of an isekai with a non-human. It reminds me of I'm a Spider So What, but I can tell that it's not going to share Spider's struggle of starting from rock bottom. Another thing it shares is the really annoying disembodied voice and talking about the world in gaming terms. The latter is a real pet peevee of mine. The show is just fine otherwise.
*nods*

My only gripe with Goblin Slayer so far. I really dislike the RPG-like talk, even in isekai. I abhor it outside those contexts, one of the worst offenders being Fate. I get the authors want to give their world a tabetop flair to their worlds, but dropping RPG shit in the middle of regular conversations just makes the dialogue jarring.
Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 05:52:04 am by Foobs
#12234  October 22, 2018, 05:21:48 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I am already having a lot of fun thinking that, this season we got a lot of complaints because goblin slayer has rape and next season we will have a lot of complaints because shield hero does not has rape. shieldhero was slated for this season, too abd it got pushed for winter, it would have been hilarious to have both complains gong on in parallel.
#12235  October 22, 2018, 01:44:29 pm
interview with monster girls dub is pretty good , i dropped half way through when it was originally aired but i'm willing to try it again cause of the dub.

and about goblin slayer ... it's good but not that good or even controversial. probably because i've seen far much more fucked up things.

and my favourite series from last year is coming back, too bad i have to wait for 6 months for the bluray release. i still got my copy of the first season on storage i was planning to clean it up so i could watch the series again.
Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:00:49 pm by 地獄の花
#12236  October 22, 2018, 03:52:17 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
and my favourite series from last year is coming back, too bad i have to wait for 6 months for the bluray release. i still got my copy of the first season on storage i was planning to clean it up so i could watch the series again.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=KILjwOqvfx4[/youtube]

In my case it's a gamble on whether or not it will make it to my local movie teather. Heaven's feels was full so it will; I did not attend nanoha; broli's movie is a given to be there; So  I am just crossing my fingers for the konosuba movie.
#12237  October 22, 2018, 06:49:45 pm
we do have several theaters that show anime movies , but i really don't like watching in cinemas too loud especially if the crowd is full of weebs and nerds ...i still go if someone invites me and if i do go with friends or a date usually we end up goofing around in the dark.
#12238  November 09, 2018, 03:26:29 pm
Dorohedoro TV Anime in the works.

This is some good news. The fact that the manga is heading towards its conclusion means it could get a full adaption (not holding my breath for that one). Really needed to continue reading this, but maybe i'll just be lazy and watch the anime.

New Netflix "anime originals" Altered Carbon, Pacific Rim, Cagaster of Insect Cage, Yasuke and Trese.

Pacific Rim, which expands the world of the two live-action movies of the same name, returns to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jaegers. The original anime series follows two siblings — an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister — who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners are Craig Kyle (Thor:Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). The series comes from Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu)

Set in the same universe as the Netflix-live-action sci-fi series — which is currently in production — Altered Carbon
will explore new elements of the story mythology. The series comes from the animation studio, Anima and will be written by Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) and Tsukasa Kondo.

From the animation studio Gonzo (Hellsing, Afro Samurai), Cagaster of an Insect Cage  is set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious disease “Cagaster” turns people into giant murderous insects, this manga-based series follows the struggle of a young couple to stay alive. Koichi Chigira (Last Exile, Full Metal Panic!) directs.

Set in a war-torn Japan of mechs and magic, Yasuke follows a retired ronin who must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate. The series from the animation studio MAPPA will feature the voice of Sorry to Bother You star Lakeith Stanfield as the titular protagonist, which is based on the historical samurai of African origin who fought with Oda Nobunaga. Creator/Director/Executive Producer is LeSean Thomas (The Boondocks, Cannon Busters) while the Grammy-nominated Flying Lotus will compose the music and serve as an Executive Producer.

Trese  is set in a Manila where the mythical creatures of Philippine folklore live in hiding amongst humans, Alexandra Trese finds herself going head to head with a criminal underworld comprised of malevolent supernatural beings. This anime series is based on the Philippine graphic novel by the same name, created by Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldissimo. Jay Oliva (Wonder Woman, The Legend of Korra) will serve as Executive Producer. Producers are Shanty Harmayn and Tanya Yuson at BASE Entertainment, a studio based in Jakarta and Singapore.

Most interested in watching Yasuke to see how one of LeSean Thomas's anime projects finally get a complete release, not to mention Flying Lotus doing the scoring.
Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:43:02 pm by LurkerSupreme
#12239  December 07, 2018, 12:44:02 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#12240  December 09, 2018, 06:51:05 pm
Netflix Saint Seiya series trailer

Straight reboot of the Galaxian Wars + Black Saints arcs, and, according to the original announcement, the Silver Saints arc. Not particularly ugly (still a bit jarring in some random shots here and there but I mostly like it), you can see the strong influence of Legend of Sanctuary, Toei did say that they gained a lot of experience with the movie.
Army grade helicopters and tanks... Whatever. The anime did that too, who cares. Heroes still need faceless masses to slaughter so they can show us their powers.
Shun's a girl now. Having 17 out of the 18 biggest characters of the series be guys would be flat out unacceptable today, so throwing some gender swapping was obvious. Someone involved in the project confirmed that they also didn't want five guys protecting one girl, they looked at different options (active role for Athena or other girls -which is what Legend of Sanctuary did, or brand new girl added to the team...) and this was the one that worked best for them. Making Shun less of a sissy was kind of obvious because there's no way you can make a character who keeps crying for help, and then switching him to a her is actually kind of funny. But the same guy as earlier did comment they did that while keeping in mind the stuff that'll happen to Shun along the story. Anyway I'm expecting a couple more gender swaps among the Gold Saints, except we won't see them yet and these arcs already have June, Marin and Shaina so who knows if more girls will show up.
Shun has no mask and Marin has one, some """fans""" are going nuts over it but the trailer made it a lot less strange by putting Marin at the end mirroring the Pope at the beginning (who also wears a mask). I'm assuming so far that it won't be a general rule, just something for those who want it (and it wouldn't be bad to see more random men wear one for no reason).
Also Cassios becomes a Black Knight, interesting change. As long as he returns for the Aiolia fight and his relationship with Shaina is maintained. That would actually make him one of the more interesting characters, with a really meaningful sacrifice in season 2 and not so random, actually.
Also they mentioned that some characters will have their name changed, to reflect their nationality. Screw the old-fashioned habit that Japan has of making their foreigners "not too foreign" by making them half Japanese, and it would fit Netflix trying to sell it all over the world. And Shiryu (how do you read his name in Chinese ? Better get used to it) calls his attack in Chinese while Seiya calls his own in Japanese, that'll match Hyoga calling his own in Russian like he always did in the manga, nice.
FTR here's the Twitter rant from the guy who decided to swap Shun's gender.

I wonder if people in the US will finally start giving a shit about this series with that, or if only Latin America and Europe as usual will care (although Shun seems to be pissing off a lot of them, but that's just good riddance). Netflix is trying hard to make it passable for US audience.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:23:33 pm by Byakko