YesNoOk

Adding custom portraits in Fighter Factory crashes upon attempting to save (Read 2336 times)

Started by ironminer888, November 09, 2018, 05:12:47 am
Share this topic:
Adding custom portraits in Fighter Factory crashes upon attempting to save
#1  November 09, 2018, 05:12:47 am
    • Canada
Hello. I just created this account to get help for my problem. I'm trying to overwrite the default portraits of a Mugen character using Fighter Factory 5.3. My process was that I used the "open image as sprite" feature to overwrite the old image, set the new portrait's palette to the palette that most closely matches it. However, 2 problems occur:

• When I try to save the updated portraits, Fighter Factory complains about "%n errors" and asks if I want to fix it automatically. If I do, then the program crashes and wipes the SFF file completely.
  • Other times, it looks like the new portraits are being handled properly, but the program hangs for a few second and just crashes instead.

The screenpack I'm developing for is this one: http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/a-bit-reverse-tournament-reborn-edition--176121.0.html (A Bit Reverse Tournament Reborn by Frank_9926)

The character that I'm trying to inject the custom ports into is this one: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsuDGXkSumNWg44uuENDJ_PGU5cyKQ (Mr. Game and Watch by GIF_Mr.T/Nodog)

The custom portraits are here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsuDGXkSumNWg44tIHeehBA9uW818w

Please help me!
Re: Adding custom portraits in Fighter Factory crashes upon attempting to save
#2  November 09, 2018, 08:16:40 am
    • Morocco
I'd suggest using ff3 since its more stable and less buggy
#3  November 09, 2018, 10:51:14 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I would suggest just trying to import the first portrait in as a random number. Don't force or change the palette. Just see if you can import and then save the file.
I've yet to switch over to FFS full time. I still use FF3 predominantly. You may have better luck with it. 

You dont have to worry about replacing/overwriting the existing sprite. Heck, you dont even have to delete it. Import your sprite, rename the original sprite off of 9000,0 to something like 9000,1000 and rename the new portrait to 9000,0. You should be good. Repeat for the next 3.

If it does save as a random number, you can try using force palette or adapt to palette. It could possibly be the file.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#4  November 09, 2018, 11:30:18 pm
    • Canada
I would suggest just trying to import the first portrait in as a random number. Don't force or change the palette. Just see if you can import and then save the file.
I've yet to switch over to FFS full time. I still use FF3 predominantly. You may have better luck with it. 

You dont have to worry about replacing/overwriting the existing sprite. Heck, you dont even have to delete it. Import your sprite, rename the original sprite off of 9000,0 to something like 9000,1000 and rename the new portrait to 9000,0. You should be good. Repeat for the next 3.

If it does save as a random number, you can try using force palette or adapt to palette. It could possibly be the file.

Using FF3 appeared to fix the crashing, and my custom stuff looks great. Who would have thought? Thank you!
New #5  November 09, 2018, 11:49:13 pm
    • Canada

Using FF3 appeared to fix the crashing, and my custom stuff looks great. Who would have thought? Thank you!

Alright, so it turns out I lied. Saving does work and FF3 does its best to automatically assign a palette but it just messes up the colors. Any other ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just had to erase the original sprites before adding in my own. Still, you have my thanks.

Edit 2: Never mind again. The colors are still wack. Closer to the original, but didn't keep transparency consistent or anything.

Edit 3: Maybe G&W's all-black body is messing with the auto-palette thing.

FINAL EDIT I PROMISE: Some re-arranging of the palettes later, I can confirm that it was the all-black body that was messing with the auto-palette.
Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:27:07 am by ironminer888